Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many draft picks have we lost to deaths(accidents)?

ADayWithoutRain

We've lost alot over the years...seems strange/unlucky.I can think of at least two(e.curry/s.burlsworth).They were high draft picks as well,and set us back many years.Has any other team been so unfortunate over the years?We literally lost these guys right after drafting them.How good do you think they would've been?I think burlsworth was a probowl talent.

The number of draft picks we have busted is way more than that.

Just take round 3 and say Bill Polian, probably 75% of them have not panned out.

Then take the top 2 picks of drafts 2007-2011: Gonzo, Ugoh, Pollak, Donald Brown, Fili Moala, Jerry Hughes, Pat Angerer, Castanzo, Ijalana

Only 1 of them is an entrenched starter for us now from 5 different drafts from round 1-2. Cant just hope to get rotational players in those top 2 rounds, they need to be starters.

One can make a case the 2nd round pick in 2007 we gave up for Booger was well worth it, and I agree, much like the one we gave for Vontae Davis, which hopefully gives us a SB soon :).

I don't belive we lost any besides the two you mentioned. That is your question.. right ?

I wonder if any other team has been so unlucky?We also lost r.culver(right after he sign with the chargers).He was a sweet guy,and would always play ball with us kids after practice.

How good do you think they(curry/burlsworth) would've been?

I wonder if any other team has been so unlucky?We also lost r.culver(right after he sign with the chargers).He was a sweet guy,and would always play ball with us kids after practice.

How good do you think they(curry/burlsworth) would've been?

Let them RIP.

However, I'd prefer to talk about the ones that are alive. Sorry if that does not chime with your sentiment. I am a glass half full guy.

Just take round 3 and say Bill Polian, probably 75% of them have not panned out.

Then take the top 2 picks of drafts 2007-2011: Gonzo, Ugoh, Pollak, Donald Brown, Fili Moala, Jerry Hughes, Pat Angerer, Castanzo, Ijalana

Only 1 of them is an entrenched starter for us now from 5 different drafts from round 1-2. Cant just hope to get rotational players in those top 2 rounds, they need to be starters.

One can make a case the 2nd round pick in 2007 we gave up for Booger was well worth it, and I agree, much like the one we gave for Vontae Davis, which hopefully gives us a SB soon :).

I meant through actual death(accidents).We've had draft picks actually get killed coming to indy,after the draft.

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sportspeople_who_died_during_their_careers#National_Football_League

I remember the Sean Taylor and Darrent Williams deaths well enough that they immediately pop to mind any time this subject is discussed.  Williams was a real good young corner but Taylor in particular was really something else.  Haven't seen a player quite like him and it could be a long time before another one comes around.

Glancing at that list, though, there are quite a few recent ones that I had nearly forgotten about but recall the circumstances of.  A lot of them were pretty unusual, especially the Chris henry death and the guys lost at sea during the offseason.

Here you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sportspeople_who_died_during_their_careers#National_Football_League

I remember the Sean Taylor and Darrent Williams deaths well enough that they immediately pop to mind any time this subject is discussed.  Williams was a real good young corner but Taylor in particular was really something else.  Haven't seen a player quite like him and it could be a long time before another one comes around.

Glancing at that list, though, there are quite a few recent ones that I had nearly forgotten about but recall the circumstances of.  A lot of them were pretty unusual, especially the Chris henry death and the guys lost at sea during the offseason.

Thanks for the info.It was unfortunate about sean taylor and the circumstances surrounding it.I'm just feeling kinda' bummed out.I was thinking about rodney culver and how awesome he was.The guy would always play ball with us kids...always.He found the time to teach us some stuff whenever we saw him.The dude was IMPOSSIBLE to tackle(couldn't do it and i was actually trying).He would carry three kids to the endzone.I hate losing these guys.

We've lost alot over the years...seems strange/unlucky.I can think of at least two(e.curry/s.burlsworth).They were high draft picks as well,and set us back many years.Has any other team been so unfortunate over the years?We literally lost these guys right after drafting them.How good do you think they would've been?I think burlsworth was a probowl talent.

I dunno, but Blind Melon is awesome and Shannon Hoon is one of my favorite "home state" guys ever...  lost him waaay too young... btw, did you ever notice S.H. in the Guns'n'Roses video for "don't cry"? Axl is another Indiana boy (although markedly less cool)

Are you posting this to a differfent thread ? I think I answered to how many Colt draft picks died before they reached the NFl. Did you actually think I posted that Curry and Burlsworth were the onky two that didn't work out or "busted" ?

I dunno, but Blind Melon is awesome and Shannon Hoon is one of my favorite "home state" guys ever...  lost him waaay too young... btw, did you ever notice S.H. in the Guns'n'Roses video for "don't cry"? Axl is another Indiana boy (although markedly less cool)

When we lost shannon,things were never quite the same.Yes,the "don't cry video" was awesome(he was also backing vocals in the "garden" song as well).His mother(nel)is also equally a giant sweetheart.If you go up and knock on her door,she'll take you directly to shannons' grave(even made me some sandwiches).How many people would do that?!Yeah,axl was anna's(hoons' sister)friend in high school.

I still believe shannon is one of the most influential talents in musical history.Have yu heard the song "the duke",or "skinned"(inspired by ed gein)?

We've lost alot over the years..I can think of at least two

....and I've got a billion dollars but I can only find two. Since two is alot.....I'm feeling pretty good. Thank you, sir, for redefining "alot". 

You ....uhhh.....you see why you fail, right?

