Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's a different defense..........

deano

Many folks on here, it appears are clamoring for the old days where the only stat that mattered is sacks.

This defense is geared to first stopping the run

This defense is geared to first stopping the run

Repeat it, if you are unsure of the new team philosophy

We had many years of great personal stats for sacks (Freeney and Mathis )

But our defense was pushed up and down the field.

It was a defense that only shined when we had a lead (Having Peyton made a huge difference)

We need a defense that can win games for us.

The old adage is defense wins championships.

We had probably the best QB ever in Peyton, but in all his years here, we won only one championship, which is a crying shame........... Biggest problem? Poor defense!

It's a new mindset.

It's a new approach.

It's evident with all the negative posts on Walden.

Walden brought in first and foremost as a run stopper "EDGE-SETTER" per Grigson from the OLB

position.

Walden may come off the field on long downs where we will have a pass rusher come in.

Grigson has been quoted many times as needing to stop the run as the FIRST priority

This defense is different.

It is geared to getting rid of the constant 3rd and 1 yard plays that this defense has seen the past 15 years

It's geared to stopping the run for a loss or minimal gain

It's a different approach than what we are used to...... But.... We will be better!

Can't wait! I hated our philosophy during true manning the eras. Put to much pressure on manning and the offense. If we didn't at by lead we could be exposed. Or we would have to win games in shoot outs. All great during the regular season. But always lost in the playoffs. And it seemed like we always needed the #1 seed

Been battling the Walden and Hughes haters way to much....:)

I for one feel that the days of the "Cover Nobody," "Bend but don't Win, " and  Prevent a Victory are shall we say in 'good riddance' mode?  Larry Coyer still makes me physically ill whether it was his fault, Polian or the Ghost of Cover 2 Past  lmao

Deano, lets go to the draft, get someone weapons for Pagano to utilize....getting square pegs in the squares and circular pegs as well in their full and upright position.  This team has some serious motors on it.  Let the coaches teach and coach.....lets seeif these boys can hunt.  I for one love the off-season to this point, and after the draft am ready to go to battle with our Indianapolis Colts!!!   :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

OP: "The old adage is defense wins championships."

You're right, it is an old adage. Defenses no longer win championships. Defenses hope to survive. Offenses win championships.

We don't need a great D, we need an average D. Heck, we won 11 games with one of the worst Ds in the league.

Totally agree we need a D that gets off the field a lot faster. And I know this is going to be misinterpreted, but if that D gets off the field fast stopping the O or giving up a quick strike for FG position, it's almost the same thing.

The more series the O has, the better chance to win.

I completely agree with what you're saying. There are quite a few posters that don't seem to understand that the old defense is gone, and the type of players we'll be looking for is going to be different. The undersized guys are not going to be targets for this defense IMO. I would start throwing out names that I think people ought to just forget about, but it would start an uproar because some just don't want to admit those kind of players are off the table IMO.

Forced fumbles & Sacks can be game changers.
 Because he was a 3 down lineman and length of career, I would believe the "Freeney Hole" has given up more rushing yards then Any other player in NFL history. 
 It was a blast watching Dwight blast a guy with his bull rush, do a spin, get that arm for a fumble, lay the hammer with a sack.
Just harass a QB many times most games.

But I got tired a LONG time ago watching him constantly being pushed 8-10 yards downfield totally out of the play, with 5+ yard runs over and over and over thru his undefended hole.

Teams have ALWAYS ran a lot on 1st down, where was Waldo when we needed him? 

And when our D gave up 21 points or less in the playoffs which they did 12 times as I read, we were 6-6. A record Several games Worse than Any one of the Top Teams with Elite QB`s. We lost because we didn`t score over 21 points. Yip, 3 TD`s & 7Int.`s on our way to the SB Win.

I look forward to being hard to run on. It would be a Big jump if our D is top 20 this year. Top 15 sounds really good today.
Andrew & cohorts will put up 22 points or more Most Sundays. :thmup:

OP: "The old adage is defense wins championships."

You're right, it is an old adage. Defenses no longer win championships. Defenses hope to survive. Offenses win championships.

We don't need a great D, we need an average D. Heck, we won 11 games with one of the worst Ds in the league.

Totally agree we need a D that gets off the field a lot faster. And I know this is going to be misinterpreted, but if that D gets off the field fast stopping the O or giving up a quick strike for FG position, it's almost the same thing.

The more series the O has, the better chance to win.

We may agree to disagree

If you look at the teams that were in the Super Bowl, both had defenses that were near the top.

