Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's latest tweet (Saturday 3/16)

GoColts8818

Meh idk. I think people are looking to hard into this. 

Quote 1: I think this sounds more like the deal almost collapsed more than anything else, but they are still trying to make it work. 

Quote 2: Just sounds like they were able to continue talking. They have used arrow like 15 in the past 5 days. Mostly they use it to refer to improvement, meaning talks are getting better from the near collapse. 

Quote 3: Just seems like a cryptic statement telling people that they are still working

Quote 4: Another one of his quotes, that may or may not have a meaning. No, hes not getting anybody named Walter. 

Meh idk. I think people are looking to hard into this. 

Quote 1: I think this sounds more like the deal almost collapsed more than anything else, but they are still trying to make it work. 

Quote 2: Just sounds like they were able to continue talking. They have used arrow like 15 in the past 5 days. Mostly they use it to refer to improvement, meaning talks are getting better from the near collapse. 

Quote 3: Just seems like a cryptic statement telling people that they are still working

Quote 4: Another one of his quotes, that may or may not have a meaning. No, hes not getting anybody named Walter. 

lol or he could be drunk.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to consider is the salary cap. Some of the biggest bargains in football (since the last CBA) are players on their rookie contracts. The 24th pick might average about 2M a year for 4 years, while Cruz will be 9M+ per year. So the question is.. can you draft somebody nearly has good as Cruz with the 24th pick? Cruz averaged about 5 catches and 66 yards a game last year. Could one of the top receivers in this year's draft do that? Maybe not in the first year -- and there is risk that the #24 will bust. I'd still like to see that #24 be used on a top OG/WR or trade down to the top of the second.Having said that, I think we do need a #2 receiver capable of moving to #1 in next couple of years. I'm sure they're analyzing the cap situation for the next few years and would only do a deal like this if it didn't put them in a bind in the future. Luck will have to be resigned in 3 years at 4x to 5x his current hit.. and we have to have room to do that.

I'd agree that I'd rather trade down. 2nd round pick is a way better bargain than a 1st round pick since you can sign them to a longer deal. I still think Cruz is worth the money having witnessed him take my money in my fantasy league last year. Dude is a stud.

We have five picks - 1, 3, 4, 6 & 7. I'm pretty sure that the compensatory picks will be announced shortly after the owners meeting and I expect we pick up one or two (Grigson said the same thing a month or so ago).

I really hope we dont give up much in the way of draft picks. We only have 4 as it is! Plus in my opinion we need CB and OG help more than WR help right now. Dont overpay and plz dont let us down Irsay!

Compare TY Hilton to DeSean Jackson's measureables and pro day workout. They're almost identical, so I'm guessing no to Jackson but rather someone with size and experience in the West Coast offense.

My thoughts too.   I'm just trying to connect the dots.

Dwayne Bowe (Signed five-year, $56M deal with KC)
Mike Wallace (Signed five-year, $60M deal with MIA)
Greg Jennings (Signed five-year, $47.5M deal with MIN)
Wes Welker (Signed two-year, $12M deal with DEN)
Danny Amendola (Signed five-year, $27.7M deal with NE)
Brian Hartline (Signed five-year, $30.775M deal with MIA) 
Brandon Lloyd
Julian Edelman 
Darrius Heyward-Bey 
Laurent Robinson
Jerome Simpson (Signed one-year, $2.1M deal with MIN)
Kevin Ogletree (Signed two-year, $2.6M deal with TB)
Randy Moss
Braylon Edwards
Donald Jones (Signed three-year deal with NE)
Josh Cribbs
Domenik Hixon
Ramses Barden
Jabar Gaffney
Brandon Stokley
Brandon Gibson (Signed three-year deal with MIA)
Steve Breaston
Titus Young
Mohamed Massaquoi 
David Nelson 
Kevin Walter
Mark Clayton
Donte' Stallworth
Brandon Tate
Ted Ginn
Devery Henderson
Louis Murphy (Signed one-year deal with NYG)
Michael Jenkins 
Derek Hagan 
Early Doucet
Terrell Owens
Plaxico Burress (Signed one-year, $940K deal with PIT)
Chaz Schilens
Sammie Stroughter
Steve Smith (STL) 
Devin Aromashodu 
Marlon Moore
Jordan Shipley
Chad Johnson
Deion Branch
Adrian Arrington
Courtney Roby
Jason Hill
Greg Camarillo
Kassim Osgood (Signed one-year deal with DET)
Roscoe Parrish
Mike Williams
Lee Evans
Micheal Spurlock
Brandon Banks
Mike Sims-Walker
Ruvell Martin 
Legedu Naanee

I wouldn't be surprised if our owner thinks he is the Dude or at least relates very strongly to his persona.

Quote 4 is from The Big Lebowski, nice, our owner quotes the Dude!  Still don't know what it means.  Smokey was a conscientious objector.

It probably would take our first this year and our first next year but we could add someone like Brazile, since Arians is familiar with him and loves guys with speed to stretch the field. I would expect additional draft picks if Fitzgerald were younger but he'll be 30 in late August.

What would we have to give up for Fitzgerald? 2 1sts, and 2 2nds, and 2 3rds?

In order to attain a big name WR we would need to free up some bucks. Only way to do that is to trade a guy with a big cap hit which I think could only be Bethea or Mathis.

My guess is then that we trade Bethea and our #1 and possible a guy like Brazill for Fitzgerald and hopefully a #2 or 3 draft choice. They would still need to rework Fitzs contract.

I agree that we'll be running a lot two tightend sets but TY may not have the size (and durablity) to be a regular number two WR working on the outside. Remember, Reggie only has two more years so this could be about finding his replacement for 2015 while working as the number two in the meantime.

agreed

I'm gonna be honest and say I don't see the need to harm ourselves financially in order to get another WR.

We've got T.Y. & Lavon Brazill coming into their 2nd year and both looked very good (relatively speaking). Was there some major flaw to their game that we all missed?

Move one of them to the 2, and the other to the slot. Draft some depth and keep it moving. What is the need here? And what is the proposed remedy?

Plus on a personal note: 5 days and a grip of drama to land a guy? Not in my World. If something doesn't at a minimum flow, I don't fool with it. When I start fixating & chasing something, it is 9 times out of 10 wrong in either it's motivation or eventual outcome. Just saying.

My guess is then that we trade Bethea and our #1 and possible a guy like Brazill for Fitzgerald and hopefully a #2 or 3 draft choice. They would still need to rework Fitzs contract.

Would B.A. do that? Can you imagine the backlash that the new Head Coach would get? The fanbase there is already lukewarm at best about his arrival. And they were apoplectic about losing their Dcoordinator. Now throw in trading Larry Fitzgerald....?

I dunno about that.

However, I do like your reasoning about how a deal might get done, with us trading out a veteran.

Is anyone else getting to the point where they don't even care if the deal goes through or not, they just want to know who the heck Irsay is talking about?

Yes. Plain and simple lol. I don't mind when he hypes up a signing a couple hours before the zero hour, but these all-nighters are becoming a little frustrating. At least let us get some sleep Jim!!!

so has anyone heard anything about what we would be trading away?

Yeah man, I heard it was Wayne, Mathis, Ballard, Costanzo, and the Colts' 1st round pick. Hefty price to pay I know but has to worth it for Baldwin, Cruz, and Fitz but worth it.