Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Tom Zbikowski

Andy

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would we get an older Safety for Bethea? We might as well take Kenny Vaccaro in the Draft if we want another FS

Bethea is a free agent after next season. If I had to choose between Ed Reed for one year and Bethea for one year, I'd choose Reed. Especially if we could trade Bethea for a second rounder (which I doubt we can).

Agree. i think we will draft either a CB or a S with our 1st pick

We wouldn't draft a backup safety with our 1st rounder.

This is why I think we could (and IMO should) draft Alabama's Robert Lester. Good player for the pick that will serve as a good backup on a rookie salary.

Why would we get an older Safety for Bethea? We might as well take Kenny Vaccaro in the Draft if we want another FS

well, if we were to actually do it, it would be because Bethea didn't play so great last season in a 3-4.  With Landry at SS as our big hitter, Bethea is our FS as a ball hawk cover safety.  Reed would be a big upgrade on Bethea and we could still draft a young S (just not in the 1st).

AGAIN, I REPEAT, IM NOT SAYING I THINK THIS WILL HAPPEN OR WANT IT TO!!!  I was just thinking out loud.  There are rumors right now that the Colts are still in play for Ed Reed and that there is a trade about to possibly go down.  If both of those rumors are true, that would make sense to me.

As underwhelming as Zbikowski was, he was better than David Caldwell and Aaron Francisco. So it was an upgrade over what we suffered through in 2010 and 2011. But he still didn't play well, and that's too bad.

Yes but they were scrubs squeezed in as injury replacements. Zbikowski isn't on the same planet as Sanders or Bethea, or even Bullit (when healthy) for that matter - which is who the front office invested their money in. The Colts would have had a very solid back four if not for injury. The point is that Zbikowski was brought in to start, and he simply isn't good enough to do so.

Don't get me wrong, it's reasonable to conclude that Grigson knew what they were getting, didn't expect him to last, and just couldn't afford more at the time. Now they can. My comments aren't about the quality of Grigson's decisions - I think that he's done a fine job so far overall - they were about the tone of the comments here when Zbikowski was signed.

This is why I think we could (and IMO should) draft Alabama's Robert Lester. Good player for the pick that will serve as a good backup on a rookie salary.

Just want to preface by saying I watched a lot of college football in 2011, not so much in 2012, and I did like Robert Lester a lot.  I liked T.J. McDonald of USC too, both seemed to be very good in coverage. 

Bethea is a free agent after next season. If I had to choose between Ed Reed for one year and Bethea for one year, I'd choose Reed. Especially if we could trade Bethea for a second rounder (which I doubt we can).

I don't think we're trading Bethea. But like I said, I'm done with predicting Grigson's moves so I guess it is possible

well, if we were to actually do it, it would be because Bethea didn't play so great last season in a 3-4. With Landry at SS as our big hitter, Bethea is our FS as a ball hawk cover safety. Reed would be a big upgrade on Bethea and we could still draft a young S (just not in the 1st).

AGAIN, I REPEAT, IM NOT SAYING I THINK THIS WILL HAPPEN OR WANT IT TO!!! I was just thinking out loud. There are rumors right now that the Colts are still in play for Ed Reed and that there is a trade about to possibly go down. If both of those rumors are true, that would make sense to me.

It was his 1st year in the system!! And when you have Vaughn as your CB, you'd look bad too. Safeties look better when their CB's & the pass rush is good

Colts.com has already removed his name from the roster. This cut must have been planned earlier for his name to be removed that quickly. Maybe they needed his jersey number for Toler (just kidding). Did he really ask for a release because he lost his role?

yeah snd we had a little under 19 mil before that...

There is a thread here in this section discussing this and ESPN reported our cap after all of our signings and the release of zibby. We only have a little over 10 mil left. We still have draft picks and in season moves that will need to be made. We won't spend much more unless we release others too.

Thank you for your service Tom. Best of luck to you in the future.

I don't think Ed Reed is a smart move following this; if anything I think it says we go SS in the draft now. LaRon is 28 years old (29 in October) so I would say a realistic pickup would be a safety to back him up.

Thank you for your service Tom. Best of luck to you in the future.

I don't think Ed Reed is a smart move following this; if anything I think it says we go SS in the draft now. LaRon is 28 years old (29 in October) so I would say a realistic pickup would be a safety to back him up.

Wait, Landry is SS. Why would we take a SS in the draft?? Isn't Lefeged the back up SS?

We won't take a SS in the draft. I think people get SS and FS confused. If anything we'll draft Bethea's replacement.

Balzer, please don't say things like that. You're telling me that if all this happens..... it's a possibility that Kenny Vaccaro could come to Indianapolis??!!! :yahoo:

Balzer, please don't say things like that. You're telling me that if all this happens..... it's a possibility that Kenny Vaccaro could come to Indianapolis??!!! :yahoo:

It's possible, but I still don't think we'll draft a FS in the 1st rd, so Vaccaro will probably be gone. Unless of course we trade down.

