Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yahoo Sports: Colts "Thin at RB behind Ballard"

BrentMc11

I just got this information from my friend.  I know we have discussed and debated Vick Ballard and Donald Brown, but This article calls Brown a "flop'  I in no way think he is a flop.  I think he should come out along with Delone Carter and the "Rook" and prove the detractors wrong.

I am on the Ballard side of the debate, but as you know I have rooted any colt on....even Cassius Vaughn...during my biggest stomach aches of the year...Go  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  haha  haha !!

Does the article sound fair?  Accurate?  Another jab at the Colts?  Let have some good Colts Fun!!!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree on the thin depth part. I had mentioned it before in this thread: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/18218-justice-cunningham-apparently-a-star-of-rookie-camp/page-2

The RB situation, to me, is very tenuous if an injury happens to Ballard or Brown, which is very likely to happen given the position's nature. The offense cannot operate the same way with a limited down back like Kerwynn Williams if Ballard or Brown needs to be replaced with him. That would also mean a disproportionate increase in primary RB carries to Ballard or Brown if the other goes down. So, the FB and Kerwynn Williams should give the coaches ample confidence to split enough carries should an injury happen to Ballard or Brown.

So, more than a 4th TE or 6th WR, a 3rd between-the-tackles-kind-of-RB (outside Ballard and Brown) has a good chance to sneak in if he impresses, all other things considered equal. Thus, we may be looking at 5 RBs including the FB, IMO. Who might that be though?

I agree on the thin depth part. I had mentioned it before in this thread: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/18218-justice-cunningham-apparently-a-star-of-rookie-camp/page-2

The RB situation, to me, is very tenuous if an injury happens to Ballard or Brown, which is very likely to happen given the position's nature. The offense cannot operate the same way with a limited down back like Kerwynn Williams if Ballard or Brown needs to be replaced with him. That would also mean a disproportionate increase in primary RB carries to Ballard or Brown if the other goes down. So, the FB and Kerwynn Williams should give the coaches ample confidence to split enough carries should an injury happen to Ballard or Brown.

So, more than a 4th TE or 6th WR, a 3rd between-the-tackles-kind-of-RB (outside Ballard and Brown) has a good chance to sneak in if he impresses, all other things considered equal. Thus, we may be looking at 5 RBs including the FB, IMO. Who might that be though?

Maybe Deji Kareem is on speed dial.....?  Will we utilize a FB as expected?  Is Delone Carter going to step it up with a good Offensive line?  Open the big boy a hole and we will see.  Ahmed Bradshaw....any calls to him?  

Maybe Deji Kareem is on speed dial.....?  Will we utilize a FB as expected?  Is Delone Carter going to step it up with a good Offensive line?  Open the big boy a hole and we will see.  Ahmed Bradshaw....any calls to him?  

Karim signed with Houston last week

Let's resign Mewlde Moore!!!

/Serious sarcasm, but I'm confused a little: he' isn't on the roster, however he is still on depth chart along with Deji Karim/

I dislike Mewelde "More" than I ever thought I would after he played so poorly in about 3 straight last year.  He single handedly blew one of the games...refresh my memory Colts fans as to which one...:)  

While the author of the article brings up some valid points he completely fails to mention that in order in most cases to have a succesful running game you have to have the talent and scheme to have a succesful running game

Sh@@@@!!!!

We could use him! I think we've missed a decent RB and returner...

I think we are thinking Kerwynn Williams at KR......hoping big time Cassius Vaughn does not get a shot.....for that or making the team...for that matter.  Pleeeease!!!!  ha-ha-ha.gif

While the author of the article brings up some valid points he completely fails to mention that in order in most cases to have a succesful running game you have to have the talent and scheme to have a succesful running game

I hope this article is shown the the boys in blue...particularly the new big boys on the OL....nice little piece to put on the bulletin board....prove the author Wrong OL...and especially the corps of running Backs!!!!!   :colts:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!

I'm good with Ballard and Brown and if K. Williams shows that he can be an asset, I think we'll be alright at RB. I'm not that big on Carter. If he was with any other team, we wouldn't think twice about him. He's JAG.

How many teams have excellent back ups at RB?

Some of the other forum fanatics may prove me wrong, but since we are not drafting RBs as number ones....and emphasizing the pass more than ever....MOST teams ARE this in depth at RB....they keep an extra WR/TE instead of RB...Just my opinion guys and gals!!!  chase.gif

Why no mention of Havilli?  I think he, Ballard and Williams make a decent trio.  Havilli has good hands and I'm assuming Williams does since he was part receiver/part RB.  Those are your 3rd down backs and Ballard is your workhorse.  If Brown is healthy, he can spell Ballard on alternating series 1st and 2nd downs.

