Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Power Run Game Needs a Power Runner

Vick Ballard.

Ballard is our power runner.      I don't know why you'd think otherwise?

He's mostly a runner that is comfortable running tackle to tackle.    He can run outside, but that's more the exception than the rule and teams are more caught off guard by it.

He's roughly 5'11" and 220 and likes contact and pushes the pile.    Not sure what more you want?

Put another way,  if it's not Ballard,  then the player is not on the roster right now.

I do not agree at all and I do agree with others that say Ballard is a power runner. To have a power running game we need a powerful O-line. With a good powerful O-line that is good at blocking, then even a guy like Donald Brown can be very effective. 

Balzer40, on 07 Feb 2013 - 12:57, said:

I do not agree at all and I do agree with others that say Ballard is a power runner. To have a power running game we need a powerful O-line. With a good powerful O-line that is good at blocking, then even a guy like Donald Brown can be very effective.

+1.

In some ways, with the Pep's roots going back to Stanford and ties with Harbaugh, the Niners have what we may be thinking about. Frank Gore is a between the tackle runner, while Lamicheal James is the change-of-pace back.

We currently have that with Ballard between the tackles and Brown as the change-of-pace back.

What we don't have is a lince comparable to the Niner's O-line.

Today's NFL gotta have 3 backs.    And 3 that can "Rock and Roll" in between the T's ...

Ballard is a given.     Brown and Carter?   I really like them both and they will be cheap but..........   ???

RB will be a very interesting roster spot this off season.     IMO, I think Indy will keep both Brown and Carter.  

No reason why except for the simple fact both are here and cost little.

Ballard, Brown, and Carter....   I can live with it.

I think that Ballard can handle the job if the line improves and I like Carter's potential but it wouldn't hurt to have another plus-220 pound back. One option might be Rashard Mendenhall. He is coming off an knee injury but, if healthy, he's a 225 pound, tough inside runner who the Steelers may be releasing for CAP reasons. The Colts offiensive line coach was at Illinois when Mendenhall has his breakout junior season so there is a connection. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Colts go after Roman Foster (G) if the Steelers release him as well, to help build a new power running offensive line. My first choice is Vasquez from SD but Foster wouldn't be a bad pick up either.

I think that Ballard can handle the job if the line improves and I like Carter's potential but it wouldn't hurt to have another plus-220 pound back. One option might be Rashard Mendenhall. He is coming off an knee injury but, if healthy, he's a 225 pound, tough inside runner who the Steelers may be releasing for CAP reasons. The Colts offiensive line coach was at Illinois when Mendenhall has his breakout junior season so there is a connection. I also wouldn't mind seeing the Colts go after Roman Foster (G) if the Steelers release him as well, to help build a new power running offensive line. My first choice is Vasquez from SD but Foster wouldn't be a bad pick up either.

It would be sweet to get Vasquez and Foster, then draft Eric Fisher for RT... nobody on the line will know each other, but they would be young, ultra talented and affordable in the short term... This would be the way to become a power running team... you could put Luke Lawton behind Fisher, Vasquez, Shipley, Foster, Castanzo, and have more success than what the Colts had this year running the football.

You nailed it .

The running game is gonna be different opinions will change as a cohesive o-line takes the field . Vick Ballard rushed for I believe 860 yrds last season & had some pretty great moments the dive into the end zone was all about being a winner which he is put a O-line that pushs the defense back & create holes & the dude will be a star .  MJD gets lost amongst the trees with great success . So with a WCO & new OC Pep Hamilton I expect the RB's the Colts have will do pretty good . Our need is to solidify the FB position .

Today's NFL gotta have 3 backs.    And 3 that can "Rock and Roll" in between the T's ...

Ballard is a given.     Brown and Carter?   I really like them both and they will be cheap but..........   ???

RB will be a very interesting roster spot this off season.     IMO, I think Indy will keep both Brown and Carter.  

No reason why except for the simple fact both are here and cost little.

Ballard, Brown, and Carter....   I can live with it.

Lets not under sell Brown and even Carter. As much as I was impressed by Ballard, lets not forget how well Brown was running the ball before getting hurt for the season. He was showing burst and getting to the outside better than he ever had in years past. Also, when given the chance, I can't remember Carter not getting that 1 yard we needed. Like everyone is saying - If we sure up that o-line, we might see a very solid running game in the near future, opening up a lot of options for Luck and our offense.

The highlighted text is the key.   Gotta stay in the game.    Brown and Carter are less than reliable right now.

But they are here, and that is an advantage.

Lets not under sell Brown and even Carter. As much as I was impressed by Ballard, lets not forget how well Brown was running the ball before getting hurt for the season. He was showing burst and getting to the outside better than he ever had in years past. Also, when given the chance, I can't remember Carter not getting that 1 yard we needed. Like everyone is saying - If we sure up that o-line, we might see a very solid running game in the near future, opening up a lot of options for Luck and our offense.

The highlighted text is the key.   Gotta stay in the game.    Brown and Carter are less than reliable right now.

But they are here, and that is an advantage.

Injuries are unpredictable and inevitable in the NFL - especially at the RB position, so that's not really fair to say.

Agreed. Brown was running pretty well before he went down. I'm still interested in seeing what he can do behind a better line. All he needs is more opportunities to hit more open field and he can make plays.