Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Tebow's camp is privately admitting he's done in the NFL

Dustin

He probably is done as a QB, Ya know its bad when members inside his own camp are supposedly saying he is done, I use the word supposedly because that article makes one big assumption I think using the words MAY HAVE, Still it might be close to the truth

I wouldn't be shocked to see him switch gears and become a TE or something.

Or go to the CFL and work on his mechanics and other things.  His other traits are desirable.  Only problem is, I dunno that you can ever get rid of the circus that comes with him so even if he does work out to being a decent backup option, teams might still avoid him due to all of the attention he brings.

Or go to the CFL and work on his mechanics and other things.  His other traits are desirable.  Only problem is, I dunno that you can ever get rid of the circus that comes with him so even if he does work out to being a decent backup option, teams might still avoid him due to all of the attention he brings.

Thing is he dont bring that attention, the media does

Thing is he dont bring that attention, the media does

That is part of his problem right there.  Never heard of a player who's been harmed by media attention the way he has been. . . at least not without that player having done something bad first to get that attention.  (I'm thinking of like Mike Vick, but even that dude got another shot.)

He'd be an upgrade in Jacksonville, but they probably don't want that distraction or they want to throw the season for a top draft pick and get Bridgewater.

He might be able to land on team if he was willing to try another position.  But again the attention you get for having him on your team makes experimenting with him at TE or RB just not worth the effort.  

tebow should be a rb

That is part of his problem right there.  Never heard of a player who's been harmed by media attention the way he has been. . . at least not without that player having done something bad first to get that attention.  (I'm thinking of like Mike Vick, but even that dude got another shot.)

He'd be an upgrade in Jacksonville, but they probably don't want that distraction or they want to throw the season for a top draft pick and get Bridgewater.

He might be able to land on team if he was willing to try another position.  But again the attention you get for having him on your team makes experimenting with him at TE or RB just not worth the effort.  

The media is going to cover the guy that they feel they can get the biggest story from, Tim has been open about his faith....Not nearly as big a deal as the media makes it but it is the backdrop of all the media gravitating to him, I dont believe its Tebows fault for the media coverage of him just because he wont shy away from talking about his faith, If there is fault in any of it its the medias ridiculous obsession with a player over his faith and not his skills

He's too slow. Plus, what does he offer over the many other running back free agents?

tebowmania? haha. the guy is tough runner and is hard to bring down. he has good speed and can runover tacklers

I don't get why people say he should go to the CFL.  The CFL is more of a passing league than the NFL.  It has 3 downs instead of 4, a larger field, and the slot receivers are allowed to start running from behind the LOS before the ball is snapped.  Personally, I don't think he should be a TE because I don't think his hands/WR awareness is good enough.  But I think he could be a decent RB.  He's got decent speed and can bulldoze over defenders.  Jon Gruden thinks he could be Mike Alstott 2.0

The media is going to cover the guy that they feel they can get the biggest story from, Tim has been open about his faith....Not nearly as big a deal as the media makes it but it is the backdrop of all the media gravitating to him, I dont believe its Tebows fault for the media coverage of him just because he wont shy away from talking about his faith, If there is fault in any of it its the medias ridiculous obsession with a player over his faith and not his skills

You think the media is not obsessed over Tebow and his lack of skill?    Really?

You think the media is not obsessed over Tebow and his lack of skill?    Really?

Not sure how you got that idea from my post, I think its a very obvious fact that the media in general has been obsessed with Tebow, Because of his beliefs and the fact that he does not shy away from talking about them, They certainly dont cover him because he is a good QB, The media enjoys a good story and more often then not they love to make a story out of nothing and run with it for ratings, hits to there site or whatever media source they come from, The Tebow mania that the media was primarily responsible for is an excellent example

Not sure how you got that idea from my post, I think its a very obvious fact that the media in general has been obsessed with Tebow, Because of his beliefs and the fact that he does not shy away from talking about them, They certainly dont cover him because he is a good QB, The media enjoys a good story and more often then not they love to make a story out of nothing and run with it for ratings, hits to there site or whatever media source they come from, The Tebow mania that the media was primarily responsible for is an excellent example

I both hi-lited, and put into bold italics the part that gave me that idea....     these are your words...

"If there is fault in any of it its the medias ridiculous obsession with a player over his faith and not his skills."

My reading of what you wrote is that you think the media is more obsessed with Tebow over his religious views and not over his lack of QB skills.   That the religious aspect of his life is more interesting to the media than his lack of skills are.   That's what your words say to me.    That's where I got that view from.   The sentence I've cut and pasted here...

I both hi-lited, and put into bold italics the part that gave me that idea....     these are your words...

"If there is fault in any of it its the medias ridiculous obsession with a player over his faith and not his skills."

