Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Mayock positional rankings

A few things I completely disagree with and are illogical to me

1.How is Lacy ahead of Montee Ball after the career Ball had at Wisconsin, heck nevermind the fact that Lacy had the best O Line in the country combined last year

2.How in the heck can Dion Jordan be ahead of Arthur Brown Mingo AND Jarvis Jones?

3.Barrett Jones as the 3rd ranked best Center in the country is nonsense since Eddie Lacy is ranked the number 1 running back in the country

4.Also Ansah ahead of Montgomery?

I'd like to hear why he rated the way he did

1.How is Lacy ahead of Montee Ball after the career Ball had at Wisconsin, heck nevermind the fact that Lacy had the best O Line in the country combined last year

2.How in the heck can Dion Jordan be ahead of Arthur Brown Mingo AND Jarvis Jones?

3.Barrett Jones as the 3rd ranked best Center in the country is nonsense since Eddie Lacy is ranked the number 1 running back in the country

"pre combine rankings" ..  

It's only his opinion....     and Ball played behind a pretty dang good OL for 4 years also at Wisky.

Number 3 is my favorite, but you thinking that Arthur Brown should have been above Jordan was pretty good too.

It's only his opinion....     and Ball played behind a pretty dang good OL for 4 years also at Wisky.

Outside of Travis Frederick that O Line was average this year which also lost Zeitler and Ball was still 3rd in the nation in rushing yards 

Wisconsin runs the ball as much or more than Bama does.    And they do it very well.

In fact Wisky was 11th in the NCAA in rushing last season.    Bama was 12th.

They pump out NFL OLmen every year.     And their OLmen succeed in the NFL...  Wisky backs not so much so.

Carimi, Zeitler, Konz, Moffit, Nagy, ....   all top NFL picks and Wisky linemen.       And the best OT is football is an 07 Wisky alum...   J Thomas.  

It is silly to hold Lacy's OL against him when Ball has had nearly as good a group in the past.   Wisky's OL was not as good this season but in the past it has been spectacular.    And Ball benefited...   as does Lacy.   

No back is worth a dime without a great OL.

Outside of Travis Frederick that O Line was average this year which also lost Zeitler and Ball was still 3rd in the nation in rushing yards 

I am more surprised by Shariff Floyd being listed above Star.  Star has been everywhere from number 1 to number 5 but no lower and Shariff has been as low as 24th when we pick.  That is a big jump.

Floyd has been moving up...a lotta people predicting top 10

1. Big Bruising backs from the Big Ten often fizzle out in the NFL. Ron Dane is an example. Lacy is seen as being a better overall back.

2. Dion Jordan has huge potential. Most are putting him ahead of Brown and Mingo. Not many ahead of Jones though. I think you are putting too much emphasis on production numbers in college. Some of these guys only started one year before entering draft. They might not put up huge career numbers but had a great final season. Remember, these guys are what 19 as freshman?

3. Barret Jones was great for Bama but might not be a stud at any position at the next level. Should be a solid starer though.

4. Same as 2. Ansah looks amazing now and has only played for a few years. With experience he will be a star. Not concerned about his numbers 2 seasons ago.

Montee Ball is a John Fox kind of back. With McGahee's and Moreno's injury issues, the word is they go after Montee Ball if he is around for their 2nd round pick, which I think he will.

Mayock does the best job of all the so called "experts" in my opinion. I like listening to him talk and give his analysis on players. He seems to have a lot of insight and he's usually right in the ball park when it comes to where a player is going to go in the draft. That's all you can hope for is to be in the ball park and he usually is.

1. Big Bruising backs from the Big Ten often fizzle out in the NFL. Ron Dane is an example. Lacy is seen as being a better overall back.

2. Dion Jordan has huge potential. Most are putting him ahead of Brown and Mingo. Not many ahead of Jones though. I think you are putting too much emphasis on production numbers in college. Some of these guys only started one year before entering draft. They might not put up huge career numbers but had a great final season. Remember, these guys are what 19 as freshman?

3. Barret Jones was great for Bama but might not be a stud at any position at the next level. Should be a solid starer though.

4. Same as 2. Ansah looks amazing now and has only played for a few years. With experience he will be a star. Not concerned about his numbers 2 seasons ago.

I'd take a guy that produced any day over potential production its that simple and live with the results, Not worth a 1st round risk if your the Colts in my opinion, if he produces down the road for another team, great for him but he is a project

Remember....    the college game and the NFL game look the same....   but they're not.... 

The NFL game is so much bigger, faster, stronger,  more complex....

So, from a scouting perspective,  it's about projecting to the next level.    Can player 'A' be as dominant on the next level as they were in college?     Or, can that player be even better in the pros with better coaching, and better weight training, etc...

