Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Any reason we weren't doing more PA roll-outs?

ReMeDy

One of the commentators said when Luck is in motion, he's unstoppable. That got me thinking, so why is he always throwing in the pocket? He's great at throwing on the run, and our o-line, quite frankly, sucks. Doing more roll-outs would put less stress on our o-line, play into Luck's speed, and spread the defense more to the flats to open up the inside run game, which Ballard excels at.

We're fortunate Luck wasn't injured. I believe Luck was sacked three times with 15+ hurries. That's when you know the pocket isn't working and you have to redirect traffic to the outsides. Sorry Clyde, but I don't support your play-calling. Next season, we need a better playbook that plays into Luck's speed with more no-huddle. I know Luck's a rookie, so perhaps they wanted to take it slow, but Luck has demonstrated high football IQ, so why the coaches procrastinated on adding bootlegs is beyond me.

One of the commentators said when Luck is in motion, he's unstoppable. That got me thinking, so why is he always throwing in the pocket? He's great at throwing on the run, and our o-line, quite frankly, sucks. Doing more roll-outs would put less stress on our o-line, play into Luck's speed, and spread the defense more to the flats to open up the inside run game, which Ballard excels at.

We're fortunate Luck wasn't injured. I believe Luck was sacked three times with 15+ hurries. That's when you know the pocket isn't working and you have to redirect traffic to the outsides. Sorry Clyde, but I don't support your play-calling. Next season, we need a better playbook that plays into Luck's speed with more no-huddle.

I feared Luck would get hurt all year and thankfully he didn't.. I have no clue why we don't utilize his mobility more than we did this year. We should see much improvement and changes next year.

Andrew was running bootlegs for his life on a regular basis. ;)

Not a great idea to boot when you are constantly being blitzed from the outside and made worse by RB`s who are lousy at picking up the Blitz. And you really get CREAMED by big guys with a head of steam pretty often out there.

$tat$ Manning Loved the Great blocking of Addai. Knowing now that Andrew threw over 600 times, we should have kept Joseph, he would have helped A LOT!

I'd love to see more roll outs.

Something else I think would help, would be the first few possessions of the game have Luck drop back, and just instantly run up the gut. I'm not looking for him to gain 30yds every time, just put the thought of him running in the DCord mind. Get 5yds slide. Get 3yds slide etc.

Something else I think would help, would be the first few possessions of the game have Luck drop back, and just instantly run up the gut. I'm not looking for him to gain 30yds every time, just put the thought of him running in the DCord mind. Get 5yds slide. Get 3yds slide etc.

Pretty much this. I was saying the whole game, why don't they get luck out of the pocket and use some of the speed and smarts he has. He doesn't run at all and he can. I kept saying we are not using Manning anymore, Luck is mobile, act like you know this and put it in the play book. I just do t get it sometimes why the teams are so stubborn to do something that seems so right and blatant to continue something that continually fails. I didn't like CC 2 years ago and I wasn't anymore impressed with him yesterday. No adjustment in game what so ever. Stick to the script and hope it works in the end. Need an innovator at OC if BA leaves.

And Luck needs to be free to start calling his own plays

^This^

Before RG3 got hurt, he would do this to GREAT success.

Not sure what "Pocket" you're talking about cause I didn't see one. We did a PA Rollout..... remember? It was that play that Coby Fleener saved Lucks Life by having a False Start because I think it was Kruger who was about to put Luck on IR with everyone else. We get an oline, then we can expand the playbook. Until then, let's keep Luck in what the NFL calls a "Pocket". I call it people being pushed around in Lucks face affecting his throws

I think my views on the playbook vs the O-line talent level are known enough for me not to go open up old wounds and I don't like to get on BA's case given all that he's done. But I would have liked to seen more designed roll outs for Luck. If he's going to run for his life every down on offense anyway he might as well get a head start :P

when BA leaves i would like someone that is more WCO oriented..Luck played in that scheme his whole college career..

I don't get this boards obsession with wco. And really, I don't care what offense he played in college.

Reason number 2,143 why our offense frustrates me.       :wall:

Among the many things Luck does well is throw on the run AND fake the play-action handoff.   

And do we do a lot of that?    Ummm,  "I'll take No! for $2,000,  Alex"    

Almost all 50+ pass attempts yesterday, were straight back.   3 steps, 5 steps, 7 steps straight back.   It's got to be a dream for a DL to know just where Luck is going to be.

No bootlegs.   No moving the pocket.   Very little play action.   And he clearly demonstrated that was a strength of his for 3-years of college.    What ARE we thinking?!?     Drives me crazy!!

This is -- in part -- what I mean when I say Luck succeeds in spite of our offense,  not because of our offense.   He's capable of so much more,  many of you have no idea.

Tip of the Iceberg.   That's what you saw from Luck this year.    Just the tip.    And, if we keep Arians and Pagano asks to start incorporating more shorter plays,  or, if Arians leaves and our new OC goes more West Coast,  I don't think we'll even recognize Luck.    When he goes to the next level,  he's really going to be something extra special.

Think a bigger, stronger Aaron Rodgers with some Roethlisberger thrown in....

This should be a fascinating off-season....