My reading of what you wrote is that you think the media is more obsessed with Tebow over his religious views and not over his lack of QB skills.   That the religious aspect of his life is more interesting to the media than his lack of skills are.   That's what your words say to me.    That's where I got that view from.   The sentence I've cut and pasted here...

Your correct, The vast majority would much rather talk about his "Tebowing" and exploiting his readiness to share his religious views.....absolutely ridiculous.....then his skills as a QB or lack there of, The media.....as usual........found something that they could make a story out of and exploit and they did it masterfully from having full blown debates on him and his skills as a QB and his readiness to speak of his religious views to a comment here or a comment there when they could tie him in with a topic being discussed as a means to keep his name in the headlines because many are gullible enough to eat up whatever the media feeds them and that gets ratings, hits and so forth....Tell me.......There have been plenty of other bad QB's since the dawn of the media explosion........Where was there so much scrutinized and debated coverage on them?

He's athletically talented. He's a lion of a competitor. 

But he's also toxic by his own devices. He wanted to use his fame to bear witness to god, and that created a sensation. One he took full advantage of. This sensation is now a permanent part of him, and teams want as few distractions as possible. 

This really ticks me off (no disrespect to you Gavin). 

When people try to blame the media for Tebowmania. Or relentless coverage of Jodi Arias. Or the "shocking" death of Anna Nicole Smith. 

I'm here to tell you, the media doesn't fill their time-slot with specific content unless it gets ratings. Tebowmania got ratings, but why? Because there are enough *s in this world to fill the Pacific ocean well above it's brim. 

Tebowmania is no more or less ridiculous than those tabloid rags that fill the grocery store end-caps as you check-out. Filled with distorted facts, slander and lies over celebrities, PEOPLE BUY THEM. Millions and millions of people buy them. 

People love polarizing figures, and Tebow is exactly that. So don't blame the media. Don't take that short-cut to thinking. It's "our" fault. We consume this garbage and beg for more. 

There have been plenty of other bad QB's since the dawn of the media explosion........Where was there so much scrutinized and debated coverage on them?

Bad quarterbacks aren't interesting nor are they polarizing. They're dull. 

NOW....a bad quarterback that millions of rabid fans think is so great (even though he's obviously not a good NFL QB) just because of his faith......now that is polarizing. 

So who do we blame? The anti-religious crowd that wishes to see him fail because, in their minds, it would stand as some kind of perverted proof that there is no god? Or....Tebow's rabid, delusional religious fans that wish for him to succeed because, in their minds, it would stand as some kind of perverted proof that there is a god. 

I cite; Tebow's 316 game. What happened there was very interesting to an objective voyeur as myself. I enjoyed the show. People and their various sicknesses amuse me greatly. 

You think the media is not obsessed over Tebow and his lack of skill? Really?

The media has been known to go after people who openly talk about their faith. This does not mean he's shoving it down people's throats like many try to say. There's a difference.

The media has been known to go after people who openly talk about their faith. This does not mean he's shoving it down people's throats like many try to say. There's a difference.

To be fair, Tebow's zealot fans were responsible for much of that. 

Maybe you could provide us with an example of the media "going after" Tim Tebow? 

Fans influence the media and their stories? If that's the case, the media would have been praising and not ridiculing his faith.

http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/american-family-association-attacks-tim-tebow-gets-attacked-by-its-own-supporters/news/2013/02/22/60987

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/05/why-are-christian-athletes-still-being-crucified-by-sports-media/

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-wilson/2012/03/27/media-continue-anti-religious-attacks-tebow

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/bernie-goldberg-turns-tebow-discussion-into-soapbox-on-religion-ridiculous-to-think-the-earth-is-6000-years-old’/

http://technorati.com/sports/football/article/tim-tebows-faith-makes-him-target/

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8975694&src=desktop

http://m.newsbusters.org/blogs/paul-wilson/2011/10/21/nfl-analysts-tim-tebow-hated-because-his-faith

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/11/tim-tebow-responds-to-jake-plummers-comments-on-his-faith/1#.UaoJU2S9Kc0

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2011/11/22/how-did-tim-tebow-respond-to-critic-telling-him-to-tone-down-jesus-talk/

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/2011/11/08/tim-tebow-under-fire-for-faith/

There's a ton more.

I'm not reading through 10 articles to dig for your point. 

Perhaps you could use your own sources better by summarizing in your post as to what exactly you perceive as attacks on him by actual media outlets (not sports blogs etc)? 

We all know he's been attacked. 

....and yes, the viewers directly influence what the media reports. They use polls and focus groups to decide what people find interesting. People find polarizing figures like Tebow to be compelling. Heck....I'm so sick of this matter, I taste bile at the very mention of TT's name. Yet ....here I am (again) talking about Tebow (again). 

About what constitutes an "attack"; 

Hearing fan opinion that some of them are sick of his religious spiel, well that's not an attack, that's a response to an overt action by Tebow.