Or....

Is this player likely to have trouble at the next level...   and sometimes it's not because of the game,  but off the field.

How disciplined are they?    Will they show up on time and do the work?    Will they put in extra time and study the tape?  How are they in the locker-room?    Will they be disrespectful to the non-coaches, the staff, the support people, the secretaries?  

Will they get into trouble?   Will they go out drinking and partying?    Will they show-up for practice looking like they barely got any sleep because they were out chasing women all night?    Remember....  most of these kids will have serious, serious money in their pocket for the first time in their lives...   They feel the need to spend some of it...   new car,  new clothes,  new bling,   new lady(s)... 

It's why Grigson puts so much stock into Character.    He wants players who will stay focused all season long on football.   It's easier said than done.   If you wonder why the flashy kid you loved in college gets passed over by Grigson,  (see Jenkins, Janoris)   here's your reason.

Just some food for thought.....

Remember.... the college game and the NFL game look the same.... but they're not....

The NFL game is so much bigger, faster, stronger, more complex....

So, from a scouting perspective, it's about projecting to the next level. Can player 'A' be as dominant on the next level as they were in college? Or, can that player be even better in the pros with better coaching, and better weight training, etc...

Or....

Is this player likely to have trouble at the next level... and sometimes it's not because of the game, but off the field.

How disciplined are they? Will they show up on time and do the work? Will they put in extra time and study the tape? How are they in the locker-room? Will they be disrespectful to the non-coaches, the staff, the support people, the secretaries?

Will they get into trouble? Will they go out drinking and partying? Will they show-up for practice looking like they barely got any sleep because they were out chasing women all night? Remember.... most of these kids will have serious, serious money in their pocket for the first time in their lives... They feel the need to spend some of it... new car, new clothes, new bling, new lady(s)...

It's why Grigson puts so much stock into Character. He wants players who will stay focused all season long on football. It's easier said than done. If you wonder why the flashy kid you loved in college gets passed over by Grigson, (see Jenkins, Janoris) here's your reason.

Just some food for thought.....

I still regret us not taking Janoris Jenkins AKA the best cb that was in the draft in my eyes , he had steal written all over him in the 2nd round. And he proved that on the field this year as well

I still regret us not taking Janoris Jenkins AKA the best cb that was in the draft in my eyes , he had steal written all over him in the 2nd round. And he proved that on the field this year as well

No question....   he looked every bit the part of a 1st round pick this year....     but that's one year.

Now...    how will he do in the off-season?    When he's got time, and money, and no place to be at a certain time....   it's an invitation to trouble...

Then,  how will he be the following year and the year after that....    Remember,  a team can't offer an extension until after the first three years of the rookie contract....    Janoris has to wait for his next deal with really big money. 

All sorts of things can go wrong between now and then....    all sorts of things...

The pick looks great for St. Louis.....      now.    But there's a long time between right now and and the kid's next contract....

Just sayin....

No question....   he looked every bit the part of a 1st round pick this year....     but that's one year.

Now...    how will he do in the off-season?    When he's got time, and money, and no place to be at a certain time....   it's an invitation to trouble...

Then,  how will he be the following year and the year after that....    Remember,  a team can't offer an extension until after the first three years of the rookie contract....    Janoris has to wait for his next deal with really big money. 

All sorts of things can go wrong between now and then....    all sorts of things...

The pick looks great for St. Louis.....      now.    But there's a long time between right now and and the kid's next contract....

Just sayin....

thats with every player though coming into the league. He was just in love with Mary Jane. he wasn't out getting DUI's, dishordly conduct, or nothing like that. Pat Mcafee was arrested for public intoxication and went swimming in a canal with a BAL twice the legal limit but we just gloss over that.

I'm just happy to hear from Mayock.....and other draft analysts....that the "trench" positions are the deepest in this coming draft.

But knowing how Ryan Grigson drafted last year after taking Luck, which we knew was a slam dunk anyway, also tells me that our GM...more importantly than any analyst....saw the same depth of quality coming at these OL/DL positions this year.

Grigson and his scouting staff gets paid to think ahead....and between working the salary cap and flushing most of the dead money out this past season and knocking out several skill positions in last year's draft, we have maximum flexibility to take advantage of this OL/DL depth that there is in this year's draft, as well as whoever Grigs may like in free agency. There's several reasons in addition to our 11-5 record that this guy won Executive of the Year and these are those reasons.

I'm trying to be cautious in my enthusiasm but I'm gonna enjoy the heck out of watching this off-season of personnel work by Grigson.

Because we've never had this combination of youth, cap space for free agents and a draft class that apparently has 3-4 rounds of value at several of our need positions.

thats with every player though coming into the league. He was just in love with Mary Jane. he wasn't out getting DUI's, dishordly conduct, or nothing like that. Pat Mcafee was arrested for public intoxication and went swimming in a canal with a BAL twice the legal limit but we just gloss over that.

