Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Diem And Reitz Are Both Hurt

1959Colts

According to Irsays latest Twitter...

Twitter Jim Irsay

Injury Report: OUT- Manning. DNP- K.Collins, R.Diem, B.Eldridge, F.Moala, J.Reitz, E.Simms. FULL PART- A.Bethea, D.Freeney

5 hours ago

If both of these guys miss the game...

Who plays guard along with Pollak?

There gonna put in Olsen at LG, and Pollak at RG. If one of them get's injured, I would think Ijalana would play LG or RG.

Why the heck are we not playing Ijalana? If those guys are hurt and we don't start Ijalana, I'm gonna be pretty miffed about that. They need to start letting him get some on the field experience. What do we have to lose?

Im guessing Seth Olson, or Ben ijalana.

Ijalana has taken no snaps at guard to my knowledge (it is possiable he has been taking some this week in practice) so if he does he's going to be learning on the fly. I would lean towards Olson. Although the fact the Colts haven't made a move to get an extra lineman (this would leave the Colts with only six healthy for the game on Monday) tells me they expect either Diem or Reitz if not both to play.

Why the heck are we not playing Ijalana? If those guys are hurt and we don't start Ijalana, I'm gonna be pretty miffed about that. They need to start letting him get some on the field experience. What do we have to lose?

Because just because we have a need for a lineman does not make a guy ready. When Ijalana came out the word on him was he could very well develop into the best tackle in the draft but the reason he slide to round two is that he was thought to be raw and needed to be developed. That's not going to happen over night. Also tossing a guy out her before he is ready can do more harm than good. You can ruin a kid real fast if you play him too soon. Watching Ijalana in the pre-season he only did okay vs. other teams second and third stringers. So I am guessing he still needs work. Also the Colts need help a guard. If Ijalana hasn't taken snaps at guard he might not do us any good there. It's a different poistion than tackle, just look at Link last year when we threw him in at guard. I want Ijalana to be a stud as much as the next person but he might not be like Castonzo and be NFL ready out of the gate some players need time to develop.

Since when did Irsay become the PR rep for the team?

Is he trying to save money in order to bring in another QB?

Someone really needs to break in his house and steal ALL his computers and phones!

Only if I can grab a Ferrari or two on the way out. :P

I doubt Reitz injury is serious, Diem has been out for the past two games... I would think if Reitz cant go they would move Link go guard and start Ijalana at RT.... Sounds like Sims is slowly getting better.

If they move Link back to guard again he will get Painter killed in a matter of a few plays. He's a 1000 times worse at guard than he is at Tackle.

Wow, figures the Colts could really use guys like Charlie Johnson, Kyle Devan or Ryan Lilja this year. They all play for sucky teams, "yes the Eagles suck.". They must've not thought about how perhaps 1-2 starters on the OL could be injured. Hopefully Pollack and Big Ben, (not fatsburger) will step up. Colts injuries seem like they want to compete with last year on a team already missing their star.

I agree with Jack on this one, Ijalana needs to get thrown into the fire. Unfortunately the Colts are not going anywhere this season, and the talent of young players and frankly all the personnel for that matter need to be evaluated. This is on both sides of the field, and while it is true that there was some talk about Ijalana really developing into a "Good Tackle" as they called him, there was also a lot of speculation that he could be a "DOMINANT GUARD." Since he possesses a good pass protection skill set and was called a "MAULER" in run blocking. Colts need to find out what he is cut out for NOW, since this can be a rebuilding year and evaluation time, because when #18 is back, I want Lombardi’s!

I agree with Jack on this one, Ijalana needs to get thrown into the fire. Unfortunately the Colts are not going anywhere this season, and the talent of young players and frankly all the personnel for that matter need to be evaluated. This is on both sides of the field, and while it is true that there was some talk about Ijalana really developing into a "Good Tackle" as they called him, there was also a lot of speculation that he could be a "DOMINANT GUARD." Since he possesses a good pass protection skill set and was called a "MAULER" in run blocking. Colts need to find out what he is cut out for NOW, since this can be a rebuilding year and evaluation time, because when #18 is back, I want Lombardi’s!

