Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can We Talk Next Draft Without Luck?

mightisright

So I started this topic to talk about next year's draft with people who want to help bring in more talent around Manning. I know I am assuming he will be healthy but for this thread lets give it the benefit of the theoretical doubt. I don't watch college football, so can you guys tell me who to look up that we could realistically get? To help get Manning back to the SB next year! The whole Luck topic has gotten really old for me. People, WE WONT GET THE NUMBER ONE PICK. There are at least 3 other teams worse than us! So can we please talk next year with that in mind? Thanks!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I started this topic to talk about next year's draft with people who want to help bring in more talent around Manning. I know I am assuming he will be healthy but for this thread lets give it the benefit of the theoretical doubt. I don't watch college football, so can you guys tell me who to look up that we could realistically get? To help get Manning back to the SB next year! The whole Luck topic has gotten really old for me. People, WE WONT GET THE NUMBER ONE PICK. There are at least 3 other teams worse than us! So can we please talk next year with that in mind? Thanks!

Oh, and I do think we should address the backup QB situation, just not from the first round. Maybe get a solid veteran FA in the off season or a later round pick. IF Manning is healthy, of course.

Oh, and I do think we should address the backup QB situation, just not from the first round. Maybe get a solid veteran FA in the off season or a later round pick. IF Manning is healthy, of course.

pointless, peyton is gonna be 37 coming off neck surgery to repair nerve cells. whether peyton plays well coming back is irrelevant because peyton is only gonna be around at most 4 years. we have a golden opportunity to solidify our franchise's success for the next 15 years if we get luck. i dont understand why everyone wants to just give peyton weapons just so we can have success for just 4 years. we get luck we have the QB of the future for our franchise. we get peyton weapons and we're putting ourselves in a hole once hes gone. sure we can draft a QB later, but when is there ever gonna be someone like andrew luck again.

Isnt it a bit early to be talking about the draft? personally it doesnt make sense cause ppl will just be bringing up names on who they like and not knowing where they will fall at all.

yeah, but we gotta do something to stave off the depression over this season! Thinking and planning next year's SB run is a welcome distraction. It helps me think about who I need to youtube! And if you don't want to talk actual players, what 3 positions should we draft first?

Fact is, Peyton aint getting no younger, and there is no guarantee that he's even coming back. If Luck is there for us, and he may well be because, right now the only team who may beat us for the pick is the Chiefs and they are financially committed to Cassell, you have to take Luck for the simple reason Peyton Manning coerced Polian to take him all those years ago:

"If you don't, I'm gonna spend the next 15 years kicking your butt."

Even if he doesn't, there's a very, very good chance he could. It'd be better to take a chance and miss than miss on the next generation's Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Aaron Rogers-esque elite QB. Him sitting behind Manning for any amount of time he does is only going to make him that much better when the time comes. It's a rare opportunity to potentially re-stock a top-flight player at a teams most important position for years to come.

If we passed on him, there would eventually be a bunch of people feeling real stupid for doing so in 5 or 6 years when we're trying to get the most of a some mediocre or worse QB and Luck is the leagues new top QB.

I will respect the OP and ignore the Luck discussion. I've already floated the idea out there and I've seen a handful of people propose the same idea, but there's also a certain amount of people who want to disagree. I say we draft Kalil -- the standout left tackle at USC. "Why would you do that when we drafted two tackles last year?" I like the idea of Ijanala at guard. I think he can pull it off. They guy is smart and has solid skills. Then we kick Castanzo over to RT. Allow him to develop this year at LT so that protecting Manning next year won't be as much of a surprise. "But Castanzo plays Lt. That's where he supposed to play." The guy can easily make the transition from the left side to the right side. He's smart and has a solid work ethic that will help him pull off the transition. Then we put Kalil at left tackle, who seems (although it is still early to tell) to be an outstanding prospect at the left tackle position. Almost like a Joe Thomas or Jake Long type. Then our O line has the potential to look like this: Kalil, Reitz, Pollack (I'm guessing Saturday will consider retirement), Ijanala (same goes for Diem) Castanzo. So if we draft a young QB later in the draft at least we will have a solid O line to protect whoever is behind center. Plus we get to run the ball -- something we've not been accustomed to. The point is that once Peyton is gone, the Colts will no longer be the same team. No more no huddles (not immediately anyways); no more hurrying to the line to catch a lazy defense off sides or in the middle of their rotation; no more quick releases. The odds are we will have to focus on being a more balanced team. What's so wrong with that? Run. Pass. Play action. Keep our D off the field. A Solid offensive line is key to our overall play. And even better, they'll be young. So they can only get better for years to come.

Now I welcome that guy who is going to say, "No, no, no. We drafted two tackles last year."

Fact is, Peyton aint getting no younger, and there is no guarantee that he's even coming back. If Luck is there for us, and he may well be because, right now the only team who may beat us for the pick is the Chiefs and they are financially committed to Cassell, you have to take Luck for the simple reason Peyton Manning coerced Polian to take him all those years ago:

"If you don't, I'm gonna spend the next 15 years kicking your butt."

Even if he doesn't, there's a very, very good chance he could. It'd be better to take a chance and miss than miss on the next generation's Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Drew Brees/Aaron Rogers-esque elite QB. Him sitting behind Manning for any amount of time he does is only going to make him that much better when the time comes. It's a rare opportunity to potentially re-stock a top-flight player at a teams most important position for years to come.

If we passed on him, there would eventually be a bunch of people feeling real stupid for doing so in 5 or 6 years when we're trying to get the most of a some mediocre or worse QB and Luck is the leagues new top QB.

I agree. If we did not draft Luck and Manning decides his long term health is more important than football next season those same people that said "don't draft Luck" will be griping and complaining to no end that they didn't have the foresight to go ahead and draft him. I heard Dungy say the other night that he thought Peyton would come back and play 1 more season then hang'em up. Now, im sure Dungy probably don't know that for a fact, but so many here tend to take his word as gospel. The fact is that is a real possibility.

I agree. If we did not draft Luck and Manning decides his long term health is more important than football next season those same people that said "don't draft Luck" will be griping and complaining to no end that they didn't have the foresight to go ahead and draft him. I heard Dungy say the other night that he thought Peyton would come back and play 1 more season then hang'em up. Now, im sure Dungy probably don't know that for a fact, but so many here tend to take his word as gospel. The fact is that is a real possibility.

Even if Peyton plays out the rest of his contract as a starter... He could be passing his knowledge along to Luck. Luck is smart, and knows how to ball. But Peyton knows pretty much infinitely more. I mean, even if Peyton is able to teach Luck 5% of the things he knows, and how he operates, that 5% alone is going to make Luck a top 5 QB in the league. I understand wanting to win another Super Bowl for Peyton, and trust me, I want it just as bad as the next guy. But having an elite, league leading QB on my team for the next 15 years is also nearly equally as enticing. Who knows how many Super Bowls we could win under Luck in that time?

I know we could use that high pick to get a good player who can help immediately make our team better, but we could also do the exact same thing through free agency and or trading, and that's the smarter route because we'd be taking a huge swing at immediate success, AND long-term success, and, in this situation with the Luck upside, it would be a win-win.

IMO, I'm tired of all these Andrew Luck threads and all of these next year's draft threads. Either put em in the NFL Draft section, or don't create em at all. Plus it's only been 3 games, so everyone stop getting your panties in a bunch. Just my 2 cents...

yeah, but we gotta do something to stave off the depression over this season! Thinking and planning next year's SB run is a welcome distraction. It helps me think about who I need to youtube! And if you don't want to talk actual players, what 3 positions should we draft first?

