Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're not switching to a running first offense RIGHT?

AllYouNeedIsLuck

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No....   I'm confident in saying we will not be a running game first type offense.    We might a bit more, and a bit differently, but we will not be running the Stanford offense.

Put another way....  This past season the colts were a 60/40 pass/run offense.   While Stanford was roughly the opposite.

Next season the Colts will not be a 60/40 running offense.   No chance.   Not in todays NFL.

Running the football is an attitude.  Running the ball also requires the knowledge that running the football is an integral part of a successful team.  New England has Tom Brady and can run the football whenever the OC or Tom decide it's time to run the ball.  Put 8 men in the box and Tom will throw the ball.  Bring in 6 defensive backs and the Patriots will run the ball.  And sometimes the Pats will run the ball when there are 8 men in the box, when they need a couple of yards.  And get them.

When the Colts put a whuppin on the Pats I have a very good week.  But give Billychuck credit, his teams can run the ball when they need a couple of yards and you know they are going to run the ball.  How many games did the Colts lose because they could not get one or two lousy yards running the ball?  One notable game was when the Colts were on the 2 yard line, handed the ball off to Edge and McGinnis  stopped him short of the goal line.  Two yards to score a TD and win the game.  Couldn't run the ball 2 lousy yards. 

One game against the Bolts we needed one first down to win the game and could not run the ball and get a first down.  Needed a yard.  The Bolts won the game and we had to sit and watch Philip Rivers smirk, we own you Colts. 

I don't care who the Colts sign as O line coach.  But it better be a man who can teach the O line how to get those 2 yards when the other team knows you are gonna run the ball, or the Colts will wind up with the one SB ring they have now. 

That's simply not our game. We need to use the run game as little as possible just to make the passing game better.

Thats a terrible idea. I'm not saying we'll be a run first team, but to say we need to use the run game as little as possible is just completely off base. We need to be a more balanced attack for our passing game to be effective.

Thats a terrible idea. I'm not saying we'll be a run first team, but to say we need to use the run game as little as possible is just completely off base. We need to be a more balanced attack for our passing game to be effective.

Yes I know but I was just sick and tired of all of the 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 9's this year.  Of course, Luck was great at converting a good amount of them but that still hinders our offense greatly. If we can pull together a decent to good O-line then I'd have no problem running the ball 40+ percent of the time. Just with out personnel as it is right now, I don't feel that is the right way to go about running the offense. 

Yes I know but I was just sick and tired of all of the 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 9's this year.  Of course, Luck was great at converting a good amount of them but that still hinders our offense greatly. If we can pull together a decent to good O-line then I'd have no problem running the ball 40+ percent of the time. Just with out personnel as it is right now, I don't feel that is the right way to go about running the offense. 

I want to believe that Grigson knows that O-line is our biggest and most noticeable weakness. I have confidence that this offseason will be squarely focused on upgrading the O-line and making sure that we will have the guys upfront to open holes for our RB's. I have no reason to doubt Grigson yet and hopefully never will.

That's simply not our game. We need to use the run game as little as possible just to make the passing game better.

We just witnessed 14 years of having what many here would argue is the best passing QB of all time with all the pass-first weapons one could realistically want....and it netted us 1 Super Bowl championship.

Why not 2-3 more SB titles?

WE COULDN'T OR DIDN'T RUN THE FOOTBALL.

We just witnessed 14 years of having what many here would argue is the best passing QB of all time with all the pass-first weapons one could realistically want....and it netted us 1 Super Bowl championship.

Or stop the run

I do wonder how long you have had an interest in the game of football though.

We have people here thinking we are going to sign a new O-Line coach. ???

regarding our team isn`t set up for... ?????

The O-Line is up for grabs, we NEED a WR that can block, and a 2nd RB to support the running attack.

Goal ONE is to develope a ground game that our opponent must respect so that play action is a Max Weapon. PERIOD!

That is why EVERY Coach since... starts by saying to you they want to run the ball and STOP the run. Go Blue!

