Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Things To Watch For

Coffeedrinker

Superman and I decided to team up and do a weekly two part series. Before the game each week I will post some things to watch for (or Things of which to watch, to be grammatically correct). After the game, Superman will do his game grades and if anyone was around last year, you will remember it was one of the best reads on the forum and something I, personally, looked forward to reading each week even though there were some things where we had differing opinions. Hopefully people will enjoy it.

QUARTERBACKS

The main thing I will be looking for is how is the offense run with Collins at the helm. Collins is a veteran guy, who knows how to read defenses so will he get the three plays and make the call at the line or it will be a more traditional huddle, call the play, snap the ball unless he sees something major? The next will be how familiar he is with the other players. When you look at the Cincy game, after a few days of practice he opens the game up with a 50 yarder to Gilreath that was on the money and in stride and even though he was just 5 of 10, I don't remember any of those incomplete passes being bad passes or reading something different than the receivers.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The main thing to look for is; who the heck is it going to be. Will Diem stay at RG or will he move back to RT? Early indications are staying Diem is staying at RG. Most people will be looking for the individual players but try to watch how they perform as a unit. For example on pass blocking, do the guards leave their zones to double with the center or tackle or do they effectively pass off a player to stay in their zone. Also on running plays. It seemed during the preseason the Colts experimented with some man blocking on running plays and zone on passing plays. Will that continue. I expect some bumps but with the exception of one player, I think the Colts have the makings of a very good oline.

BACKS, TIGHT ENDS AND WR

While I think it is a mistake, I think we will see a lot of two TE sets to max protect and because AC and Link are going to need some help. Everyone is expecting the Colts to focus on the running game and I'm sure the Texans are too, so that is why I think the Colts will come out throwing the ball. I don't think they will try a long one to start the game like they did against Cincy, but some tosses to Clark, a couple slants or hooks to Wayne. This will server two purposes, one it will get Collins into the flow a bit and I think it will completely shock the Texans and loosen up the Lbers. The three main things to look for is: If Collins and the WR/TEs are on the same page as far as coverages, what routes are expected and soft spots in the zone. 2. On running plays if Collins can get back quick enough to make the hand-off in a timely fashion. 3. How well the running backs work with the oline. Not just is pass protection (filling in where the hole in the zone will be) but also when running... is the hole opening where they are expecting it to open.

D-LINE

This is the unit I can't wait to watch. Not only did Moala show the skills necessary to become a Top 10 DT in the NFL, Mookie played well, and Nevis was an excellent surprise. Add to that the Colts becoming specialized with the addition of Brayton and Anderson, both of whom played well in the last two games of the preseason. So, what of the main things to watch for is the number of snaps that Freeney and Mathis get. I still think they are the best DE tandem in the NFL, but if they are limited to 25-30 snaps a game I think that will be better for everyone, except the opponent. Both can cause a lot of havoc in that amount of snaps and they can be doing it well into the 4th quarter when it will be needed the most. Next watch for the different package. Common running downs I think everyone agrees we will see Brayton, Mookie, Moala, Anderson but watch for how they mix it up during the game and which combination is most effective. Personally, I think a lineup of Freeney, Moala, Nevis and Anderson could be the most well rounded lineup, being able to pressure the QB and defend against the run equally well. Lastly, the thing everyone wants to see, pressure up the middle... will the Colts get it. I think yes, they did a great job of it in the preseason and I don't expect that to change.

LINEBACKERS

This will be an interesting unit. Angerer plays well in spurts and is still young and learning. We know what we will see with Brackett and Conner is a force against the run, not so much against the pass. IMO, the biggest downfall of the Colts D in the preseason was that 8-12 yard pass from 5 yards outside the right hash to 5 yards outside the left hash. And in a Cover 2 type D, that falls on the Lbers. Sims coming in with the nickel package should help with that, but the Texans are a passing team so Conner is going to have to have to play the pass a lot. The big thing to look for is how they play the bootleg that Houston loves to run. There was a perfect example of how to play it in the Cincy game. Wheeler was the SAM and the Bengals did a bootleg to the strong side. Wheeler, found the TE, dropped back in coverage while Thomas came up to the QB. The result was the QB scrambled for about a 1 or 2 yard gain. If they can play the bootleg effectively it will take away a huge staple of the Texans offense. The next is how the Lbers react to the pass. As mentioned above, even though the dline was getting pressure all around the QB was able to complete a lot of passes in the middle of the field in the 8-12 yard range, they need to break a few of those up. Lastly, watch for how they fill those gaps on running plays. This is a discipline D. Everyone on the front seven has to maintain their discipline, if not there will be huge holes for the Rbs to run through. Angerer and Wheeler were the best at maintaining their gaps in the preseason. Conner has a tendency to ad lib and run around blockers rather than just sacrificing his body to fill a gap.