If you look back over the last 10 years, the teams that win in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl almost always have had a very good to great defense.

The old adage still applies.

I would concede that offense is more of a factor than it was, but the great defense, tied to an average offense will always be a

contender.

Some of that is the ability to winning Dec/January games in the weather....... Where the high octane offenses typically sputter.

We may agree to disagree

If you look at the teams that were in the Super Bowl, both had defenses that were near the top.

If you look back over the last 10 years, the teams that win in the playoffs and win the Super Bowl almost always have had a very good to great defense.

The old adage still applies.

I would concede that offense is more of a factor than it was, but the great defense, tied to an average offense will always be a

contender.

Some of that is the ability to winning Dec/January games in the weather....... Where the high octane offenses typically sputter.

Fans have started to buy the media hype of the NFL being an offensive league and to some extent it is true, but when the playoffs role around it it almost always the teams with good to great defense's that win. The Pats are a prime example of this, they used to be unstoppable in the playoffs practically because they played with a formidable defense. Every since they went soft and started trying to win with all offense, they haven't won crap come playoff time.

I would also add that regardless of our personal beliefs on the defense wins championships statement

It's clear that Grigs believes it, and will staff his team accordingly.

It's sort of like being mad at a zebra because of its stripes...........

I would also add that regardless of our personal beliefs on the defense wins championships statement

It's clear that Grigs believes it, and will staff his team accordingly.

It's sort of like being mad at a zebra because of its stripes...........

I have been upset with a few zebras in my day.....

zebra-ref_med.png

dre2434l.jpg

I agree with this thread somewhat.  I think its going to be awesome to have a great defense.  the old saying is also old.  I cant give an exact number but I believe plenty of teams that had average defenses meaning nothing flashy or to speak about have won championships.  I've always heard its good to have a good running game to win.  how many teams have won a championship or gone to one with the worst running game in the league.  plenty that I can think of here lately.  football is a gamethats constantly changing.  what works today might not work tomorrow.  having a top defense is one of those casualties.  it used to work but is not nessicary anymore.

I  don't agree even though we were bad against the run,we were really great against the pass. Sanders,Bethea,Hayden,Jackson were as good of a secondary you were gonna find with Freeney and Mathis coming off the edge. The problem was we never had any DT's or Lb's  that were good. Instead of drafting Gonzalez,Addai,and Brown Polian should have drafted defense we probably would have won 2 more superbowls.

I agree with this thread somewhat.  I think its going to be awesome to have a great defense.  the old saying is also old.  I cant give an exact number but I believe plenty of teams that had average defenses meaning nothing flashy or to speak about have won championships.  I've always heard its good to have a good running game to win.  how many teams have won a championship or gone to one with the worst running game in the league.  plenty that I can think of here lately.  football is a gamethats constantly changing.  what works today might not work tomorrow.  having a top defense is one of those casualties.  it used to work but is not nessicary anymore.

Going back to 2000, there is only one team that won the Super Bowl that didn't have a really good defense and that was the Colts. Just so happens that was the yr. that the Colts actually decided to play great defense through the playoffs and it's the only reason why we won the super bowl.

2012 Ravens - Great defense

2011 Giants - very good defense

2010 Packers - good defense that yr.. not so good since and they haven't sniffed the super bowl even though they are great on offense.

2009 Saints - pretty good defense that yr..

2008 Steelers - great defense

2007 Giants - very good defense

2006 Colts - already talked about

2005 Steelers - Great defense

2004 Pats - back when they still had a very good defense

2003 - Pats - see above

2002 - Tampa - Great defense

2001 - Pats - see above again

2000 - Ravens - great defense

Sorry, but defense still absolutely wins in the playoffs and plays a huge part in winning the super bowl.

Our Defense did win us a few games last year. Like the KC game. Sure they ran all over us, but we held them to few points. Cause really they should've had about 20+ or more when you rush for 300+

But the defense will only get better. I knew this was a new defense when Mathis caught a pick. I thought for sure the world was really gonna end after that Detroit game. Didn't know old Robert had it in him :lol:

Going back to 2000, there is only one team that won the Super Bowl that didn't have a really good defense and that was the Colts. Just so happens that was the yr. that the Colts actually decided to play great defense through the playoffs and it's the only reason why we won the super bowl.

2010 Packers - good defense that yr.. not so good since and they haven't sniffed the super bowl even though they are great on offense.

2003 - Pats - see above

Sorry, but defense still absolutely wins in the playoffs and plays a huge part in winning the super bowl.

Thanks for researching this........

The best example is the Colts

Unbelievable Amazing offense

Poor defense

14 years......... one Super Bowl win........

