Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ted Brusci Picks the Colts to Win Their Division

King Colt

And look, I don't know who wins the division right now. I hope it is us but if it isn't I want to at least get back to the postseason again as a WC.....and pray we become a good enough road team. The Aaron Rodgers led Packers managed to ironically win a Super Bowl before he even helped lead them to a division title. But, those Packers in 2010 had a surprisingly good and underrated defense all season so it didn't surprise me. It was not just an Aaron Rodgers thing even though he was brilliant in that one game in Atlanta. That team played DEFENSE. A rarity these days for the Pack.

Every offseason we always get caught up in high seedings and division titles but often that stuff doesn't even matter when a team goes on a strong postseason run and all the upsets start brewing.

I think the Colts are a bit of an enigma and sometimes I don't even know how favored we should be.

I do believe we make the playoffs again right now since I don't believe (until proven otherwise) the AFC is very deep outside of the usual suspects but I don't know how we get there or what spot we will be in.

It should be a fun season. The NFC west is going to IMO tell us a lot about where we all stand in the AFC South. Between the 49ers, the Seahawks, a Bruce Arians led team and a Jeff Fisher team too for crying out loud. :catfight:

Good times ahead.......

Maybe Jim Harbaugh will go easy on Luck since he loves him?

Call me crazy but I have long thought Houston might be better off in the playoffs in an underdog role as a WC team. A tough running/defensive minded road warrior much like the 2005 Steelers or the 2007 Giants even. When Houston is too built up for a "big game" or favored I never seem to trust them enough. Just look at them over the years coming to Indy or playing in NE when the pressure is on for them to prove they are this elite team. But, look at them when they went to Denver last year for example when many (many especially here) picked Denver to torch them at home and since "Manning always beats the Texans." The Texans seemed more like an underdog and they thrived. And I want to hear no excuses about the time of the season matters when you play someone or Manning was still rusty, Houston carved them up, period. In 2011 those underdog Texans nearly made it to the AFCCG without Schaub.

On the flip side, last years Colts did not show us much to be confident about when they head on the road. Of course that could change this year considering we are still a pretty young squad and developing so we don't know what will happen and how soon. But, last year at home outside of one mistake vs. the Jags we were MONEY. ATM until proven otherwise I would feel much more comfortable about the Colts hosting a playoff game rather then heading to the road again.

Houston was riddled with injuries last season & I was surprised how much they missed Brian Cushing. When he left the lineup, that defense was never the same the rest of the year. Tennessee always gives the Colts fits for some reason with solid lines on both sides of the ball. Chris Johnson was a shell of his former self. The tread on those tires is getting thin IMO. Schaub has got to get into the huddle & make clutch throws this year & not get injured. A very important year for him & like Jules said or inferred he must manage expectations better when the games get bigger & the spotlight gets brighter.

The Jags. Put Chad Henne in permanently & cut Blaine Gabbert right now. When MJD is still your brightest shinning star & Blackmon is struggling with alcohol addiction, your season is over before it has even started...Sad just sad..Like a Jaguar sleeping in the jungle no one fears you or views you as a threat period.

Yes, the Jags are like the Sesame Street equivalent of which AFC South team does not really belong in this division or NFL league for that matter. Okay, perhaps that was a tad harsh, but if the shoe fits...[i'm not sayin' I'm just saying]...

Unfortunately the Jags for all their craptastic ways can often find new and creative ways to break our hearts.

It's a divisional thing. I mean even when the Pats were winning SBs didn't the Dolphins used to sometimes punk them? Heck I think no matter how good New Orleans looks the Bucs often give them fits of rage. And lol at the 49ers/Rams last year. No doubt who the better overall team was but Jeff Fisher flat out has Jim Harbaugh staying up later at night now! And ask the Giants how they feel about playing RGIII after last season......heh.