So the RUN is Priority One. NO NFL Coach thinks he will win throwing 2/3rds of the time.

Edited by Nadine
shot at moderation

I want to believe that Grigson knows that O-line is our biggest and most noticeable weakness. I have confidence that this offseason will be squarely focused on upgrading the O-line and making sure that we will have the guys upfront to open holes for our RB's. I have no reason to doubt Grigson yet and hopefully never will.

I'm sure he does, he was an olineman

Exactly, we were a finesse team. God, I hated that with a passion. For yrs. I've longed for a smash mouth team that can effectively run the ball right down the opponents throat. Many colts fans have gotten so used to seeing an aerial attack from our offense but wasn't good at running the ball. While, that may be fun to watch, it has never been very effective in the playoffs. People say NE was an aerial attack kind of team, but they also had a great O-line that could pound the ball down their opponents throat. If we at least have that threat, then our passing game will open up and we should be a better playoff team.

Exactly, we were a finesse team. God, I hated that with a passion. For yrs. I've longed for a smash mouth team that can effectively run the ball right down the opponents throat. Many colts fans have gotten so used to seeing an aerial attack from our offense but wasn't good at running the ball. While, that may be fun to watch, it has never been very effective in the playoffs. People say NE was an aerial attack kind of team, but they also had a great O-line that could pound the ball down their opponents throat. If we at least have that threat, then our passing game will open up and we should be a better playoff team.

Great example Balzer.

And would anyone in their right mind tell Logan Mankins to his face that he's a "finesse" OG? :lol: 

Not True Jvan..... when we got Bob Sanders for the SB Run, we had the Run Game on Lock. We ran the ball well in the SB too haha

But yeah, we should've definitely had more SB Wins than we did

That year we won the super bowl.. For the most part, we couldn't stop the run.

Yeah use the run game as little as possible and throw it 40-50 times a game to rack up stats and lose. That's what my team does, and does it work out very well for them? No....even when you have Pierre Thomas averaging 9 yards a carry, or Mark ingram averaging 6-7 yards a carry, Brees made sure he got his stats. You can learn a thing or two watching the Saints try their absolute best to re-enact the 1984-1997 Dolphins by trying to eliminate the run 100%.

Yeah use the run game as little as possible and throw it 40-50 times a game to rack up stats and lose. That's what my team does, and does it work out very well for them? No....even when you have Pierre Thomas averaging 9 yards a carry, or Mark ingram averaging 6-7 yards a carry, Brees made sure he got his stats. You can learn a thing or two watching the Saints try their absolute best to re-enact the 1984-1997 Dolphins by trying to eliminate the run 100%.

I agree and frankly, I'm amazed that many Colts fans haven't learned from watching our teams from last decade. A team can be successful in the regular season playing that style of football, but once the playoffs roll around, a team needs to be balanced and be able to effectively run the ball....To play a smash mouth style of football. Still though, many Colts fans just want to see us throw the ball 50 times a game and keep adding skill players at the expense of the trenches. I'm tired of finesse football, I want a team that punishes their opponents every week.

Not True Jvan..... when we got Bob Sanders for the SB Run, we had the Run Game on Lock. We ran the ball well in the SB too haha

But yeah, we should've definitely had more SB Wins than we did

You guys are both right....weeks before that playoff run the Jaguars absolutely trampled us with MJD and Fred Taylor. There were other regular season games that were pretty bad.

But that post-season is what ultimately made it all so frustrating....the one year we did win the SB...the very weaknesses we had every other playoff year we're tightened up enough during the playoff run to snag that one Lombardi.

If the only issue with those near-misses in other years was purely personnel shortcomings it wouldn't have bugged me so much. In the 2006 loss to Pittsburgh, we completely abandoned the run game in the 2nd half in a winnable game. We panicked and literally played right into the Steelers hands....IMO.

The pass-first mantra was simply carried too far, and was exacerbated by a salary cap so heavily invested in that philosophy....and so maxed out....that little could be done when OL/DT draft prospects failed miserably at those positions.

