Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Latest Hint on Colts' Free Agency.....

NewColtsFan

10-11! wow

Only ones I want back are McAfee, Karim, and Butler & Powers it the backup / situational CB spots.

I had my fill of Powers, some fans overrate him alot, he is a Nickel Corner nothing else, he would get and has gotten abused as a #1 and now a #2, Butler replaced him with relative ease in my opinion but I can name others that should be resigned in my opinion for depth with a couple having potential to start

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking the bank on high priced FAs has proven NOT to be the best business model for the NFL. The team he is leaving already got the max value out of him. (cost/benefit payoff). I am a fan of signing solid, mid-level FAs to upgrade deficiencies on our roster. The only way I personally want to pay a superstar big money in FA if it is re-signing our own. Go draft your superstars.

I'm not saying go the money ball route. However, something along that line. Just maximize the dollar.

As mentioned in another thread, if we are too far below that number, it will be VERY hard to reach 89% through the period. We would have to leave ourselves with minimum cap space for the final year.

Doesn't really matter even if you don't hit that number. You just cut a check to make up the shortage in 2016. That's better than giving out a bad contract that could hurt your cap moving forward.

Doesn't really matter even if you don't hit that number. You just cut a check to make up the shortage in 2016. That's better than giving out a bad contract that could hurt your cap moving forward.

I don't expect Grigson to make a bad deal, and until he makes one I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt, lol.

The Colts have traditionally spent very little time, energy and money dabbling in Free Agency, and I for one hope that trend continues. Do it in the draft and with post-draft unsigned talent as we always have. Grigs can spot it and bring it in on the cheap - NFL virgins - guys who are a perfect fit for our system. Bring the guys up right from day one as COLTS - with all the integrity, class, style and grace that COLTS fans have been known to expect, love and appreciate. 

Forget Free Agency for the most part - maybe a little dabbling here and there....

Trust the Grigs....

ColtsHappy

Any chance this was the PR guy:  dana-carvey-bush-sr_zps2adaa1c1.png

Not gunna do it.  Wouldn't be prudent.

I unliked this just so I could like it again. 

With that said, I pray to the flying spaghetti monster that we do SOMETHING in free agency to shore up our shambled offensive line.... 3-4 year veterans that can perform cohesively are key.

Draft for the defense. DBs and D-Line are needs, especially if/when we let.... *tear* Freeney go.

The Colts have traditionally spent very little time, energy and money dabbling in Free Agency, and I for one hope that trend continues. Do it in the draft and with post-draft unsigned talent as we always have. Grigs can spot it and bring it in on the cheap - NFL virgins - guys who are a perfect fit for our system. Bring the guys up right from day one as COLTS - with all the integrity, class, style and grace that COLTS fans have been known to expect, love and appreciate. 

Forget Free Agency for the most part - maybe a little dabbling here and there....

Trust the Grigs....

ColtsHappy

And that philosophy brought us one SB with arguably the best QB of his era......maybe it's time to try it another way...

This type of behaviour is not exclusive to teenagers....as BHC glances sideways at his sleeping wife.....

I don't think we'll sign a BIG name, but i have a feeling we'll sing a LONG one....

I sure hope you are wrong about the LONG one (if you are referring to Jake) .. I don't see any prudence in signing the most expensive FA for the one position on OL that has a solid, young and inexpensive starter in place.. I think AC played well this season and will be a good (not elite, but good enough) LT for years.. if the Colts do sign a LT I would be very upset..

Trust the Grigs....

ColtsHappy

I think Grigson blew that philosophy out the window last season. He showed he's not afraid to go after guys that he thinks will improve the roster. I do still think that you build the core of your team through the draft, but unlike Polian, it is also ok to supplement your roster through free agency, especially when you 46 million dollars at your disposal.

