Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Targets for Day 3

Warhawk

This should probably get a thread devoted to it.  Plus I wanted to start this to reiterate something I said in another thread.

We should trade up for Quinton Patton.

Of all the WRs in this draft, I think the guy has the best shot to be not just a pro bowler, but a hall of famer.  By a fairly wide margin.

OK, maybe hyperbole.  But everything I've seen this kid do screams a great NFL future.  He's the most technically proficient and flat-out natural WR I've seen come out in years.  He doesn't have the size of a Megatron, but he's got decent measurables.  Even so, his measurables aren't what impresses me, it's just every damn thing about his game.

I'm not going to say the J.R. word, but I really do think this guy has a great ceiling.

Anyway, back on topic.  Who do you really think we should target tomorrow?

Players we should consider

RB: Marcus Lattimore, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington

WR: Quinton Patton, Da'Rick Rogers, Chris Haper

OL: Barrett Jones, Brian Schwenke, Alvin Bailey

DL: Jesse Williams, Brandon Jenkins, Alex Okafor

OLB: Chase Thomas

CB: Jordan Poyer, Sander Commings

S: Philip Thomas, Shamarko Thomas, Duke Wlliams

This should probably get a thread devoted to it.  Plus I wanted to start this to reiterate something I said in another thread.

We should trade up for Quinton Patton.

Of all the WRs in this draft, I think the guy has the best shot to be not just a pro bowler, but a hall of famer.  By a fairly wide margin.

OK, maybe hyperbole.  But everything I've seen this kid do screams a great NFL future.  He's the most technically proficient and flat-out natural WR I've seen come out in years.  He doesn't have the size of a Megatron, but he's got decent measurables.  Even so, his measurables aren't what impresses me, it's just every darn thing about his game.

I'm not going to say the J.R. word, but I really do think this guy has a great ceiling.

Anyway, back on topic.  Who do you really think we should target tomorrow?

Yes please. I'm not sure I'd want to trade up for Patton, but I'd definitely take him. He's one of my favorite receiver prospects.

I like Lattimore as a nice option to stash and maybe get returns on in the future.  I think we can afford to do that because we still have Brown around, and our need at RB is a future-oriented need, not a pressing present-day need.

I also really like Chase Thomas and Brian Schwenke, FWIW.

Patton is still my #1 with a bullet here, but there are other guys I do like.

I totally forgot about Poyer. I would also like him.

Yes please. I'm not sure I'd want to trade up for Patton, but I'd definitely take him. He's one of my favorite receiver prospects.

Trading up in the third isn't a hugely expensive prospect.  Depending on how high you trade up you're talking swapping 4ths, plus either a 5th, 6th, OR 7th (depending on how high), and obviously future picks can be factored in.

Point being, though, I don't think he'll last to our pick.

Trading up in the third isn't a hugely expensive prospect.  Depending on how high you trade up you're talking swapping 4ths, plus either a 5th, 6th, OR 7th (depending on how high), and obviously future picks can be factored in.

Point being, though, I don't think he'll last to our pick.

I think there are players in every round who can make our roster, though. And Patton would be our fourth receiver, at best. I guess I'd take him for a swap in the fourth and surrender our 7th rounder, or something like that. No big deal.

And what really makes me hesitant is that I don't know what might happen in this draft. It's too weird already. He could last to the end of the fourth round, and I wouldn't be surprised.

I think there are players in every round who can make our roster, though. And Patton would be our fourth receiver, at best. I guess I'd take him for a swap in the fourth and surrender our 7th rounder, or something like that. No big deal.

And what really makes me hesitant is that I don't know what might happen in this draft. It's too weird already. He could last to the end of the fourth round, and I wouldn't be surprised.

Oh, yeah, I don't disagree that there are a number of solid options available, I was just saying I'm really high on this particular guy.

Poyer, Rambo, S. Thomas, P. Thomas, T. Simon, B. Jenkins

No thanks to Tharold Simon. He is an immature child.

Former LSU cornerback Tharold Simon was arrested Thursday night for allegedly intimidating a police officer in his hometown of Eunice, La., according to KATC.com. Eunice city officials planned to proclaim Friday as “Tharold Simon Day” during a ceremony and that will go on as planned according to Eunice Mayor Rusty Moody.

A projected mid-to-late round pick, Simon allegedly failed to move his car upon the request by a police officer and according to police records, he told the officer, “I own Eunice” and “I'm gonna buy these projects and you are gonna be mine.” Simon then proceeded to leave, spinning his wheels and turning up his radio. He was charged with public intimidation, resisting an officer and unnecessary noise violation.

According to the report, Simon also told the officer that “the mayor was on his side” and that he would be fired if he wrote the ticket. Simon was released on bond.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/22144115/2013-nfl-draft-lsu-cb-tharold-simon-arrested-on-draft-night

Former LSU cornerback Tharold Simon was arrested Thursday night for allegedly intimidating a police officer in his hometown of Eunice, La., according to KATC.com. Eunice city officials planned to proclaim Friday as “Tharold Simon Day” during a ceremony and that will go on as planned according to Eunice Mayor Rusty Moody.