SECONDAY

A lot of people have questions about this unit but I think it is the best group since 2006 when the Colts had Nick the knife Harper, Jason David as the starters and Jackson and Hayden as the back-ups. Watch for aggressiveness. Houston has, perhaps, the best WR in the league in Johnson (A) and an excellent receiving TE in Daniels, outside of those two the have a stable of solid but unspectacular WRs. Still the secondary is going to have their hands full against both the pass and run support. Watch for what the safeties do against the run, if they hesitate to come up in run support or not and where they are expecting the runs to go. The Texans move Johnson around a lot and I expect him to line up against Lacey most of the day, especially if Caldwell is playing rather than Bethea (because of the hammy).

SPECIAL TEAMS

Coverage units looked much improved in the preseason, let's see if that carries over to the regular season. If Lefeged does punt returns it will be interesting to watch him. He did a good job on KR, let's see if those skills translate to PR as well. KR will be fun to watch, initially, to see if teams try to kick higher so the ball comes down around the goal line. The 5 yards helps the coverage unit as well because they do not have to run as far.

Other than that, I expect MacAfee to average about 50 yards per punt and AV to hit his FGs.

COACHING

Mainly just watch the game planning on both sides of the ball. I don't expect the D to be that much different. The biggest difference on O is, I do not think the Colts will run the no huddle as much like they do with Manning. But I expect the plays they call based on down and distance to be about the same as normal, except a few more runs on 2nd down. When the Colts and Manning started doing that last year (even if 1st down run got no yardage) the Colts started running the ball really well. On the D side, as mentioned before, watch the different packages used based on down and distance and then how those are adjusted based on what is happening in the games.

There are many other things to watch for, I just tried to highlight some that I found important and/or that I think the board finds important.

Be sure to read Superman's grades immediately after the game. :) Just kidding, I doubt if he will do them immediately after the game.

Superman and I decided to team up and do a weekly two part series. Before the game each week I will post some things to watch for (or Things of which to watch, to be grammatically correct). After the game, Superman will do his game grades and if anyone was around last year, you will remember it was one of the best reads on the forum and something I, personally, looked forward to reading each week even though there were some things where we had differing opinions. Hopefully people will enjoy it.

QUARTERBACKS

The main thing I will be looking for is how is the offense run with Collins at the helm. Collins is a veteran guy, who knows how to read defenses so will he get the three plays and make the call at the line or it will be a more traditional huddle, call the play, snap the ball unless he sees something major? The next will be how familiar he is with the other players. When you look at the Cincy game, after a few days of practice he opens the game up with a 50 yarder to Gilreath that was on the money and in stride and even though he was just 5 of 10, I don't remember any of those incomplete passes being bad passes or reading something different than the receivers.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The main thing to look for is; who the heck is it going to be. Will Diem stay at RG or will he move back to RT? Early indications are staying Diem is staying at RG. Most people will be looking for the individual players but try to watch how they perform as a unit. For example on pass blocking, do the guards leave their zones to double with the center or tackle or do they effectively pass off a player to stay in their zone. Also on running plays. It seemed during the preseason the Colts experimented with some man blocking on running plays and zone on passing plays. Will that continue. I expect some bumps but with the exception of one player, I think the Colts have the makings of a very good oline.

BACKS, TIGHT ENDS AND WR

While I think it is a mistake, I think we will see a lot of two TE sets to max protect and because AC and Link are going to need some help. Everyone is expecting the Colts to focus on the running game and I'm sure the Texans are too, so that is why I think the Colts will come out throwing the ball. I don't think they will try a long one to start the game like they did against Cincy, but some tosses to Clark, a couple slants or hooks to Wayne. This will server two purposes, one it will get Collins into the flow a bit and I think it will completely shock the Texans and loosen up the Lbers. The three main things to look for is: If Collins and the WR/TEs are on the same page as far as coverages, what routes are expected and soft spots in the zone. 2. On running plays if Collins can get back quick enough to make the hand-off in a timely fashion. 3. How well the running backs work with the oline. Not just is pass protection (filling in where the hole in the zone will be) but also when running... is the hole opening where they are expecting it to open.