He is a very big wide body, he could potentially be a good guard. It seems like the tackles are taller & lanky to block against ends. I could see Ben having a very tough time against speedy defensive ends but as a guard I can see him playing good blocking LB's, DTs and playing well creating some holes for the running game. Castanzo is the epitome physically for a tackle, IMO (very tall, strong, long arms). Ben even though he is a tackle doesn't seem to have that build and seems more physically built for a guard position. Can't hurt to give him a whirl at guard or tackle in their current situation.

Irsay neeeds to stop tweeting and act like an owner. Fix the problems or play with your game boy instead.

Fix the problems? That's the GM's job which is exactly why Irsay hired Polian because when he was the guy who did fix the problems is when the Colts took a QB first overal three times in 15 years.

He can tweet all he wants. He's not hurting anyone by doing it. I kinda find it funny that for years fans have complained that the Colts don't give out enough information and now someone is and people are complaining about it and telling him to stop. I guess i just find it funny people are complaining about Irsay tweeting in general. If I made a list of the Colts problems Irsay's tweet would be very near the bottom of the list.

He is a very big wide body, he could potentially be a good guard. It seems like the tackles are taller & lanky to block against ends. I could see Ben having a very tough time against speedy defensive ends but as a guard I can see him playing good blocking LB's, DTs and playing well creating some holes for the running game. Castanzo is the epitome physically for a tackle, IMO (very tall, strong, long arms). Ben even though he is a tackle doesn't seem to have that build and seems more physically built for a guard position. Can't hurt to give him a whirl at guard or tackle in their current situation.

Two words: Tarik Glenn. He wasn't exactly the tall, lanky type. He didn't have any problems with speed rushers at all.

The way I see it, the Colts see Ijalana as the future starter at RT. If so, they're wise in letting him concentrate on that one position, rather than potentially stunting his growth by throwing too many things at him.

Malakai- I think we both agree that Ijalana could become a dominant Guard, although he has the skill set to play Tackle.

MouthFire- I agree with you also that he could play Right Tackle and putting him at Guard could potentially stunt his growth if that is the position he is going to play. But there is no doubt he has the skill set in pass protection to be a tackle, and the nasty grit and mauling ability to be a Guard, I think whichever direction the Colts are going to go with Ijalana, they need to evaluate him and find out now, that means putting him in the starting lineup, what better way to learn than to get reps. All the repetition now is going to give the staff a better understanding :

1. If he is a Guard or Tackle
  2. If they need to pursue another Guard or Tackle in the draft or free agency
  3. If he will be ready to protect MANNING next year, this means he needs to get the kinks, rookie mistakes and the errors out now, while its Painter/Collins

Malakai- I think we both agree that Ijalana could become a dominant Guard, although he has the skill set to play Tackle.

MouthFire- I agree with you also that he could play Right Tackle and putting him at Guard could potentially stunt his growth if that is the position he is going to play. But there is no doubt he has the skill set in pass protection to be a tackle, and the nasty grit and mauling ability to be a Guard, I think whichever direction the Colts are going to go with Ijalana, they need to evaluate him and find out now, that means putting him in the starting lineup, what better way to learn than to get reps. All the repetition now is going to give the staff a better understanding :

3. If he will be ready to protect MANNING next year, this means he needs to get the kinks, rookie mistakes and the errors out now, while its Painter/Collins

He's a tackle, Polian said that himself in camp. The only people who keep talking about him at guard are the fans. Caldwell didn't completely rule it largely because he never rules anything out just in case something happens that causes him to go back on it such as the Colts maybe being down to one bench player on the o-line this Monday and that guy probably being Ijalana if someone gets hurt he'll have to step in at guard to get them out of the game. It doesn't make him a guard though.

Two words: Tarik Glenn. He wasn't exactly the tall, lanky type. He didn't have any problems with speed rushers at all.