Houston was riddled with injuries last season & I surprised how much they missed Brian Cushing. When he left the lineup, that defense was never the same the rest of the year. Tennessee always gives the Colts fits for some reason with solid lines on both sides of the ball. Chris Johnson was a shell of his former self. The tread on those tires is getting thin IMO. Schaub has got to get into the huddle & make clutch throws this year & not get injured. A very important year for him & like Jules said or inferred he must manage expectations better when the games get bigger & the spotlight gets better.

The Jags. Put Chad Henne in permanently & cut Blaine Gabbert right now. When MJD is still your brightest shinning star & Blackmon is struggling with alcohol addiction, your season is over before it has even started...Sad just sad..Like a Jaguar sleeping in the jungle no one fears you or views you as a threat period. 

I don't mean to contradict you but I usually feel as if we will pull out the win vs. TN.. I usually worry more vs. the Jags since they seem to do sneaky things over the years to get the win!!!

And yes Houston has had some issues in big "pressure" games. I am not sure if it's mental issues with the players, the coaches or a lack of talent at times in areas due to injuries or they are just being exploited.

I felt Houston became very vulnerable after Aaron Rodgers pretty much steam rolled them last year.....I believe that was right after Cushing got hurt but I am not sure. Either way it was like Rodgers exposed them on defense.

Schaub does get that "deer in the headlights" look though you are correct about that.

Overall I feel Houston has a lot of strong pieces but I never feel as if it truly comes together and really clicks at the right time.......

The 2011 Texans I felt played incredibly inspired defense in the postseason and they seemed to really enjoy the underdog role.....I am not sure but even though I am not a huge believer in Schaub I often had felt like if he was there in 2011 that might have been the Texans year.

And look, I don't know who wins the division right now. I hope it is us but if it isn't I want to at least get back to the postseason again as a WC.....and pray we become a good enough road team. The Aaron Rodgers led Packers managed to ironically win a Super Bowl before he even helped lead them to a division title. But, those Packers in 2010 had a surprisingly good and underrated defense all season so it didn't surprise me. It was not just an Aaron Rodgers thing even though he was brilliant in that one game in Atlanta. That team played DEFENSE. A rarity these days for the Pack.

Every offseason we always get caught up in high seedings and division titles but often that stuff doesn't even matter when a team goes on a strong postseason run and all the upsets start brewing.

I think the Colts are a bit of an enigma and sometimes I don't even know how favored we should be.

I do believe we make the playoffs again right now since I don't believe (until proven otherwise) the AFC is very deep outside of the usual suspects but I don't know how we get there or what spot we will be in.

It should be a fun season. The NFC west is going to IMO tell us a lot about where we all stand in the AFC South. Between the 49ers, the Seahawks, a Bruce Arians led team and a Jeff Fisher team too for crying out loud. :catfight:

Good times ahead.......

Maybe Jim Harbaugh will go easy on Luck since he loves him?

I'd really like to see Seattle grasp the NFC West in it's symbolic talons & take that division by storm. The 49ers won't be denied though. I know Bruce Arians is a brilliant QB motivator but Carson Palmer is big, old, & slow. The Cardinals are no Playoff contender to me at all. The Packers...It all depends how quickly their 2 new RBs get integrated into the scheme. You never know with DC Dom Capers. He is due for a better season though. Atlanta: I love the addition of RB Steven Jackson. Matt Ryan is due to make a serious Playoffs run especially with this being TE Tony Gonsalez's final NFL season. I have more confidence in QB Russell Wilson in Seattle though. I saw all his games at UW-Madson. The kid never gives up & his confidence is contagious. People will walk through fire for that man. He has an incredible sense of quiet confidence about him.

Jeff Fisher & St. Louis...I need to see 4 or 5 games of theirs 1st before I make a call on their prospects this season. Jake Long was a nice free agent addition though. 