D-LINE

This is the unit I can't wait to watch. Not only did Moala show the skills necessary to become a Top 10 DT in the NFL, Mookie played well, and Nevis was an excellent surprise. Add to that the Colts becoming specialized with the addition of Brayton and Anderson, both of whom played well in the last two games of the preseason. So, what of the main things to watch for is the number of snaps that Freeney and Mathis get. I still think they are the best DE tandem in the NFL, but if they are limited to 25-30 snaps a game I think that will be better for everyone, except the opponent. Both can cause a lot of havoc in that amount of snaps and they can be doing it well into the 4th quarter when it will be needed the most. Next watch for the different package. Common running downs I think everyone agrees we will see Brayton, Mookie, Moala, Anderson but watch for how they mix it up during the game and which combination is most effective. Personally, I think a lineup of Freeney, Moala, Nevis and Anderson could be the most well rounded lineup, being able to pressure the QB and defend against the run equally well. Lastly, the thing everyone wants to see, pressure up the middle... will the Colts get it. I think yes, they did a great job of it in the preseason and I don't expect that to change.

LINEBACKERS

This will be an interesting unit. Angerer plays well in spurts and is still young and learning. We know what we will see with Brackett and Conner is a force against the run, not so much against the pass. IMO, the biggest downfall of the Colts D in the preseason was that 8-12 yard pass from 5 yards outside the right hash to 5 yards outside the left hash. And in a Cover 2 type D, that falls on the Lbers. Sims coming in with the nickel package should help with that, but the Texans are a passing team so Conner is going to have to have to play the pass a lot. The big thing to look for is how they play the bootleg that Houston loves to run. There was a perfect example of how to play it in the Cincy game. Wheeler was the SAM and the Bengals did a bootleg to the strong side. Wheeler, found the TE, dropped back in coverage while Thomas came up to the QB. The result was the QB scrambled for about a 1 or 2 yard gain. If they can play the bootleg effectively it will take away a huge staple of the Texans offense. The next is how the Lbers react to the pass. As mentioned above, even though the dline was getting pressure all around the QB was able to complete a lot of passes in the middle of the field in the 8-12 yard range, they need to break a few of those up. Lastly, watch for how they fill those gaps on running plays. This is a discipline D. Everyone on the front seven has to maintain their discipline, if not there will be huge holes for the Rbs to run through. Angerer and Wheeler were the best at maintaining their gaps in the preseason. Conner has a tendency to ad lib and run around blockers rather than just sacrificing his body to fill a gap.

SECONDAY

A lot of people have questions about this unit but I think it is the best group since 2006 when the Colts had Nick the knife Harper, Jason David as the starters and Jackson and Hayden as the back-ups. Watch for aggressiveness. Houston has, perhaps, the best WR in the league in Johnson (A) and an excellent receiving TE in Daniels, outside of those two the have a stable of solid but unspectacular WRs. Still the secondary is going to have their hands full against both the pass and run support. Watch for what the safeties do against the run, if they hesitate to come up in run support or not and where they are expecting the runs to go. The Texans move Johnson around a lot and I expect him to line up against Lacey most of the day, especially if Caldwell is playing rather than Bethea (because of the hammy).

SPECIAL TEAMS

Coverage units looked much improved in the preseason, let's see if that carries over to the regular season. If Lefeged does punt returns it will be interesting to watch him. He did a good job on KR, let's see if those skills translate to PR as well. KR will be fun to watch, initially, to see if teams try to kick higher so the ball comes down around the goal line. The 5 yards helps the coverage unit as well because they do not have to run as far.

Other than that, I expect MacAfee to average about 50 yards per punt and AV to hit his FGs.

COACHING

Mainly just watch the game planning on both sides of the ball. I don't expect the D to be that much different. The biggest difference on O is, I do not think the Colts will run the no huddle as much like they do with Manning. But I expect the plays they call based on down and distance to be about the same as normal, except a few more runs on 2nd down. When the Colts and Manning started doing that last year (even if 1st down run got no yardage) the Colts started running the ball really well. On the D side, as mentioned before, watch the different packages used based on down and distance and then how those are adjusted based on what is happening in the games.

There are many other things to watch for, I just tried to highlight some that I found important and/or that I think the board finds important.