I'm good with Ballard and Brown and if K. Williams shows that he can be an asset, I think we'll be alright at RB. I'm not that big on Carter. If he was with any other team, we wouldn't think twice about him. He's JAG.

My fear is we release Carter....a hard running 5'9" 238 pound back becomes an immovable object that DOES NOT fumble like in 646 carries....at Syracuse....amazing how he is the fumbler.

Why no mention of Havilli?  I think he, Ballard and Williams make a decent trio.  Havilli has good hands and I'm assuming Williams does since he was part receiver/part RB.  Those are your 3rd down backs and Ballard is your workhorse.  If Brown is healthy, he can spell Ballard on alternating series 1st and 2nd downs.

My point above with the full back!  Spot on LockeDown!  He is never mentioned!  big-thumbs-up.gif

I think we'd be fine with Ballard and Williams if Brown gets injured. If both Ballard and Brown get injured then I think we can worry a little.

All of this.

Denver, San Fran, Houston, Seattle, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Green Bay, Philadelphia, New Orleans, Atlanta, and Carolina.

So roughly 13.

Some of these are debatable....Denver with non-exciting Lance Ball?(If Denver has an RB on the roster...they seem to succeed :))  Cincinnati?  Pittsburgh has lost a couple of guys...not arguing...may be wrong...still 13 out of 32 teams....not great %...41%...I would have to scour those rosters to debate...

My point above with the full back!  Spot on LockeDown!  He is never mentioned!  big-thumbs-up.gif

He's not mentioned because he's a fullback.   He's not going to be running the ball.   Once or twice at most a game -- if that.

He's going to be blocking and receiving.    The writer is talking about carrying the ball.     That's all.

Some of these are debatable....Denver with non-exciting Lance Ball?(If Denver has an RB on the roster...they seem to succeed :))  Cincinnati?  Pittsburgh has lost a couple of guys...not arguing...may be wrong...still 13 out of 32 teams....not great %...41%...I would have to scour those rosters to debate...

Denver has Montee Ball as well, to help out Moreno/McGahee. The Steelers have Redman and drafted Le'veon Bell too if I'm not mistaken, and you're right they let go of oft-injured Mendenhall.

Some of these are debatable....Denver with non-exciting Lance Ball?(If Denver has an RB on the roster...they seem to succeed :)) Cincinnati? Pittsburgh has lost a couple of guys...not arguing...may be wrong...still 13 out of 32 teams....not great %...41%...I would have to scour those rosters to debate...

Well Willis McGahee is the backup to Ball and even at an old age he's still a 4+ YPC guy. Cincy has Geovani Bernard and Benjarvis Green Ellis and Pittsburgh drafted Le'voen Bell in the 2nd round. I guess I was sort of just projecting rookie success when I did the list. If I did it on established veterans it would probably be less teams.

The author maybe a member of our community, I honestly don't know.

But his work is to be considered highly suspect.    His name is Eric Ivie and he's the writer who said the Colts will be getting a 4th round pick for Shipley.

He also described Luck earlier this off-season as having a cannon for an arm, and could  thread a needle with his passing.

You'd have thought the arm of Matthew Stafford or Jay Cutler has been transplanted onto Luck's right shoulder.

He means well,  but I think one has to take his work with a GIANT grain of salt until proven otherwise....

Some of these are debatable....Denver with non-exciting Lance Ball?(If Denver has an RB on the roster...they seem to succeed :)) Cincinnati? Pittsburgh has lost a couple of guys...not arguing...may be wrong...still 13 out of 32 teams....not great %...41%...I would have to scour those rosters to debate...

Well Willis McGahee is the backup to Ball and even at an old age he's still a 4+ YPC guy. Cincy has Geovani Bernard and Benjarvis Green Ellis and Pittsburgh drafted Le'voen Bell in the 2nd round. I guess I was sort of just projecting rookie success when I did the list. If I did it on established veterans it would probably be less teams.

Bottom line, the writer, for whatever flaws he may have,  is not saying anything that all of us aren't saying right here on this website.

We are thin at running back.    Even if you think we'll keep Carter as well. 

It's Ballard, Brown, Carter and Williams carrying the ball.    With Havili and Moore at Fullback.

If Ballard goes down,  we don't have someone who will pick up the slack.   I think it's clear we can't expect Brown to go 16-20 touches a game for a full season.  And even if he could, is there someone to be a good #2, who could be responsible for 10-14 touches a game?

We're thin at the position.