Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Really like the Kerwynn Williams pick..

I think we stole this kid and he will be a dangerous returner and 3rd down back and will relegate Donald "Can't Get Right" Brown to the bench...Love the way he doesn't dance around like most scat backs, he hits the hole and is gone....

I think we stole this kid and he will be a dangerous returner and 3rd down back and will relegate Donald "Can't Get Right" Brown to the bench...Love the way he doesn't dance around like most scat backs, he hits the hole and is gone....

I hope so I can't stand RBs that dance around they always get a loss or no gain

I think he's small and shifty and he catches well out of the backfield. He has a great highlight reel, but watching him play an entire game, you can see that he's not as dynamic as we all would like him to be. We hope that he'll be a playmaker like DeAnthony Thomas is for Oregon, but he falls short... way short.

He may work out best in the return game.

I don't see much shiftiness he is a straight ahead runner which I like, and he is small and hard to find I think he will be a weapon...He is not an every down back but will be another weapon and will make some plays...He will def make the squad..

I think he's small and shifty and he catches well out of the backfield. He has a great highlight reel, but watching him play an entire game, you can see that he's not as dynamic as we all would like him to be. We hope that he'll be a playmaker like DeAnthony Thomas is for Oregon, but he falls short... way short.

He may work out best in the return game.

No he doesn't, he is consistently ripping off big gains. Watch him against Toledo, that just wasn't fair

I don't see much shiftiness he is a straight ahead runner which I like, and he is small and hard to find I think he will be a weapon...He is not an every down back but will be another weapon and will make some plays...He will def make the squad..

A running back has to have shiftiness unless you want the next DB who also dont show alot of shiftiness and who is a straight ahead runner, The thing about them straight line runners? They are great....If the O Line opens up that hole they are running to but if the O Line dont open up that hole ya have a loss of yards quite often....Donald Brown would be characterized as a straight line runner

I hope so I can't stand RBs that dance around they always get a loss or no gain

An encouraging note on Williams in that regard:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=97541&draftyear=2013&genpos=RB

It centers around senior Kerwynn Williams, who had 1,277 yards on the ground and averaged 6.4 yards per carry. What may say the most about his attack, and the offensive line creating holes for him, was that in 200 attempts Williams only lost a total of 64 yards for the season. He set up reasonable third-down situations all season.

No he doesn't, he is consistently ripping off big gains. Watch him against Toledo, that just wasn't fair

So, he doesn't fall short in comparison to DeAnthony Thomas? I get that one will probably be drafted at the top of next years draft and Williams was a late round draft pick this year, so we're comparing two guys who necessarily shouldn't be compared to one another, but DeAnthony Thomas is way more of a playmaker, and has done it against better competition.

I'm not saying that Williams isn't a good player, but unfortunately, he's not what we all "want" him to be-- the next Sproles-- as he's consistently being compared to. I think he'll be a good special teams player and possibly used on third downs, but I think we're better served keeping Ballard in on third downs.

Also, the youtube video I posted wasn't a bad game for Williams. He had a very good TD off of a screen play.

So, he doesn't fall short in comparison to DeAnthony Thomas? I get that one will probably be drafted at the top of next years draft and Williams was a late round draft pick this year, so we're comparing two guys who necessarily shouldn't be compared to one another, but DeAnthony Thomas is way more of a playmaker, and has done it against better competition.

I'm not saying that Williams isn't a good player, but unfortunately, he's not what we all "want" him to be-- the next Sproles-- as he's consistently being compared to. I think he'll be a good special teams player and possibly used on third downs, but I think we're better served keeping Ballard in on third downs.

Also, the youtube video I posted wasn't a bad game for Williams. He had a very good TD off of a screen play.

Why? He can't block or catch. What's the upside to keeping him on 3rd down?

That's good I hate when the stretch to the side line and only get a yard or no gain Addai used to do that it was terrible

That wasn't Addai's fault, that was our running scheme. Blame Howard Mudd and the lack of good run blockers on the offensive line. When the blocking was good, Addai could turn the corner and gain yards, or if he saw a lane, he'd get through it. He wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. He just couldn't hold up as a feature back, and our blocking got worse every year he was here.

