Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense

turner46992

While working this afternoon, I was sitting back thinking about our Defense sunday night. I mean they seriously could not have played any better and the chances of them doing it again this upcoming week are sort of slim(based on the history of our D). Then I was thinking, our Defense can easily be claimed as one of the fastest Defenses in the league, which gets to the Qb from either the left or right. Does the qb's of the opposing team go into the week knowing that playing our D can be heck.

Example, do you think Big Ben Sloppyberger came into lucas oil last sunday knowing that these 4 quarters are not going to be just a walk in the park. Obviously Mathis and Freeney can get to the Qb and that has to appose some sort of threat, and now we have, what appears to be the best set of LB's this team has seen for a while. I was just thinking and figured Id start a thread for it and see what your guys thoughts are....

and of course if you guys think this can be merged with another topic be my guest...I just didnt seem to think any other topic about our D express the thoughts of other teams going against us!

Not yet, but that perception will change by Week 7. I'm already starting to hear about the Colts improved D from some of my San Diego co-workers.

man im tellin you angerer and the youth around him will make the team better with bullitt brackett hurt all season and tryon gone

young guys get a big chance and with wheeler we can blitz alot more

man im tellin you angerer and the youth around him will make the team better with bullitt brackett hurt all season and tryon gone

I don't know if you are trying to argue against me or just adding things to support what I said. Either way I agree. That is one thing I have long not liked about how the Colts do things, they stick with some people way too long (Gilbert Gardner comes immediately to mind) but there was also Nick Harper, Chad Cota, Bashir, Mike Peterson.

Now they have no choice but to have Angerer start over Brackett and Lefeged over Bullitt (They may give Caldwell another chance but they yanked him quickly after that long TD pass to Wallace. It must have worked somewhat because that catch gave Wallace 3 catches for 129 yards, he ended the game with 5 catches for 141 yards. So he was pretty much a non factor after that.

Yesss that is so true, wheeler is the best blitzing LB the colts have... i gotta say im pretty excited to see what A.J can bring to the table see if he can ignite a spark i love his size and his speed, for the defense if they stay healthy they will have a good year this year.

after seeing big ben scramble and have his head turned around looking for freeney/mathis Id say it is possible.

If anyone can post a clip of "Big Ben" looking over his shoulder and then getting slammed by our secondary (Can't quite remember who got to him) - That would make a great laugh for a Friday Morning!

To the topic at hand, I agree with most of the others here. We're "on our way" if we can keep up what happened last Sunday. I want to see it consistently.

I need to see what they look like against a quarterback who doesn't hold the ball forever and an offensive line that isn't down to its last 5 guys before I get too excited. Expecting a 2nd string right tackle to play left tackle against a premier pass rusher like Freeney is an impossible assignment, especially with a quarterback who takes way too long to get rid of the football.

Nobody is afraid to go against the Colts right now, that’s the team as a whole offensively and defensively! Lets temper expectations and radical statements about this defense, fortunately the Colts improved run D Sunday night, so the Steelers abandoned the run, not to mention they were playing with the thinnest line back-ups of back-ups, after the game Big Ben said they were about to put D line players in cause of all the injuries. That played right into what the Colts do well, rush the passer! And it helps when you are going against a back ups! Just look at how awful the secondary is! The Colts backs were and are against the wall, it was a primetime game, they wanted to show they don’t need Manning, and they looked better. But it was one game and nobody is scared to go against the Colts without Manning. Sorry, I want him back as bad as anyone else, he is my favorite player ever to play the game, I defend him all the time as the greatest ever, these Baltimore fans respect him but don’t like him, and they all seem to think that chump Tom Brady is better. I have been saying Colts will win three games this year, I just hope the staff and front office can use this time more effectively to evaluate players and start different combos of players, Drake Nevis needs to start and play as much as possible! Hughes needs to play more to be evaluated as either potential or a bust, even use him and Wheeler as OLB’s on some occasional 3-4 packages! Ijalana needs to be put out there, who cares about Collins/Painter, put him at RT or G, the kid needs to learn! Same goes with Lefeged and Kevin Thomas, Rucker, and other players in the secondary, the Colts need to evaluate all options, because this team needs to improve going forward!