The 4-3 is a attacking defense great against the pass, the 3-4 is read and react defense great against the run.

That 4-3 CAN be great if in press coverage (As you say an attacking 4-3)  A soft 4-3 with LBs and DBs back is as bad as it gets (see 2011)

3-4 is gap management in it's utmost form and is soooo fun to disguise. Lax 3-4 can suck too...any defense can..:)

2003 - Pats - see above

I see many well balanced teams....and that's what really wins championships

I don't agree even though we were bad against the run,we were really great against the pass. Sanders,Bethea,Hayden,Jackson were as good of a secondary you were gonna find with Freeney and Mathis coming off the edge. The problem was we never had any DT's or Lb's that were good. Instead of drafting Gonzalez,Addai,and Brown Polian should have drafted defense we probably would have won 2 more superbowls.

In my humble opinion...... The pass defense wasn't all that great those years..

Other teams just ran the ball...... Again and again and again....... I am sure I am not the only person that saw all those games

Why bother passing against our defense at the time? It was more efficient to get 4-5 yards a pop on the ground, and you kept the ball away from Peyton. It also ate up the clock.

That was the gameplay to beat the Colts........

So...... Any one sided stats from those years didn't tell the whole story......

I see many well balanced teams....and that's what really wins championships

Thats true, but I was trying to dispel the myth that defense don't win championships anymore. Without a defense that is at least a top half defense, your team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs. It's even better if you have a top 10 defense obviously, but some people think that having a top offense and weak defense can still win in the playoffs and unless you get extremely lucky, that just won't happen and the history shows it.

Thats true, but I was trying to dispel the myth that defense don't win championships anymore. Without a defense that is at least a top half defense, your team isn't going anywhere in the playoffs. It's even better if you have a top 10 defense obviously, but some people think that having a top offense and weak defense can still win in the playoffs and unless you get extremely lucky, that just won't happen and the history shows it.

I won't dispute that you need a good D, but I will dispute that the Ravens D was great last season. They were good enough, but their O won it for them.

Great thread.  I'm fired up now.  I believe we will be very balanced and that in itself is exciting.

We won the Super Bowl only because we decided to do 2 things we had not been doing.  1.  stop the run and 2. use free agency.

We brought Morris back for the playoffs because he was a better run stopper than Brackett and we indulged in free agency to get a real DT (McFarland) who could stop the run.  That year we ran the ball well and stopped the run well.  If Polian had indulged in FA a few more years to make sure we had better DT's, I think we win another SB.

In my humble opinion...... The pass defense wasn't all that great those years..

Other teams just ran the ball...... Again and again and again....... I am sure I am not the only person that saw all those games

Why bother passing against our defense at the time? It was more efficient to get 4-5 yards a pop on the ground, and you kept the ball away from Peyton. It also ate up the clock.

That was the gameplay to beat the Colts........

So...... Any one sided stats from those years didn't tell the whole story......

Here are our pass defensive rankings from 2002 - 2011 when we ran the 4-3. Teams tried to pass on us but didn't have much time because of Freeney and Mathis. For the most part we were up in games and team had to pass to catch up. Yeah our run defense was bad but it wasn't because team wanted to run this is a passing league,it was because they feared Freeney and Mathis coming off the edge and we had a really good secondary.

2002 - 2nd ranked 182yds/gm

2003 - 5th ranked  176yds/gm

2004 - 28th ranked 243yds/gm

2005 - 15th ranked 197yds/gm

2006 - 2nd ranked 159yds/gm

2007 - 2nd ranked 173yds/gm

2008 - 6th ranked 188yds/gm

2009 - 14th ranked 213yds/gm

2010 - 13th ranked 215yds/gm

2011 - 15th ranked 227yds/gm

Teams tried to pass on us but didn't have much time because of Freeney and Mathis so they ran. For the most part we were up in games and teams had to pass to catch back up.

Been battling the Walden and Hughes haters way to much.... :)

I for one feel that the days of the "Cover Nobody," "Bend but don't Win, " and  Prevent a Victory are shall we say in 'good riddance' mode?  Larry Coyer still makes me physically ill whether it was his fault, Polian or the Ghost of Cover 2 Past  lmao

Deano, lets go to the draft, get someone weapons for Pagano to utilize....getting square pegs in the squares and circular pegs as well in their full and upright position.  This team has some serious motors on it.  Let the coaches teach and coach.....lets seeif these boys can hunt.  I for one love the off-season to this point, and after the draft am ready to go to battle with our Indianapolis Colts!!!   :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:

i know a great way to fix the walden/hughes haters (although i really dont like the walden signing for him to be a starter) but here it is draft day  " with the 24th overall pick, the Indianapolis Colts select Arthur Brown, Linebacker from Kansas State University " . 

