Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

As of now, how much cap space do we have?

UKColt13

By my calculations we have 111,066,551 in contracts which would leave us almost 12 mil left.

BTW: I got the numbers from here. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/ I had to add in Franklins contract and then subtract Matt overton's contract since only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. I think this is right.

thanks

Don't the Colts can rework Pats Franchise tender to get more cap space

and maybe redo Vontae as well

Yes if Pats contract gets reworked we will save at least 1 mil this year i think.  no reason to redo Vantaes yet its a really good deal cap wise and would only cost us more money this year if we do.  Unless we have enough left over after the draft and they want to sign him long term with the extra money we have.

Yeah when they start negotiating with Vontae he's gonna want a raise.  Reworking Pat's Franchise tender would open up a little bit of cap space, but not a lot.  Maybe a million at most.  

By my calculations we have 111,066,551 in contracts which would leave us almost 12 mil left.

BTW: I got the numbers from here. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/cap-hit/ I had to add in Franklins contract and then subtract Matt overton's contract since only the top 51 contracts count against the cap. I think this is right.

The $14.84MM cap space has to account for the draft picks which I estimate at $3.7MM.

This also has to account for the average $5MM of cap space GMs like to save during the season to use in case of emergency fills due to injury.  Last season, Grigson used this an approximate $8MM injury fund throughout the season, and was left with a $3.5MM of unused cap space which has now been carried over to this year (and included in the overall $14.84MM).

It also assumes that there will be no more dead cap to account for with releasing players already on contract that had signing bonuses.

It also assumes that the cut-down differential (from a max of 90 to eventually 53) will be for players below the top 51 contract threshold.

Remember, that this has not yet accounted for Aubrayo Franklin's contract.        I got this information from Undecidedfrog for those that remember him he is very smart

The $14.84MM cap space has to account for the draft picks which I estimate at $3.7MM.

This also has to account for the average $5MM of cap space GMs like to save during the season to use in case of emergency fills due to injury.  Last season, Grigson used this an approximate $8MM injury fund throughout the season, and was left with a $3.5MM of unused cap space which has now been carried over to this year (and included in the overall $14.84MM).

It also assumes that there will be no more dead cap to account for with releasing players already on contract that had signing bonuses.

It also assumes that the cut-down differential (from a max of 90 to eventually 53) will be for players below the top 51 contract threshold.

Remember, that this has not yet accounted for Aubrayo Franklin's contract.        I got this information from Undecidedfrog for those that remember him he is very smart

Yeah I agree. We will need around 3 mil. for draft picks if we don't get any extra picks from trades and like you said around 8 mil. left for the season. Really unless we make any cuts or restructure McAfee's contract, there is very little still available to add anybody else. I'm sure if they needed to though, they could find the money somehow.

Yes if Pats contract gets reworked we will save at least 1 mil this year i think. no reason to redo Vantaes yet its a really good deal cap wise and would only cost us more money this year if we do. Unless we have enough left over after the draft and they want to sign him long term with the extra money we have.

The problem with waiting on Vontae's contract is if he has a good year (it is contract year after all) he's going to demand top dollar. However, it works both ways. He could have an underwhelming year. So I agree waiting is best, but keep talks open.

Yeah I agree. We will need around 3 mil. for draft picks if we don't get any extra picks from trades and like you said around 8 mil. left for the season. Really unless we make any cuts or restructure McAfee's contract, there is very little still available to add anybody else. I'm sure if they needed to though, they could find the money somehow.

It's a tenuous situation at this point in time, because only the top 51 contracts are going to count against the cap before final cuts are made. So really, only the first and third round draft picks are going to fit into that top 51 right now, and that's probably less than $2m against the cap. Plus, that will push another couple of minimum salary guys out of the top 51, so the net impact on the cap figure will probably only be about $1m for draft picks. None of the UDFAs will count. If we sign DHB, it's likely that he'll be in the top 51. But even then, depending on his cap hit, we'll still probably be somewhere around $10m in available cap space. And the 53 man roster will probably be somewhere in that range also. Cap space isn't really an issue right now.

Also, let's say a few veterans get released during camp -- Satele, McGlynn, Linkenbach, Vaughn, whoever -- that would have a positive net impact on our cap situation. So, unless we go out and sign a couple of higher priced guys, there's no sense is getting worked up over the cap. We're in good shape.

Also, let's say a few veterans get released during camp -- Satele, McGlynn, Linkenbach, Vaughn, whoever -- that would have a positive net impact on our cap situation. So, unless we go out and sign a couple of higher priced guys, there's no sense is getting worked up over the cap. We're in good shape.

Oh, I agree. Were still in pretty good shape right now. I can see a few vets getting released too, so they will figure out a way to keep us in decent cap shape.

I know are they staying?Is what I was wondering,could both be possible cuts.

Both could be. I personally like Mathews; McGlynn, not so much. But neither is entrenched on the roster at this point.

Releasing McGlynn would save between $1.5-$1.7m on the cap, depending on when he's released, so long as it's before the start of the season. He's a vested veteran, so if he's on the roster to start Week 1, his salary becomes fully guaranteed.

Mathews would save $630k on the cap if he's released anytime before the start of the season. After the start of the season, he can still be released, but the savings would be prorated. So if he's released after Week 4, for instance, he'd only save $481k against the cap.

Moderate savings for McGlynn, minimal savings for Mathews.

But I haven't heard any news suggested either is going to be released. That doesn't mean anything, but Grigson never has anything but good things to say about McGlynn, and given how our defensive linemen have been dropping like flies early in the season over the past few years, I would think we'd want to hold on to Mathews for as long as possible, even if he is on the bubble.

isnt Vontae a FA next year anyway?? only way i can see Vontae even discussing re working his contract is by talking a new deal that will have him making less early on in his contract then what he would be making this coming season.  BUT i could be wrong, i dont get to big in the contracts.

isnt Vontae a FA next year anyway?? only way i can see Vontae even discussing re working his contract is by talking a new deal that will have him making less early on in his contract then what he would be making this coming season.  BUT i could be wrong, i dont get to big in the contracts.

It would be an extension, and it would give him a raise this year in total cash, plus it would give him a new deal moving forward. But it would likely be less than he could demand on the open market. Security vs. maximum earning potential.

I'm more curious about how much cap space well have in 2014.. This years free agency was fun to watch for once.

As of right now, we have around $81m on the books in 2014, pending further details on the contracts for Laron Landry and Greg Toler, and any additional contracts for draft picks and other players. An extension for McAfee would eat into that as well. Figure on $90-95m cap for 2014. If the cap stays at $123m in 2014, that's another $28m-33m in cap space in 2014.

Edited by Superman