It sucks losing but i like watching the individual progressions of the players.. The top 3 positions i think the colts will address... First off i gotta say i dont think the colts need any real help anywhere on their roster except for QB but im saying QB because we dont know how good or bad painter will be, but If the colts choose not to sign reggie back although they said they would then WR obviously, then CB and maybe Center.... cause Diem will be thinking of retiring next year and they way pollack played it looks like he could stay at RG so the colts will need someone to take up Jeff's spot.

If we don't get the 1st pick for Luck then I would go Robert Griffin III in the early 2nd round. I think it would serve him well to learn from Peyton for 2-3 years and it would be skys the limit for him. He has been extremely accurate and throws a beautiful deep ball. He has proven to me he's a pass first QB with the ability to scramble for a lot of yards when a play breaks down. As for the other positions CB,S,WR,OG or another DT is probably our biggest needs.

My updated mock

1 WR Alshon Jeffrey

2 QB Robert Griffin III

3 CB Donnie Fletcher

4 OG Joel Forman

5 SS Tony Dye

6 OLB Zavier Gooden

7 DE Jacquies Smith

IMO, I'm tired of all these Andrew Luck threads and all of these next year's draft threads. Either put em in the NFL Draft section, or don't create em at all. Plus it's only been 3 games, so everyone stop getting your panties in a bunch. Just my 2 cents...

I'm with you...this draft talk after 3 games is nonsense...

Riff- I was the one saying that we should take Kalil and how the one pick would address three positions and really solve the offensive line woe’s and you agreed with me.

Mightisright- There are several threads where we were talking about all the possible draft scenarios already. I think for you to think the Colt’s may not get

the first pick is very unrealistic of you. I am not sure what would make you think otherwise, but the Colts do not look great offensively and defensively, and don’t think because the run d was vastly improved against the Steelers, that all of a sudden the Colts run d is legit. Steelers were on serious reserves for their line and the Colts had and still have their backs against the wall, so they wanted to prove it’s not the Peyton Manning Colts as ESPN has been saying all week! With this said as Colts fans we should want the first pick, it is either going to bring the drafting of Luck (which I personally do not want) or the trading down to acquire picks/players, which I am really hoping for. I think someone else could be selected later in the draft or next year’s draft to be groomed, why take the most anticipated QB out of college since Manning, to sit under him for hopefully4-5 years? Instead I would propose we use this to our advantage to stock pile picks and players, then we could draft players who could be instant contributors to the team!

As far as Colts needs: NT, CB, SS, LB, WR,

I proposed we trade down, acquire picks, take Kalil LT- USC, which would move Castanzo to RT giving the Colts their bookend tackles for years to come and also puts Ijalana in at RG, which most scouts thought he was better suited to play! Then we need to get impact players! CB- Alfonzo Denard Nebraska, LB- Manti’ Te’o Notre Dame, SS- Ray Ray Armstrong Florida, NT- Kawann Short Purdue. To get some of these players Denard/Manti’ Te’o may require trading back into the first round, but we should have the picks to do so!

Riff- I was the one saying that we should take Kalil and how the one pick would address three positions and really solve the offensive line woe’s and you agreed with me.

Mightisright- There are several threads where we were talking about all the possible draft scenarios already. I think for you to think the Colt’s may not get

the first pick is very unrealistic of you. I am not sure what would make you think otherwise, but the Colts do not look great offensively and defensively, and don’t think because the run d was vastly improved against the Steelers, that all of a sudden the Colts run d is legit. Steelers were on serious reserves for their line and the Colts had and still have their backs against the wall, so they wanted to prove it’s not the Peyton Manning Colts as ESPN has been saying all week! With this said as Colts fans we should want the first pick, it is either going to bring the drafting of Luck (which I personally do not want) or the trading down to acquire picks/players, which I am really hoping for. I think someone else could be selected later in the draft or next year’s draft to be groomed, why take the most anticipated QB out of college since Manning, to sit under him for hopefully4-5 years? Instead I would propose we use this to our advantage to stock pile picks and players, then we could draft players who could be instant contributors to the team!

As far as Colts needs: NT, CB, SS, LB, WR,

I proposed we trade down, acquire picks, take Kalil LT- USC, which would move Castanzo to RT giving the Colts their bookend tackles for years to come and also puts Ijalana in at RG, which most scouts thought he was better suited to play! Then we need to get impact players! CB- Alfonzo Denard Nebraska, LB- Manti’ Te’o Notre Dame, SS- Ray Ray Armstrong Florida, NT- Kawann Short Purdue. To get some of these players Denard/Manti’ Te’o may require trading back into the first round, but we should have the picks to do so!

Bmorecolt, you are awesome! I totally agree with you, and usually do. I hadn't really considered taking Kalil, but that makes perfect sense to me, and what better way to insure that Manning doesn't take that career ending hit. I was personally hoping that we'd draft Alshon Jeffery and hopefully get an additional first round pick or maybe have him fall to us with our second round pick, and get Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia(6'5", 348 lbs). I like your idea about Kalil... Do you know where he's projected to be drafted? Then maybe we could get Micheal Floyd, WR from Notre Dame with our second pick...

RIFF- You are awesome because you agreed with my idea and had the exact same thinking process, and great minds think alike!

JackButton- Thank you bro! It’s good to have support on here! On the old forum I used to get criticized for my radical out of the box thinking, which suggested the Colts be more aggressive in free agency and get players who would fit the scheme and could help us win Super bowls.. lol! I like your WR idea to be honest, reason I haven’t gone as far to say we will take Blackmon or Jefferey is because we don’t know what the front office has in mind for Wayne, personally I would like either one if they do not go the Kalil direction and don’t have first pick to trade down from. I would like Floyd in the second round! IFFFF he lasted that far, it’s possible, has some character issues, but he sure can ball! Jeffrey would only fall second round if he got hurt this year, I think it’s very realistic to call him a first rounder! Kalil is around pick 2-4 the link below has a projected ranking system thus far.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012

I like Cordy Glenn direction if Ijalana plays RT, Glenn may not be around come round two! I have mentioned today on a thread the Colt’s need to play their youth, throw Ijalana in the fire now, same with Nevis, Lefeged, Thomas, Rucker.. need to evaluate and see who is going to be around going forward, even Hughes!! There has been a lack in the evaluation of personnel and talent and it really shows with #18 out, shame it took that happening to realize this. On the bright side, could really bough well for the Colts moving forward! I don’t like the idea of Luck, if we get #1, think we could get a lot of picks and impact players to make the difference now and going forward!

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets back up the truck here. Beep beep beep.... I don't know much about college football, but from what ppl say, Andrew Luck is the most NFL ready QB that could be in this up coming draft... no? This is why we do not, draft him. Assuming Manning comes back to full strength, You draft a QB that has all the tools, who will sit behind Manning, and learn from the best. a smart QB. Not the most NFL ready QB. Manning isn't retiring next year that we NEED the most NFL ready QB. If i remember correctly, Polian said that CURTIS PAINTER, had the knowledge, and the tools, of an NFL caliber QB. What makes the most sense to me right now is that they could possibly already have their QB on the roster. Next man up, and hiring guys from within, seems to come to mind for me. Look at our past people... I believe Painter is who they have in mind for after Manning. He just needs playing time right now. Let us see if I am right. We aren't going to draft Mannings replacement. We already have.

