Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Wasn't The Roof Open

dn4192

Basically having a roof that can open and close was a waste of money...

No, when they can have it open they do. We knew when it was built it was going to be 50/50 during the year that it would be open. Anytime there is rain in the area they have to close it because it has no drainage, all retractable roof stadiums are built like that not just ours. However I can tell by the sub title you are pushing another agenda and we aren't going to change your mind so this will be my only post on the subject.

Basically having a roof that can open and close was a waste of money...

And there it is - the root of your complaint.

First off, your argument is so 2005. They built it. It has a retractable roof. Probably a good time to move on.

Secondly, there are plenty of other things to compalin about regarding the Colts. This one ain't too high on the list.

Lastly, the freaking stadium has no drainage. This is not a new development. If there is the slightest chance of rain, you guessed - the roof is closed.

Lucas Oil Stadium is in all practical purposes an indoor stadium. It is an indoor stadium with a retractable roof. There are 2 things that make it impossible to keep the roof open...

1) The field is designed flat and was not designed to funnel water off. That is typical of any indoor playing surface. If there is any chance of rain, the field could become dangerous as the water would basically have no place to go if it built up quickly.

2) Electronics. There are many electronics in the rafters of LOS, again because it was designed as an indoor stadium. If it rained it would ruin and/or short out many of the electronics, possibly causing a dangerous situation.

Yes, LOS does have a retractable roof. But you need to stop thinking of it as an "outdoor stadium". It is not. It is an indoor stadium that has the unique ability to have the roof retracted in good weather.

My seats are just below the sliding windows in the end-zone (north side). Although it was not raining, there was definitely a mist at the start of the game that was coming through that window. It was noticeable but not enough to hinder play one way or the other but since there was a possibility of rain in the area, they were not going to open the roof. When you don't plan on it ever raining on a field, you don't plan for drainage.

Really, I never saw any and why can't you play football in the rain?

Oh, I don't know, maybe for the same reason you don't open the sunroof in your car when it rains?

And this topic shows how little you really do know. The retractable roof wasn't added onto the stadium just for football. It was an attempt to land more summer events for the city. Most events that come to town and utilize the Luke do so in the winter. No one wants to go to an indoor event in the summer, and because they can come here and be indoors in the winter, we always get winter events. By making the roof retractable it made it less of an "inside" venue because the roof and the window can be opened, which was aimed mostly at trying to get more summer events/concerts for the city in the stadium.

Oh, I don't know, maybe for the same reason you don't open the sunroof in your car when it rains?

And this topic shows how little you really do know. The retractable roof wasn't added onto the stadium just for football. It was an attempt to land more summer events for the city. Most events that come to town and utilize the Luke do so in the winter. No one wants to go to an indoor event in the summer, and because they can come here and be indoors in the winter, we always get winter events. By making the roof retractable it made it less of an "inside" venue because the roof and the window can be opened, which was aimed mostly at trying to get more summer events/concerts for the city in the stadium.

Please the retractable roof is there for football and nothing else. Other non football events are not going to pick Lucas because the roof can open, they want the security and set environment an enclosed stadium offers. This was a waste of tax payer dollars like no other in Indiana history. Really it is open like what 3 times a year at best?

Please the retractable roof is there for football and nothing else. Other non football events are not going to pick Lucas because the roof can open, they want the security and set environment an enclosed stadium offers. This was a waste of tax payer dollars like no other in Indiana history. Really it is open like what 3 times a year at best?

Have you been to a game with the roof open?

Why did you want it opened so bad? What's the issue with the roof? It opens sometimes, that's why it's a retractable roof. Did you want a open field?

I was at the game and thought it was cool the big window was open. it was really

comfortable in there. remember it did rain a little in the morning and they cant open and

close it in a matter of minutes,and unless i am mistaken the have 90 mins before kick to

let the league office know open or closed and can't change it after that.

I was at the game and thought it was cool the big window was open. it was really

comfortable in there. remember it did rain a little in the morning and they cant open and

close it in a matter of minutes,and unless i am mistaken the have 90 mins before kick to

let the league office know open or closed and can't change it after that.

You are correct, except the "can't change it after that" part...there have been at least two games I can remember where they closed the roof mid-game because of unforeseen storms rolling in. They even showed the roof closing on TV during a night game for a few seconds...

Why did you want it opened so bad? What's the issue with the roof? It opens sometimes, that's why it's a retractable roof. Did you want a open field?

Yes it should have been an open stadium, but I fully understand how whimpish Colt fans are and I even do understand by having a roof you allow it to be used more, so just put a normal roof on it, having it be able to open and close was a waste of money and we are not talking chump change here either.

Yes it should have been an open stadium, but I fully understand how whimpish Colt fans are and I even do understand by having a roof you allow it to be used more, so just put a normal roof on it, having it be able to open and close was a waste of money and we are not talking chump change here either.

On your way home from school, you may want to stop off at a 7-11 and buy yourself a clue.

It was never, ever going to be an open air stadium. Nor should it have been. Are you familar with a little event called the NCAA Basketball Tourney?

The NCAA guaranteed that Indy gets to host the Final 4 every five years were they to build the stadium they did. Tell me how Indy gets that bonus if the stadium is open-air?

Why is this a debate now - 4 freaking years after the stadium opened. It is what it is.

On your way home from school, you may want to stop off at a 7-11 and buy yourself a clue.

It was never, ever going to be an open air stadium. Nor should it have been. Are you familar with a little event called the NCAA Basketball Tourney?

The NCAA guaranteed that Indy gets to host the Final 4 every five years were they to build the stadium they did. Tell me how Indy gets that bonus if the stadium is open-air?

Why is this a debate now - 4 freaking years after the stadium opened. It is what it is.

I said I can understand having a roof due to other events that we book in, but do they open the roof for the NCAA finals? Again it's a waste of money when we can't even open it when the weather is okay.