Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New players uniform numbers [Merge]

ar1888

So, if 18, 88, 19, 82, or 20 yrs from now, 12 is given to another player, that's cool with you? Thank God for Jim Irsay and tradition.

I would have no problem with any of that actually.

Retiring numbers should be temporary IMO. Like a 5 year retirement or something to that effect.

Your going to run out of numbers eventually, but then if someone has a famous players number it should be an honor or privledge. Like signifying a defensive or offensive leader.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't retire every single number just because a good player wore it. How many great players have played for the Colts?

Peyton Manning

Marvin Harrison

Edgerrin James

Jeff Saturday

Dallas Clark

Reggie Wayne

Dwight Freeney

Robert Mathis

And Anyone I missed that's not in my era of football (I'm only 18 so I'm sure I missed a few)

That's too many numbers to be retiring

Aaron moorehead how dare they let garçon take his number

I would have no problem with any of that actually.

Retiring numbers should be temporary IMO. Like a 5 year retirement or something to that effect.

Your going to run out of numbers eventually, but then if someone has a famous players number it should be an honor or privledge. Like signifying a defensive or offensive leader.

I am good with that. My favorite number is 24, and I have worn it playing all sports when I was younger. It sucks that I will never see a Colt in a #24 uniform.

So, if 18, 88, 19, 82, or 20 yrs from now, 12 is given to another player, that's cool with you? Thank God for Jim Irsay and tradition.

Are we really ALREADY insisting that Luck's number must be retired?  There are at least a hundred things that could happen that would make that unnecessary.  Let's let the guy play a few years before we retire his number and start creating his bust for the HOF.

:slaphead:

Are we really ALREADY insisting that Luck's number must be retired?  There are at least a hundred things that could happen that would make that unnecessary.  Let's let the guy play a few years before we retire his number and start creating his bust for the HOF.

:slaphead:

He sounded like a "newby", so I through Luck in there.... haha

Tarik Glen? Maybe saying he was our pro bowl linemen for the offense as was freeney to the defense? Just spit balling ;)

Maybe Tarik should have never worn it. Bubba Smith wore that number and was a pro bowler. John Mackey was voted the best TE in the first 50 years of NFL football yet Marvin Harrison wore his #88. Maybe we should unretire all the retired jersey numbers.

Yeah, lets not forget that a lot of guys in the last 15 years are using iconic numbers from the past, just like guys in the future will do to guys we have watched over the last 15 years.  John Mackey #88 has been brought up, but one could argue he was the greatest TE of all time.  Mike Curtis #32 was a very, very good linebacker for a long time.  Bubba Smith #78 was good for a very short time before injuries derailed his career.  But when he was healthy he was a terror.

Bill Troup #12 was a great Colts QB. (OK, that one was just for fun.  He was a good backup to Bert Jones) lol

I thought Harnish got to keep his number with the half court shot he made. Lol.

nope...  the deal was if he makes the shot, he gets to give it to Hasselbeck.  doesn't make a lot of sense, but that was the deal lol

There was an article this past week,  think on ESPN,  not many numbers available without shifting a bunch of players around.  93 in the area he is playing.   Hard to retire numbers when you have a 53 man roster plus,  lot of players with limited number of numbers.  More interested in how he plays than what number is on his back.  Hasselback traded with Harnish to get his number with a donation to charity,  seem like a couple of classy guys.