Nobody is afraid to go against the Colts right now, that’s the team as a whole offensively and defensively! Lets temper expectations and radical statements about this defense, fortunately the Colts improved run D Sunday night, so the Steelers abandoned the run, not to mention they were playing with the thinnest line back-ups of back-ups, after the game Big Ben said they were about to put D line players in cause of all the injuries. That played right into what the Colts do well, rush the passer! And it helps when you are going against a back ups! Just look at how awful the secondary is! The Colts backs were and are against the wall, it was a primetime game, they wanted to show they don’t need Manning, and they looked better. But it was one game and nobody is scared to go against the Colts without Manning. Sorry, I want him back as bad as anyone else, he is my favorite player ever to play the game, I defend him all the time as the greatest ever, these Baltimore fans respect him but don’t like him, and they all seem to think that chump Tom Brady is better. I have been saying Colts will win three games this year, I just hope the staff and front office can use this time more effectively to evaluate players and start different combos of players, Drake Nevis needs to start and play as much as possible! Hughes needs to play more to be evaluated as either potential or a bust, even use him and Wheeler as OLB’s on some occasional 3-4 packages! Ijalana needs to be put out there, who cares about Collins/Painter, put him at RT or G, the kid needs to learn! Same goes with Lefeged and Kevin Thomas, Rucker, and other players in the secondary, the Colts need to evaluate all options, because this team needs to improve going forward!

I agree with everything you said except the 3-4 packages because that will never happen. I think people are just fooling themselves if they still believe this team has any shot at all of making the playoffs so I agree we should play our young guys and see what they're made of. I think this team can win somewhere in the area of 3-5 games and the 5 is a very generous prediction.

The only area of complaint I saw for the Colts defense was the 3rd and long plays that they let get away. If the Colts can continue to force the 3rd and long AND then close it out and get off of the field I think teams will definitely become more concerned as the season progresses.

If the run defense can continue to be aggressive and the team can force more 3 and outs this will be a stout defense.

I don't know the fix yet for the pass coverage though.

Lefeged over Bullitt (They may give Caldwell another chance but they yanked him quickly after that long TD pass to Wallace. It must have worked somewhat because that catch gave Wallace 3 catches for 129 yards, he ended the game with 5 catches for 141 yards. So he was pretty much a non factor after that.

You know, I have always wondered. Under Coyer, we play single safety high so many times with Bethea being the safety coming up to the line of scrimmage. From all that I have seen and know, Bethea is the better coverage safety but Bullitt seems to be the one with more depth in the single safety high concept than Bethea, never could understand why Bethea was expected to play closer to the line of scrimmage more. He has been top 3 in tackles the last 2 years, if I remember right. That also shows you how much they believed in Bullitt being able to make plays even though he was supposed to be the strong safety who normally plays closer to the line of scrimmage.

They have more often put Bullitt, Francisco, and recently Caldwell as the last line of defense while Bethea is the better coverage safety. In order to deal with the passing oriented league, it is probably best to go with two free safeties and Lefeged has the speed to play centerfield back out there, and Bethea has the ability, to make plays at the line of scrimmage. I think Bethea and Lefeged will be a successful combo if we stick with it, IMO. It is almost like a league wide death knell to the strong safety kind like a Roy Williams of the Cowboys kind. If your strong safety does not have coverage skills, it just does not work in this league as well anymore.

I doubt many teams fear the 19th ranked defense in the League that gives up an average of 25 pts per game. Yes, the average per carry is 3.3 but still is ranked 22nd in total yards rushing. Andy, yes, our anemic offense that ranks 29th is partly to blame for the defense being on the field quite a bit. But sorry, I can't see fear in anyone's eyes quite yet. (Unless you're on Dwight Freeney's side of the field).

I doubt many teams fear the 19th ranked defense in the League that gives up an average of 25 pts per game. Yes, the average per carry is 3.3 but still is ranked 22nd in total yards rushing. Andy, yes, our anemic offense that ranks 29th is partly to blame for the defense being on the field quite a bit. But sorry, I can't see fear in anyone's eyes quite yet. (Unless you're on Dwight Freeney's side of the field).