Tarik was a beast but still was 6'5 330+ pounds and had those long arms still. I know Big Ben Plays tackle for the most part and could be a very good one down the road, but at the same time he could probably be thrown in @ guard as well and MIGHT be solid. Regardless, maybe it's time to see him start in action, we'll find out soon.

Not a knock on you bro but it’s not as if Polian has never made a mistake on evaluating talent in the draft before. Not him, he produces superb draft after superb draft. Seriously though, his intentions may be to have Ijalana play right tackle, but that doesn’t mean that’s what he is cut out for or all he could play because Polian says so? Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both praised him as having versatility to play Tackle or Guard, as well as other members of different college projections on ESPN, CBS Sports, Etc… They even said he would be well suited to play Guard and I did a lot of research on players Colt’s drafted and didn’t draft before and after the draft. But since Polian says so, in Polian we must trust? :unsure: Sorry I am not buying it!

Not a knock on you bro but it’s not as if Polian has never made a mistake on evaluating talent in the draft before. Not him, he produces superb draft after superb draft. Seriously though, his intentions may be to have Ijalana play right tackle, but that doesn’t mean that’s what he is cut out for or all he could play because Polian says so? Mel Kiper and Todd McShay both praised him as having versatility to play Tackle or Guard, as well as other members of different college projections on ESPN, CBS Sports, Etc… They even said he would be well suited to play Guard and I did a lot of research on players Colt’s drafted and didn’t draft before and after the draft. But since Polian says so, in Polian we must trust? :unsure: Sorry I am not buying it!

So you're taking the word of draft analysts and draft sites that get hundreds of things wrong every yr. over one of the best GM's in the game? Im not defending Polian because im not a Polian defender, but seriously, how can any of these guys say Ijalana can make a good guard when the guy has never played guard before? Something is not right in that logic.

If they move Link back to guard again he will get Painter killed in a matter of a few plays. He's a 1000 times worse at guard than he is at Tackle.

I thought he did well at guard? idk but it just doesnt make sense to me.... if Ben is the future LT why isnt he starting and they are letting Link get all the reps, it doesnt make any sense.

Because just because we have a need for a lineman does not make a guy ready. When Ijalana came out the word on him was he could very well develop into the best tackle in the draft but the reason he slide to round two is that he was thought to be raw and needed to be developed. That's not going to happen over night. Also tossing a guy out her before he is ready can do more harm than good. You can ruin a kid real fast if you play him too soon. Watching Ijalana in the pre-season he only did okay vs. other teams second and third stringers. So I am guessing he still needs work. Also the Colts need help a guard. If Ijalana hasn't taken snaps at guard he might not do us any good there. It's a different poistion than tackle, just look at Link last year when we threw him in at guard. I want Ijalana to be a stud as much as the next person but he might not be like Castonzo and be NFL ready out of the gate some players need time to develop.

Honestly I always thought this was a big factor in Ugoh not working out. If I recall, all of the talk in that draft was that he was being drafted to sit behind Glenn for a year and then take over the year after. However Glenn retired before the start of the next season so Ugoh was thrown in before he was ready and it just didn't work.

Don't you think he's being evaluated every day in practice? People keep saying to throw him in, it can't hurt....but if he's not ready then it could very well get either a RB or Painter hurt. Ijalana will play when the staff thinks he's ready. We're only now coming up on the 4th game, still 12 more to go if he doesn't play a snap against TB so there's still more than enough time to let him continue to develop and move him into the lineup when they feel he's ready.

Ijalana is the future RT. For all the fans who are asking, what would it hurt to stick him in now? Well, he's never actually played RT before now. And you can seriously ruin a young player's confidence by putting him in before he's ready. Just ask Curtis Painter....

Believe me, the Colts are doing the right thing by not throwing him the wolves right away....

