Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Erik Walden better than Dwight Freeney?

BlueCollarColts

I have heard many people talk about how bad of a signing Erik Walden was, but I think he is an upgrade over Freeney, I am strictly talking 3-4 scheme, not the 4-3, lets look at the stats

Dwight Freeney- 14 tackles, 5.0 sacks, 1 FF, 0 INT

Erik Walden- 46 tackles, 3.0 sacks, 0 FF, 2 INT

so, the main thing, actually the only thing Freeney does is get pressure on the QB, and last year in our new 3-4 scheme, he was not doing it, Walden may not be a huge pressure guy, but he can stop the run unlike Freeney, and we don't lose a whole lot in pressuring the QB, so is Walden considered an upgrade over Freeney in the 3-4?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard many people talk about how bad of a signing Erik Walden was, but I think he is an upgrade over Freeney, I am strictly talking 3-4 scheme, not the 4-3, lets look at the stats

so, the main thing, actually the only thing Freeney does is get pressure on the QB, and last year in our new 3-4 scheme, he was not doing it, Walden may not be a huge pressure guy, but he can stop the run unlike Freeney, and we don't lose a whole lot in pressuring the QB, so is Walden considered an upgrade over Freeney in the 3-4?

From what I read so far,I think Walden will be playing the other side.Mathis is supposed to take over Freeney's spot.Who knows until camp is over !!

From what I read so far,I think Walden will be playing the other side.Mathis is supposed to take over Freeney's spot.Who knows until camp is over !!

Irsay said Mathis will be the rush LBer and Walden will be the strong side LBer. Walden's strength is setting the edge. This is why I can't understand why everybody keeps saying they're worried about pass rush. Mathis was our best pass rusher last yr. from the strong side, he should be better from the rush side.

Right, that's what we've been hearing.  So is the question - Is Mathis an upgrade over Freeney?  And is Walden a good fit at strong side OLB for us?

Probably won't know until we see them play in those spots.

Right, that's what we've been hearing.  So is the question - Is Mathis an upgrade over Freeney?  And is Walden a good fit at strong side OLB for us?

like mathis MUCH better than freeney. 

Setting the edge is important in our D, and supposedly this guy can do it.  That in and of itself is an upgrade. Now can the guy further develop and get folks talking about his other abilities... I surely hope so. :)

Irsay said Mathis will be the rush LBer and Walden will be the strong side LBer. Walden's strength is setting the edge. This is why I can't understand why everybody keeps saying they're worried about pass rush. Mathis was our best pass rusher last yr. from the strong side, he should be better from the rush side.

Hold on now....

You can't understand why???     Really?

Let's see if this helps.....   other than Mathis, now in the rush OLB spot,  where are we supposed to get some pressure on the QB?

(this is where the Jeopardy music comes in while you take time to consider your answer)

The answer?      The other OLB spot.   So, Walden,  while his main responsibility is to set the edge,  also has to provide a lot of pressure.    Otherwise,  we've got one guy and teams can always scheme to handle that one guy.

In fact,  I'm not even happy with the idea of two guys being able to pressure.   I want as many as the Colts can find.   There is no such thing in the modern NFL as having too many guys who can rush the quarterback.

I hope our D-Lineman can provide some pressure,  but I'm very Missouri on them until they can show me something.....

We were terrible last year pressuring the QB.    We were terrible last year in forcing turnovers.    Both areas have to get dramatically better.     Some of that has to come from Walden.....

Hold on now....

Let's see if this helps.....   other than Mathis, now in the rush OLB spot,  where are we supposed to get some pressure on the QB?

(this is where the Jeopardy music comes in while you take time to consider your answer)

The answer?      The other OLB spot.   So, Walden,  while his main responsibility is to set the edge,  also has to provide a lot of pressure.    Otherwise,  we've got one guy and teams can always scheme to handle that one guy.

In fact,  I'm not even happy with the idea of two guys being able to pressure.   I want as many as the Colts can find.   There is no such thing in the modern NFL as having too many guys who can rush the quarterback.

I hope our D-Lineman can provide some pressure,  but I'm very Missouri on them until they can show me something.....

We were terrible last year pressuring the QB.    We were terrible last year in forcing turnovers.    Both areas have to get dramatically better.     Some of that has to come from Walden.....