The only reason the total rushing D is still 22nd is due to the absurdly high number of carries from the first 2 weeks. This was due to the offense doing absolutely nothing. Therefore the time of possession was grossly in the favor of the other team. When you have the ball that long you get more carries plain and simple. However, with each game, both the ypc average and the total yards allowed in each game has come down and I believe will continue to do so. The ypc through 3 games:

Vs. Hou - ~4.1 ypc allowed

Vs. Cle - ~3.3 ypc allowed

Vs. Pit - ~2.7 ypc allowed

While working this afternoon, I was sitting back thinking about our Defense sunday night. I mean they seriously could not have played any better and the chances of them doing it again this upcoming week are sort of slim(based on the history of our D). Then I was thinking, our Defense can easily be claimed as one of the fastest Defenses in the league, which gets to the Qb from either the left or right. Does the qb's of the opposing team go into the week knowing that playing our D can be heck.

Example, do you think Big Ben Sloppyberger came into lucas oil last sunday knowing that these 4 quarters are not going to be just a walk in the park. Obviously Mathis and Freeney can get to the Qb and that has to appose some sort of threat, and now we have, what appears to be the best set of LB's this team has seen for a while. I was just thinking and figured Id start a thread for it and see what your guys thoughts are....

and of course if you guys think this can be merged with another topic be my guest...I just didnt seem to think any other topic about our D express the thoughts of other teams going against us!

No! Because even when we cause turnovers we can't get points of the board from their 12 yard line! If we can't score on their turnovers and missteps then we aren't a threat.

The only area of complaint I saw for the Colts defense was the 3rd and long plays that they let get away. If the Colts can continue to force the 3rd and long AND then close it out and get off of the field I think teams will definitely become more concerned as the season progresses.

If the run defense can continue to be aggressive and the team can force more 3 and outs this will be a stout defense.

I totally agree, we need to contain teams with those third and longs and stop letting them pick up the 1st. Its sad that our secondary might be the weakest part of this D now. when years past it has been our run D...which still has some holes that our slowly getting patched up

copied and pasted from another thread:

I didn't get goose pimples (like many Colts fans) over the way the defense played against the Steelers.

The Colts defense has a reputation of showing up for a game or 2(especially if they have been embarrassed or are getting hammered by the media) before returning to their regular inept selves.

The run defense is allowing 3.3 yds/rush...8th best in the NFL!!.... Can they sustain this quality of play for more than 1 or 2 weeks???.... That is the question

I didn't get goose pimples (like many Colts fans) over the way the defense played against the Steelers.

The Colts defense has a reputation of showing up for a game or 2(especially if they have been embarrassed or are getting hammered by the media) before returning to their regular inept selves.

The run defense is allowing 3.3 yds/rush...8th best in the NFL!!.... Can they sustain this quality of play for more than 1 or 2 weeks???.... That is the question

Lets temper expectations and radical statements about this defense, fortunately the Colts improved run D Sunday night, so the Steelers abandoned the run, not to mention they were playing with the thinnest line back-ups of back-ups, after the game Big Ben said they were about to put D line players in cause of all the injuries. That played right into what the Colts do well, rush the passer! And it helps when you are going against a back ups! Just look at how awful the secondary is! The Colts backs were and are against the wall, it was a primetime game, they wanted to show they don’t need Manning, and they looked better. But it was one game and nobody is scared to go against the Colts without Manning.

This was copy and pasted exerpt from my response on the first page of this post! Agree 100% The media beat up the Colts, it was a primetime game, they showed up but that will inevitably fade!

Lets temper expectations and radical statements about this defense, fortunately the Colts improved run D Sunday night, so the Steelers abandoned the run, not to mention they were playing with the thinnest line back-ups of back-ups, after the game Big Ben said they were about to put D line players in cause of all the injuries. That played right into what the Colts do well, rush the passer! And it helps when you are going against a back ups! Just look at how awful the secondary is! The Colts backs were and are against the wall, it was a primetime game, they wanted to show they don’t need Manning, and they looked better. But it was one game and nobody is scared to go against the Colts without Manning.