That's what I'm saying. We aren't stacked at all at the WR position IMO. We could use a big time WR.

well honestly we are stacked at "receivers" we have Ty and reggie at wr..haven seen much of brazil yet but I'm sure he'll produce..and we've drafted the two top tightends of last years draft who can also catch as good as any other wr we have (ofc not reggie) wco will use more tightend formations anyway so until reggie Wayne is fully on his way out no need for a big named wr we're fine STAY FOCUSED ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!! >:)

well honestly we are stacked at "receivers" we have Ty and reggie at wr..haven seen much of brazil yet but I'm sure he'll produce..and we've drafted the two top tightends of last years draft who can also catch as good as any other wr we have (ofc not reggie) wco will use more tightend formations anyway so until reggie Wayne is fully on his way out no need for a big named wr we're fine STAY FOCUSED ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!! >:)

OLine may be a top priority, but there are lots of places the Colts can and should look to improve. No need or benefit to spending too much in any one place, when the team has significant resources and a GM inclined to spend wisely.

OLine may be a top priority, but there are lots of places the Colts can and should look to improve. No need or benefit to spending too much in any one place, when the team has significant resources and a GM inclined to spend wisely.

yes I understand that but everyone speaking of upgrading wr needs to change their mindset oline/ss/#2 corner/olb should mainly be focused on we're pretty much set on most positions

yes I understand that but everyone speaking of upgrading wr needs to change their mindset oline/ss/#2 corner/olb should mainly be focused on we're pretty much set on most positions

I disagree that WR can't or shouldn't be upgraded. It just isn't a top priority.

I disagree that WR can't or shouldn't be upgraded. It just isn't a top priority.

Exactly.  If we let Avery walk we are going to have to do something at WR.  We would only have three on the roster who played last year. 

Maybe that move is just giving a guy like Whalen a chance, or re-signing a Collie on the cheap and giving him one more chance, or something small but they can't go into next year with just three proven WRs on the roster. 

With that said if the Colts feel good about their o-line needs and defensive needs going into the draft and a big play WR is looking them in the face in the first round don't be shocked if the Colts pull the trigger on him.  They are going to have to get the guy who will take Reggie's spot at some point so if they come across that guy this year and they think he's the best player on their board when they draft they might very well do it. 

well honestly we are stacked at "receivers" we have Ty and reggie at wr..haven seen much of brazil yet but I'm sure he'll produce..and we've drafted the two top tightends of last years draft who can also catch as good as any other wr we have (ofc not reggie) wco will use more tightend formations anyway so until reggie Wayne is fully on his way out no need for a big named wr we're fine STAY FOCUSED ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!! > :)

We have some good WRs but we are hardly stacked.  If one or two of our WRs go down we don't have anything behind them.  It's not like MLB where we have four guys who pretty much play two spots on any given play.  With that said it doesn't make WRs the biggest priority of the off-season because it's not but it's still a bit of a need depending on what they do with Avery. 

Again, O-line without question is our biggest need but it's not our ONLY need.  So if the Colts make a move to address another need doesn't mean that it's a bad move just because it's not o-line and it doesn't mean they aren't focused on the o-line either.  It just means they were in position to get a guy who can address a need.  When they are in a position to address the o-line need you can believe they are going to do it. 

Or it could hurt you by not taking any chances, who thought Danny Amendola was gonna blow up in St. Louis? Not me.

Rather take a couple long shorts, (like Garcon was coming out of Mount union) than cut a check because we were too scared too.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so I am not sure why everyone here is so set on just cutting a check for the difference. I would be rather disappointed in managements inability to find talented players, than be content with not having made a mistake.

Or it could hurt you by not taking any chances, who thought Danny Amendola was gonna blow up in St. Louis? Not me.

Rather take a couple long shorts, (like Garcon was coming out of Mount union) than cut a check because we were too scared too.

NFL contracts are not guaranteed, so I am not sure why everyone here is so set on just cutting a check for the difference. I would be rather disappointed in managements inability to find talented players, than be content with not having made a mistake.