Wear your personal beliefs on your sleeve and you're going to hear about it, in mass. I'm pretty sure that if there was an NFL star named Abdul Mohammed Sharif and he gave praise to the Allah and the prophet Mohammed at every turn, stopping at center field after victories, facing West and bowing, constantly bearing witness to the Islamic faith......I betcha we'd see some mighty strong backlash from those in the Tebow camp, quickly revealing the inherent hypocrisy of their ilk. 

Many people want their sports free of politics and religion. Many people, myself included, find it offensive that some players take advantage of their exposure to quiet the thrill of the victory for a moment of religious observance. 

There are MANY beliefs among our species. People seeking refuge in sports fandom from all the bad news of the day, the stress of the week, do not want to be suffered to hear prayers and witness being given. It's disrespectful and insulting. 

I'm not reading through 10 articles to dig for your point.

Perhaps you could use your own sources better by summarizing in your post as to what exactly you perceive as attacks on him by actual media outlets (not sports blogs etc)?

We all know he's been attacked.

....and yes, the viewers directly influence what the media reports. They use polls and focus groups to decide what people find interesting. People find polarizing figures like Tebow to be compelling. Heck....I'm so sick of this matter, I taste bile at the very mention of TT's name. Yet ....here I am (again) talking about Tebow (again).

About what constitutes an "attack";

Hearing fan opinion that some of them are sick of his religious spiel, well that's not an attack, that's a response to an overt action by Tebow.

Wear your personal beliefs on your sleeve and you're going to hear about it, in mass. I'm pretty sure that if there was an NFL star named Abdul Mohammed Sharif and he gave praise to the Allah and the prophet Mohammed at every turn, stopping at center field after victories, facing West and bowing, constantly bearing witness to the Islamic faith......I betcha we'd see some mighty strong backlash from those in the Tebow camp, quickly revealing the inherent hypocrisy of their ilk.

Many people want their sports free of politics and religion. Many people, myself included, find it offensive that some players take advantage of their exposure to quiet the thrill of the victory for a moment of religious observance.

There are MANY beliefs among our species. People seeking refuge in sports fandom from all the bad news of the day, the stress of the week, do not want to be suffered to hear prayers and witness being given. It's disrespectful and insulting.

You asked for examples, I gave em. The media seems to jump on anything critical of him, and then continue to show it, while others like Matt birk makes comments that I never even knew about cause it wasn't that widely discussed not at length.

If you know he's attacked, why ask?

Viewers yes but not fans if a specific player. You blames it squarely on one group of individuals. There's a difference that you seem to not care to recognize.

And who is in this tebow camp you talk about? All non-Islamic people? Your generalizing here but not earlier in tebows zealots. And what inherent hypocrisy are you talking about? Again, is this strictly with tebows fans or are you, what seems to be, talking about Christianity in general. You need to elaborate more or choose your words more carefully because now your getting into a theological debate that cannot be won because it seems you have a dislike for religion that cannot be changed. You seem to assume that all Christians are the same. But then again, intolerance of another religion is not hypocritical in Christianity. All religions teach intolerance in some manner because they want more followers. Islam is no different. When you talk about "religious tolerance," you need to define what you mean because there are different understandings of the term. In one sense, it means religious freedom. I believe in religious freedom. This is America and we have a Constitutional right to worship as we so choose. This is a very different meaning of the word "tolerance" than freedom. religious freedom and being told to refrain from speaking our opinions are diametrically opposed. You can't have it both ways! Either I have religious freedom or I don't. I have a right to speak my mind, and you have the same right. If someone says that Islam is of the Devil, you have no right to accuse them of being "intolerant." If religious tolerance means freedom, then you are the one being intolerant for trying to silence them.

They have a right to use that platform and just cause you find it offensive matters not. That just shows your intolerance more.

And it is neither disrespectful or insulting. How does anyone know if someone will be insulted. What's insulting to some is not to others. If you say your not interested to them and they continue to push, then that could be. But otherwise it is within their right and taught in their religion, along with all others, to share their faith. Any religion that does not, does not survive.

Oh ps. A sports blog is a media outlet.

To be fair, Tebow's zealot fans were responsible for much of that. 

Maybe you could provide us with an example of the media "going after" Tim Tebow? 

It was all over from little comments to full fledged debates about Tebow, Do people eat it up? Of course, thats obvious, Im not exonerating them but heck you dont even have to be a football fan or watch sports to hear about Tebow, Do fans have to believe everything they hear? Of course not and they should not and those fans that you saw "Tebowing" on tv wanted nothing more then attention but that attention was not created by Tebow taking a knee and praying, That was created by the media force feeding (unless you live in a box)fans and using Tebows religious beliefs as the central fire of it, Should people be so gullible? Of course not,Its ridiculous and no doubt some used it as you say as a means to justify some religious belief but Tebow taking a knee and praying is no more a justifiable reason that there is a higher power of whatever sort then some average person doing it, Bottom line is the media has to be held accountable for the trash they put over the tv/radio/internet/whatever just as much as regular people, Its a 2 way street

You asked for examples, I gave em. The media seems to jump on anything critical of him, and then continue to show it, while others like Matt birk makes comments that I never even knew about cause it wasn't that widely discussed not at length.