This was copy and pasted exerpt from my response on the first page of this post! Agree 100% The media beat up the Colts, it was a primetime game, they showed up but that will inevitably fade!

They also held Houston to 4.1 ypc (not flashy but lower than what the Colts averaged giving up last year) and improved upon that to hold Cleveland to 3.3 ypc. Both of these teams have very good power running games. It wasn't just one game...it's been solid improvement from the first game. :)

I totally agree, we need to contain teams with those third and longs and stop letting them pick up the 1st. Its sad that our secondary might be the weakest part of this D now. when years past it has been our run D...which still has some holes that our slowly getting patched up

caldwell is making adjustments on this

There is a very famous expression “the numbers don’t lie,” well I myself have an additional piece to add to that the numbers don’t lie, “BUT THEY DON’T ALWAYS TELL THE WHOLE STORY!” That’s a BmoreColt quote baby! While it is true Houston averaged slightly over four yards a carry it doesn’t tell the whole story. They were up 34 at halftime, and took their foot of the pedal so to speak, not to mention Colts made halftime adjustments and knew their only chance was to perform better on D in the second half. You see it all the time when teams are up big they lose enthusiasm and the same instinctive play when the game is close. The Texans ran at will on the Colts in the first half!

The Browns really don’t have the aerial attack the Texans have, and the game was much closer. The Colts used a lot of eight man fronts, I can remember horrible Melvin Bullitt playing on the LOS on Hillis 20 something odd yard touchdown run, where he couldn’t set the edge and couldn’t make the tackle, which is why he is a back up at best. But the circumstances were different, closer game so the Browns mixed the run with the pass, I also remember seeing a lot more of Brayton and Anderson in week two as well.

The Steelers were using a lot of reserves on their offensive line, which yielded much of the success that the Colts had in containing the run and getting pressure. They also completely abandoned the run and went to the pass.

While it is true the YPC average and yardage per game has gone down, there have been circumstantial factors yielding such results. Texans took their foot off the gas, the adjustments and frankly the team (Browns) in week two aren’t having anywhere near the same success they had last year running the ball, and the Steelers had such a horrendous offensive line to warrant great play by the D, also Nevis and Mookie played side by side, that is a winning formula! :thmup:

There is a very famous expression “the numbers don’t lie,” well I myself have an additional piece to add to that the numbers don’t lie, “BUT THEY DON’T ALWAYS TELL THE WHOLE STORY!” That’s a BmoreColt quote baby! While it is true Houston averaged slightly over four yards a carry it doesn’t tell the whole story. They were up 34 at halftime, and took their foot of the pedal so to speak, not to mention Colts made halftime adjustments and knew their only chance was to perform better on D in the second half. You see it all the time when teams are up big they lose enthusiasm and the same instinctive play when the game is close. The Texans ran at will on the Colts in the first half!

The Browns really don’t have the aerial attack the Texans have, and the game was much closer. The Colts used a lot of eight man fronts, I can remember horrible Melvin Bullitt playing on the LOS on Hillis 20 something odd yard touchdown run, where he couldn’t set the edge and couldn’t make the tackle, which is why he is a back up at best. But the circumstances were different, closer game so the Browns mixed the run with the pass, I also remember seeing a lot more of Brayton and Anderson in week two as well.

The Steelers were using a lot of reserves on their offensive line, which yielded much of the success that the Colts had in containing the run and getting pressure. They also completely abandoned the run and went to the pass.

While it is true the YPC average and yardage per game has gone down, there have been circumstantial factors yielding such results. Texans took their foot off the gas, the adjustments and frankly the team (Browns) in week two aren’t having anywhere near the same success they had last year running the ball, and the Steelers had such a horrendous offensive line to warrant great play by the D, also Nevis and Mookie played side by side, that is a winning formula! :thmup:

I definitely give you credit for making excellent points and the best argument towards not getting too hyped about the D yet and I agree. Most people have simply downplayed the current run D saying either they still suck or passing it off on Foster being out and by saying Hillis ran all over them, and the Hillis statement simply isn't true. Colts did lose contain on a couple of plays but for the majority of the game Hillis was more than contained. I definitely will be paying close attention as the season wears on.