All I'm saying is that we don't have to meet a salary floor.

well honestly we are stacked at "receivers" we have Ty and reggie at wr..haven seen much of brazil yet but I'm sure he'll produce..and we've drafted the two top tightends of last years draft who can also catch as good as any other wr we have (ofc not reggie) wco will use more tightend formations anyway so until reggie Wayne is fully on his way out no need for a big named wr we're fine STAY FOCUSED ON THE OFFENSIVE LINE!!! > :)

I disagree. WR NEEDS to be addressed this offseason and I am almost certain it will. According to you we have two wr's who have proven anything, and one who you THINK will. Having two wr's is not going to cut it. Also, you mentioned that we drafted two TE's, while that is true only one of them (Allen) has proven to be a reliable target thus far. I do have confidence that Fleener will pan out though. 

I for one just hope we can add another PROVEN and RELIABLE target unlike Avery was. JMO. :blueshoe:

I disagree. WR NEEDS to be addressed this offseason and I am almost certain it will. According to you we have two wr's who have proven anything, and one who you THINK will. Having two wr's is not going to cut it. Also, you mentioned that we drafted two TE's, while that is true only one of them (Allen) has proven to be a reliable target thus far. I do have confidence that Fleener will pan out though.

I for one just hope we can add another PROVEN and RELIABLE target unlike Avery was. JMO. :blueshoe:

I agree. Two WR isn't going to cut it. Especially if we let Avery go. If we let him go, WR is a BIG priority along with Oline IMO.

I agree. Two WR isn't going to cut it. Especially if we let Avery go. If we let him go, WR is a BIG priority along with Oline IMO.

How do we only have 2 WR's? We have Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen, And Kelley. Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, and Palmer all played last season and have experience. Even if we don't resign Avery, WR is no where near a big priorty.

Trust the Grigs....

ColtsHappy

Yes but there are typically some guys that can be brought in to help in certain situations. I like the idea of bringing in a 3-4 OLB who has played in this type of defense before and there are a few good ones that will be available.

How do we only have 2 WR's? We have Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen, And Kelley. Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, and Palmer all played last season and have experience. Even if we don't resign Avery, WR is no where near a big priorty.

finally someone understands lol just because the others haven't played much doesn't mean they aren't great players but people need to realize that our tightends are considered receivers too so there's no reason to stress that we need more receivers

I agree with Balzer and will426.  Not every day does a TY Hilton step onto the field as a rookie and show flashes of brilliance.  Brazill was higher rated than TY.  This kid is an athlete, and can take a hit...and dish it out on special teams too! (And LOVES special teams)

In addition, Palmer was the 49ers best WR in the preseason last year.  Google it....Griff Whalen had a Collie-Esque pre-season before injury.  We still have Reggie, and if we want can re-sign Collie (unlikely) or Avery.  We have a draft and FA where we will go BPA and hopefully use a common sense fiscal approach (NOTE:  Big money NOT to be used for WR :))

The Colts are in a unique position.....Players WANT to come here....maybe we get some very good players at reasonable prices and go for the Lombardi????   :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts:  :colts:  :coltsfb:  :coltsfb: !!!!

I don't think just sticking with Brazill, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen, and Kelley is a winning plan. Avery's hands are not reliable enough either. If somehow Collie's leg is healed and can remain that way, I think we're fine. He was a top WR a few years ago. But it's not smart to rely on a player that's had injury issues the last few years. Sign him cheap if he passes his physical.

Signing another productive, proven WR would be the smart thing to do. He doesn't have to be a high paid super star but if we did sign 1 he could be Wayne's eventual replacement.

Keep Brazill and Whalen in case we get hit with injuries at WR.

I would like to see Grigson go in a direction that Polian didn't quite commit to. There needs to be balance for Andrew Luck and I'm talking about making sure that the line of scrimmage becomes a place where you understand that you need top talent. I think Grigson understands that. Polian did a great job with skill position players but tried to get by with what he could on the defenive interior and the offensive interior. We have to commit to getting top players into those areas.

I don't think just sticking with Brazill, Palmer, Sambrano, Whalen, and Kelley is a winning plan. Avery's hands are not reliable enough either. If somehow Collie's leg is healed and can remain that way, I think we're fine. He was a top WR a few years ago. But it's not smart to rely on a player that's had injury issues the last few years. Sign him cheap if he passes his physical.