Either way, it seems one of the major criticisms to Williams game is that he doesn't do a good job finding cut back lanes. Sounds like he's good at working through the hole when it's where it's supposed to be, but not that great at improvising or making people miss. Which is ironic to me, because that's how I'd describe Donald Brown. The more I read about Williams, the more he seems to me like a smaller Brown with more experience in the passing and return game. I haven't watched a lot of Williams' film, but the scouting reports seem to be in agreement across the board.

I just watched the entire game for about an hour and a half, just to see him rip off three huge runs in the 4th lol. I felt like I was watching an Andy Reid  coached game the way they weren't running the ball. haha

A running back has to have shiftiness unless you want the next DB who also dont show alot of shiftiness and who is a straight ahead runner, The thing about them straight line runners? They are great....If the O Line opens up that hole they are running to but if the O Line dont open up that hole ya have a loss of yards quite often....Donald Brown would be characterized as a straight line runner

The difference is he hits the hole and Donald Brown doesn't see the hole....

The difference is he hits the hole and Donald Brown doesn't see the hole....

I think Brown has his mind made up before most run plays even start where he is going to go and does not change his mind either fast enough or much at all to make a different move often

I like Williams alot as well plays similar to Darren Sproles. I think we should cut Donald Brown who hasn' t been good and injury prone and have Williams backup Ballard.

Oh you think? Little too early to say that....

I have yet to see him juke a defender.

He doesn't really juke people. What I mean by get him the ball in space: Screens, flares, dumps, wheels, short passes into the flats........he isn't a between the tackles runner. I'm not saying he is a between the tackles runner nor should he be the number 1 option. I am simply saying he can make plays if used correctly. Like I said; he doesn't juke.....he finds the opening in the defense and goes.

He doesn't really juke people. What I mean by get him the ball in space: Screens, flares, dumps, wheels, short passes into the flats........he isn't a between the tackles runner. I'm not saying he is a between the tackles runner nor should he be the number 1 option. I am simply saying he can make plays if used correctly. Like I said; he doesn't juke.....he finds the opening in the defense and goes.

That's his problem, he doesn't create. Every good running back has the ability to get something when there is nothing.

If Donald Brown doesn't have "space" or a gaping whole to run through, he is toast. He can (and will IMO) be replaced by a guy like Kerwynn Williams who is going to come in hungry and able to play multiple positions.

If Donald is so great in space, why not let him return kicks where he has like a 15-20 yard cushion. Oops that wouldn't work either because occasionally you have to make someone miss.

I loved the Williams pick for Indy. I think he's basically a poor man's Gio Bernard, which if you're talking about smallish back, you may as well try to get the cheaper guy instead of paying premium like CIN did for Bernard.

I compared their college stats in this post on my fantasy football site. http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/04/running-back-arbitrage-kerwynn-williams-vs-giovani-bernard/

That's his problem, he doesn't create. Every good running back has the ability to get something when there is nothing.

If Donald Brown doesn't have "space" or a gaping whole to run through, he is toast. He can (and will IMO) be replaced by a guy like Kerwynn Williams who is going to come in hungry and able to play multiple positions.

If Donald is so great in space, why not let him return kicks where he has like a 15-20 yard cushion. Oops that wouldn't work either because occasionally you have to make someone miss.

Brilliance.....finally some one on here who knows what they are talking about!

I loved the Williams pick for Indy. I think he's basically a poor man's Gio Bernard, which if you're talking about smallish back, you may as well try to get the cheaper guy instead of paying premium like CIN did for Bernard.

I compared their college stats in this post on my fantasy football site. http://rotoviz.com/index.php/2013/04/running-back-arbitrage-kerwynn-williams-vs-giovani-bernard/

I loved Bernard and admittingly knew nothing about Williams, but if he gets a hole i can see him 15 yards down field b4 he gets touched

That wasn't Addai's fault, that was our running scheme. Blame Howard Mudd and the lack of good run blockers on the offensive line. When the blocking was good, Addai could turn the corner and gain yards, or if he saw a lane, he'd get through it. He wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. He just couldn't hold up as a feature back, and our blocking got worse every year he was here.

Either way, it seems one of the major criticisms to Williams game is that he doesn't do a good job finding cut back lanes. Sounds like he's good at working through the hole when it's where it's supposed to be, but not that great at improvising or making people miss. Which is ironic to me, because that's how I'd describe Donald Brown. The more I read about Williams, the more he seems to me like a smaller Brown with more experience in the passing and return game. I haven't watched a lot of Williams' film, but the scouting reports seem to be in agreement across the board.