Listen, I think people are completely over reacting on this. I would like for the Walden experts here to explain how Walden is incapable of rushing the passer.  Our scouting guys and our GM and coaching staff apparently wholeheartedly disagree with the so called experts on the forum that think Walden is crap. We also still have Hughes who I know people love to gripe about, but the fact is he had 5 sacks last season in a rotational role where he didn't get a ton a snaps. I just choose to have a little faith in the professionals running the organization. The pessimism on this forum over the last week is sickening.

When you compare it that way, maybe not too bad....

WOW....some of these posts are embarassing....I am afraid to post.......might be too condescending....Guys, study the 3-4 defense and it's responsibilities....some of you are off base...some are spot on...Quiz first period tomorrow.... :spit:

Actually some really fun posts.... :thmup:

Hold on now....

You can't understand why??? Really?

Let's see if this helps..... other than Mathis, now in the rush OLB spot, where are we supposed to get some pressure on the QB?

The answer? The other OLB spot. So, Walden, while his main responsibility is to set the edge, also has to provide a lot of pressure. Otherwise, we've got one guy and teams can always scheme to handle that one guy.

In fact, I'm not even happy with the idea of two guys being able to pressure. I want as many as the Colts can find. There is no such thing in the modern NFL as having too many guys who can rush the quarterback.

I hope our D-Lineman can provide some pressure, but I'm very Missouri on them until they can show me something.....

We were terrible last year pressuring the QB. We were terrible last year in forcing turnovers. Both areas have to get dramatically better. Some of that has to come from Walden.....

my aren't you condescending. please elaborste on your extensive knowledge of the 3-4 defense. You realize the inside backers and dbs also bring pressure depending on the play that is called

Listen, I think people are completely over reacting on this. I would like for the Walden experts here to explain how Walden is incapable of rushing the passer.  Our scouting guys and our GM and coaching staff apparently wholeheartedly disagree with the so called experts on the forum that think Walden is crap. We also still have Hughes who I know people love to gripe about, but the fact is he had 5 sacks last season in a rotational role where he didn't get a ton a snaps. I just choose to have a little faith in the professionals running the organization. The pessimism on this forum over the last week is sickening.

You're misreading me.....

But you talked about Walden being a guy whose primary responsibility it is to set the edge and then talked about Mathis being our rush guy.

My only point is....    that's not enough.    We need more.    We need a lot more.    I want to slow and contain the running game as much as the next fan....    but we've got to be able to pressure the QB,  and so that's going to include Walden.

I'm hoping for at least 8 sacks from each....   that may not be realistic...   but as of today,   that's my goal...

my aren't you condescending. please elaborste on your extensive knowledge of the 3-4 defense. You realize the inside backers and dbs also bring pressure depending on the play that is called

Thank you, It's amazing to me that people think we can't get a pass rush now. It's called coaching and as long as the players take to it, there won't be a problem.

Right, that's what we've been hearing. So is the question - Is Mathis an upgrade over Freeney? And is Walden a good fit at strong side OLB for us?

"Is Mathis an upgrade over Freeney"?

Mathis caught a pick, end of discussion

*Walks away*

Sorry.....   what you see as condescending, I see as being playful.   Balzer is one of my favorite posters.   We communicate off-line. I was trying to have some fun with him.

If I over-stepped,  I'm happy to apologize to him and to you and to everyone else.

And I don't have to give you my extensive knowledge of anything.   All I have to do is point to our terrible ranking in sacks, in QB pressures and hits,  and in forcing turnovers.    Balzer's comment was the pressure was going to come from Mathis.    I simply said that wasn't enough.   

We have to get much, much better in those areas.    Or do you disagree??

But you talked about Walden being a guy whose primary responsibility it is to set the edge and then talked about Mathis being our rush guy.

My only point is....    that's not enough.    We need more.    We need a lot more.    I want to slow and contain the running game as much as the next fan....    but we've got to be able to pressure the QB,  and so that's going to include Walden.

I'm hoping for at least 8 sacks from each....   that may not be realistic...   but as of today,   that's my goal...

While i have the same thoughts, i think with the upgrades on the line and in LB core, we will be ok. We have a lot of depth to rotate guys in and out and keep them fresh. Walden, whether you like him or not will be fine. If you watch the guy he has some nice pressures and moves when rushing but sets the edge better. Not to mention last year was the first year in the new defense, i expect the Colts to bring pressure from different ways and stunts, more so then last year. Mark my word. Walden will be the steal of the FA

Hold on now....

I think some would be well served to spend some time reading about and/or watching the Sam linebacker in this hybrid defense over the last few years. He does rush, and he does get pressure, and he will get sacks. But you're not looking for a sack monster, nor are you looking for a tackle monster. Guys like Jarrett Johnson or Bryan Thomas are the ideal Sam backer, and those guys usually top out at around five or six sacks a year.

Mathis got most of his sacks last season playing the Rush spot in Freeney's absence. And ideally, you'd want two guys who could interchange between the two spots, which is why I was on board with Kruger. But the pass rush is going to be a coordinated effort. You'll have one guy lead the way with a solid sack year, probably 10+ (Mathis), and then you'll have a couple other guys at around 5 sacks, and then a few other guys who get there a couple few times. If you get to around 35 for the season, you did a decent job. If you get to 40+, you're one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. I think Hughes has a chance to be a wild card pass rusher, maybe get to 8 sacks or so, if our line can hold up in the middle.

Anyways, if you're looking for Walden to make a major impact as a sack man, you're not fully understanding his role in this defense. And seeing as how he's not a really strong pass rusher anyways, there's nothing wrong with that.

Yes, Waldens primary responsibility is setting the edge, by no means did I mean that he don't have to rush the passer. I just think some are not getting the fact that just because Walden didn't get a bunch of sacks in Green Bay, don't mean that he can't in our system. Unless somebody here has sat down and watched every snap that Walden played last yr., then we don't know what the main problem was for him not getting more sacks. I didn't watch Green Bay at all except when we played them, Their D-line wasn't anything special from what I remember and besides Shields their secondary was awful too. Those things can effect pass rush significantly, and IMO with our signings, I think were better than Green Bay in both of those area's now. Maybe our pass rush will suck and if they do I'll be complaining about it too, but for right now, I'm willing to wait and see.

Sorry.....   what you see as condescending, I see as being playful.   Balzer is one of my favorite posters.   We communicate off-line. I was trying to have some fun with him.

If I over-stepped,  I'm happy to apologize to him and to you and to everyone else.

And I don't have to give you my extensive knowledge of anything.   All I have to do is point to our terrible ranking in sacks, in QB pressures and hits,  and in forcing turnovers.    Balzer's comment was the pressure was going to come from Mathis.    I simply said that wasn't enough.   

We have to get much, much better in those areas.    Or do you disagree??

Your OK NCF, I'm just a little on edge today. :thmup:

I think some would be well served to spend some time reading about and/or watching the Sam linebacker in this hybrid defense over the last few years. He does rush, and he does get pressure, and he will get sacks. But you're not looking for a sack monster, nor are you looking for a tackle monster. Guys like Jarrett Johnson or Bryan Thomas are the ideal Sam backer, and those guys usually top out at around five or six sacks a year.

Mathis got most of his sacks last season playing the Rush spot in Freeney's absence. And ideally, you'd want two guys who could interchange between the two spots, which is why I was on board with Kruger. But the pass rush is going to be a coordinated effort. You'll have one guy lead the way with a solid sack year, probably 10+ (Mathis), and then you'll have a couple other guys at around 5 sacks, and then a few other guys who get there a couple few times. If you get to around 35 for the season, you did a decent job. If you get to 40+, you're one of the best pass rushing teams in the league. I think Hughes has a chance to be a wild card pass rusher, maybe get to 8 sacks or so, if our line can hold up in the middle.

Anyways, if you're looking for Walden to make a major impact as a sack man, you're not fully understanding his role in this defense. And seeing as how he's not a really strong pass rusher anyways, there's nothing wrong with that.

Well...  if Mathis gets 10+ and Walden gets 5,  then we're in the ballpark for the 16 I desire for the two OLB's...

That said....   I'm just not sure where the rest of the sacks/pressure are coming from.    And I haven't forgotten Hughes & Sidbury.     But our DL's are not known for sacking/pressuring the QB.    So, we're running out of options.    We'll get the occasional sack from a blitzing ILB. or Safety,  or even Corner...   but, I don't see it happening week in and week out....

Maybe this falls under the category of Rome not being built in a day.   Maybe we're two drafts and another FA year away from having more pressure on the QB.    Hope not,  but that's what it feels like today, in mid-March....