Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck expects 'hybrid' Colts' offense in 2013

Captain Americolt

Per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130680/article/andrew-luck-expects-hybrid-colts-offense-in-2013

The Colts made the playoffs with an aggressive, downfield passing attack directed by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The newly hired Arizona Cardinals coach doesn't dink-and-dunk, and he loves to talk about not coming home with any bullets left in the gun. The Colts hired former Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, who ran the West Coast offense, to replace Arians.

"I think it will be a hybrid," Luck said during a teleconference from the Pro Bowl on Thursday. "There's so many great things that coach Arians taught us, coached us up on. I think Pep has some really great stuff that he knows and he coached. I think we're going to do whatever gives us the best chance to win, whether it is chunk the ball, or the short stuff, we'll figure it out.

Edited by 21isSuperman
Please don't copy/paste the entire article as it causes copyright issues

The week after the Colt's season was over, Luck traveled back to California, training at Stanford. That's also when Arian's took the Arizona head coaching job, and Pep Hamilton was hired as the OC. I am sure that when Pep returned to Stanford from Oregon, he and Luck met and they probably already started talking about the "new Colt's offense," and what they could keep from Arian's system and what they should include with Pep Hamilton's system.

The "hybrid offense" is great news, because I do not want the Colts to be conservative. Yes, I think we all felt that we could have used more roll-outs and shorter passes in certain games, but I did like it that we were a big-play offense. This, to me, is the best of both worlds. We can be a more accurate and effective offense, while retaining the killer instincts.

I also like that Luck and the existing Colt's players will help to mold the new offense. I'm excited to see it.

Per NFL.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000130680/article/andrew-luck-expects-hybrid-colts-offense-in-2013

The Colts made the playoffs with an aggressive, downfield passing attack directed by offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. The newly hired Arizona Cardinals coach doesn't dink-and-dunk, and he loves to talk about not coming home with any bullets left in the gun. The Colts hired former Stanford offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton, who ran the West Coast offense, to replace Arians.

"I think it will be a hybrid," Luck said during a teleconference from the Pro Bowl on Thursday. "There's so many great things that coach Arians taught us, coached us up on. I think Pep has some really great stuff that he knows and he coached. I think we're going to do whatever gives us the best chance to win, whether it is chunk the ball, or the short stuff, we'll figure it out.

"I think it'll be important this offseason to create strong dialogue between the players and coaches about what we think works and what we think doesn't."

The hiring of Hamilton obviously sits well with Luck. He was the Heisman runner-up under Hamilton's direction.

"He's a great quality human being," Luck said. "He's going to work his butt off on the game plan, on football. I've always had a great relationship with him."

The one thing Luck is most focused on this offseason: accuracy. He completed just 54.1 percent of his passes as a rookie. Shorter routes in the West Coast system could help in that area.

"I think accuracy in all levels of passing, whether it's deep, short, intermediate," Luck said. "Just giving guys accurate balls that they can catch and run with, that'll be very important. I think just building up a rapport with receivers and making sure that maybe what we couldn't complete last year, we are completing this year."

I'm 1 very happy COLTS fan ,  When BA missed the last game I began wondering who could we possibly get to replace him of course for me it was Tom Moore  deja vu ala Peyton Manning history repeating itself , hell yeah right .

With all the talk about head coachs several maybe making the jump to the NFL , It did'nt occur to me to think we might go in that direction . But in retrospect looking at Pep Hamilton  the more I read about him the more I realize Ryan Grigson may have struck gold . 

Andrew Luck  did pretty good in BA's offense & I can just see Pep & 12  huddled up in a film room like a couple of mad scientist's checkin out 2012 game film , Taking what works & adding to what they had in there old play book , Stirring the pot adding a few offensive line men & a lil shorter passing game with some smash mouth run the ball down there throats , Bring on the WCO  :dance:I believe our young guns on offense will benefit greatly, a fresh young coach fired up ready to prove his self with a QB that is on the same page with him before training camp even starts . :thmup:

Now as always since the day Tony Dungy arrived I once again hope for the D to improve  ,

DC Manusky got * last year because he expected a lil extra help players wise ,  Maybe this year he gets  a few impact players . Plus  a healthy Chuck Pagano to mentor Manusky maybe our D will be able to stop or at least limit RB's from opposing teams too less than say 200 yrds . " sarcasm "  I'm absolutely sick of watching the run D , For years its been pitiful & this year it better change or Manusky will be out after 2013 &  lucky to get a job at Ben Davis .

I recall just after the Peyton decision was announced, and Andrew was obviously the guy, there were a few posts of videos of the Stanford offense under Luck.

A couple showed Luck audibling multiple times prior to the snap count.

I seemed that there were 5 - 6 shifting at once.

Can't imagine we'll get that elaborate here, but it will be interesting to see what it becomes.

Another season of not knowing what to expect though.

Maybe we might get some pistol formations peppered in. I'm not familiar with Pep's offense so I'm not sure if this is something he did at Stanford or not, but with the success it's had this season it'd be something useful to add in.

We got the pistol formation, the shotgun formation. I want to see a gatlingun formation!

....   found this story on NFL.com....

But, in it's own way, it comes right from Colts.com....

Luck spoke with Indy reporters via conference call from Hawaii...  and he spoke about his thoughts on what to expect in 2013.....

Some very, very interesting stuff....    surprised it hasn't been posted yet....

Read on and enjoy!

I think Pep will cater to Andrew much more than Arians. Arians has his own way of running things and seems IMO more of a "my way or the highway," guy. However, one of Lucks supposed weakness was that deepball and because of Arians and his scheme he had plenty of practice and developed a nice deepball, even though I think it's always been there. Luck has a complete game, with a better offensive line and a system that caters more to Luck & the overall offense in general, plus combining positive facets of what the Colts did under Arians should make this one incredibly scary offense for other teams. You also add in an improvement in accuracy and lower the interceptions this could be a top teir offense.

Couple years down the road this offense can be a juggernaut with little weaknesses if done right. Add in a juggernaut defense and you have a DARN scary monster. Team is full of rookies and was thrown together from a scrapped team, regardless of the supposed cupcake schedule they made the playoffs. This team can only get better for years, pretty freaky.

I loved the deep passing game..but we are equipped to dink and dunk too....with our speed and Reggie...

The best thing here is that our new coordinator and our QB know each other well and can work together...

That's not the case everywhere...

Short, quick pops...will keep Andrew from getting beat on so much.....which is a priority

It seems like we'll be doing a lot of short quick strikes and slants ala Peyton manning and Drew Brees ...

Per NFL.com

i love the air it out go for the long ball type offense. i cant stand the WCO. hopefully they do mix it up. 

I think what the Falcons have been doing on offense can be a great fit for Luck and the intermediate level of personel that he'll be surrounded with: a less bluntly aggressive type of vertical offense. Doesn't hurt that I always think of Andrew as a much more stoutly built and athletic Matt Ryan.

I'm a Stanford fan who's watched Luck since his redshirt sophomore year. IMO Greg Roman's and Pep's system there would be a tad too timid for the NFL and Luck's currently proven ability.