Gosh, just when you think the O-line overall had a good game vs the Steelers except for 1 mistake, these things happen. They are falling like flies (it happens, I guess) and it is only game 4, the Colts probably should scour the waiver wire to add one more guard, IMO, to be on the safe side. Let us hope Seth Olsen works out, not a great foundation for Painter in front of him for his first MNF start :(.

Ijalana is the future RT. For all the fans who are asking, what would it hurt to stick him in now? Well, he's never actually played RT before now. And you can seriously ruin a young player's confidence by putting him in before he's ready. Just ask Curtis Painter....

Believe me, the Colts are doing the right thing by not throwing him the wolves right away....

I dont think thats quite true, you are drafted because you have the potential to be an NFL player nothing more is gonna better you than playing time... the only thing that will mess with a players confidence is if the team he is on dont have any trust in him.

I dont think thats quite true, you are drafted because you have the potential to be an NFL player nothing more is gonna better you than playing time... the only thing that will mess with a players confidence is if the team he is on dont have any trust in him.

Sure, it's true. Curtis Painter is another example. David Carr is another prime example. The Texans completely mismanaged his development and ruined his career. Who knows how he would've turned out if Houston actually had a competent coaching staff back then.

Ijalana also never played Right Tackle in college, so now all of a sudden he is a Right Tackle? I consider all opinions and view points, I am an equal opportunity listener! So when Kiper and McShay, who both know the game and study countless hours of game tape say the guy is versatile, he has the skill set to be a Tackle or Guard, than why would that be wrong? Ijalana excels in run blocking, he was called a “mauler” with the physicality to play the position, so why is that not an adequate suggestion? I never said he couldn’t play Right Tackle, and Polian has intentions of him playing so, but why does that mean that’s the only position he could play?

We have guys like Painter, Addai, and Carter to lose. Probably a bad scenario for the rest of the season if we decide to play someone that isn't ready just for the sake of trying them out.

Ijalana also never played Right Tackle in college, so now all of a sudden he is a Right Tackle? I consider all opinions and view points, I am an equal opportunity listener! So when Kiper and McShay, who both know the game and study countless hours of game tape say the guy is versatile, he has the skill set to be a Tackle or Guard, than why would that be wrong? Ijalana excels in run blocking, he was called a “mauler” with the physicality to play the position, so why is that not an adequate suggestion? I never said he couldn’t play Right Tackle, and Polian has intentions of him playing so, but why does that mean that’s the only position he could play?

I don't have a problem with giving Ijalana some time at guard, at some point.... just not now, and just not as his primary position.

The Colts invested a high pick in Ben to play offensive tackle. No offense to guards, but the offensive tackle spots are far more important and harder spots to fill. So why the heck do you guys want to make Ijalana a guard? That's like hiring a neurosurgeon to be a janitor... no offense to janitors.

I don't have a problem with giving Ijalana some time at guard, at some point.... just not now, and just not as his primary position.

The Colts invested a high pick in Ben to play offensive tackle. No offense to guards, but the offensive tackle spots are far more important and harder spots to fill. So why the heck do you guys want to make Ijalana a guard? That's like hiring a neurosurgeon to be a janitor... no offense to janitors.

Because then that gives them the excuse to want to draft Matt Kalil at the top of the first round. I agree with you...keep Ijalana and Castanzo at tackle...after all that's what we drafted them for, and then draft to fill G/C or look to FA.

Sure, it's true. Curtis Painter is another example. David Carr is another prime example. The Texans completely mismanaged his development and ruined his career. Who knows how he would've turned out if Houston actually had a competent coaching staff back then.

Curtis is not an example because he only played two games, Carr was like that because he had a horrible line and his throwing motion was never good in the first place its weird... Ppl have to remember these are grown men playing the game, even if they are 22 or 24... there are some ppl who just come out of college and just get it and there are some that will get better eventually... Right now Ben most likely is not getting any reps all he is doing is taking things in off tape, thats not gonna help him get much better... its just like playing guitar, you could know all the tabs in the world and be able to read music.. but that wont help you any if you cant play guitar.