If you know he's attacked, why ask?

I asked for specific examples of recognized media outlets (I assumed you meant major news outlets) directly attacking Tebow. I'm sure it's occurred, I just have no idea of when and whom may have done this.

When I asked for examples, I didn't mean for you to provide me with an afternoon full of reading. 

Just copy'n'paste whatever quote from whatever link and I'd be glad to read that. 

Viewers yes but not fans if a specific player. You blames it squarely on one group of individuals. There's a difference that you seem to not care to recognize.

I wasn't being that specific. I was simply saying that the media's reports are their product. They can't sell their product if nobody is buying. People "care" about Tebow in a seemingly strict love/hate fashion. 

And who is in this tebow camp you talk about?

Anyone whom supports a crappy QB so ardently is doing so for some other reason than football. 

And what inherent hypocrisy are you talking about? Again, is this strictly with tebows fans or are you, what seems to be, talking about Christianity in general.

We're wandering well into forbidden discussion. Suffice to say, all beliefs, spiritual, religious and political seem to carry some semblance of hypocrisy due to the environment of exclusion and separation that come with such practices. In other words, when people firmly and deeply believe in something, anything, they don't want to hear other people prattling on about differing beliefs. 

The rest of your post I won't touch because me thinks I hear Nadine's footsteps a comin, and she sounds mighty angry  :)

It is possible to discuss the propriety of Tebows espousal of his religion without actually debating religion. I'm referring to the sensibilities of some fans being assaulted by religious witnessing when they're just trying to watch football, not have their own beliefs questioned. 

I am not religious, but I will fight viciously for anyone's right to believe what they wish to believe. If I'm a Muslim, a Jew.....I don't want Christian verbiage invading my football time. 

But I guess my question is WHY.  Kurt Warner and Troy Palumalu are just as open about their faith as Tebow is.  The only difference I can figure is that Tebow is also good looking.

But I guess my question is WHY.  Kurt Warner and Troy Palumalu are just as open about their faith as Tebow is.  The only difference I can figure is that Tebow is also good looking.

Kurt Warner is out of the game, Polamalu rarely gives interviews but when he does he will bring up his faith from time to time, Its still not about Tebow being open about his faith, Its the phrase "tebowing" someone refered to praying as Tebowing (Im not sure who started that) and the media helped milk it for all its worth because controversy sells and religion is controversial to many, I certainly dot agree with the coverage it got, he got covered for the wrong reasons and he did very little if anything (that I remember) to squash all that talk. Either way the media blew it up to be something it should have never been

They didn't have Tebow's marketing team.  And they weren't making super bowl commercials before they were even drafted.  Don't doubt that he and his team had a large hand in making the hype.  If he'd been a better player he could've been bigger than Jordan.  Instead the whole thing folded in like a house of cards.

They didn't have Tebow's marketing team. And they weren't making super bowl commercials before they were even drafted. Don't doubt that he and his team had a large hand in making the hype. If he'd been a better player he could've been bigger than Jordan. Instead the whole thing folded in like a house of cards.

You get me.

They didn't have Tebow's marketing team.  And they weren't making super bowl commercials before they were even drafted.  Don't doubt that he and his team had a large hand in making the hype.  If he'd been a better player he could've been bigger than Jordan.  Instead the whole thing folded in like a house of cards.

Hes not the first player to be making commercials that early

Tebow's issues were created by the media. If they gave him no attention he wouldn't be able to evangelize. I have no problem with his beliefs because I share them....but I've never seen anyone attacked to death so much...or screwtinized. I mean lets be honest...Tim Tebow would have gave the Jets a better chance to win then Mark Sanchez...and the Jags and the Chiefs (last year) and Arizona (last year) and the Colts the year we didn't have Peyton and obviously his Bronco team when he played. Fact is he isn't conventional...he isn't the best passer but that doesn't mean he couldn't win games or get better. He may not be a better passer than a majority of nfl qbs but he might be a better leader/winner than a lot. He got people web hits...sold papers and got viewers and the media USED him....and he used the media to advance his beliefs. That said he could go start for Jacksonville next week and if the media would ignore him the way they did Blaine Gabbert....treat him the same....he could have a decent career there....or at least get his shot. The media won't allow it...and it kills any opportunity he has at being a backup as well. I feel bad but it is definately the MEDIA's fault. They can choose to ignore him....but they won't. They single him out for $$$. Cover him like half the other QBs in the league and there would be no issue.