Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yahoo Sports: Colts "Thin at RB behind Ballard"

BrentMc11

He's not mentioned because he's a fullback.   He's not going to be running the ball.   Once or twice at most a game -- if that.

He's going to be blocking and receiving.    The writer is talking about carrying the ball.     That's all.

Since some teams do not carry a fullback....just adding him to the corps...I for one look forward to pass catching back( RB or FB) in the Pep system.  I am with you.  I want this kid knocking down linebackers and catching some passes....with other backs as well!  :thmup:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom line, the writer, for whatever flaws he may have,  is not saying anything that all of us aren't saying right here on this website.

We are thin at running back.    Even if you think we'll keep Carter as well. 

It's Ballard, Brown, Carter and Williams carrying the ball.    With Havili and Moore at Fullback.

If Ballard goes down,  we don't have someone who will pick up the slack.   I think it's clear we can't expect Brown to go 16-20 touches a game for a full season.  And even if he could, is there someone to be a good #2, who could be responsible for 10-14 touches a game?

We're thin at the position.

I agree, but Donald Brown was Pagano's number one going into last year and was happy with him....and we did have that Offensive (The true meaning of offensive :)) Line!!!  Brown is out to prove something and so is Carter to make the team....get it done guys...looks like the last of the Polian Regime......what will we do?  Keep them....or ship them?  This year or next...??? :thinking:  :dunno:  :scratch:

I agree on the thin depth part. I had mentioned it before in this thread: http://forums.colts.com/index.php?/topic/18218-justice-cunningham-apparently-a-star-of-rookie-camp/page-2

The RB situation, to me, is very tenuous if an injury happens to Ballard or Brown, which is very likely to happen given the position's nature. The offense cannot operate the same way with a limited down back like Kerwynn Williams if Ballard or Brown needs to be replaced with him. That would also mean a disproportionate increase in primary RB carries to Ballard or Brown if the other goes down. So, the FB and Kerwynn Williams should give the coaches ample confidence to split enough carries should an injury happen to Ballard or Brown.

So, more than a 4th TE or 6th WR, a 3rd between-the-tackles-kind-of-RB (outside Ballard and Brown) has a good chance to sneak in if he impresses, all other things considered equal. Thus, we may be looking at 5 RBs including the FB, IMO. Who might that be though?

maybe is because i always like Deone but i think he is and im not worried if he is to see the field...i actually want coaches to give him a chance.

Well Willis McGahee is the backup to Ball and even at an old age he's still a 4+ YPC guy. Cincy has Geovani Bernard and Benjarvis Green Ellis and Pittsburgh drafted Le'voen Bell in the 2nd round. I guess I was sort of just projecting rookie success when I did the list. If I did it on established veterans it would probably be less teams.

I like the draftees Dustin...like my comments in the Werner thread.....need to prove they belong (I am with you...I think they will...

I may backtrack a little....Ball is a journeyman that flat out works his tail off....

Denver also drafted Montee Ball........has to prove himself in the NFL too.

I think you convinced me Dustin....with the draftees the backups are solid!!  :)

maybe is because i always like Deone but i think he is and im not worried if he is to see the field...i actually want coaches to give him a chance.

I agree, and I am still not convinced Delone is a FUMBLER any more than I think Donald Brown is a FLOP :bossy:

I tried to tell you people....running back will be a glaring weakness and we had our shot at some possible studs...No one to blame, but Grigson ...

Still not giving in...to Yahoo!  :)  And you know I liked Bernard but not at one and Lacy but not at one....Loved Thornton in the 3rd....and we got a pretty fast hombre in Williams...looks goo on film......lets see what the kid can do...he looks fearless...in fact he looks like a honey badger ( They don't tak no_____), but that nickname was not available  crazy-smiley.gif

We will be fine if our O Line plays like they actually have played there positions before

Agreed....may still be some surprises as well....waiver wires etc....Grigs will do anything to improve...as we know from anywhere....

globe_tiles.gif

I tried to tell you people....running back will be a glaring weakness and we had our shot at some possible studs...No one to blame, but Grigson ...

And we tried to tell you (pointless, I know)  that you can't solve every problem in one off-season.

All teams have flaws and weaknesses,  positions that are thin.    That's simply the nature of the beast in the NFL,  whether you want to believe it or not.

