Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Redoing The Draft

I thought this would be interesting to do since we would know who would be available at our picks (including trades) who would you have taken?

Round 1 Pick 24 - Xavier Rhodes CB Florida St. - Thought OLB could be addressed later on in the draft.
Round 3 Pick 86 - Hugh Thornton OG Illinois - I really liked this pick so I kept it I think he will do really well for us.
Round 4 Pick 121 - Johnathan Franklin RB UCLA - I thought he was the best back in this years draft.  Great pass protection and good speed.  3 down back.
Round 5 Pick 139 - Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida St. - Was hurt and fell down the board, but I think will do well. Raw.
Round 6 Pick 192 - Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas - I bit to lean needs to add bulk and a bit raw in route running and needs steadier hands. 
Round 7 Pick 230 - Chase Thomas OLB Stanford - Surprised he is still on the board, huge steal and great depth.
Round 7 Pick 254 - Melvin White CB/S Louisiana-Lafayette - bit of a tweener, but has good size for the CB position and could play safety, would of added depth.

This is how I would of gone about our draft, but I know everyones opinions are different and I am actually pretty happy with our draft, but just wanted to see how everyone else would have drafted.

Round 1 Pick 24 - 
Round 3 Pick 86 - 
Round 4 Pick 121 -
Round 5 Pick 139 - 
Round 6 Pick 192 - 
Round 7 Pick 230 - 
Round 7 Pick 254 - 

You can copy this template to redo your draft.

at 24 I still take Werner

at 86 still Thorton

now 121 I think I take S Rambo

Still make the 5th round trade but for a WR

at 192 still Boyett

the 2 c7th rounders the first one kepp Williams but the very last pick I don't take TE I think that is where I take a 3-4 DE what do all of you think?.

at 24 I still take Werner

at 86 still Thorton

now 121 I think I take S Rambo

Still make the 5th round trade but for a WR

at 192 still Boyett

the 2 c7th rounders the first one kepp Williams but the very last pick I don't take TE I think that is where I take a 3-4 DE what do all of you think?.

You' draft 2 FSs?

A pass rusher could be had later in the draft, but a 4th corner couldn't?

I wouldn't look at it that way. Some feel that the relative importance of the respective positions should hold ultimate sway over who you draft, but I think the projection of who will be the best pro is more important. I don't know anything more than anyone else, but it's my opinion that Rhodes is going to be a better pro than Werner. In that case, I would favor drafting Rhodes, not because corner is more important than pass rusher, but because I expect him to be a better player.

Again, I don't know anything, and I'm not complaining about Werner. I expect him to be a dang good piece for us as well.

Also, I believe Rhodes would have been our #3 corner this year, at worse.

Lastly, we could have taken Rhodes at #24 and Lemonier at #86, and still have scratched our pass rusher / Sam backer itch sufficiently. Werner is better the Lemonier, but that still would have been a nice pick (I kind of wanted him even after we took Werner).

No trades? I can't move out of #24? (Given the way the board fell, I wouldn't have anyways, just asking...)

Round 1 Pick 24 - Xavier Rhodes
Round 3 Pick 86 - Corey Lemonier
Round 4 Pick 121 - JC Tretter (projects as a guard in the NFL)
Round 5 Pick 139 - Montori Hughes
Round 6 Pick 192 - Chris Jones (DT/DE)
Round 7 Pick 230 - Ty Powell (OLB)
Round 7 Pick 254 - Michael Ford (RB)

(By the way, I fully believe in the Butterfly Effect. If we change our top pick, it influences the board behind us (Minnesota might take Patterson at #25 rather than trading back up to #29, and then that changes everything). So the rest of these guys might not have been there either, but whatever. I get the exercise.)

Someone should save this so that they can come back next year and tell us how stupid we all are for second guessing Ryan Grigson. Over the past couple of weeks, I've come to really like our draft, but I'm curious to see how this looks a year from now.

Trade 24 to Eagles for pick 35 and 67.