One thing I will add about Houston, however, is that Brackett played at MIKE the majority of the game. I think things could well have been different (maybe not drastically so but different none the less) had Conner, Angerer and Wheeler been playing instead. Angerer playing in his more natural position and Wheeler being much younger and faster than Brackett I think makes a noticeable difference. So ultimately, yes it is still too early to call the Colts D elite run stuffers. I do think they're well on their way in the right direction though. :)

Angerer is the much better Mike linebacker for the Colts! Brackett’s better days are behind him, I hope he will retire and keep his pride and dignity, because that chubby checker needs to be done and free up some cap space. I can’t wait for that game tomorrow night, I will be evaluating Short and Te’o the whole game, I think Short could be the mid round NT to fit the Colts very nicely, much like Nevis. And Te’o I will be evaluating his coverage skills even more closely, in the 3-4 the ILB has not only gap responsibilities, but also has coverage responsibilities like a 4-3 OLB, and if he could transition to a OLB (think he has a better chance than Angerer) that could be a guy the Colts should really consider. Hopefully we see more Mookie and Nevis, but I still like Mookie in a rotation as depth! But impact linebackers would also drastically help the run support, a lot of people over look the importance of linebackers to a team even in the 4-3 as the Colt’s organization has frequently done so. They more value the MLB, but gap discipline is important and physicality for your entire line backing unit, not just the Mike!

Angerer is the much better Mike linebacker for the Colts! Brackett’s better days are behind him, I hope he will retire and keep his pride and dignity, because that chubby checker needs to be done and free up some cap space. I can’t wait for that game tomorrow night, I will be evaluating Short and Te’o the whole game, I think Short could be the mid round NT to fit the Colts very nicely, much like Nevis. And Te’o I will be evaluating his coverage skills even more closely, in the 3-4 the ILB has not only gap responsibilities, but also has coverage responsibilities like a 4-3 OLB, and if he could transition to a OLB (think he has a better chance than Angerer) that could be a guy the Colts should really consider. Hopefully we see more Mookie and Nevis, but I still like Mookie in a rotation as depth! But impact linebackers would also drastically help the run support, a lot of people over look the importance of linebackers to a team even in the 4-3 as the Colt’s organization has frequently done so. They more value the MLB, but gap discipline is important and physicality for your entire line backing unit, not just the Mike!

I fully agree about the importance of LBs. I think not going after anyone worthwhile during the Dungy days hurt, though never having an effective DT rotation hurt even more. These have been the biggest things addressed by Caldwell/Coyer and I think that's why the defense has improved so much over Dungy's days.

Te'o is an awesome LB. ND also has a couple of other guys who are all over the place in CB Robert Blanton and SS Harrison Smith. Keep an eye for them as well if you can. If you get a chance to watch a Florida game, check out #6 Jaye Howard NT. Right now he's my favorite of the "Mid round" NT's but that's without having seen Short play yet. :)

There is a very famous expression “the numbers don’t lie,” well I myself have an additional piece to add to that the numbers don’t lie, “BUT THEY DON’T ALWAYS TELL THE WHOLE STORY!” That’s a BmoreColt quote baby!

