Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith Trade

dw49

3119.jpg

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

Any potential deal cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 12. La Canfora does not know the acquiring team, but lists the Chiefs and Jaguars as "two teams that make sense." Both NFL.com and Yahoo Sports have reported in the past three days that the Chiefs were Smith's most dogged pursuer. Although his arm limitations were as evident as ever last season, Smith would be an acceptable stop-gap option in Andy Reid's West Coast offense. Smith isn't expected to fetch more than a mid-round pick -- probably a fourth-rounder.
Feb 24 - 5:54 PM

Maybe the Pats are cutting Brady to sign Talib and Smith ?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000144952/article/alex-smith-not-being-pursued-by-jacksonville-jaguars

According to that, the Jags are not pursuing Smith.  A 4th rounder seems like a steal for whoever gets him.  Smith has shown he can be effective in the right system.

Totally believe that. The Jags are something La Canfora comes up with. Makes no sense to me that the Jags would start over with Smith. They'll either draft a QB or give Gabbert one more year. If they choose to draft one , they shoud be able to get one of the higher rated ones at the top of round two.

This is the worst possible year to have the first overall pick.     Poor KC....      Any other year there would be at least ONE sure fire stud out there.        But this year teams picking QB's may as well throw a dart at a photo lineup and hope for the best.

G Smith didn't do himself any favors with that Mooch interview....     

This is the worst possible year to have the first overall pick.     Poor KC....      Any other year there would be at least ONE sure fire stud out there.        But this year teams picking QB's may as well throw a dart at a photo lineup and hope for the best.

That's a WVU student to a T. They aren't they brightest, and pride themselves on being "the biggest partiers." 

The people that I went to school with that went off to WVU were the snobby kids who just wanted to get wasted everyday, and that is all they cared about.

Vanderjagt and McAfee are WVU students. The "liquored up kicker" and "canal swimmer" kept their act up. haha

Not a knock to Pat because he seemed like a great guy.

What does Jim Harbaugh have to say about all this since he has maintained all along he wont trade Alex Smith? Maybe they will play hard ball just to get a 3rd rounder out of him???

I thought Harbaugh had maintained all along that the 49ers wouldn't cut Smith and let him walk without getting something in return.    I don't recall a story saying they wouldn't trade him.

That's my recollection at least.....  (which isn't saying much these days....)

That's a WVU student to a T. They aren't they brightest, and pride themselves on being "the biggest partiers."

The people that I went to school with that went off to WVU were the snobby kids who just wanted to get wasted everyday, and that is all they cared about.

Vanderjagt and McAfee are WVU students. The "liquored up kicker" and "canal swimmer" kept their act up. haha

That's interesting. The word "trees" comes to mind more than "parties" does for me when I think West Virginia. But maybe I've just watched one too many Wrong Turn movies...

Every big state university is a party school....hard to avoid when you have 20-40k kids living in close proximity

Honestly..  if I were KC I would trade out of this pick for ANYTHING and pick a couple of the young QB's and hope it works out.

I really like this draft for overall quality...  but there is NO obvious STUD this season...  

Not the Jags.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/544821/ryan-ohalloran/2013-02-24/jaguars-not-acquiring-alex-smith

BTW, Chiefs fans don't seem too happy on their forums from what I saw.

3119.jpg

According to CBS' Jason La Canfora, the 49ers have "expressed to others" that an Alex Smith trade is "effectively complete."

Any potential deal cannot be finalized until the new league year begins on March 12. La Canfora does not know the acquiring team, but lists the Chiefs and Jaguars as "two teams that make sense." Both NFL.com and Yahoo Sports have reported in the past three days that the Chiefs were Smith's most dogged pursuer. Although his arm limitations were as evident as ever last season, Smith would be an acceptable stop-gap option in Andy Reid's West Coast offense. Smith isn't expected to fetch more than a mid-round pick -- probably a fourth-rounder.
Feb 24 - 5:54 PM

Maybe the Pats are cutting Brady to sign Talib and Smith ?

Careful your Pats obsession is showing through. You do realize that the Pats win the Super Bowl every off-season just because they have Brady?  All Belichick has to do is trot out a JV defense and some smurf receivers and bam AFCCG or SB if some of those guys actually hold on to the ball and the secondary can cover as good as me. Belichick has to be the luckiest HC of all time lucking into the greatest QB of all time in the sixth round. I hope he writes a tell all book when it is over.

In terms of Smith, love the idea of him going to KC. With Reid there, they will totally push the Broncos for the division and could even over take them. I am on the record saying I don't believe the Broncos make the playoffs this year - Manning's arm coulpled with a tougher schedule will make things interesting. I also think Fox is an average HC at best. I am also betting that #18 will prove me wrong but we'll see.

Careful your Pats obsession is showing through. You do realize that the Pats win the Super Bowl every off-season just because they have Brady?  All Belichick has to do is trot out a JV defense and some smurf receivers and bam AFCCG or SB if some of those guys actually hold on to the ball and the secondary can cover as good as me. Belichick has to be the luckiest HC of all time lucking into the greatest QB of all time in the sixth round. I hope he writes a tell all book when it is over.

In terms of Smith, love the idea of him going to KC. With Reid there, they will totally push the Broncos for the division and could even over take them. I am on the record saying I don't believe the Broncos make the playoffs this year - Manning's arm coulpled with a tougher schedule will make things interesting. I also think Fox is an average HC at best. I am also betting that #18 will prove me wrong but we'll see

LOL LOL LOL I was just trying to see if one particular Pat fan  woud bite on that.  Just to be clear on your prediction. You say the Broncos will not make the playoffs and include Manning's arm in the equation. The you "bet" that Manning  will prove you wrong. Hmmm interesting. How can you be wrong on that one ? Will they let you bet stuff like that online or in Vegas ? I'd love to get a little money down on that one. 

what interview? didnt see it D:

I'm hearing reports of the Cardinals being more impressed with Barkley...he just may surprise us and go first overall.

Your thinking AZ will have to trade up to 1.1 to draft Barkley ? IMO , he would have to have an extraordinary pro day to make that happen. If his arm proves to be what most think , I would think that 8 would be a huge reach , let alone first overall. 

Your thinking AZ will have to trade up to 1.1 to draft Barkley ? IMO , he would have to have an extraordinary pro day to make that happen. If his arm proves to be what most think , I would think that 8 would be a huge reach , let alone first overall.

Oops, I keep on thinking the Cardinals have the first overall pick. Yeah he's not going first to the Chiefs and I doubt the Cardinals trade up for him.

LOL LOL LOL I was just trying to see if one particular Pat fan  woud bite on that.  Just to be clear on your prediction. You say the Broncos will not make the playoffs and include Manning's arm in the equation. The you "bet" that Manning  will prove you wrong. Hmmm interesting. How can you be wrong on that one ? Will they let you bet stuff like that online or in Vegas ? I'd love to get a little money down on that one. 

Ha,ha. I took the bait. Yes, I am hedging. I have learned to do that up here for fear of the wrath that will follow. :-) Plus, I like to be right. LOL!

Ha,ha. I took the bait. Yes, I am hedging. I have learned to do that up here for fear of the wrath that will follow. :-) Plus, I like to be right. LOL!

I do agree with your asssessment of Manning. He's a great QB but Im also thinking the same as you. If he losses any more arm strength , IMO , he will no longer can be a top QB. Everyone , including Fox , is expecting PM to be healthier in 2013 . Yea... I've heard the story how it takes time for nerves to regenerate but you also have age working against him. It's different if Brady losses a little arm strength at 36 as he has more arm strength than a guy like PM. 

As far as me being a " Pat hater" ... not really. I respect them for what they are.. a top 5 team in the NFL. Brady is Brady and the coach is smart and Spygate was overblown. 

Nothing wrong with being right either.

Oops, I keep on thinking the Cardinals have the first overall pick. Yeah he's not going first to the Chiefs and I doubt the Cardinals trade up for him.

Kinda thought that's what happened to you. If AZ had a "pair of you know what" they would trade down try to get him somewhere in the 20's. That's assuming his stick doesn't rise after his pro day. I think Arians is nuts. Barkley reminds you of whom ? I bet you said Leinart.

Kinda thought that's what happened to you. If AZ had a "pair of you know what" they would trade down try to get him somewhere in the 20's. That's assuming his stick doesn't rise after his pro day. I think Arians is nuts. Barkley reminds you of whom ? I bet you said Leinart.

Yeah unless he lights it up at his pro day I think it would be wise for them to move down. Taking him so high would just be criminal. Yep, Leinart, Sanchez come to mind. Even Palmer has faded into mediocrity...