Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things that I liked this year and things to look ahead to

theanarchist

I'm excited about the young offensive skill players taking another step together. Luck, Allen, TY Hilton and even Fleener. They all should gel even more next year.

When we drafted Hilton I was optomistic that he would be that speed receiver we needed in order to keep a defense off balance. He had a great year for a rookie receiver.

Allen looks like a really good all around TE. He can block, catch, run and be a matchup problem for defenses.

I liked the 3-4 defense. They weren't great but I think the scheme change was a breath of fresh air and if they can put a few more playmakers on that side of the ball I think our defense could be great. I liked the blitzes it was so much different than the vanilla 4-3 2 deep zone that we've had over the last 10 years.

Another thing I liked about our defense was that you didn't see CB's playing 8  yards off the ball. I was nice to see some tighter coverage and even with the scraps we picked up from the junk heap so to speak we had some guys make plays in the secondary.

Looking ahead I think the biggest needs are OL and OLB. I think we could upgrade at a lot of places on defense but with Freeney being a FA and the 3-4 being a defense that features OLB I think OLB is a need. Mathis made a nice transistion to the position this year but we need another guy who can rush off the edge.

One thing I always hear is that it takes time to learn a new scheme and not to think and just react.  I think the defense will be better next year.  I think this team is looking up, although a concern is our OC.  I think Luck needs continuity with his offensive coordinator.  All the great qb's have had that.  I hope he gets that too.

All of the above. I really hope that they can get the potential out of Fleener. Allen is a great TE. Fleener can be a Gronkowski with his speed and size. He should be an end zone target on short yardage every time.

Good things to come, for sure.

I think we'll bring Freeney back only if he comes Cheap. This Defense is heading into the right direction. Glad to see we have People who'll step up like Guy & Geathers. This has definitely been a Season to remember

Sorry to differ but I just don't agree about Freeney. I think this year showed that Freeney is a 4-3 DE and in my opinion he understands that very much. I fully expect him to move to a team that he knows plays a 4-3 and needs a speed rusher. He has 2 good years left and i think there will be a team who will throw a good amount of $ at him.

having said that I think Freeney is one of the all time great Colts. He came along when we desparately needed him and he was one of the cornerstones of a championship team. He is one of the all time great pass rushers in the modern game.

The future is really bright in Indy.  If we can get a few more pieces to fit our 3-4 defense and get some more talent along the offensive line, our team will be good for years to come.  I'm really interested to see how Grigson approaches this offseason, now that we have had some success and we have a better idea of what we have

Freeney is a Situational 3rd and LONG Backup quality player NOW. A DISASTER against the run, Always has been.

Giant Kudos to Grigson and his team for finding new players. Much Credit to the Coaching staff too! Impressive.

Sign some of these guys longer term and add a pass rusher, safety, and a big fast ILB and this D should be Very solid.

Add at least Two Improvements to the O-Line and another Solid RB and the Offense could be a Monster.

Crossing my fingers Big Time for Ijalana & Chapman. They could both become anchors for many years to come. We need some Luck!

a disaster vs teh run? i understand the run is not his big strength but people are just saying the same and i dont think they are watching the games.

freeney stopped the 3rd and 1 vs foster last week, not mathis, and has been setting the edge the last 3 games. of course there are instances that he takes himself out of the play on running downs but they are nto what some fans are making it out to be.

and he aint no situantional 3rd and long, he is getting old no ddoubt about it and Griggson has to make a decition, but please he  was getting constant pressure on schaub last week no matter the down. and he was getting doudbled a lot by their TE or Foster.

i think by year 3 we will be a power house

agree we are still a couple drafts away from full potential. We have a few cornerstones in place. To build a true championship team you need cornerstones. 

1) U need a true franchise qb. check

2) U need a stud left tackle to protect that qb. check

3) U need a true pass rushing DE/olb. we have one need another one(freeney is gone)

4) U need adequate offensive weapons that your qb can feed the ball to. check but we still need to replace reggie in a year or two.

Sprinkle in a few more playmakers on defense and a couple more offensive linemen and you've got a championship caliber team.

I think the biggest need now is offensive line.  If you look at the Patriot model, Brady has a good offensive line every year.  Nobody touches him.  So it doesn't matter who they line up at WR or RB, they succeed.  I think with a few good offensive  linemen, Ballard/Brown rush for over 2000 yards and Luck is a top 4 QB.  Sure the defense needs work, but the NFL now is full of teams who can score and have mediocre defenses.  That said, I do hope we pick up another corner, safety, and another LB in case Freeney is gone, which I expect.