It was his 1st year in the system!! And when you have Vaughn as your CB, you'd look bad too. Safeties look better when their CB's & the pass rush is good

wow, just calm down a sec.  I realize everything you are saying already.  I was just saying it COULD happen.  Not that I thought it would, not that I wanted it to.  I am not going to pretend I know everything about everything and talk in absolutes.

by saying "it was his 1st year in the system" I will assume you are agreeing with me that he didn't play so great last year...  Just at least consider the fact that he could play as bad or worse this year.  this will be his second year in the system and we will have a better D around him so his play may improve, or it may not.  only time will tell.  IF our GM and coach feel he doesn't fit then trading him, signing Reed, and drafting someone late this year or early when Reed is retired makes sense.

So EASY. Bethea is NOT a good FS. Check the stats.

Oh NFL, you can`t draft Vaccaro, Colts only. It just doesn`t work that way. Not that i don`t like the idea.

Vaccaro is projected at SS. VG prospect- with room to improve like All of them.

NFL.com

Weaknesses

Used extensively in man coverage and around the line, must continue improving as a reliable back-half defender against the pass and last line of defense against long runs. One-speed player who lacks burst. Is not quite agile or fast enough to stick with better NFL receivers, backpedal is high and stiff, can be out-quicked in space, and loses a step running down the seam. Can get caught freelancing and watching the backfield in zone coverage, and will bite on play action. Knee injury ended his senior season in high school after three games. Can fill downhill out of control, losing his leverage on the ball carrier and missing tackles. Doesn’t always take good angles and is prone to running himself too far upfield when he’s the “force” defender.

Oh NFL, you can`t draft Vaccaro, Colts only. It just doesn`t work that way. Not that i don`t like the idea.

NFL.com

Weaknesses

Used extensively in man coverage and around the line, must continue improving as a reliable back-half defender against the pass and last line of defense against long runs. One-speed player who lacks burst. Is not quite agile or fast enough to stick with better NFL receivers, backpedal is high and stiff, can be out-quicked in space, and loses a step running down the seam. Can get caught freelancing and watching the backfield in zone coverage, and will bite on play action. Knee injury ended his senior season in high school after three games. Can fill downhill out of control, losing his leverage on the ball carrier and missing tackles. Doesn’t always take good angles and is prone to running himself too far upfield when he’s the “force” defender.

"Lack of burst" Hmm, they must've never saw a Texas game. And Kenny won't play SS. He's played it a few plays at Texas, but he's a true FS. And I put Kenny in there cause that's the only FS I know of in the draft. Elam, Lester, & Cyprus are all SS

So Kenny is like the only FS then? Cause I know Elam & the Lester guy from Bama are both SS

Vaccaro

Eric Reid

Phillip Thomas

Baccari Rambo

Tony Jefferson

are all the top FS prospects. We could probably get one in the 3rd rd.. I'm not real familiar with them because I didn't see a lot of college ball this season.

NFL.com

Weaknesses

wasnt bethea a probowl FS?

Has Bethea ever had a backup?  I've never seen him

"Lack of burst" Hmm, they must've never saw a Texas game. And Kenny won't play SS. He's played it a few plays at Texas, but he's a true FS. And I put Kenny in there cause that's the only FS I know of in the draft. Elam, Lester, & Cyprus are all SS

Going by NFL.com & CBSSports they both say SS. His 40 time i think suggests that.

the colts beat writer and espn have the same numbers. i would think they are a better source

The Colts beat writer and ESPN don't take great care to compile cap numbers and such; that's all Spotrac does. They'll use the numbers as reported from ESPN and everywhere else, but then they put them all together in a way that makes it possible to see what the actual cap figures are. I'd side with Spotrac.

But everyone should take care to understand what Spotrac is giving us right now. Assuming the details on the contracts are correct, they have us with a 2013 cap number of $111m. (That doesn't include whatever RJF's contract is yet.) That's for all 70 players we currently have under contract. Then you add in the $5.6m in dead money, and you subtract the $3.5m in rollover cap from 2012, and your entire cap number as of right now is $113.1m.

However, the cap figure for NFL purposes only includes the top 51 players on that list. You need to subtract about $9m from that number to come up with the number that we're actually being held to right now, and that's about $104m. The cap for 2013 is $123m. So we currently have about $19m in cap space. (Not including RJF; assume his cap hit is about $4m in 2013, and we still have about $15m left.)

We still have to fill out the roster. We have 19 open spots. We'll have five draft picks, as of right now, but only one or two of those will count toward our cap space in the preseason, because the majority of them won't have cap hits high enough to be included in our top 51. Likely none of our UDFAs and other late free agency acquisitions will have much impact on our cap. So our cap space is probably projected to be somewhere around $14m at the beginning of the year, based on the moves we've made so far.

Odd, I like zibs being I'm a Irish fan. With that said he didn't cut it as a starter but thought he would be alright as a back up.

Weird timing on releasing him unless they plan on signing someone else. Or giving him a chance to sign with someone else.

Back on the edge of the seat again waiting on the next move!! ;)

Weeeeeeee! Weeeeeeeee! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeew!