Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This has got to be the worst article I have ever seen..

T Y Goodbye

A guy named Jay Busbee  @ yahoo sports, created a list of the 32 biggest draft busts by draft position in a slideshow. A lot of his picks are ridiculous..You have to check this out...I'm still in disbelief with some of the names on this list...see if you agree...

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/nfl-draft-biggest-first-round-busts-1366830193-slideshow/

I flipped when I saw Bo Jackson, but it does say for Tampa Bay.  They never signed him, so who was the bust?  Tampa Bay's GM?

I still had fun looking through some names I had forgotten...Mike Junkin?

I agree with Jay....Bo Jackson is the best athlete I have ever seen play......big-thumbs-up.gif

Regarding Bo Jackson, it comes down to what do you consider a bust . . . Bottom line Tampa Bay drafted him first overall in 1986 and got zero production and value out of him . . . its not like a Eli or Elway where the team losing the player got something in return . . . Jackson did not sign a contract with Tampa Bay and the team lost the rights to him and so that #1 overall picked yeilded zero . . . in that vien is likely why the author placed him first overall . . .

A guy named Jay Busbee  @ yahoo sports, created a list of the 32 biggest draft busts by draft position in a slideshow. A lot of his picks are ridiculous..You have to check this out...I'm still in disbelief with some of the names on this list...see if you agree...

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/nfl-draft-biggest-first-round-busts-1366830193-slideshow/

I just took another look at the artlcle and was running some of the picks through my brain and am pretty sure it is not a list of the top 32 worst picks . . . but the worst picks where they were picked in the first round . . . that is - who is the worst #1 pick (Jackson), Who is the worst #2 pick in the first round (Leaf), who is the worst #3 pick in the first round and so on . . . 

So that should qualify the list . . . is not a list of the worst oveall picks in all of the rounds, but worsts picks for each slot 1-32 in the first round and listing them in the order they were selected in the first round . . .

What?!! Sebastian Janikowski & Anthony Gonzalez are not a bust. This journalist is smoking something illegal. Bust to me means either no talent, overhyped, or a failure to adjust to the next level as a professional athlete usually due to a lack of commitment or letting your team mates down deliberately. These 2 men do not fit into that disappointing category in my estimation. They both produced on the field in crucial moments.

What?!! Sebastian Janikowski & Anthony Gonzalez are not a bust. This journalist is smoking something illegal. Bust to me means either no talent, overhyped, or a failure to adjust to the next level as a professional athlete usually due to a lack of commitment or letting your team mates down deliberately. These 2 men do not fit into that disappointing category in my estimation. They both produced on the field in crucial moments.

I subscribe to the school of NFL thought that a bust is anyone who falls notably short of expectations.  A highly touted prospect who becomes a top 5 selection and is then only a mediocre-at-best starter is a bust (e.g., Jason Smith).  Gonzalez is clearly a bust by that standard although there's considerable reason to be more generous towards him as a player and as a human being than the likes of Leaf or Russell.  Janikowski is... complicated.  He's not a bust in any sort of traditional sense because he is a good kicker but it is an all-time head-scratcher move because there's really no standard for a first round kicker to hold him up to.

For that kind of investment you would hope for him to be near-flawless, which he is not.

Exactly.  Say what you will about taking a kicker, he's been one of Oaklands few weapons for the last decade+.  Who wouldn't make that pick if it would guarantee an elite starter for more than a decade, regardless of position.

Exactly.  Say what you will about taking a kicker, he's been one of Oaklands few weapons for the last decade+.  Who wouldn't make that pick if it would guarantee an elite starter for more than a decade, regardless of position.

Janikowski hasn't been elite for more than a decade.  He's actually been incredibly inconsistent for much of his career.  He's had a great last two or three seasons, though.

Janikowski hasn't been elite for more than a decade.  He's actually been incredibly inconsistent for much of his career.  He's had a great last two or three seasons, though.

He plays on a bizarre baseball field in Oakland and has one of the stronger legs in the history of the league.  I think he was a better pick then Phillip Buchanen, who the Raiders took at 17 two years later.  

Regardless, he's been a fixture on that team for more then a decade.  That makes it impossible to consider him a bust IMHO.

He plays on a bizarre baseball field in Oakland and has one of the stronger legs in the history of the league.  I think he was a better pick then Phillip Buchanen, who the Raiders took at 17 two years later.  

Regardless, he's been a fixture on that team for more then a decade.  That makes it impossible to consider him a bust IMHO.

He's better than a lot of picks the Raiders made when Al Davis was nearing the end of the line.  That's setting a really low bar haha

I wouldn't call him a bust, personally, but I also wouldn't consider it a good pick in the slightest per my reasoning above and I've always kind of liked SeaBass as a character.  Not too many huge, bar-fighting Polaks with huge legs in the NFL.

He's better than a lot of picks the Raiders made when Al Davis was nearing the end of the line.  That's setting a really low bar haha

I wouldn't call him a bust, personally, but I also wouldn't consider it a good pick in the slightest per my reasoning above and I've always kind of liked SeaBass as a character.  Not too many huge, bar-fighting Polaks with huge legs in the NFL.

lol  Certainly not enough of them.  Agree to disagree, but I think he was a great pick in hindsight.

In the context of the article, they're trying to say he's the worst #17 overall ever.  My point is he's not even the worst #17 by the Raiders ever.  I guess the "writer" (does it count when it's a slideshow?) wanted to be splashy.

If Janikowski is a bust so is Ray Guy.