I'd really like to see Seattle grasp the NFC West in it's symbolic talons & take that division by storm. The 49ers won't be denied though. I know Bruce Arians is a brilliant QB motivator but Carson Palmer is big, old, & slow. The Cardinals are no Playoff contender to me at all. The Packers...It all depends how quickly their 2 new RBs get integrated into the scheme. You never know with DC Dom Capers. He is due for a better season though. Atlanta: I love the addition of RB Steven Jackson. Matt Ryan is due to make a serious Playoffs run especially with this being TE Tony Gonsalez's final NFL season. I have more confidence in QB Russell Wilson in Seattle though. I saw all his games at UW-Madson. The kid never gives up & his confidence is contagious. People will walk through fire for that man. He has an incredible sense of quiet confidence about him.

Jeff Fisher & St. Louis...I need to see 4 or 5 games of theirs 1st before I make a call on their prospects this season. Jake Long was a nice free agent addition though. 

Will also be interesting to see if the 49ers have a "Super Bowl loser slump". Happens to the best of them at times. Sure NE did make it to the AFCCG last year after losing a SB but losing a SB was not new to that organization either. Brady is still going to be Brady no matter what.

The 49ers D also disappointed me at times last year even though they were a hair from winning it all. The 2011 49ers/Texans Ds were FIERCE. And declined in 2012 some. Then again teams get film and learn how to attack it better too.....

And ask the Giants how they feel about playing RGIII after last season......heh.

Ha! Ha! I always feel sorry for JPP & Justin Tuck trying to catch RG3. It's like an elephant trying to slow down a cheetah. If you take the wrong angle, it's over. Zoom! What? Where the hades did he go? He was just right here. You mean I have to line up & do this again & it's only the start of the 3rd quarter...Oh great, how just bleeping lovely...Sigh...

Will also be interesting to see if the 49ers have a "Super Bowl loser slump". Happens to the best of them at times. Sure NE did make it to the AFCCG last year after losing a SB but losing a SB was not new to that organization either. Brady is still going to be Brady no matter what.

The 49ers D also disappointed me at times last year even though they were a hair from winning it all. The 2011 49ers/Texans Ds were FIERCE. And declined in 2012 some. Then again teams get film and learn how to attack it better too.....

I don't see a SB slump actually. The 49ers lost to the NY Giants & Ravens. Losing a few steps away from the NFL Promiseland crawls right under your skin in back to back seasons & nothing else matters...Not the NFL pundits, not the fans, not your wife & kids, but proving to yourself that nothing & I do mean nothing will prevent your city, your locker room, & your team mates from hoisting a silver trophy triumphantly in the air.

Jim Harbaugh reminds me of a cross between a mad scientist & bloodthirsty boxer that refuses to fall & will just keep swinging. I agree that Brady will always be Brady, but who ever their AFC opponent is...The 49ers defense is like a pack of wild wolves who haven't eaten in a month & they are lickin' their chops ready to gnaw on whoever gets in their way...

I don't see a SB slump actually. The 49ers lost to the NY Giants & Ravens. Losing a few steps away from the NFL Promiseland crawls right under your skin in back to back seasons & nothing else matters...Not the NFL pundits, not the fans, not your wife & kids, but proving to yourself that nothing & I do mean nothing will prevent your city, your locker room, & your team mates from hoisting a silver trophy triumphantly in the air. 

Jim Harbaugh reminds me of a cross between a mad scientist & bloodthirsty boxer that refuses to fall & will just keep swinging. I agree that Brady will always be Brady, but who ever their AFC opponent is...The 49ers defense is like a pack of wild wolves who haven't eaten in a mouth & they are lickin' their chops ready to gnaw on whoever gets in their way...

True, they did lose the NFC title game. Then the SB. Is the next step winning it all? lol. Guess we'll see. I won't count them out......way too much talent and top coaching.

Yeah old Jim Harbaugh is rather interesting at times that's for sure. :thmup: I have a tough time trying to imagine the 49ers getting complacent under that man.

Hank Baskett is on the top of mine why we didn't win multiple SBs. 