Round 2 pick 35- Tank Carradine DE

Round 3 pick 67- Keenan Allen WR

Round 3 pick 86- Hugh Thronton G

Round 4 pick 121- Johnathan Franklin RB 

Round 5 pick 139- Montori Hughes DT

Round 6 pick 192- Jordan Poyer CB

Round 7 pick 230- TY Powell OLB

Round 2 pick 253- Chase Thomas OLB

I agree with Superman that this will become fodder for some funny posts next year at this time.... the thread that somebody recently started that looks back at what we said about last year's draft is very funny to read... I've learned my lesson: 2nd guessing the draft is pointless until some empirical data starts to come in from the field...

I like the draft... I was as surprised as everybody else to hear Thornton, Holmes, and Hughes's names called, but I'm fine with the positions selected and know for a fact that Indy's scouts knew the players better than I did...

I'm of the opinion that so many of the pundits that have been complaining that we didn't draft a corner are overreacting... I've never seen so much discontent over failing to get a guy who would most likely be 4th on the depth chart... I understand that depth was a concern there, but not nearly enough to stray from the BPA strategy and be out of synch with Grigs's draft board... Butler is a better 3rd corner than most teams have in the league...

The only move that would have made me 2nd guess the draft would have been a failure to get a guard, but that was an immediate need for 2013... a fourth corner can be gotten in UDFA much more easily than a starting caliber G (or an OLB who was the best DE in the country by a mile last season, for that matter)...

I do hope that many of my fellow Colts fans vigorously take part in this exercise because It does provide a good snapshot of what we were thinking after the draft and usually provides a perfect example of why football teams don't make personnel decisions by polling the fans...   

I agree with Superman that this will become fodder for some funny posts next year at this time.... the thread that somebody recently started that looks back at what we said about last year's draft is very funny to read... I've learned my lesson: 2nd guessing the draft is pointless until some empirical data starts to come in from the field...

I like the draft... I was as surprised as everybody else to hear Thornton, Holmes, and Hughes's names called, but I'm fine with the positions selected and know for a fact that Indy's scouts knew the players better than I did...

I'm of the opinion that so many of the pundits that have been complaining that we didn't draft a corner are overreacting... I've never seen so much discontent over failing to get a guy who would most likely be 4th on the depth chart... I understand that depth was a concern there, but not nearly enough to stray from the BPA strategy and be out of synch with Grigs's draft board... Butler is a better 3rd corner than most teams have in the league...

The only move that would have made me 2nd guess the draft would have been a failure to get a guard, but that was an immediate need for 2013... a fourth corner can be gotten in UDFA much more easily than a starting caliber G (or an OLB who was the best DE in the country by a mile last season, for that matter)...

I do hope that many of my fellow Colts fans vigorously take part in this exercise because It does provide a good snapshot of what we were thinking after the draft and usually provides a perfect example of why football teams don't make personnel decisions by polling the fans...   

I agree with most of your thoughts here, but disagree with the characterization of Rhodes as a 4th corner. I think he'd be a 3rd corner right now (making Butler the 4th, even though I agree with you that Butler can be one of the best nickel guys in the league, so he'd definitely be awesome as a dimeback). But more importantly, he'd be a lockdown guy for several years.

I've been called a cornerbackite; I'm not. I just like Rhodes, not because he's a corner, but because I think he's going to be a lockdown corner in the NFL. It's not that I'm so concerned with the corners we have, nor do I think that we absolutely needed to draft a corner. I'm not even nearly as down on Cassius Vaughn as others around here are, especially if he's the dimeback. But I think Rhodes is going to be a stud.

I wouldn't look at it that way. Some feel that the relative importance of the respective positions should hold ultimate sway over who you draft, but I think the projection of who will be the best pro is more important. I don't know anything more than anyone else, but it's my opinion that Rhodes is going to be a better pro than Werner. In that case, I would favor drafting Rhodes, not because corner is more important than pass rusher, but because I expect him to be a better player.

Again, I don't know anything, and I'm not complaining about Werner. I expect him to be a dang good piece for us as well.