A projected mid-to-late round pick, Simon allegedly failed to move his car upon the request by a police officer and according to police records, he told the officer, “I own Eunice” and “I'm gonna buy these projects and you are gonna be mine.” Simon then proceeded to leave, spinning his wheels and turning up his radio. He was charged with public intimidation, resisting an officer and unnecessary noise violation.

According to the report, Simon also told the officer that “the mayor was on his side” and that he would be fired if he wrote the ticket. Simon was released on bond.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/rob-rang/22144115/2013-nfl-draft-lsu-cb-tharold-simon-arrested-on-draft-night

Wow didnt know that. i liked his size.

By the time the draft ends I would like to have the following:

Safety: Duke Williams

MLB: Ty Powell or someone that can bring more athleticism than Conner and Angerer

Running Back: Ray Graham or preferably someone faster

Wide Receiver: Pick One in whatever round.

who id like to see us get in the 4th round would be one of these guys...

Barrett Jones (anywhere on the offensive line)

Brian Schwenke ©

Alex Okafor (DE)

Jordan Poyer ( CB )

Bacarri Rambo ( FS )

Shamarko Thomas ( SS ) 

and with our 7th rounders

Miguel Maysonet  (RB out of Stony Brook)  (prob have to get him in the 6th or with our first 7th rounder)

and 

Aaron Mellette ( WR out of Elon  with the other 7th rounder. )

ummm okay, is that his only offense as a college student?? he is a college kid who did something stupid. doesn't necessarily mean he is going to carry it over into the NFL....even so, NFL players get into trouble them selves for example Fred Davis, Josh Brent, Mike Vick, PLaxico Burress, Ray Lewis (even though he was not convicted). point is one mistake doesn't define someones character.

that being said, i still dont want him anyway 

I have 32 names for Day 3 targets,  all in the 4th and 5th rounds.   I expect the Colts to make a trade to acquire a 5th round pick.

Having used our first two picks on the pass rush and the OL,  I have the next picks targeting making the team more explosive either in scoring, or trying to prevent a score.    Certain positions I don't have anyone.  Even some with very good grades.  Taking them would, IMO,  be redundant at this point.  We can target certain positions, and I think we will.

My hunch is we'll take the best defensive back in R4 and the best RB or WR in R5.

So....

RB's       (10)                                       WR's     (9)

Ellington    4                                        Patton     4

Franklin     4                                        Rogers    4

Gilleslie     5                                        Swope     5

Lattimore   5                                       Boyce      5

Maysonet  5                                        Harper    5

Taylor       5                                         King        5

Randle      5                                        Mellette   5

Johnson   5                                         Hamilton 5

Barner      5

ILB     (1)                                             DE     (2)

N. Johnson   4                                     Gholston   5

Goodman  5

CB    (5)                                               S     (5)

BW Webb         4                                 P. Thomas  4                        

S.  Commings   4                                 B. Rambo   4

M. Anthony       5                                 D. Williams  4

M. Hyde            5                                 E. Wolff       4

B. McGee         5                                 S. Thomas  5

I have 32 names for Day 3 targets, all in the 4th and 5th rounds. I expect the Colts to make a trade to acquire a 5th round pick.

Having used our first two picks on the pass rush and the OL, I have the next picks targeting making the team more explosive either in scoring, or trying to prevent a score. Certain positions I don't have anyone. Even some with very good grades. Taking them would, IMO, be redundant at this point. We can target certain positions, and I think we will.

My hunch is we'll take the best defensive back in R4 and the best RB or WR in R5.

So....

RB's (10) WR's (9)

Ellington 4 Patton 4

Franklin 4 Rogers 4

Gilleslie 5 Swope 5

Lattimore 5 Boyce 5

Maysonet 5 Harper 5

Taylor 5 King 5

Randle 5 Mellette 5

Johnson 5 Hamilton 5

Barner 5

ILB (1) DE (2)

N. Johnson 4 Gholston 5

Goodman 5

CB (5) S (5)

BW Webb 4 P. Thomas 4

S. Commings 4 B. Rambo 4

M. Anthony 5 D. Williams 4

M. Hyde 5 E. Wolff 4

B. McGee 5 S. Thomas 5

Dont forget Poyer, Reddick, Williams, and Jenkins.

Dont forget Poyer, Reddick, Williams, and Jenkins.

Poyer is a zone corner...   I don't think he's a scheme fit...

Reddick would be lower on my list, and I've already got 10 RB's...

I don't know who Williams is...   I'll try to figure that one out...

And Jenkins would be another OLB.    And I think we'll pass on them in R's 4 and 5.

Hope that clarifies....