Still not giving in...to Yahoo!   :)  And you know I liked Bernard but not at one and Lacy but not at one....Loved Thornton in the 3rd....and we got a pretty fast hombre in Williams...looks goo on film......lets see what the kid can do...he looks fearless...in fact he looks like a honey badger ( They don't tak no_____), but that nickname was not available  crazy-smiley.gif

I'm hoping ur right....

To make it short: we still won't be a power running team. We will have some running plays, but will be a pass happy team. More corkscrew for Ballard.

I think it is etched in "Peppy Stone" we will take what the defense gives us.....two of Luck's best TD passes of the year including preseason were the short flip to DB in his first ever pass and the 'soft toss' to Donnie Avery for the HUGE Lion win....and Andrew.could have run that one.....OK maybe...good call to throw it.....thank%20god.gif

Denver has Montee Ball as well, to help out Moreno/McGahee. The Steelers have Redman and drafted Le'veon Bell too if I'm not mistaken, and you're right they let go of oft-injured Mendenhall.

I missed this Quiz...thread blew up very fast...HA HA!  I caught it late......You are correct!!!  

Did you consider Ballard to be a glaring weakness last year?

Bottom line, the writer, for whatever flaws he may have,  is not saying anything that all of us aren't saying right here on this website.

We are thin at running back.    Even if you think we'll keep Carter as well. 

It's Ballard, Brown, Carter and Williams carrying the ball.    With Havili and Moore at Fullback.

If Ballard goes down,  we don't have someone who will pick up the slack.   I think it's clear we can't expect Brown to go 16-20 touches a game for a full season.  And even if he could, is there someone to be a good #2, who could be responsible for 10-14 touches a game?

We're thin at the position.

I don't think they are... 

This team's OL has SUCKED for so long everyone does kart wheels in the front lawn when an OL is signed...   but the RB's?

The TEAM replaced OL....    not RB's.

All I am saying is give these dudes a chance to run through a hole on occasion....     

Brown scored ONCE last season with a 3.9 ypc...   Ballard ...   the GREAT VIC BALLARD (3.9 YPC)  scored all of 3 times...  on 100 more carries...   and the BIG HIGHLIGHT was screen pass... 

Seriously...    And not aimed directly at you NCF...    All the "Colts need a RB crowd" ...

Fight fight fight fight fight!

im starting to think the media is just looking for any hole on the colts. they complain about the o-line we add two new lineman in FA draft two not good enough. they complain about our secondary. we sign a a safety and two corners and draft a safety not good enough. they talk about our lack of pass rush so we go pass rusher in the first round still not good enough. im just gonna stop listening to those nitwits who get paid to write nonsense

I just got this information from my friend.  I know we have discussed and debated Vick Ballard and Donald Brown, but This article calls Brown a "flop'  I in no way think he is a flop.  I think he should come out along with Delone Carter and the "Rook" and prove the detractors wrong.

I am on the Ballard side of the debate, but as you know I have rooted any colt on....even Cassius Vaughn...during my biggest stomach aches of the year...Go  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltshelmet:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  haha  haha !!

Does the article sound fair?  Accurate?  Another jab at the Colts?  Let have some good Colts Fun!!!!

i dont listen to these sports writers anymore. both grigson and pagano have said their happy with their RB situation...and if their happy, im happy

Asking Kerwynn Williams to play the No.2 RB role by running between the tackles is like asking Sproles to run between the tackles consistently. Yes, it can be done as an element of surprise every now and then but doing it consistently will not be playing to his strength or our team's strengths. That is how I view it.

Regardless, I am rooting for Delone Carter, there is a reason he has not been let go yet and I am certainly not rooting for Mewelde Moore :) over Carter. :)

But then, you will have RBs like Bradshaw, Beanie Wells etc. we may look at after pre-season if things don't work out with the backup depth we want.

Asking Kerwynn Williams to play the No.2 RB role by running between the tackles is like asking Sproles to run between the tackles consistently. Yes, it can be done as an element of surprise every now and then but doing it consistently will not be playing to his strength or our team's strengths. That is how I view it.

Regardless, I am rooting for Delone Carter, there is a reason he has not been let go yet and I am certainly not rooting for Mewelde Moore :) over Carter. :)

But then, you will have RBs like Bradshaw, Beanie Wells etc. we may look at after pre-season if things don't work out with the backup depth we want.

I agree with this totally....I do want to see Williams in action however.  I cannot give up on Carter.....I have watched way too much football to do that!!

Yahoo Sports is wrong....unless Donald turns into a total bust or gets injured again for a long time...and the injury possibility a is huge concern...I hope he didn't get 'roids brittle' in college like Anthony Gonzalez.