It is early, but I think these team actually has more potential than the Manning Colts to win it all.   The reason I say that is they are more willing to take risks to be great. I got tired of the 8 yard cushions on every play.   The lack of run game or stopping the run.  And it was never fixed save for the one winning Super Bowl run.   The Colts did great but the fact is, they won one Super Bowl.  They under achieved.  I think this team will win more SBs.

I agree about our defense.  It's nice to see a normal looking defense.  What I mean by that is a defense that blitzes when they should consider blitzing, stuffing up a runner in the backfield more than once a game, and finally getting stops in crunch time.

Finally a defense doing what they're meant to do.  I really do think that it can only get better especially with Pagano back. 

I feel like our offense is two pieces (on the o-line) away from being great.  If we can get a G and a RT in the offseason that'll keep Luck standing upright and help out with holes for Ballard, that'll be huge.  It's a great thing to see that our offense is producing with so many rookies.

Here's to a bright future for our team, guys and gals.

a disaster vs teh run? i understand the run is not his big strength but people are just saying the same and i dont think they are watching the games.

freeney stopped the 3rd and 1 vs foster last week, not mathis, and has been setting the edge the last 3 games. of course there are instances that he takes himself out of the play on running downs but they are nto what some fans are making it out to be.

and he aint no situantional 3rd and long, he is getting old no ddoubt about it and Griggson has to make a decition, but please he  was getting constant pressure on schaub last week no matter the down. and he was getting doudbled a lot by their TE or Foster.

Not watching the games? WOW! Freeney has NEVER set the Edge. BTW, the guy has 12 tackles for the season. That INCLUDES his Woefull 5 sacks.

JerryBrown has 41 tackles and 4 sacks.

The Freeney Thoroughfare has been open for a free 5+ yards his whole career. If anyone was watching.

Freeney in for 719 snaps

Hughes in for 865 snaps

Not watching the games? WOW! Freeney has NEVER set the Edge. BTW, the guy has 12 tackles for the season. That INCLUDES his Woefull 5 sacks.

JerryBrown has 41 tackles and 4 sacks.

The Freeney Thoroughfare has been open for a free 5+ yards his whole career. If anyone was watching.

Freeney in for 719 snaps

Hughes in for 865 snaps

so you comparing brown or hughes?

setting edge = not getting tackles....thats why you set the edge, so a LB can tackle

and in any case, im not saying he rocks vs the run, he obviously does not, having said that, you seem to beIMO just waiting for every little thing to call him a bad run player, when in fact, at the very least he has been better vs the run the last 3-4 weeks...but it doesnt matter cause u already made your mind

I'm excited about the young offensive skill players taking another step together. Luck, Allen, TY Hilton and even Fleener. They all should gel even more next year.

When we drafted Hilton I was optomistic that he would be that speed receiver we needed in order to keep a defense off balance. He had a great year for a rookie receiver.

Allen looks like a really good all around TE. He can block, catch, run and be a matchup problem for defenses.

I liked the 3-4 defense. They weren't great but I think the scheme change was a breath of fresh air and if they can put a few more playmakers on that side of the ball I think our defense could be great. I liked the blitzes it was so much different than the vanilla 4-3 2 deep zone that we've had over the last 10 years.

Another thing I liked about our defense was that you didn't see CB's playing 8  yards off the ball. I was nice to see some tighter coverage and even with the scraps we picked up from the junk heap so to speak we had some guys make plays in the secondary.

Looking ahead I think the biggest needs are OL and OLB. I think we could upgrade at a lot of places on defense but with Freeney being a FA and the 3-4 being a defense that features OLB I think OLB is a need. Mathis made a nice transistion to the position this year but we need another guy who can rush off the edge.

I like Ballard he runs hard and he's tough..

agree we are still a couple drafts away from full potential. We have a few cornerstones in place. To build a true championship team you need cornerstones.

1) U need a true franchise qb. check

2) U need a stud left tackle to protect that qb. check

3) U need a true pass rushing DE/olb. we have one need another one(freeney is gone)

4) U need adequate offensive weapons that your qb can feed the ball to. check but we still need to replace reggie in a year or two.

Sprinkle in a few more playmakers on defense and a couple more offensive linemen and you've got a championship caliber team.

I'm disappointed in you & your Checklist. You forgot to put you NEED Apple Juice!

How could you forget the Apple Juice??!!!!

haha