Janikowski is not to kickers what Ray Guy is to punters.  He's good but he's not the kind of player who will remain THE golden standard for his position in the NFL 30 years after retirement.

Gonzo started out pretty solid ... there has to be a pick worse in his slot.

I just took another look at the artlcle and was running some of the picks through my brain and am pretty sure it is not a list of the top 32 worst picks . . . but the worst picks where they were picked in the first round . . . that is - who is the worst #1 pick (Jackson), Who is the worst #2 pick in the first round (Leaf), who is the worst #3 pick in the first round and so on . . . 

So that should qualify the list . . . is not a list of the worst oveall picks in all of the rounds, but worsts picks for each slot 1-32 in the first round and listing them in the order they were selected in the first round . . .

I'm sure that you are correct. I was wondering when I read it why it said (at #4) that "Art Schlicter should own this spot but...." I was expecting him to then appear at #3, 2, or 1 while wondering what the heck the author was talking about. Now I know.

-----

To the topic, I really don't like articles like this because they tend to focus on people whom you've heard of who didn't quite live up to what some people might have thought they should. It's ridiculous to spot-light them as "busts" when the fact is that there have probably been more than 1,000 people drafted in the first round alone, and every year some of them just fade away without accomplishing anything. We don't remember them enough to even talk about them unless they happen to have been picked by our team. The Jets alone have probably had five first round picks in the last ten years alone whom are bigger "busts" than anyone on this list. Who are they? I don't remember and I don't care, ask a Jets fan. More to the point, these articles always suggest that the players failed in some fashion, when in fact they simply didn't mature as some "experts" hoped. You could say that the "experts" were miss-guided and that the GM's failed, but a player who didn't make it is simply a player who didn't make it. There are thousands upon thousands of them - and EVERY blessed one of them is far more successful athletically than the tens of thousands of players who weren't signed in the first place, and every single college player who wasn't signed is still far more successful athletically than the millions who couldn't make their college team in the first place. Comparing who is more successful is fun. Trying to define failure as the absence of meeting some nincompoops expectations and then ranking who met those expectations the least is foolish at best. It really just comes down to them having been drafted in the wrong round (or having injury problems).

On the other hand I'd love to see a ranking of GM's based on the validity of their selections. They are the one's playing the drafting game, so they are the one who can be defined as winning or losing.

I subscribe to the school of NFL thought that a bust is anyone who falls notably short of expectations.  A highly touted prospect who becomes a top 5 selection and is then only a mediocre-at-best starter is a bust (e.g., Jason Smith).  Gonzalez is clearly a bust by that standard although there's considerable reason to be more generous towards him as a player and as a human being than the likes of Leaf or Russell.  Janikowski is... complicated.  He's not a bust in any sort of traditional sense because he is a good kicker but it is an all-time head-scratcher move because there's really no standard for a first round kicker to hold him up to.

For that kind of investment you would hope for him to be near-flawless, which he is not.

Would you call Safety Bob Sanders a bust due to his lingering health issues if he had not won a SB in INDY in 2006? Gonzalez clearly had talent, but he was always injury prone & never on the field. Talent is 1 thing; injury is quite another. As far as high draft picks are concerned, in my mind, I only hold #1 draft picks to a glory or bust standard in the NFL. But, I do respect your position though RGIII. 

I did mention that in my original post...please note the bold red part in my quote.

Are there degrees of busts? Scrapping the bottom of the barrel busts: Jamarcus Russel & Ryan Leaf. Are there average busts? To me, I adopt a scorched earth mentality to the word bust...What do the rest of you think?

Does it make a difference if TE, WR, LB, or DE is on a horrible team & fails to fulfill expectations? Meaning: Winning a SB ring. The NFL is a collective team sport, but HOF eligibility is built on individual stats.

I Agree with ya Brother Sebastions one of the best kickers Ive ever seen

Would you call Safety Bob Sanders a bust due to his lingering health issues if he had not won a SB in INDY in 2006? Gonzalez clearly had talent, but he was always injury prone & never on the field. Talent is 1 thing; injury is quite another. As far as high draft picks are concerned, in my mind, I only hold #1 draft picks to a glory or bust standard in the NFL. But, I do respect your position though RGIII. 

Not at all,when healthy he was a :rawr:

I'd say that Sanders' level of play greatly exceeded what his draft position would dictate, so he wasn't a bust in spite of his extremely short shelf life.  He was still easily one of the top 3 DBs of that draft class in terms of talent and production.  The same thing applies to a certain other top DB in that class who had an unfortunately short career.  If your team's fanbase would go back in time and STILL want to draft that same guy knowing how short his career was going to be, there's no way he's a bust.

Predicting the long-term health of players is harder than predicting their ability at a professional level by an order of several magnitudes, so I never really hold injuries against teams or players.  It's a violent sport and there's really only so much you can know about what will happen or how a guy will handle it.

Are there degrees of busts? Scrapping the bottom of the barrel busts: Jamarcus Russel & Ryan Leaf. Are there average busts? To me, I adopt a scorched earth mentality to the word bust...What do the rest of you think?

Does it make a difference if TE, WR, LB, or DE is on a horrible team & fails to fulfill expectations? Meaning: Winning a SB ring. The NFL is a collective team sport, but HOF eligibility is built on individual stats.

Definitely, some busts are worse than others.  It's contingent on a whole bunch of factors (draft position, state of the team, pure hype, value of any involved trade, etc.).

If you even acknowledge that there are bottom of the barrel busts then you probably do as well to some extent. :P