Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Andrew Luck Director of Offense

ÅÐØNϧ 1

While many wonder & debate our FA moves & what our 2013 offense may or may not need  . I was reading this & thought it was a good read  A lil food for thought .

Sketching out how Pep Hamilton should transform the Colts offense .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1591637-sketching-out-how-pep-hamilton-should-transform-the-colts-offense-in-2013

Two thoughts......

First....   that's among the better articles I've ever seen on Bleacher Report,  so props to them!

Second....   I said it several times last year and I don't think it can be repeated enough....    when put into the right system (West Coast)   and given the right pieces,   the Andrew Luck of this year should be much, much better than last year's version....

I won't go so far as to say night and day....   but so much better....  

I'm really looking forward to seeing Andrew 2.0.     He's a special talent....

At least this man isnt caught up in the fantasy of adopting Stanford's offense.

We went runthe ball 40 times and win more than we lose.

But if we incoporate swing passes (virtual runs) into our attack, we still move the ball.

You have to have Luck throwing the bal 35-40 times. That's our strength...

Lets not outsmart ourselves

Two thoughts......

First....   that's among the better articles I've ever seen on Bleacher Report,  so props to them!

Second....   I said it several times last year and I don't think it can be repeated enough....    when put into the right system (West Coast)   and given the right pieces,   the Andrew Luck of this year should be much, much better than last year's version....

I won't go so far as to say night and day....   but so much better....  

I'm really looking forward to seeing Andrew 2.0.     He's a special talent....

he was playing much sharper towards the end of last season. he'll be a freak force next year (giddy with anticipation)

But if we incoporate swing passes (virtual runs) into our attack, we still move the ball.

If he's throwing 35-40 times then he's running the other 35-40. You can have typically 80 plays a game, although 70 seems more average. So that would be an even split. We're looking at more if a 50-30 split or so

I hadn't really heard much about "Stanford"'s offense replacing our as much as a West Coast offense.

THAT is what is happening.

And Hamilton stating the obvious regarding our strength in the passing game isn't to be translated into something implying we will continue with Bruce Arians style of offense.

THAT is not going to happen.

We're not adding some West Coast principles into what we did last season. We've changed to a West Coast offensive system. 

If he's throwing 35-40 times then he's running the other 35-40. You can have typically 80 plays a game, although 70 seems more average. So that would be an even split. We're looking at more if a 50-30 split or so

I think you're off on your numbers a bit....   most NFL teams have roughly 65-70 plays a game.   It's less than the college game.

So, for example last year,  the Colts averaged roughly 67 plays a game.   39.5 passes a game, 27.5 runs a game.

This year I'm expecting closer to this...   30-32 runs a game...   35-37 passes a game.   Just a bit of a tweek...  but our runs should be more effective this year...   and so should our passing game...    both should be better...

And hopefully,  that should make for a more consistent and efficient offense....

Sorry for so many numbers....   just wanted to offer some context for the discussion...

Mark....    I assume by "this man"  you mean me??

If so,  no,  I'm not caught up in the Colts trying to replicate the Stanford offense.  

What Stanford does it does because it's a blue print for success for Stanford.   And it works in the college game.  

But Stanford typically passed the ball 30-35 times a game and ran the ball 40-45 times a game.   That's never going to happen here, nor should it.

I expect Indy to still throw the ball more than it runs...  just not as lopsided as last year...  39.5 pass, 27.5 run.

This year, I'm thinking 30-32 runs,  35-37 passes a game...    along those lines...   

Hope that clarifies....

I hadn't really heard much about "Stanford"'s offense replacing our as much as a West Coast offense.

THAT is what is happening.

And Hamilton stating the obvious regarding our strength in the passing game isn't to be translated into something implying we will continue with Bruce Arians style of offense.

THAT is not going to happen.

We're not adding some West Coast principles into what we did last season. We've changed to a West Coast offensive system. 

Yes  it is WCO  but when I first heard this I read a lil about it , Those who employ it have there own lil tweaks to hybridize it & From what I recall ours will take some of what worked from B.A's scheme & incorporate it in to the new O.C's playbook .

I think you're off on your numbers a bit.... most NFL teams have roughly 65-70 plays a game. It's less than the college game.

So, for example last year, the Colts averaged roughly 67 plays a game. 39.5 passes a game, 27.5 runs a game.

This year I'm expecting closer to this... 30-32 runs a game... 35-37 passes a game. Just a bit of a tweek... but our runs should be more effective this year... and so should our passing game... both should be better...

And hopefully, that should make for a more consistent and efficient offense....

Sorry for so many numbers.... just wanted to offer some context for the discussion...

Well I happen to look up the averages and it had said 70, cause my original 80 I knew was high.

I personally have never really felt a set average should be followed between the run and pass. I've always felt it's best to exploit the opposing defense's weakness on a weekly basis. Doing that correctly will lead to a successful offense.

I personally have never really felt a set average should be followed between the run and pass. I've always felt it's best to exploit the opposing defense's weakness on a weekly basis. Doing that correctly will lead to a successful offense.