I hear ya man...Whenever I see Hank picture in a 2009 SB highlight, I roll my eyes & hiss like an diabolical, black cat, Catholic exorcism, or vampire that has just been exposed to sunlight or a cross. Ha! Ha! Let's just say that if Hank had a car malfunction I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pull over & come to his aid either Tank The Shark. Cruel...Yes, but all he had to do was catch an onside kick that fell right to him. When it comes to my Colts, I expect results...Simple as that. 

True, they did lose the NFC title game. Then the SB. Is the next step winning it all? lol. Guess we'll see. I won't count them out......way too much talent and top coaching.

Yeah old Jim Harbaugh is rather interesting at times that's for sure. :thmup: I have a tough time trying to imagine the 49ers getting complacent under that man.

I agree Jules. Jim Harbaugh is right on the cusp of achieving NFL greatness & that man is driven to win & return San Francisco to their glory years again. I just have no idea who their SB opponent will be. Pats? Denver? Texans? Chargers? Colts?  Is there a dark horse team slithering in the weeds? I have no clue. 

Like I said in another topic, I'd love to see Packers vs Patriots eventually. Not this year though but down the road. Or Colts vs Redskins. Or Denver vs Seattle...Talk about divided loyalties for me Montee Ball vs Russel Wilson [Tough to pick between my alma mater football players man]. Or the Texans vs the Cowboys for who really owns the Lonestar State. I'd love to see the Texans stomp all over Jerry's World...That would so awesome! 

I watched last night till 6 AM yesterday morning the complete playoffs and 1st SB win DVD. I was in need for it and I forgot how long watching all 4 DVD took :}LOL and thought over and over that darn onside kick and remembering saying over and over watch out for trick plays since the Saints really had nothing to lose all 1st half and none happen, I totally forgot that Hank Baskett that mishandling of that onside kick so I had to look up that name, but I blame the whole team and coaches for the entire game not one guy. Colts were the better team and wa la 2nd half opening kick off was an onside kick (I had a feeling a trick play would happen) and it was the best time to do it and Caldwell I bet was so arrogant he never thought about it, I suspect he thought the game was won no matter what since he had P.Manning, I bet it did change him for his roll in the Ravens SB, what he learned from that loss helped him realize no matter what it's a battle from start to finish and not take anything for granted, doesn't help the Colts of course now, but the Saints win did help to heal a devastated city so I don't hate the Saints and or Hank Baskett.....

Ps. I will never during the rest of my life watch that SB, it's still heart wrenching just thinking about it  :(

Anyway. Go Colts!!!!!

I agree Jules. Jim Harbaugh is right on the cusp of achieving NFL greatness & that man is driven to win & return San Francisco to their glory years again. I just have no idea who their SB opponent will be. Pats? Denver? Texans? Chargers? Colts?  Is there a dark horse team slithering in the weeds? I have no clue. 

Like I said in another topic, I'd love to see Packers vs Patriots eventually. Not this year though but down the road. Or Colts vs Redskins. Or Denver vs Seattle...Talk about divided loyalties for me Montee Ball vs Russel Wilson [Tough to pick between my alma mater football players man]. Or the Texans vs the Cowboys for who really owns the Lonestar State. I'd love to see the Texans stomp all over Jerry's World...That would so awesome! 

I had this funny dream a month ago that we were playing the Patriots and it was this coming season so it was of course the playoffs since we do not play them in the regular season. It was a high scoring game that ended up in OT. And it was in Indy. Like it was REALLY high scoring too.....I think both of us were well in the 40's.

We lost in OT.

Now a lot of my dreams about particular games almost always in football end up in OPPOSITES. Last year I dreamed ahead of time we would lose to the Browns, we would beat NE in the regular season and that we would beat the Ravens in the playoffs. I also dreamed the Pats would beat the Ravens in the AFCCG. I also dreamed NO would be a serious Super Bowl threat before the season started, not about any particular Saints game but just that they would be a huge threat to be there lol.