Lastly, we could have taken Rhodes at #24 and Lemonier at #86, and still have scratched our pass rusher / Sam backer itch sufficiently. Werner is better the Lemonier, but that still would have been a nice pick (I kind of wanted him even after we took Werner).

While I agree, I don't think the poster was looking at it like that....he just wanted a corner.

Round 1 Pick 24 - I still take Werner, loved this pick on draft day and i havent soured on it.

Round 3 Pick 86 - Loved the Thornton pick here, excellent prospect, i still take him

Round 4 Pick 121 - Khaled Holmes is a very smart, albeit slightly undersized centre who definately has the potential to be our long term starter, i keep this pick.

Round 5 Pick 139 - I dont make the trade. I like him but im not sure he's worth what we gave up. I would prefer to have the 4th rounder next season when there is a much stronger draft class. But that's up to him to prove me wrong.

Round 6 Pick 192 - Loved the Boyett pick, I still take him.

Round 7 Pick 230 - Williams brings great value. Gives us a player comparable to Darren Sproles. I keep him.

Round 7 Pick 254 - Since i passed on Hughes in the 5th, I take the best 3-4 DE available

I just did this for fun honestly.  Like I said before, I did like our draft and think that it was done very well by our front office.  

It is funny how we differ on how players project but scouts do too. I viewed Rhodes as a better fit as a SS than a CB.  I wanted Williams the DT from UNC with the first pick but after viewing tape over and over I would not change a single player Grigson picked.

I was a proponent of trading down in this draft and trying to accumulate mid-round picks. I chose actual trades that the Colts realistically could have done (or at least gotten similar value).

- Colts trade down – (1)24 to Vikings for 2(52), 3(83), 4(102), 7(229) – This trade happened for the 29th pick

- Colts trade down - 2(52) to Ravens for 2(62), 5(165), 6(199) – This trade happened for the 56th pick

- Colts trade down - 3(83) to saints for 4(106), 4(109) – This trade happened for the 82nd pick

- Colts trade up - 5(165), 6(199) to Lions for 5(139) – The Seahawks did this exact trade - (This allows us to keep our 2014 4th round pick)

Colts Picks:

2(62), 3(86), 4(102), 4(106), 4(109), 4(121), 5(139), 6(192), 7(229), 7(230), 7(254)

2(62) – Damontre Moore

3(86) – Hugh Thornton

4(102) – Barrett Jones

4(106) – Khaled Holmes

4(109) – Jonathan Franklin

4(121) – Quinton Patton

5(139) – Montori Hughes

6(192) – John Boyett

7(229) – Ty Powell

7(230) – Justice Cunningham

7(254) – Darick Rogers

I left all of the Colts real draft picks in this draft except for Werner. I think we could have gotten more value out of our first round pick by trading it. (Edit: forgot I dropped Kerwynn Williams since I picked up Franklin so that is 2 changes to the Colts original draft)

- Instead of Werner we are picking up Damontre Moore & Ty Powell for OLB. Maybe not quite the same caliber but both definitely have potential.

- In addition to Thornton we are also getting a versatile OL/C in Barrett Jones making McGlynn and others expendable.

- We are getting two very good WR’s who could be possible replacements for Wayne.

- We pick up a good RB to compliment Ballard in case D. brown fails to capitalize on his last chance.

IMO … Moore, Jones, Franklin, Patton, Powell, Rogers, and retaining our 2014 4th rnd pick >>> Werner

A few points:

1) Even if we did the draft again, a lot of posters still would've picked Thornton and Hughes. Props to the forum!

2) Last year, I was clamoring for the Colts to pick up Cordy Glenn in the 2nd instead of Fleenor. I'm still going to insist that I was right (unless Coby blows it up this year, which he still might). But I understand why they did it: this year's draft class was just loaded with offensive line talent.

It's probably the same reason why we didn't pick up a WR this year. Next year's draft is probably loaded with elite skills players.

Overall, though, I will say, Grigson will be right a lot more often than me... even though he did bungle the whole center situation (cough... Shipley... cough cough... Satele...). ;-)