I loved Addai personally.

I liked Joe a lot too. Was surprised when we drafted him though. He was a good north/south runner but he just kept taking big hits too often, then he started to dance.

He was a very poor mans Eric Dickerson which wasn't bad, got the job done...

I loved Addai personally.

I really liked him in 2006 and 2007. He was hurt in 2008 (and the line came apart), he kind of bounced back in 2009, then he was hurt for the rest of his time here. I was ready to move on after 2010.

I liked Joe a lot too. Was surprised when we drafted him though. He was a good north/south runner but he just kept taking big hits too often, then he started to dance.

I think I like our players far too much. Even when they're bad.

For example, i loved having Zbikowski here and I thought that Kelvin Hayden and Jerraud Powers were just the dogs.

Not sure what value this adds to the debate but I just thought I'd share :P

I think I like our players far too much. Even when they're bad.

For example, i loved having Zbikowski here and I thought that Kelvin Hayden and Jerraud Powers were just the dogs.

Not sure what value this adds to the debate but I just thought I'd share :P

Zbki would have been a great 3rd safety behind Landry and Bethea.

Hayden blew up off of a pic in the Super Bowl.

I liked Powers though, he was tough for a little guy. Good in coverage, just lacked speed and durability.

Zbki would have been a great 3rd safety behind Landry and Bethea.

Hayden blew up off of a pic in the Super Bowl.

I liked Powers though, he was tough for a little guy. Good in coverage, just lacked speed and durability.

I don't even know where any of those guys ended up.

Am I right in saying Powers is with Arizona now? I seem to think Hayden is on the Bears but I'm not sure and I have no idea about Zibby.

I don't even know where any of those guys ended up.

Am I right in saying Powers is with Arizona now? I seem to think Hayden is on the Bears but I'm not sure and I have no idea about Zibby.

Powers did go to AZ. I thought he'd go to the Chargers.

Hayden is still a Bear, and Zbikowski joined him.

Again, really liked Joe but he was far from a poor mans Eric Divkerson

More like a 3rd world country mans Eric Dickerson

;)

I said very poor man's...lmao, they had similar upright running styles, but Dickerson was a gazelle once he got loose and Addai wasn't...

Again, I am not clamoring for him to be our top producer. Everything I said makes him a 3rd down back. My initial post was simply to say that he has been used in a role that is not ideal for him......bottom line. He was no doubt over-drafted in a draft that was kind of light on top notch RBs (Knowshon Moreno, Donald Brown, Lesean McCoy, Shonn Green). In hindsight, McCoy would be the obvious pick. They drafted Brown to cut Addai loose, but never could because Donald couldn't pass block. His pass blocking has greatly improved.

If Brown can stay healthy, I more then welcome him to be on the team......just in the right role. Definitely not as our primary back.

This community is bi-polar sometimes....

Before we signed him as a FA,  Darius Hayward-Bey sucked to most Colts fans here and most didn't want him.

Then we signed him and many now think he's great and being a Colt with Andrew Luck is going to make him even greater.

Donald Brown sucks because he's a disappointing first round pick.   But, if Brown had been picked in say, the 4th or 5th round,  no one would be calling for his head.    He's a victim of raised expectations that have not been met.    All in all, he's a decent complimentary back during an era when the NFL likes good RB tandems.   Ballard as the lead, Brown as the complimentary piece.

There's nothing wrong with the guy.   Brown is a decent back-up.

All this moaning about missing a whole.   nonsense.    What holes?   With our OL last year?   You're hallucinating.    Didn't happen.

Brown has one more year.    I hope it's a good one that earns him a contract to stay.   But if not,  then we're done with them after the upcoming season.     Williams will be a good specialty back.     That's a good three-some.

I like Williams alot as well plays similar to Darren Sproles. I think we should cut Donald Brown who hasn' t been good and injury prone and have Williams backup Ballard.

If we cut brown who do you think would be the other RB's on the roster?

I said very poor man's... lmao, they had similar upright running styles, but Dickerson was a gazelle once he got loose and Addai wasn't...

Before sustaining multiple nagging injuries, Addai was quite good (Even as a rookie, but not quite E.D. good though).  In our super bowl season, I remember him single handedly outscoring the Philadelphia Eagles.  171 yards and 4 TD's.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/650210378/Colts-Addai-scores-four-touchdowns-vs-Eagles.html?pg=all