If you're under the impression that Jenkins fell out of the first round simply due to marijuana, I believe you're badly, badly mistaken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janoris_Jenkins

It was more the marijuana

fights in 2009 and marijuana

Hey I wanted him but as the saying goes the best ability is availability and if for any reason Grigson or Pagano had doubts then you have to go with that instinct right or wrong, there is no room for 2nd guessing yourself over and over and over about what might be if he stays clean or what Pagano and Grigson were going to do if he did not, Would I have drafted him? Probably,  Well for me it was down to Cordy Glenn, J Jenkins and Upshaw

Hey I wanted him but as the saying goes the best ability is availability and if for any reason Grigson or Pagano had doubts then you have to go with that instinct right or wrong, there is no room for 2nd guessing yourself over and over and over about what might be if he stays clean or what Pagano and Grigson were going to do if he did not, Would I have drafted him? Probably,  Well for me it was down to Cordy Glenn, J Jenkins and Upshaw

my point was it could happen to any player not just the ones with the background,even a Punter, Mcafee got in trouble during the season he didn't even wait until the offseason.

"About 70 percent" of prospects at the combine admitted to using marijuana, per an ESPN report. it just Jenkins got caught a few times by the legal system. i don't like the marijuana usage but it just a epidemic in the league, but I can live with the fights thats what 19-20yr olds do at that age for some reason. as long as he proved to be over that which he hadn't been in a fight since 2009. your taking a chance on any player you draft

I definitely hear you on Cordy Glenn....he was my top choice for the 2nd round, but overall I have no complaints over Grigson's first draft.

Sure, it would have been nice to see Coby Fleener healthy all season and for him to have more impact...but him not being in there all the time gave Luck no choice but to rely on his full compliment of receiving targets. I believe he would have done that anyway having seen enough of him in Stanford games...nor did I buy very much into that "security blanket" label Fleener was slapped with.

Anyway....that draft worked out way better than we all thought it would and we look poised to take care of those OG/OLB/CB upgrades.

NFL Network's Mike Mayock on Darius Slay: "I put the tape on to watch
Banks ... and my eye kept going to the other kid. I liked him a lot."

i haven't paid no attention to CB Darius Slay but if he caught Mayock's attention while studying CB Banks, Slay must had been doing something right.

my point was it could happen to any player not just the ones with the background,even a Punter, Mcafee got in trouble during the season he didn't even wait until the offseason.

"About 70 percent" of prospects at the combine admitted to using marijuana, per an ESPN report. it just Jenkins got caught a few times by the legal system. i don't like the marijuana usage but it just a epidemic in the league, but I can live with the fights thats what 19-20yr olds do at that age for some reason. as long as he proved to be over that which he hadn't been in a fight since 2009. your taking a chance on any player you draft

Agree

Mike Mayock said Georgia DT John Jenkins will be available in the 2nd round. He also likes Brandon Williams in 2nd.

my man Brandon Williams jumped up all the way to the 2nd round.

lol its all a guess at this point, its hard to jump when your not playing any games and no combine yet, Its all in one ear and out the other until the combine for me

Maybe he has it in his head we are most definitly going forward with Hughes as our rush linebacker?, I personally dont like any of those at 24 Banks, if in fact we dont go OLB in the first then I'd consider:

1.Rhodes

2.Warford

3.Barrett Jones

Other then that Im trading down 

fights in 2009 and marijuana

And that's the public stuff....    you don't know what the NFL teams dug up on the guy behind the scenes....  the stuff that rarely becomes public...

Also...   and this is something that did become public...  as of the month right before he was drafted,  he had 4 kids by 3 different women...    certainly not in the same neighborhood of Antonio Cromartic who has 9 kids with 7 or 8 women,  but Jenkins is much younger and has time to catch up!   That was on an ESPN profile of JJ that I saw....

Hey...  on the field,  I love 'em.   He's clearly got serious talent....    but off the field,  he's a train wreck waiting to happen....

And that's the public stuff....    you don't know what the NFL teams dug up on the guy behind the scenes....  the stuff that rarely becomes public...

Also...   and this is something that did become public...  as of the month right before he was drafted,  he had 4 kids by 3 different women...    certainly not in the same neighborhood of Antonio Cromartic who has 9 kids with 7 or 8 women,  but Jenkins is much younger and has time to catch up!   That was on an ESPN profile of JJ that I saw....

Hey...  on the field,  I love 'em.   He's clearly got serious talent....    but off the field,  he's a train wreck waiting to happen....

what does his kids have anything to do with it. he has to take care of them and football is the way he can provide