Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steven Jackson?

Jon Daily

Should the colts look at Steven this off season??

You will find that a lot of people on this site (including myself) do not believe in investing money in FA running backs (at least high $$ FA). Serviceable running backs can be found for far less money. Jackson has a lot of wear and tear on him.

If they go the RB route I'd prefer Lacy, who would be cheaper, younger, and I'd argue more explosive.  And on the draft sites I've looked at, there is a reasonable chance that no RB will be taken before the Colts pick. 

Take a rb in the first rd? No thanks

Take a rb in the first rd? No thanks

You feel the same way if in fact Hamilton wants to establish the running game as a priority, the basis of the offense?  I don't disagree with you, but I do not think Ballard, Brown, Carter, Karim, or anyone else on or flirting around the roster now remotely can handle that kind of load or responsibility. 

I think there's a couple things missing from this team another good rb,because i've sen the way they hit Ballard "pretty hard"they go head first with him we could use some good rb's to confuse the defence so he wont be such a big target forcing luck to throw the ball like Peyton hope he doesn't end up on injured reserve.The most important for now is solid protection for Luck the reason the San Franciscos' qb is so explosive on the run is cause he has 3 #1 drafts gaurding him

You feel the same way if in fact Hamilton wants to establish the running game as a priority, the basis of the offense?  I don't disagree with you, but I do not think Ballard, Brown, Carter, Karim, or anyone else on or flirting around the roster now remotely can handle that kind of load or responsibility. 

Yes I feel the same way....running backs aren't worth high picks IMO. And people need to stop acting like the colts are going to be the 60's Packers. When Pagano was hired he stated he wanted a balanced offense with a power running game...so wanting to run the ball is nothing new.

I don't understand why people feel the need to have some BIG Name RB. If you have a dominant Offensive Line, it doesn't matter who you have running the ball. As long as they don't have fumbling issues, a RB looks Good when his oline is good.

Except Barry Sanders, he was like a Cheat Code. Didn't have an oline but still made it look easy

If they go the RB route I'd prefer Lacy, who would be cheaper, younger, and I'd argue more explosive. And on the draft sites I've looked at, there is a reasonable chance that no RB will be taken before the Colts pick.
You mean take a RB with our first? NO!

Nobody worth a 1st round pick this draft.

Please delete this conversation. Steven Jackson is so far off of Grigson's radar, he doesn't even deserve to be considered an option. However, up until, and after the draft, i will continue to voice my desire to see Eddie Lacy in a colts uniform. With the FA market so rich with young, veteran talent, why draft an OL with the first pick? We need a real difference make at the RB position. I don't care what anyone says, VBallard is not the future of the colts RB core. We do not have a playmaker at the RB position right now. Eddie Lacy or Le"Veon Bell need to be in a colts Uni this year...

Please delete this conversation. Steven Jackson is so far off of Grigson's radar, he doesn't even deserve to be considered an option. However, up until, and after the draft, i will continue to voice my desire to see Eddie Lacy in a colts uniform. With the FA market so rich with young, veteran talent, why draft an OL with the first pick? We need a real difference make at the RB position. I don't care what anyone says, VBallard is not the future of the colts RB core. We do not have a playmaker at the RB position right now. Eddie Lacy or Le"Veon Bell need to be in a colts Uni this year...

Give 3 Good Reasons why Ballard can't be a Feature Back for us?

You mean take a RB with our first? NO!

Nobody worth a 1st round pick this draft.

The key word was if.  If the Colts decide that RB, a stud, an every down back is what is required to run Hamilton's offense, I would prefer a draft pick over Steven Jackson.  I'm not promoting the idea, not suggesting it is the route to go. 

What I do feel strongly about is that if - if - the Colts do feel like RB is a need position, is the priority, I a) wouldn't want Jackson, b) don't think anyone on the roster fits the bill of an every down back, and c) for all the Foster or Morris feel good stories, I feel no different about RBs than any other position - you take the best one available based on where you feel the need resides.  

If it's the priority, you take the best one available.  It's no different than QB, T, DE, CB, anything else. 

please fix the o-line!!! i would love another great rb, ballards been the best ive seen so far but just about every play would be better even with the wr's. last year at one point all 4 rb's injured and luck was sacked countless times lol in the 1'st quarter!!! oh yeah it would be nice to see luck get out the pocket hes alot more accurate on the run "not hurried"

Blocking, receiving, and break away speed.  I love what he did.  I think he has a career in the NFL.  He is a nice piece.  I see no super star.  I see no dynamic back.  He is a grinder.  A gamer.  A tough kid.  I just don't see dynamic skills.  He will do all the things the team asks of him, and if he is the feature back I won't toss and turn at night.  But there is absolutely room for improvement at that position on the roster. 

