Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Diem And Reitz Are Both Hurt

1959Colts

Smitto, I think I'll trust the Colts front office on this one. Honestly, if they thought he was ready, they would've put him out there already. The truth of it is:

1) He wasn't he most polished LT coming out of college.

2) He didn't face top flight talent in college. Where as most tackles have to adjust to the speed of the NFL after facing the NCAA's top pass rushers (which is hard enough to do), he has to do the same without that benefit. He essentially has to jump two gaps instead of one.

3) He's now going to be playing on the opposite side, meaning he's has to learn to move and react in the opposite manner that he did in college. He essentially has to unlearn a whole 4 years of ingrained muscle memory.

Now on top of being a raw, unpolished rookie tackle that has to unlearn his previous training to learn to play on the mirror opposite side, people want him to learn a whole new position on the opposite side??? I don't think that's a wise move. People seem to forget that this is a really young kid coming right out of college. This isn't some grizzled veteran. No, I think the Colts are doing the right thing by not rushing him.

Smitto, I think I'll trust the Colts front office on this one. Honestly, if they thought he was ready, they would've put him out there already. The truth of it is:

1) He wasn't he most polished LT coming out of college.

2) He didn't face top flight talent in college. Where as most tackles have to adjust to the speed of the NFL after facing the NCAA's top pass rushers (which is hard enough to do), he has to do the same without that benefit. He essentially has to jump two gaps instead of one.

3) He's now going to be playing on the opposite side, meaning he's has to learn to move and react in the opposite manner that he did in college. He essentially has to unlearn a whole 4 years of ingrained muscle memory.

Now on top of being a raw, unpolished rookie tackle that has to unlearn his previous training to learn to play on the mirror opposite side, people want him to learn a whole new position on the opposite side??? I don't think that's a wise move. People seem to forget that this is a really young kid coming right out of college. This isn't some grizzled veteran. No, I think the Colts are doing the right thing by not rushing him.

I already accepted the Colts position despite it being a bit confusing because of their frequent expectation that line members be able to play multiple positions, but the way you laid it out it certainly does sound like it would be moronic to stick him in there.

And you didn't even mention the effects of the lockout.

I already accepted the Colts position despite it being a bit confusing because of their frequent expectation that line members be able to play multiple positions, but the way you laid it out it certainly does sound like it would be moronic to stick him in there.

And you didn't even mention the effects of the lockout.

I actually don't have a problem with Ben learning to play guard at some point... just not now. I'd rather he get established at his projected spot before we start throwing other things at him.

I may be wrong, but I think the Colts are of the same mind.