Whoa whoa whoa. Lets back up the truck here. Beep beep beep.... I don't know much about college football, but from what ppl say, Andrew Luck is the most NFL ready QB that could be in this up coming draft... no? This is why we do not, draft him. Assuming Manning comes back to full strength, You draft a QB that has all the tools, who will sit behind Manning, and learn from the best. a smart QB. Not the most NFL ready QB. Manning isn't retiring next year that we NEED the most NFL ready QB. If i remember correctly, Polian said that CURTIS PAINTER, had the knowledge, and the tools, of an NFL caliber QB. What makes the most sense to me right now is that they could possibly already have their QB on the roster. Next man up, and hiring guys from within, seems to come to mind for me. Look at our past people... I believe Painter is who they have in mind for after Manning. He just needs playing time right now. Let us see if I am right. We aren't going to draft Mannings replacement. We already have.

you sir are nuts if you think curtis painter is our next qb

If we don't get the 1st pick for Luck then I would go Robert Griffin III in the early 2nd round. I think it would serve him well to learn from Peyton for 2-3 years and it would be skys the limit for him. He has been extremely accurate and throws a beautiful deep ball. He has proven to me he's a pass first QB with the ability to scramble for a lot of yards when a play breaks down. As for the other positions CB,S,WR,OG or another DT is probably our biggest needs.

My updated mock

1 WR Alshon Jeffrey

2 QB Robert Griffin III

3 CB Donnie Fletcher

4 OG Joel Forman

5 SS Tony Dye

6 OLB Zavier Gooden

7 DE Jacquies Smith

Keep in mind I've only had opportunity to watch 1 Baylor game so far, but I'm not sure how well Griffin's abilities will translate to the NFL. Baylor runs a lot of roll-outs and things like that to put Griffin on the move and he reads the defense deciding whether to run or pass. Personally, I don't think his skill set translates very well especially to the Colts. I think they're more likely to go after a guy who can at least somewhat fit into the current offensive scheme, keeping in mind that he may not be able to take on the same responsibilities that Manning does. I'm just being honest and have nothing personal against Griffin, but my honest opinion is he'll just be another Kordell Stewart or Dennis Dixon.

Here is a list of players I've watched closely so far that I think would fit well into the Colt's system either offensively or defensively categorized by the rounds they are currently projected in, keeping in mind that the draft boards will obviously change a lot by the end of the season. I want to point out that there are no offensive linemen and that's because, while I do have the time to watch several games, I can't watch them multiple times to be able to scout different positions and with OL it can be difficult anyway without knowing what type of protection or blocking was called so it's more difficult to know if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing or not. Granted there are obvious times when a guy will completely pancake someone. Also, just from a personal perspective, it's simply not as fun watching the game with my eyes focused on the OL. lol I do think we'll draft at least 1 or 2 on the OL but I don't think it'll be in the first round. I'm thinking a 2nd or 3rd round OG and a 5th or 6th round BPA on the OL.

Round 1

Landry Jones QB 6'4 230 lbs Oklahoma

Matt Barkley, QB, 6'2" 220 lbs, USC

Brandon Thompson, DT, 6'2" 310 lbs Clemson

Dre Kirkpatrick CB 6'2 192 lbs, Alabama

Alshon Jeffery, WR, 6'4 229 lbs, South Carolina

Quinton Coples, DE, 6'6" 285 lbs, North Carolina

Michael Floyd WR 6'3 224 lbs Notre Dame (late 1st/early 2nd)

Manti Te'o OLB 6'2 255 lbs Notre Dame (late 1st/early 2nd)

Round 2

Josh Chapman DT, 6'1" 310 lbs, Alabama (late 1st/early 2nd)

Morris Claiborne, CB 6'1" 185 lbs LSU (late 1st/early 2nd)

Stephon Gilmore, CB, 6'1" 193 lbs, South Carolina

Jeff Fuller, WR, 6'3" 200 lbs Texas A&M (late 1st/early 2nd)

Nick Foles, QB, 6'5" 240 lbs, Arizona (late 1st/early 2nd)

Kirk Cousins, QB, 6'3" 205 lbs Michigan State

Kellen Moore, QB, 6'0" 195 lbs Boise State

Ryan Tannehill, QB, 6'4" 222 lbs, Texas A&M(late 2nd/early 3rd)