#1 - He's easily brought down by arm tackles/swipes. (See reggie bush)

#2 - He's intelligent, and has benefited from learning the offense, but doesn't possess any ability to create matchup problems for linebackers, after getting to the 2nd & 3rd levels of the defense. He's intelligent, not talented(gifted).

#3 - With D.Brown coming back, his carries, and PT will be limited and he'll return to project status.

Blocking, receiving, and break away speed. I love what he did. I think he has a career in the NFL. He is a nice piece. I see no super star. I see no dynamic back. He is a grinder. A gamer. A tough kid. I just don't see dynamic skills. He will do all the things the team asks of him, and if he is the feature back I won't toss and turn at night. But there is absolutely room for improvement at that position on the roster.

Rookie RB. All three you just named he can improve on. Not good enough reasons

Well hell I've been saying it for a while but yes I think we should take a good hard look at all FA RBs. I like Ballard but he can't do it all on his own, look at what happened when we got to the playoffs bye the fourth quarter he was running on fumes. I understand that we need to focus on the Oline, but I think a lot of fans really don't understand what we can do with 40 to 55 million. we don't need 9 to 12 Oline men, thats about how many guys we could bring in if we are shopping wisely which I think we will. I say we go after 2 maybe 3 oline men in FA and still be able to take care of our needs at CB SS OLB DE WR and RB. Lucks could use some help and while the Oline is the biggest issue, our running backs are not to far behind outside of Ballard. Brown has some good speed but when was the last time he finished a season without injury's. We were close to being last in the red zone and a new Oline will greatly improve that but I dont want to wait another season to see what our RB can do with a new line when we have the money now to fix just about all our holes. We need to look at Jackson,Bush,Hillis,Mendenhall or Greene and I would love if with our last pick in the draft at #214 we invest in Lattimore.

Rookie RB. All three you just named he can improve on. Not good enough reasons

And I agree, I think he will improve in all areas.  What doesn't just magically show up, appear out of nowhere, what can't be learned is game changing, break away, play making.  He hasn't shown anything on the field - and had lots of opportunities - to break a run off, or take a pass, and take one to the house.  Break ankles with some move, out run some safety, make plays in space to create a dynamic threat.  And there are plenty of RBs who do that now in the NFL.  I like the kid.  I agree he can improve.  But I don't think he is remotely a game changing threat, a player anyone will ever have to game plan against.  He can be a good NFL RB.  I don't ever see him being great. 

No, I'm willing to bet that Ballard will be better than Jackson next year.

What people have to realize is that these bruising brash backs like Jackson don't have long careers. I'm surprised he had the year he had this year. 

Jackson has definitely peaked, and not worth even looking at.

Very good RB's can be had in late round pick ups. Look at the Redskins back Morris, he was a late pick and he is a difference maker. Lacy would be nice and if we had a second, maybe but not with the first round pick. We need a starter on the oline or a pass rusher with that first pick who can deliver this season. A bigger better oline will make Ballard look like a first round pick, he ain't too bad.

What? Yall are crazy or just in a dream land, I like Ballard but to say he will be better then Jackson next year wow. All I know is next year when Jackson is having a great season and we are wishing we picked him up just look at Ballards #s.

I don't think the poster meant Ballard would be better than Jackson in his peak of career rather a young Ballard, with an improved oline, will out perform a Jackson at this stage in his career. I agree with that, Jackson has been used up in his career. If Jackson would come over relatively at a bargain price, I wouldn't be opposed to him coming in but at this stage of his career, he isn't the game changer you are looking for.

Interesting how people here KNOW how much $$$ it would take to bring Jackson here. They DON`T have any idea!

Brown is a proven bust. Carter has a fumble issue that keeps him off the field.

Would Jackson be interesting as part of a typical 2 man running game. Sure. There is a very good chance he would be a solid contributor for the 2013 season. Are we likely to get him NO.

It has been stated by others and me as well dozens of times, but the key to a good running game is a good O-line and not a good RB. Unless you have an Adrian Peterson or a Barry Sanders RB's are highly over rated. Build a big strong and tough O-line and most RB's can be very successful. I would hope to God we do not throw money away by signing a big name RB, it is an utter waste of money.