Absolutely true quote. I would also add to it that interpretation of stats often leaves a lot to be desired.
While it is true Houston averaged slightly over four yards a carry it doesn’t tell the whole story. They were up 34 at halftime, and took their foot of the pedal so to speak, not to mention Colts made halftime adjustments and knew their only chance was to perform better on D in the second half.
Can you give an example of hos Houston took their foot off the gas in the 2nd half? Can you show a play they went conservative in the 2nd half where they went aggressive in the first?
You see it all the time when teams are up big they lose enthusiasm and the same instinctive play when the game is close. The Texans ran at will on the Colts in the first half!
Yup they ran better in the first half. The Colts D has done that many times the past couple of years. I'm not a fan of Coyer but one thing he does seem to know how to do is make half time adjustments to slow down the run. He has done that more time than not.
The Browns really don’t have the aerial attack the Texans have, and the game was much closer. The Colts used a lot of eight man fronts,
Browns don't have the same aeriel attack but the Colts did not run a lot of even many 8 man front. One Cleveland did do a lot was to line up two WRs on one side which in the Colts D moves the LB out to the inside WR while the CB then moves to the outside of the last person on the line.
I can remember horrible Melvin Bullitt playing on the LOS on Hillis 20 something odd yard touchdown run, where he couldn’t set the edge and couldn’t make the tackle, which is why he is a back up at best. But the circumstances were different, closer game so the Browns mixed the run with the pass, I also remember seeing a lot more of Brayton and Anderson in week two as well.
Well Brayton and Anderson were brought in so the Colts could have a BIG package for the run. What is your point about Bullitt? He missed that play, it was 3rd and short so he was on the line. That play is not indicative of how the Colts run D played.
All 5 starters started the game, the first one didn't get injured until late 2nd quarter or 3rd quarter and the Steelers didn't run any better before the injuries than they did after. So that point is just not true. Steelers didn't abandon the pass but they went to it a lot... that though only effects total rushing yards, not ypc.

Aren't there always circumstances that factor in to how a unit plays? The factors do not over-ride the good someone else does. Texas did not take their foot off the gas, Steelers do not have a good oline, but it was the same oline for most of the game that helped shut-out the Seahawks and only allowed 3 Qb hits and 1 or sacks on Roethlisburger.

I an people can try to spin it negatively as much as people try to spin in positively but the fact of the matter is the Colts D should have looked good against the Steelers, they looked dominant. They should have not looked good against the Browns and they looked good. The Texans game was not good outside of the 2nd play and the 2nd half. And it looks like some of the "next man up" are appearing to be better than the person they are replacing.

Houston didn’t punt until the second half, around the 9 minute mark of the third quarter if I am not mistaken, this is because they went to a more conservative offensive play calling.

The Brayton and Anderson reference indicates why Indy had success in stopping the Browns rushing attack, which in my humble opinion is vastly over rated and Hillis had a fluke season.

That is an indication of how bad Melvin Bullit (Don’t like him period) is and how poor tackling and gap assignments and responsibilities in assignments that are typically missed. Hillis runs a lot of dives between the C/G, where other runners generally have success running at our DE’S.

The Steelers did not have their 5 normal starters, as that line has not been the same since some time back into last season. They had no other offensive linemen available to play, and Big Ben talked after the game about how they were prepared to use D linemen out there, because the line is so depleted.

Think u misquoted me, I didn’t say the Steelers abandoned the pass, they abandoned the run because their line generated no push or clear lanes and their passing attack was more effective.

Yes, you are absolutely right, there are always factors that affect the game. I am not trying to put a negative spin on the Colt’s and I do not want it to come off that way, I am simply giving a realistic unbiased humble opinion, which is sometimes good to hear. Good call on the next man up, maybe the coaching staff and front office need to evaluate talent more efficiently and play the more talented player and put ego aside.

Even with well respected pass rushers, this team isn't respected. With or without Peyton our team as a whole isn't respected. After the regular season is a "one and done" story for us. I promise all of you that we're making it to the superbowl back to back! Go Colts!

I've seen the defense elevate it's play at home on national television. Adrenaline does that to every team. That doesn't change the fact that it's pointless to make one-one comparisons to previous year's defenses when many of the players who are accounting for the improvements either weren't here then, or were very young.

I was just watching NFL Network and Irvin said something referring to the Eagles CB's and how they (the corners themselves NOT the coaches) should stop playing scheme and play man...... It seems to me like every team has problems when they do that, but i was just wondering if the CB's have a choice why dont lacey play man... he probably doesnt have that option but was just curious.

how is this your only complaint???

my only complaint from the game was that the colts d did the sam thing they do everytime we play on the turf...play fast........and then if the offense doesn't score, the other team gets the ball with 1 minute left to kick a game iwnning fg. did that happen to us 4 times last year??? same old same old.