I know that probably sounds spoiled to 29 or 30 other NFL fan bases....but its the dang truth.

Correct me if I am wrong but I always thought NO was at it's total best when they ran the ball a lot.    Running the ball well opens up the passing game SO much.   

I want the Colts to become a power running team, Luck will benefit greatly from it.... 

You guys are both right....weeks before that playoff run the Jaguars absolutely trampled us with MJD and Fred Taylor. There were other regular season games that were pretty bad.

But that post-season is what ultimately made it all so frustrating....the one year we did win the SB...the very weaknesses we had every other playoff year we're tightened up enough during the playoff run to snag that one Lombardi.

If the only issue with those near-misses in other years was purely personnel shortcomings it wouldn't have bugged me so much. In the 2006 loss to Pittsburgh, we completely abandoned the run game in the 2nd half in a winnable game. We panicked and literally played right into the Steelers hands....IMO.

The pass-first mantra was simply carried too far, and was exacerbated by a salary cap so heavily invested in that philosophy....and so maxed out....that little could be done when OL/DT draft prospects failed miserably at those positions.

I know that probably sounds spoiled to 29 or 30 other NFL fan bases....but its the dang truth.

100% correct my friend.

Exactly, we were a finesse team. God, I hated that with a passion. For yrs.

Yep.

For the longest time I wouldnt admit it to my buddy that we were a soft dome team....but i finally started to accept it in 2004 after the team was embarrassed in NE.

We had a few years where the team was somewhat physical (2005, at the end of 2006 and early 2007) but not a whole lot outside of that.

I already can see, despite the lack of talent, that this brand of football this team wants to run is much more physical. We may not be a 500 point per season type of offense because of it but if it translates to better playoff success and a few SBs...sign me up.

Yep.

For the longest time I wouldnt admit it to my buddy that we were a soft dome team....but i finally started to accept it in 2004 after the team was embarrassed in NE.

We had a few years where the team was somewhat physical (2005, at the end of 2006 and early 2007) but not a whole lot outside of that.

I already can see, despite the lack of talent, that this brand of football this team wants to run is much more physical. We may not be a 500 point per season type of offense because of it but if it translates to better playoff success and a few SBs...sign me up.

I agree! I hated that crap! Give me the smash mouth ravens, 49ers teams any day! But we should be much better. Cause we actually have Luck!

Having a good run game is needed but we also need the d to be able to stop the Run people sayin we should of won more sb but Our D got ran on for fun sometimes in playoffs u need both look ravens can run nd stop the run most top teams can do both but I just Dnt want us to focus on the run

Yep.

I totally disagree about Indy being a "soft" team under Mora or Dundgy.     Small ...   yes, but soft or finesse?  No...   Indy got beat by a better team in 04.    It happens.   Indy averaged 115 yards on the ground in 04.

Indy had the second best O in the league that season but also had a pretty bad D.   If I remember right it was a bad weather game and NE just ran the ball down Indy's throats (200+ yards rushing).   Indy also turned it over 3x....       Bad run D is not a symptom of being soft.    It is a chronic symptom that this team displayed over nearly the entire Dungy era.     Small DL's just don't get it done.  The team knew it, the following season 05 they traded for Simon.   Then in 06 for Booger, and guess what?   When Indy started playing great D....   they won a SB.

IMO the Colts played with more "heart" than any team in the NFL over 2000's, just look at the number of comebacks.    And many were fueled by the D making a huge play.      Soft teams give up.    Indy is known for NOT giving up.

2004 Indy Colts...    NE beat them 2x  

When a team that has a "really good QB" can run the ball ...  it opens EVERYTHING in the playbook up.

This O will be be very good...   I am excited... 