Dontari Poe, DT, 6'5" 350 lbs, Memphis

Round 3

Greg Childs WR 6'3" 217 lbs, Arkansas (late 2nd/early 3rd)

Mark Barron SS 6'2 218 lbs, Alabama

Ryan Broyles WR 5'10 188 lbs Oklahoma

Brandon Boykin, CB, 5'10" 183 lbs, Georgia

Coby Fleener, TE, 6'6" 245 lbs, Stanford

Round 4

Kendall Reyes DT 6'4 296 lbs, UConn

Melvin Engram DE/DT, 6'2 276 lbs, South Carolina (think of him as a tweener like Eric Foster only much better...not sold enough yet though to take him any higher than 4th round)

Juron Criner, WR, 6'4" 215 lbs South Carolina

Dwight Jones, WR, 6'4" 225 lbs, North Carolina

Nigel Bradham, OLB, 6'2" 240 lbs FSU

James-Michael Johnson, MLB, 6'1" 240 lbs, Nevada

Round 5

Kawann Short, 6'3" 310 lbs, Purdue (late 4th/early 5th)

Harrison Smith FS 6'2 215 lbs Notre Dame

Marquis Maze, WR 5'8" 184 lbs, Alabama

Jaye Howard, DT, 6'3" 303 lbs, Florida

Round 6

Derek Moye WR 6'4 210 lbs Penn State (how high he rises on the draft boards will largely depend on consistent QB play and not Derek's ability)

D'Anton Lynn CB 6'1 208 lbs Penn State

Jack Crawford DE 6'5 273 lbs Penn State (he might move into the 5th)

Round 7

Chris Galippo MLB 6'2 250 lbs, USC

Robert Blanton CB 6'0 200 lbs Notre Dame

Darius Fleming OLB 6'2 255 lbs Notre Dame

Christian Tupuo DT/NT, 6'2" 300 lbs, USC

Tydreke Powell, DT, 6'3" 310 lbs, North Carolina

I agree we don’t take him and use his hype and NFL ready label to acquire lots of quality draft picks and players, players who can make an immediate impact now and in the future to help this team. The guy is going to sit behind Manning, and until Manning officially retires, no one and I mean no one will start over him if he is healthy! Therefore use Luck to get what we need now and in the future, besides I watch Luck and I am just not as sold on his potential as others we can take later and in the future! But I disagree with Painter being the eventual replacement, unless this guy makes a complete 180.

agreed 2000% lol If Landry Jones slips to the late first or second round then he'd be my top pick. Otherwise Nick Foles is my preference so far. Barkley could learn a lot from Manning which might help him become a great QB and same could be said of Cousins, though as of now I'd say Cousins needs the most work of the top ranked QB prospects.

yes forget #1

current odds at football outsider is...

1st pick-

KC 26%

STL 21%

IND 14%(38% for 3rd pick)

If the Colts win 2 out of the next 3 games, then I'll forget about it.

If they can't beat KC and/or the Bengals....then JJ, keep your schedule open on Draft Day so you can be here to mod all the arguments for and against that guy we're not allowed to mention. :shh: :shh:

Dumb question . . . if two teams are tied for the worst record, how do they determine which team gets the #1 pick?

Obviously, if those two teams were the Chiefs and the Colts, that would have to mean that the game between them resulted in a tie.

yes forget #1

current odds at football outsider is...

1st pick-

KC 26%

STL 21%

IND 14%(38% for 3rd pick)

Well obviously the Rams aren't going to take him, they have their franchise QB with Bradford. They just need to put decent parts around him.

I doubt KC would take him either because all they invested in Cassell both to trade for him, and then to keep him there. They might, but I would be surprised.

I mean everyone says "You can't pass on Luck" but there's kind of an interesting scenario developing here where he may in fact get a pass or two...

Dumb question . . . if two teams are tied for the worst record, how do they determine which team gets the #1 pick?

Obviously, if those two teams were the Chiefs and the Colts, that would have to mean that the game between them resulted in a tie.