So rest easy Colts nation if my dreaming of opposites continues this year. We will end up beating NE in the playoffs and that is all we know right now. Not sure where the game will be though since I usually dream opposites. And the score might be lower since I dreamed it was high.

:rock:  :D  :yay:

I hear ya man...Whenever I see Hank picture in a 2009 SB highlight, I roll my eyes & hiss like an diabolical, black cat, Catholic exorcism, or vampire that has just been exposed to sunlight or a cross. Ha! Ha! Let's just say that if Hank had a car malfunction I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pull over & come to his aid either Tank The Shark. Cruel...Yes, but all he had to do was catch an onside kick that fell right to him. When it comes to my Colts, I expect results...Simple as that. 

I am glad more people know his wife more than they know him.

Everytime I want to hate him, I just remember who is wife is and it is all good.

Lol well I have a sister so I never really had to worry about opening a can of whoop $$^. I totally get you though, when little brother finally gets bigger and thinks he can run things all of a sudden you have to put him in his place! The question is are the Colts up to the task this year though? For the sake of our third crown I hope not ha!

I don't think it will be easy for either team. Them pesky titans may even give us some fits. Not to long ago this was the strongest division in the NFL. Would be nice to see it again.

I don't think it will be easy for either team. Them pesky titans may even give us some fits. Not to long ago this was the strongest division in the NFL. Would be nice to see it again.

Yep, no doubt. Maybe that South dominance starts again this year.

Its really hard to tell... I'm glad somebody is picking Indy...

On a side note: Luck said earlier that Ed Reed was the best defensive player he payed against in his first year... I'm not sure where Watt lands on his list, but I'm sure he is up there....

I think that Indy Vs. Hou. has the makings of a fantastic rivalry... In the past there were always other teams that Colts fans liked beating more, but last season proved that there are compelling story-lines between the two teams... The division being more competitive than in recent years helps as well... Houston was the better team for the last two seasons, but have still never won at Indy... Next season is going to be EPIC!

Probably nobody. But I was more focused on Luck. You saw what we did with Manning. How he elevated the whole team.

I expected a similar impact from Luck. He was rated even higher than Manning coming out of College. Not 11-12 win impact but I expected him to have a .500 impact. As for the others. We still had Reggie, Free and Mathis. Add in Vontae Davis and Coby Fleener and I felt like we werent operating with a bare bones cupboard.

And yet it wasn't for me. Because I looked at the talent/personnel/character we had and did not see them mailing it in.

I just don't give them a pass. It is their job to drill down past a glance at the surface....which is obviously what the majority of them did.

If I thought that was a part of their job desciption....to prove it before they make the call...then I'd think the same. But it is their job to do more than make simple observations based on past performance. Any tool can do that.

Agreed. ;)

Good points and I give it up for those that proposed a .500 or better season.  But remember, even though we shook up the lineup from the 2-14 atrocity, we also had many rooks starting and journeymen vets in starting roles.  The big kicker was having 35-40 million (IIRC) in payroll tied up in dead money and not represented out on the field.  We had to field a team with 2/3 the payroll of many other teams. Even if better was out there, we could get them being cap strapped.  And often rooks make mistakes at critical time that might cost games.  So I took a few away from 500 and guessed we'd be the best looking 5 win team ever.  We were certainly fine looking, but no game kiling mistakes, and folks over achieving.  I didn't see that coming, but most surely welcomed it.  :yes:

Why would he not have? Before the season we had what looked like an expansion roster on paper. No one could have predicted the incredible rookie impacts.

I predicted it.  And I'm sure a lot of people on this site predicted.  Sure, maybe it's only because we're rabid fans and I predicted the Colts to wiin the SB each of the last ten years until last year.  I'm a little ashamed that I only predicted 10-6 and miss the playoffs last year.  I undershot, despite the fact that the national experts were saying the Colts would be doormats again.  I don't have any animocity towards Tedy or any of those guys, but the fact remains that we were generally right, and the national experts were very wrong last year...