Good post...is that anything like peanut brittle   :)

peanut-brittle-lg.jpg

Good post...is that anything like peanut brittle   :)

peanut-brittle-lg.jpg

Not quite. 

It is the practice of college guys taking steroids to maximize their shot at a big payday in the NFL draft.

The problem is that the use/overuse of steroids screws up muscles and makes injuries more likely.

The player gets his payday but the team gets screwed by drafting an injury-prone player with a very short career.

Williams will end up the #2, and that tells u how bad we should have taken Lacy, Franklin, Taylor...etc..etc.. we will see, I hope I'm wrong, believe me...

Well this is what we have:

a guy who has frankly been a disappointment for a first round pick and while he has given us glimpses of being special they are few and far between.  He's like a homerun hitter in baseball.  They tend to either hit homeruns or strike out.  The problem with Brown is that he strikes out WAY too much compared to the number of homeruns he hits.  With that said the flashes are there and if the line is improved and we can get him in the open space of the field there is reason to hope he could have his best year as a Colt.

A rookie that is unproven at the NFL level.

and short yardage back who has had major issues just staying healthy since he came into the NFL. 

So yeah we are thin behind Ballard. 

I don't think they are... 

This team's OL has SUCKED for so long everyone does kart wheels in the front lawn when an OL is signed...   but the RB's?

The TEAM replaced OL....    not RB's.

All I am saying is give these dudes a chance to run through a hole on occasion....     

Brown scored ONCE last season with a 3.9 ypc...   Ballard ...   the GREAT VIC BALLARD (3.9 YPC)  scored all of 3 times...  on 100 more carries...   and the BIG HIGHLIGHT was screen pass... 

Seriously...    And not aimed directly at you NCF...    All the "Colts need a RB crowd" ...

Not taken personally.....    no worries....    and I'm a firm believer that our RB's will be MUCH better with a better OL.

Which we should have this year.      I think we agree here more than we disagree.  

i dont listen to these sports writers anymore. both grigson and pagano have said their happy with their RB situation...and if their happy, im happy

What are they supposed to say? We are screwed??? Which we r if Ballard is hurt, remember Morwelde Moore anyone??? Come on, Really???

I agree, and I am still not convinced Delone is a FUMBLER any more than I think Donald Brown is a FLOP :bossy:

Also gotta remember Carter had the hand injury,not good for a RB to say the least,IMO im not really worried about the running game behind an improved OL.Ballard is a stud,if Carters hand is healed believe he can be,and Brown if healthy brings something different to the table.Dont think id be panicking about this article :funny: and I know your not Brother :thmsup:

I dislike Mewelde "More" than I ever thought I would after he played so poorly in about 3 straight last year.  He single handedly blew one of the games...refresh my memory Colts fans as to which one...:)

the houston game when he fumbled

im starting to think the media is just looking for any hole on the colts. they complain about the o-line we add two new lineman in FA draft two not good enough. they complain about our secondary. we sign a a safety and two corners and draft a safety not good enough. they talk about our lack of pass rush so we go pass rusher in the first round still not good enough. im just gonna stop listening to those nitwits who get paid to write nonsense

We were 11-5 and we now suck at every position other than QB....according to the media.....and we made big improvements.....How can we be so bad...drives the old LB crrrrrazy!!!!!  hulk.gif

Well this is what we have:

a guy who has frankly been a disappointment for a first round pick and while he has given us glimpses of being special they are few and far between.  He's like a homerun hitter in baseball.  They tend to either hit homeruns or strike out.  The problem with Brown is that he strikes out WAY too much compared to the number of homeruns he hits.  With that said the flashes are there and if the line is improved and we can get him in the open space of the field there is reason to hope he could have his best year as a Colt.

A rookie that is unproven at the NFL level.

and short yardage back who has had major issues just staying healthy since he came into the NFL. 

So yeah we are thin behind Ballard. 

I really like the baseball analogy on Brown....well done 8818!!!!

I based some of my opinions on teams depth with rookies that are unproven too.  I am hoping Williams surprises us.....as do Brown and Carter.  I would love to see Carter get a true shot if Ballard goes down.  Not a one game deal...a 62-7 loss where he had 83 yards....and was never heard from again due to a fumble....and I guess the loss.....thinking.gif...still a little bewildered by that...the only bright spot in that debacle and then he went into the Witness Protection Program.