A coin toss if all the other tie-breakers don't settle it.

That's an interesting question:

http://football.about.com/od/miscinformation/a/detdraftorder.htm

Tiebreakers

• Strength of schedule for the previous season is the first tie-breaker for teams with the same winning percentage. The team with the lowest strength of schedule percentage wins the tiebreaker and picks ahead of all other teams with the same record.

• Divisional and conference records are the next step in the tie-breaking procedure.

• As a last resort, a coin toss is used to determine the order of selection for teams with the same winning percentage.

If that happened, they would look at the two tied teams' strength of schedule. The team with the lowest strength of schedule would get the first pick, which would more than likely be KC.

If that happened, they would look at the two tied teams' strength of schedule. The team with the lowest strength of schedule would get the first pick, which would more than likely be KC.

Actually I think KC would have the stronger strength of schedule. KC is playing the NFC North and AFC East which I would argue are probably the 2 strongest divisions in the NFL. Colts are playing the AFC North and NFC South. The biggest question would be, imo, which group is considered to be the more difficult between SD, Den and Oak or Jax, Ten and Hou.

One question though, is the strength of schedule for this and playoff seeding determined at the beginning or end of the season? Power rankings will change from the beginning to end of the season so that could have an effect on how strength of schedule works out.

All this said I still don't think we get #1 because I think we go somewhere between 3-13 and 5-11, all depending on how well Painter plays AND if there is any improvement in the secondary. Painter could play very well for the rest of the season but we still lose the majority of games (but keep them close) due to the secondary...or vice versa.

RIFF- You are awesome because you agreed with my idea and had the exact same thinking process, and great minds think alike!

JackButton- Thank you bro! It’s good to have support on here! On the old forum I used to get criticized for my radical out of the box thinking, which suggested the Colts be more aggressive in free agency and get players who would fit the scheme and could help us win Super bowls.. lol! I like your WR idea to be honest, reason I haven’t gone as far to say we will take Blackmon or Jefferey is because we don’t know what the front office has in mind for Wayne, personally I would like either one if they do not go the Kalil direction and don’t have first pick to trade down from. I would like Floyd in the second round! IFFFF he lasted that far, it’s possible, has some character issues, but he sure can ball! Jeffrey would only fall second round if he got hurt this year, I think it’s very realistic to call him a first rounder! Kalil is around pick 2-4 the link below has a projected ranking system thus far.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2012

I like Cordy Glenn direction if Ijalana plays RT, Glenn may not be around come round two! I have mentioned today on a thread the Colt’s need to play their youth, throw Ijalana in the fire now, same with Nevis, Lefeged, Thomas, Rucker.. need to evaluate and see who is going to be around going forward, even Hughes!! There has been a lack in the evaluation of personnel and talent and it really shows with #18 out, shame it took that happening to realize this. On the bright side, could really bough well for the Colts moving forward! I don’t like the idea of Luck, if we get #1, think we could get a lot of picks and impact players to make the difference now and going forward!

Yeah man, I definitely want to see us do whatever it takes to give Manning the best possible team around him to give us a shot at winning some more Lombardi Trophies! I keep daydreaming that we will get the #1 pick and that the Browns will be interested in getting Luck, and trade us their two 1st round picks (hopefully plus another mid-round pick) for him. Then maybe we could draft Kalil with our first pick, Cordy Glenn with or second 1st round pick, and then get Ben Jones, C from Georgia(6'3", 316 lbs) by either trading down from our 2nd round pick or trading up from our 3rd round pick! That would be seriously awesome! An extreme longshot of that happening, but man that would kickass! Then we'd be set to have the best line in the NFL for the next 10+ years! And the fact that Glenn and Jones would already have chemistry together from playing together at Georgia over the past 4 years would have to help tremendously with their transition to the NFL. Kalil at LT, Glenn at LG, Jones at C, Ijalana at RG, and Castanzo at RT! I can dream, can't I?!?