....and I've got a billion dollars but I can only find two. Since two is alot.....I'm feeling pretty good. Thank you, sir, for redefining "alot". 

You ....uhhh.....you see why you fail, right?

You're still sore about the tebow comment?Its OKAY if you have a love/hate relationship with BIG STRONG...SEXY MEN of faith.I'm not here to judge anybody. :number1:

U guys only have 3 draft picks this year so make'm count. 1,3 & 4

Yeah,i think we have 6 this year(we regain our 6th ad 7th from philly),plus we get some comp picks.We caught some lucky breaks this year.Also,you're pretty cool for a packers fan.What do you hope they do in the draft?They need DEFENSIVE help and an o-line for sure.

Morbid...how?The fact that they died?I was just curious as to how many other teams have faced such harsh circumstances. I remember and love(r.culver)players that we've lost.

Most prefer to remember and love the players that have played for us and that are still playing, maybe that is what he is getting at.

If not morbid, this thread is definitely borderline weird...it is like talking about all artists that died young...life and death happens...I prefer to cherish life and players that exist...especially on a football forum unless we are talking about someone who just died which is more understandable.

You are on a totally different wavelength when it comes to posters here, and discussing dead draft picks/players that haven't played any/many NFL downs, is not that appealing to jskinnz or me, I guess. I will leave it at that and promise not to post in this thread again.

Morbid...how?The fact that they died?I was just curious as to how many other teams have faced such harsh circumstances.I remember and love(r.culver)players that we've lost.

What harsh circumstance? A few guys die that I've never even heard of and...?

Explain how any of these deaths significantly affected our franchise? This is your opportunity to make some sense of this thread. 

Explain how any of these deaths significantly affected our franchise? This is your opportunity to make some sense of this thread. 

To be fair, I think Brandon Burlsworth would have been a stud o-lineman. Other than that though, yeah this thread is kind of weird.

To be fair, I think Brandon Burlsworth would have been a stud o-lineman. Other than that though, yeah this thread is kind of weird.

Never heard of him. Or...maybe I did and I don't remember. Unlike some here, my short term memory has taken a beating over the years. Smoking_Emote_by_budgieishere.gif

College football is legalized slavery so I pay ZERO attention to that perversion of capitalism. 

When we lost shannon,things were never quite the same.Yes,the "don't cry video" was awesome(he was also backing vocals in the "garden" song as well).His mother(nel)is also equally a giant sweetheart.If you go up and knock on her door,she'll take you directly to shannons' grave(even made me some sandwiches).How many people would do that?!Yeah,axl was anna's(hoons' sister)friend in high school.

I still believe shannon is one of the most influential talents in musical history.Have yu heard the song "the duke",or "skinned"(inspired by ed gein)?

I remember watching BM do skinned on MTV's 120 minutes (I think Kennedy was the host), but the Kazoo is kind of hilarious because of the lyrics... great song... both of them... maybe my 2 favorite songs from Soup

Skinned might be tied for my favorite Blind Melon song... I always put it right after Galaxie when I have to make a new mix tape/ CD...

that's amazing that you've met Shannon's mother... I've always thought that Blind Melon and the Pumpkins should have done the whole lead singer switch (Like Michael Stipe and Thom Yorke did) for one album... I would have loved to hear what Siamese Dream sounded like with Shannon... some things are best left unknown I guess...

How much do you know about colts football(or draft history)?I think curry was a 2nd round pick and burlsworth a third,so 'yeah',it had a major impact(our franchise) to lose guys of that quality,ever before they got into training camp.These guys weren't some late round talent...they were premier starters and were expected to make HUGE contribution from day one.I hope that makes "a little sense" to you.

I remember watching BM do skinned on MTV's 120 minutes (I think Kennedy was the host), but the Kazoo is kind of hilarious because of the lyrics... great song... both of them... maybe my 2 favorite songs from Soup

Skinned might be tied for my favorite Blind Melon song... I always put it right after Galaxie when I have to make a new mix tape/ CD...

that's amazing that you've met Shannon's mother... I've always thought that Blind Melon and the Pumpkins should have done the whole lead singer switch (Like Michael Stipe and Thom Yorke did) for one album... I would have loved to hear what Siamese Dream sounded like with Shannon... some things are best left unknown I guess...

I love shannon,but can't stand the remaining group(blindmelon)...they're a bunch of 'DB'S' when you chat with them.They constantly look for new ways to milk money from their cashcow(shannon).They've become a disgrace to his name.

If some of you guys' are uncomfortable with the thread,then just don't reply or read it.These players were 'COLTS' and i prefer to remember them as human being and show respect.

What are you guys' gonna' do next?...Paint a yellow star on my profile?We ALL have various idea's and viewpoints,and show alittle class to fellow posters.

Posted · Hidden by shecolt, January 20, 2013 - inappropriate
Hidden by shecolt, January 20, 2013 - inappropriate
If some of you guys' are uncomfortable with the thread,then just don't reply or read it.These players were 'COLTS' and i prefer to remember them as human being and show respect.

What are you guys' gonna' do next?...Paint a yellow star on my profile?We ALL have various idea's and viewpoints,and show alittle class to fellow posters.

Your avatar is disgusting.

OK uhh, let's try this again?

What's up with your avatar?

Something you couldn't possibly understand,because you're not a true hoosier(no offense...of course).Only a real hoosier and colts fan could GET IT.My avatar's speak to them.I have NO obligation to explain myself to a NONE hoosier.

What's a none hoosier?