Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jerry Hughes

GoColtsGo5150

With the drafting of Bjoern Werner, and with players like mathis, sidbury and walden on the roster, could there be a chance that we will use a bargaining chip in the form of jerry hughes? If this is the case, what could we get for him?

I'd say no because even in limited time last year Hughes produced. He's still a very good special teams guy as well. I'd much rather keep him around for his versatility and depth than try and see how late of a pick we can get for him, which is at most what we'd probably get for him.

Walden and Sidbury are only guaranteed 1 year deals, Sidbury is only signed for a year and in Waldens contract (according to Spotrac) has language in the contract that says he can be cut after this year any time before the 5th league day of 2014 and we will only owe him the rest of his signing bonus (I believe) which would be 750,000.00$ instead of the rest of his contract which would be a cap hit of 4,250,000.00$ each year (If I am understanding Spotrac correctly, This was explained to me once but I forgot how it works exactly but I believe Im very close)

No because Werner IS Jerry Hughes...There are doubts that he can change poisition.Hughes is still young and we cant get anything for him becase he hasnt played well..

With the drafting of Bjoern Werner, and with players like mathis, sidbury and walden on the roster, could there be a chance that we will use a bargaining chip in the form of jerry hughes? If this is the case, what could we get for him?

If anything I feel this pick of Werner will allow us to trade Mathis next offseason and keep Hughes on the cheap. Hughes I believe is still getting better and this system suits him. Mathis is getting a little older, and is proven so we can get more in a trade for Mathis over Hughes. I feel we would still have a good pass rush without Mathis provided Werner proves his worth as does Hughes continues to improve.

Walden and Sidbury are only guaranteed 1 year deals, Sidbury is only signed for a year and in Waldens contract (according to Spotrac) has language in the contract that says he can be cut after this year any time before the 5th league day of 2014 and we will only owe him the rest of his signing bonus (I believe) which would be 750,000.00$ instead of the rest of his contract which would be a cap hit of 4,250,000.00$ each year (If I am understanding Spotrac correctly, This was explained to me once but I forgot how it works exactly but I believe Im very close)

That's works out perfectly then.

If anything I feel this pick of Werner will allow us to trade Mathis next offseason and keep Hughes on the cheap. Hughes I believe is still getting better and this system suits him. Mathis is getting a little older, and is proven so we can get more in a trade for Mathis over Hughes. I feel we would still have a good pass rush without Mathis provided Werner proves his worth as does Hughes continues to improve.

Negative.  That is not happening.

Basically his entire 2nd year salary becomes guaranteed on the 5th league day of 2014.  However after this season and before that 5th league day of 2014, he can be cut for just the remainder of his signing bonus as dead money which would be $750,000.

So we're stuck with Walden this year, but his position with the team is far from guaranteed after this season.   

If we trade Mathis don't we still have to pay off his guaranteed money?  If so, next year it would give us a small amount of cap space, but it's still $7,500,000 in dead money to do so.  I think we are probably best off holding onto Mathis next year as well.  

A pair of base balls