Or, if the Browns' and Falcons' picks aren't high enough to get Kalil and Glenn, we could get Jonathan Martin, OT from Stanford and David DeCastro, G from Stanford with those 2 picks. They would have the same advantage coming into the league together that I mentioned for Glenn and Jones. Then we could still pick up Jones, or Peter Konz, C from Wisconsin(6'5", 315 lbs) in the 2nd round.

Okay, or even better yet, we could trade the pick for Luck to San Francisco, since they will definitely be wanting a QB and since Harbaugh coached Luck at Stanford. We'd get their 1st round pick, and also 2nd, which should be somewhere around mid-round picks, plus I'm sure at least a few other picks or players. Then we could draft Cordy Glenn, G from Georgia(6'5", 348 lbs) with their mid-1st round pick, we could get Kelechi Osemele, G from Iowa State(6'5", 347 lbs) with our #33 pick, and one of the afformentioned centers with their 2nd round pick. Just imagine that beast of an interior o-line and the damage it would do to opposing defensive fronts!

If the Colts land a top 5 pick, then by all means trade it for more picks ... UNLESS, a stud DT or OT is staring us right in the face.

And if Indy is unfortunate enough to have the first overall pick... then they have to take Luck, or trade him for more picks than we could all possibly imagine. And I think Luck would command that kind of price. The Colts could nearly rebuild their team in two years with the bounty Luck would provide.

Regardless, the Colts are in a win, win situation as far as next years draft goes.

If the Colts land a top 5 pick, then by all means trade it for more picks ... UNLESS, a stud DT or OT is staring us right in the face.

And if Indy is unfortunate enough to have the first overall pick... then they have to take Luck, or trade him for more picks than we could all possibly imagine. And I think Luck would command that kind of price. The Colts could nearly rebuild their team in two years with the bounty Luck would provide.

Regardless, the Colts are in a win, win situation as far as next years draft goes.

Why do you think we would take an OT? We just took two with our first two picks this year. Castonzo is doing just fine at left tackle and Ijalana is being developed at right tackle. We aren't moving him to guard, Polian said that himself in training camp and he's never played guard. We have both of our tackles for the future.

I think we go one of five areas in round one in the next draft.

DT: I think is honestly the least likely because I like Nevis and Johnson and I think the two of them can be a good starting pair in the NFL. I think we could use another DT for depth but again like I said the other night if a Warren Sapp is looking us in teh fact I am not going to say we should pass on him.

WR: Reggie Wayne is probably in his last two to three years here if we are lucky. No one else we have on the roster is a number one level WR. We need some help there and you can get a pretty good WR with a top 10 pick.

CB: Honestly I think this is the biggest level of need going into the draft short of OG but you rarely see a guard taken in round one. A top 10 corner should be a big play making corner to be our number one guy for the next 10 years. That let's us move Powers to number two and let Johnson and Lacey play number the nickle spot which is where they should be. All of the sudden our corner issues are fixed.

QB: I would agree I don't think this is likely. However, Polian mentioned on his radio show earlier this year that when him and Peyton harmed out this contract he told Peyton it was time to start looking at QBs in the draft like they could be a starter. He said they started looking at QBs like that in the past draft but no one they liked slide to them. So if we are in poistion and a QB is there I am not going to be shocked if we take him. I am not saying I would agree with it I am just saying I wouldn't be shocked. There is a good chance we wont be in poistion like this to get a QB this high till after Manning is retired so I could see the case for us taking one. Personally I would use it on one of the other three spots to give us what we need to help Manning win the rest of his career here.

C: After thinking about the o-line I think we are one starter short on the inside. I was thinking guard but we could take a center in round one to give us a LT, RT, and C to build the line around for the next 10 years. That's how we built the line the first time under Polian and it produced very good results. We could then address the right guard spot by putting Pollack there where he isn't horriable, he's not great but he's not horriable either.