Kenny the philosopher has spoken! haha

Couldn't have said it any better

Kenny, very well said-- and I agree with you to an extenet. I have two points to make, and please accept that this is just my $.02.

1. I agree that we shouldn't follow a set average game-to-game, and that we should exploit the opposing defense's weakness, but at the same time we have to consider playing to our strengths, which at this time is our passing game. I think that is what many are alluding to.

2. I think most game plans are put together to exploit the opposing team's defensive weakness and over the course of a season, our team's stregths will be highlighted to equate to a pass-run percentage. This could equate to 55% pass and 45% run, or whatever the numbers may indicate, which again would go back to the numbers that posters are alluding to. It all boils down to the fact that we are currently structured to be an efficient passing team based on the number of pass catching threats that we have.

Kenny the philosopher has spoken! haha

Couldn't have said it any better

I try I try haha. Heck with us going to something Luck is so familiar with we can rely on him a little to choose between run and pass on a play by play basis.

i wonder what the jaguars run/pass ratio was when they dropped 375 on us  

Kenny, very well said-- and I agree with you to an extenet. I have two points to make, and please accept that this is just my $.02.

1. I agree that we shouldn't follow a set average game-to-game, and that we should exploit the opposing defense's weakness, but at the same time we have to consider playing to our strengths, which at this time is our passing game. I think that is what many are alluding to.

2. I think most game plans are put together to exploit the opposing team's defensive weakness and over the course of a season, our team's stregths will be highlighted to equate to a pass-run percentage. This could equate to 55% pass and 45% run, or whatever the numbers may indicate, which again would go back to the numbers that posters are alluding to. It all boils down to the fact that we are currently structured to be an efficient passing team based on the number of pass catching threats that we have.

Oh I fully agree that we are definitely built for the pass, but we are putting the pieces together for running the ball as well(FA linemen who run block well and AC and Shipley(Though he is not praised for it) who showed darn good skill in it last year). 

I've just always felt following a set routine has always made us predictable(All those stuffs/losses on 1st down runs a 3 year old could predict).

As much I hate to admit I always found the Patriots offense amazing, three step drops, dink and dunk, and as frustrated as I would be when the Colts faced it, I couldn't help but admire it. I don't have a very good idea on how the Colts should run the ball, I get lost on zone block assignments, etc..I would like however to see the Pep install a passing attack like NE, those three step drops just seem unstoppable. I also like the the way they use the TE in seam, I want to see the Colts play for the sticks more. The gaudy 20+ yard plays and huge bombs are fun to watch but not as efficient as I would like. One thing I always loved about Peyton is he knew where the marker was to move the chains.

Kenny....    well said....    I was only trying to throw out ballpark numbers that we might expect to see as averages at the end of the season...

I wasn't meaning to imply that those numbers are hard and fast to be used every week.    No.   Not at all.

Some weeks we'll throw more than 40 times....     some weeks we might run 35 times....   you're right,  it all depends on the opponent...

But at the end of the year,  those projections that I tossed out (and that's all they are)  is what I'm guessing we'll have done for the 2013 season...

Hope that clarifies....  and good point by you....

Andrew Luck  Radioactive video

:colts:

Very cool video.  Nice to finally find a highlight video that I can re-post without being embarrassed for my family to hear the soundtrack along with it.

From the article linked to by the original poster:

If the Colts' offensive line can pull it off, it could be a devastating combination.

That will be the key!

If our O-line improves, and I think it will, this offense is gonna be awesome.

Can't wait to see it in action!

Kenny....    well said....    I was only trying to throw out ballpark numbers that we might expect to see as averages at the end of the season...

I wasn't meaning to imply that those numbers are hard and fast to be used every week.    No.   Not at all.

Some weeks we'll throw more than 40 times....     some weeks we might run 35 times....   you're right,  it all depends on the opponent...

But at the end of the year,  those projections that I tossed out (and that's all they are)  is what I'm guessing we'll have done for the 2013 season...

Hope that clarifies....  and good point by you....

Oh it's all good I got what was implied haha was just throwing it out there honestly didn't even think it'd have been taken with such high regard haha.

Video scared me for a minute. Thought it was supposed to be a highlight video & it started by showing Luck getting hit & throwing picks. But it showed all the great plays :D

I'll never forget that throw he made with C. Matthews hanging on his arm like a monkey

Video scared me for a minute. Thought it was supposed to be a highlight video & it started by showing Luck getting hit & throwing picks. But it showed all the great plays :D

I'll never forget that throw he made with C. Matthews hanging on his arm like a monkey

Did you watch the Stanford video I just put up . The Hit  was pretty cool  a wide variety of plays Luck was doing a Bo Jackson sequence  hitting running throwing catching  , people wonder what Pep Hamilton might do I'd say heres a few options ..

Did you watch the Stanford video I just put up . The Hit was pretty cool a wide variety of plays Luck was doing a Bo Jackson sequence hitting running throwing catching , people wonder what Pep Hamilton might do I'd say heres a few options ..

Yeah I remember that hit. We should put Luck at LB haha