Having a good run game is needed but we also need the d to be able to stop the Run people sayin we should of won more sb but Our D got ran on for fun sometimes in playoffs u need both look ravens can run nd stop the run most top teams can do both but I just Dnt want us to focus on the run

TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1762 2768 RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 439 - 4.0 519 - 5.3 TOTAL PASSING YARDS 4308 2548 PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 362 - 557 - 9 - 7.9 266 - 415 - 15 - 6.5
bold letttering... when a tean cant throw against you theyre going to have to run the ball and that season we a two games for 250+ yards against us so if those were average number drop the total by 150-200 yards and thats a pretty balanced team. also they had 15 picks while giving up 16 TDs. not on top of the forced fumbles. if i was facing a team with that good of a passing defense then i would try and run the ball down their throats too. just my opinion. and also keeping the ball away from peyton manning.. run the ball get manageable 3rd downs by running the ball keeping yourself out of 3rd and long extending the drive burn more clock less time he would get the ball. you see teams do that to every great qb. keep the ball away from them. 22nd in pts allowed 22nd in yards not a bad defense

That year we won the super bowl.. For the most part, we couldn't stop the run. TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1762 2768 RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 439 - 4.0 519 - 5.3 TOTAL PASSING YARDS 4308 2548 PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 362 - 557 - 9 - 7.9 266 - 415 - 15 - 6.5

bold letttering... when a tean cant throw against you theyre going to have to run the ball and that season we a two games for 250+ yards against us so if those were average number drop the total by 150-200 yards and thats a pretty balanced team. also they had 15 picks while giving up 16 TDs. not on top of the forced fumbles. if i was facing a team with that good of a passing defense then i would try and run the ball down their throats too. just my opinion. and also keeping the ball away from peyton manning.. run the ball get manageable 3rd downs by running the ball keeping yourself out of 3rd and long extending the drive burn more clock less time he would get the ball. you see teams do that to every great qb. keep the ball away from them. 22nd in pts allowed 22nd in yards not aa bad defense

22nd out of 32 isn't good on any scale

I think throwing 30-40 times a game is the norm..if we throw 40 and run 40...I guess that's balance.

..but you have to score point....look at last week...and the conference semifinals

That year we won the super bowl.. For the most part, we couldn't stop the run. TOTAL RUSHING YARDS 1762 2768 RUSHING (Plays-Average Yards) 439 - 4.0 519 - 5.3 TOTAL PASSING YARDS 4308 2548 PASSING (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 362 - 557 - 9 - 7.9 266 - 415 - 15 - 6.5

bold letttering... when a tean cant throw against you theyre going to have to run the ball and that season we a two games for 250+ yards against us so if those were average number drop the total by 150-200 yards and thats a pretty balanced team. also they had 15 picks while giving up 16 TDs. not on top of the forced fumbles. if i was facing a team with that good of a passing defense then i would try and run the ball down their throats too. just my opinion. and also keeping the ball away from peyton manning.. run the ball get manageable 3rd downs by running the ball keeping yourself out of 3rd and long extending the drive burn more clock less time he would get the ball. you see teams do that to every great qb. keep the ball away from them. 22nd in pts allowed 22nd in yards not aa bad defense

22nd out of 32 isn't good on any scale

22nd allowed 1st being the most given up you want to be on the lower end of that.

Playing indoors with a top QB and fast receivers...we do the otehr team a favor when we run..

..we might emphasize the TEs more )(and that wouldbe good), but we're going to be a throwing (30, 40 times a game) team where we play

OH Lordy... 

OK... so what happens when Indy goes to NE for the 2014 AFCCG?   OUTDOORS...   IN THE COLD...   AND SNOW?

Good teams have to be able to run.

Seriously ...   This team will not turn into the Bill Cowher Steelers of the late 90's.      I fancy this team doing what NE does.  

How many "running" teams are on the top of the stat lists this season?   4 of the top 10 rushing teams this season are playing on Championship Weekend.        It is the way to go.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing

Didn't everyone enjoy that 9 minute drive to kill the game against the Texans? I know I did, and would love to see more of it. Make no mistake though, with the #1 QB prospect of the generation, the ball will be in his hands to win the game. We've already seen Luck in the 2 minute drill, having a more consistent 6 minute offense will make us tough to beat.