I won't dispute that you need a good D, but I will dispute that the Ravens D was great last season. They were good enough, but their O won it for them.

actually i would say they were a pretty avg team last year. ranked 17th in total defense and ranked 16th in total offense. 

post season they were 7th in total offense (san fran had the best post season offense) and 8th in total defense in the post season.

Baltimore was just a balanced out team, who's offense stepped up just alittle more in the superbowl and got help from San Fran. in their poor play in the first half. but in the end baltimore's defense is what helped them. 

but i wont disagree with you, their offense in the playoffs was a big reason or should i say Flacco to Boldin was a big reason they won it all. 

Here are our pass defensive rankings from 2002 - 2011 when we ran the 4-3. Teams tried to pass on us but didn't have much time because of Freeney and Mathis. For the most part we were up in games and team had to pass to catch up. Yeah our run defense was bad but it wasn't because team wanted to run this is a passing league,it was because they feared Freeney and Mathis coming off the edge and we had a really good secondary.

2002 - 2nd ranked 182yds/gm

2003 - 5th ranked  176yds/gm

2004 - 28th ranked 243yds/gm

2005 - 15th ranked 197yds/gm

2006 - 2nd ranked 159yds/gm

2007 - 2nd ranked 173yds/gm

2008 - 6th ranked 188yds/gm

2009 - 14th ranked 213yds/gm

2010 - 13th ranked 215yds/gm

2011 - 15th ranked 227yds/gm

Teams tried to pass on us but didn't have much time because of Freeney and Mathis so they ran. For the most part we were up in games and teams had to pass to catch back up.

You do realize you are making my point, right?

Freeney and Mathis had great seasons.

These rankings are in yards

Imagine if a team of people like me suited up for the game (I'm old, fat, and slow) to play defense

If the offense against my team defense (again, old fat guys ) decided to run the ball on almost every play against me

The pass rankings would look very good.

Go back and look where the Colts ranked against the run those years.... It was almost always near or at the bottom.

The comment about having a very good secondary is very debateable

Sanders was awesome for 2-3 years, Bethea has been very good, but lets be honest, outside of Bethea...... We have not been good for most of the time during the Peyton era in the defensive backfield.

Either way, I respect your opinion, but like the new approach this team is taking

How many times, year after year, regarding the running game, did we hear Dungy tell us, "we can fix this".
 For YEARS Our run D was PAINFULL to watch. :(

Our SB win was Hugely helped by Booger being a Complete DT.
Solid against the run and some steady Sapp like penetration up the middle.

That up the middle penetration turned all *&!! loose.

Re; Arthur Brown.
NFL.com shows him 6' 241
The streamer on the NFL channel shows 6'3/8 228. Betting this is it. That is a bigger Safety IMO.

As a Rook, I could see Connor in on 1st down mostly. And when he is ready, anytime its something and long, put this kid in cause his play in open space looks like a MONSTER. He looks like he will be able to support VG short, medium and long.

One of at least 5 I would really like to have. haha  :colts:

And when our D gave up 21 points or less in the playoffs which they did 12 times as I read, we were 6-6. A record Several games Worse than Any one of the Top Teams with Elite QB`s. We lost because we didn`t score over 21 points. Yip, 3 TD`s & 7Int.`s on our way to the SB Win.

The points stat is misleading, arguably irrelevant.  They were generally low possession games where we couldn't get the opposition off the field and couldn't get the ball back.  I would have to find the articles, but I've read a few things showing that the Colts had, on average, significantly fewer offensive playoff possessions during that period than the average team.   All it means is you finish with a fraction of the possessions and lose 21-17 instead of 35-28.  It certainly doesn't mean the defense performed well.  In fact, the opposition's game plan worked to perfection:  keep Manning on the sideline and keep the offense cold.  So, to the OP's point, hopefully we can avoid that in the future.      

Fans have started to buy the media hype of the NFL being an offensive league and to some extent it is true, but when the playoffs role around it it almost always the teams with good to great defense's that win. The Pats are a prime example of this, they used to be unstoppable in the playoffs practically because they played with a formidable defense. Every since they went soft and started trying to win with all offense, they haven't won crap come playoff time.