Signing another productive, proven WR would be the smart thing to do. He doesn't have to be a high paid super star but if we did sign 1 he could be Wayne's eventual replacement.

I was just basically saying that we are not bare at the WR position. Some people seem to think we are and it simply isn't true. Look at what we into the yr. with last season. We started the yr. with 2 rookie TE's, 3 rookie WR's(Hilton Brazill, and Adams), a guy that had been injured and barely played in 2 yrs.(Avery) and Reggie. Yet, Luck threw to those guys for over 4000 yds. and set all kinds of rookie passing records.

This yr. we may not address the WR position at all and all those rookie's have a yr. of experience and will only get better. I'm not saying that we absolutely will not bring in another WR, but if we do I think it will be a young guy that will be very cheap or just another draft pick. In no way, shape, or form is WR a big priority or anything even close to a priority IMO. I honestly believe we very well could just stick with what we have right now and roll with it.

I think we are thinking the same way...no need to break the bank.  Good stuff by you and Balzer...I really think Brazill is an unfinished gem...and I think Palmer may surprise....I personally will take a wait and see on the big boy Kelley.....

I was just basically saying that we are not bare at the WR position. Some people seem to think we are and it simply isn't true. Look at what we into the yr. with last season. We started the yr. with 2 rookie TE's, 3 rookie WR's(Hilton Brazill, and Adams), a guy that had been injured and barely played in 2 yrs.(Avery) and Reggie. Yet, Luck threw to those guys for over 4000 yds. and set all kinds of rookie passing records.

This yr. we may not address the WR position at all and all those rookie's have a yr. of experience and will only get better. I'm not saying that we absolutely will not bring in another WR, but if we do I think it will be a young guy that will be very cheap or just another draft pick. In no way, shape, or form is WR a big priority or anything even close to a priority IMO. I honestly believe we very well could just stick with what we have right now and roll with it.

I agree we're not bare or desperate for a WR. Signing another 1 would be smart though, with a huge cap and being obligated to spend almost all of it, we could make our receiving core very deep and dangerous. Plus it would be a move for the future. This years cap makes it a good time to spend for the future.we can get Reggie's replacement now. ( or move Hilton to #1 and sign our future #2)

I wouldn't want to rely on Brazill or Whalen at #2 or slot as starters, but are perfect for depth in case of injury.

I think we can fill our holes on the Oline, DB, and maybe a " luxury" signing or 2.

I think we are thinking the same way...no need to break the bank.  Good stuff by you and Balzer...I really think Brazill is an unfinished gem...and I think Palmer may surprise....I personally will take a wait and see on the big boy Kelley.....

There really no wrong way to look at this. Both approaches have positives and negatives. There's many ways to balance it all.

I agree we're not bare or desperate for a WR. Signing another 1 would be smart though, with a huge cap and being obligated to spend almost all of it, we could make our receiving core very deep and dangerous. Plus it would be a move for the future. This years cap makes it a good time to spend for the future.we can get Reggie's replacement now. ( or move Hilton to #1 and sign our future #2)

I wouldn't want to rely on Brazill or Whalen at #2 or slot as starters, but are perfect for depth in case of injury.

I think we can fill our holes on the Oline, DB, and maybe a " luxury" signing or 2.

After we address the O-line and a couple spots on defense, I have thrown the name out there several times, but Ramses Bardin IMO would be a good cheap pickup. He's 6'6" 230 lbs and only 26 yrs. old. I'm not convinced we'll sign a WR but Bardin wouldn't be a bad pickup IMO.

After we address the O-line and a couple spots on defense, I have thrown the name out there several times, but Ramses Bardin IMO would be a good cheap pickup. He's 6'6" 230 lbs and only 26 yrs. old. I'm not convinced we'll sign a WR but Bardin wouldn't be a bad pickup IMO.

I had to google him to make sure he's a WR, wow he's huge. I wonder how reliable his hands are and how fast he is?