If you put a helmet on the offensive player...or should I politically correct//ly say 'pads.' the defense will once again be feared and relevant.  There were some times I saw Patrick Willis hit some folks last year that the boys did not want to be around him anymore.  That is what defense should do....put the fear of "Tebow " in em....:)

One thing Pagano took a little heat for last year was the intensity of the hitting in practices.  I commend any efforts to know if my guys can HIT and Wrap...good solid tackling....OK...I am ready :pass:  :pass:  :pass:

Didn`t we win one playoff game where we were on the field I think for less than 20 minutes? Might have been regular season.
Pretty wild anyway.

One could argue that Peytons ego made him throw too much, not utilizing the running game to wear down the defense and not giving our D the needed rest.

Didn`t we win one playoff game where we were on the field I think for less than 20 minutes? Might have been regular season.

Pretty wild anyway.

One could argue that Peytons ego made him throw too much, not utilizing the running game to wear down the defense and not giving our D the needed rest.

San Diego loss we were not on the field much...INTs and great punting by Scifres....I still get ill on that game...I was in San Diego's Airport.

It is a different defense and I am sure the Colts are going to be able to hang their hats on more things than just getting after the QB unlike most of the Freeney/Mathis era but the name of the game in the modern NFL is being able to get after the QB.  That's why DEs and pass rushing linebackers are rapidly becoming the highest paid position on the defensive side of the ball.  When you play the elite QBs in the NFL today like Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Flacco, or Eli, which you are going to have to at some point to win a Super Bowl, you beat them by getting to them because thanks to the new passing rules they will just pick a defense apart if you don't put pressure on them. 

I agree we are going to a more rounded defense than in the past and that's a good thing but pass rushing is still extremely important in today's NFL. 

Stats are not everything. 6 TDs and 2 INTs gave us a SB loss vs the Saints. Which would you rather take? Big Ben wears his 1st SB ring despite the worst QBR in a SB, it is a SB ring regardless.

What winning teams do in playoffs is not win games by scoring 22+ every single time. They win enough games 21-17, 20-17, 15-6 (something we did :)) etc. on the way.

Those kind of wins are normally dictated by field position, which you either generate using turnovers caused by D or ST and controlling tempo using the running game. We were severely deficient on all those fronts till our only SB run where the D and running game took off. Even in our 15-6 game, we controlled tempo and TOP with our running game even if we did not score a TD. I dont care who it is. Ask an elite QB to start at the 5 vs the 35, he will definitely score less points because he has to get that many more first downs to get in FG range. Against the better Ds you see in the playoffs, field position matters a lot.

So, the lesson learnt is that we should not expect Andrew Luck to score 22 pts every single time in the playoffs. That is a recipe for disaster. Eli's 2 SB runs, the Giants never gave up more than 20 points in any single game, how good is that?

Lets build a TEAM and rely less on the QB. A QB like Big Ben got 7 from the D in his 27-23 SB win vs the Cardinals. He had to make a game winning drive and he did. But if the Steelers relied on him to carry him for more than the 20 pts he gave them on O, they may have been in trouble, IMO. Same thing with Aaron Rodgers, 3 turnovers led to 21 points for the Packers vs the Steelers with short field position out of their 31 vs the Steelers in the SB.

No two ways about it, timely defense has to generate field position and some scoring to help out the QB in big games.

Oh, to add to the above (since I could not edit the post above) suggesting 21 points as some benchmark, the number of games won by Pats and Brady scoring 21 points or less:

1. Patriots won 16-13 vs Raiders in 2001 divisional playoffs (tuck rule game)
  2. 20-17 vs Rams in SB in NO dome
  3. 17-14 vs Titans in Foxboro in 2003 playoffs
  4. 20-3 vs Colts in 2004 playoffs
  5. 21-12 vs Chargers in 2007 playoffs

So, winning games, any which way you can, is what good playoff teams do. :)

Forced fumbles & Sacks can be game changers.

Because he was a 3 down lineman and length of career, I would believe the "Freeney Hole" has given up more rushing yards then Any other player in NFL history. 

It was a blast watching Dwight blast a guy with his bull rush, do a spin, get that arm for a fumble, lay the hammer with a sack.

Just harass a QB many times most games.

But I got tired a LONG time ago watching him constantly being pushed 8-10 yards downfield totally out of the play, with 5+ yard runs over and over and over thru his undefended hole.

Teams have ALWAYS ran a lot on 1st down, where was Waldo when we needed him? 

I look forward to being hard to run on. It would be a Big jump if our D is top 20 this year. Top 15 sounds really good today.

Andrew & cohorts will put up 22 points or more Most Sundays. :thmup:

28 is my guess....I really think we will score points BBs...good call!!!