Be sure to read Superman's grades immediately after the game. :) Just kidding, I doubt if he will do them immediately after the game.

that was great, i will read it before every game

QUARTERBACKS

OFFENSIVE LINE

BACKS, TIGHT ENDS AND WR

D-LINE

LINEBACKERS

SECONDAY

SPECIAL TEAMS

COACHING

Another great read Coffee, I enjoy your posts.

My things to watch for:

Obviously Kerry Collins

The Texans new and rejuvanated defense... especially the pass rush

Let's see if hte Colts run more than they pass

You just got me thinking, why doesn't anyone remember the Texan's game in Indy? Our depleted D did a pretty good job if I recall.

You just got me thinking, why doesn't anyone remember the Texan's game in Indy? Our depleted D did a pretty good job if I recall.

That's when we had Kelvin Hayden, who got a pick 6 in that game. Things are different now, you can't compare it to last year's Week 8 game.

The one big thing that I am looking for that is not on your list (because it is not X's and O's):

INTANGIBLES

What kind of fight does this team have in it without Manning at the helm? When they struggle (and they WILL struggle), will they roll over and die or will they dig in and fight through to the end? There is a lot of veteran leadership on this team, but do they really believe that they are a good team even without Manning, or are there seeds of doubt that will take root and choke their confidence when they get smacked around? Losing Manning will be a huge blow, but do they have the resilience to rebound and fight it out?

The Colts fan in me hates the possibility of losing Manning for the entire season. The football fan in me is very interested to see how it is going to play out, though. We will settle once and for all the debate about just how much Manning carries this team.

They did. That was the game where Mathis went out and Hughes came in and actually played better than Mathis had been playing.

That was the game where Hart came in as the starter and averaged 7 yards per carry, Brown in relief averaged like 1.8.

If I remember correctly Foster still had a good game 100+ yards but it was much more erratic than the first game, meaning he had some longer gains but a lot more 1 and 2 yard gains.

My things to watch for:

Obviously Kerry Collins

The Texans new and rejuvanated defense... especially the pass rush

Let's see if hte Colts run more than they pass

Maybe im being overly optimistic... But the texans switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with no OTA's and a shortend traing camp.. Im glad we are playing them week 1.. Peyton would have chewed em up

Maybe im being overly optimistic... But the texans switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with no OTA's and a shortend traing camp.. Im glad we are playing them week 1.. Peyton would have chewed em up

I think this is getting little to no play. Everyone talks about our offensive line with new faces and how long it takes to be effective. I say the same thing regarding the Defense. I have heard they only have one player playing the same position as last year on there D.

This will take time to gel as a unit Defensively. I think this is the biggest reason I will not be surprised if we sneak one through on the texans on Sunday.

There are two options in this game, we lose or we win. There will be no tie.

Neither will tell us anything on how the entire season will play out.

OFFENSIVE LINE

COACHING

These are the two area I will really be watching. Did we fix the O-line? How does AC look? Is Link going to prove to be the umm, weak link? Can we run the frickin' ball?

And coaching...do we recognize that this is a different Colts team than we have with Manning? It will be fun to watch the possibility of a different style of ball.

I am so excited. Heck, I'm excited for kickoff tonight!!!

I agree with everything that was posted, but especially what you said about the Texans expecting a heavy dose of running plays. A little "dink & dunk" to start the game would really help all facets of the offense.

I look forward to reading your posts the rest of the season. WELL DONE!

From what they have been saying on the radio that Reggie and Dallas have been very impressed with Collins. We have yet to see it until Sunday, but its at least good to have there stamp on it.

I hope we keep it close, and we have a chance at the end.

Keys to Victory:

1. Win the turnover Battle

2. Control the LOS

3. Keep 3rd down manageable on offense

4th and most important: score more than they do (the offical Blueredzone key to victory)

From what they have been saying on the radio that Reggie and Dallas have been very impressed with Collins. We have yet to see it until Sunday, but its at least good to have there stamp on it.

Keys to Victory:

2. Control the LOS

4th and most important: score more than they do (the offical Blueredzone key to victory)

You are so right about #1

I guess Number 4 would help as well!

I am also curious to see how the safeties play the run. I'm assuming they will focus primarily on coverage as our run defense has vastly (or seemed to have vastly)improved. From what I have seen, we don't need the "eraser" type of safety in Bob Sanders because of our beefed up front 7. That is good because I think our corners will need all the help they can get especially early in the season until they get some quality NFL experience (our young guys that is. I'm not sure what will help Lacey but I am still hopeful).

Keys to Victory:

2. Control the LOS

I agree with this as a key to the game. This thread was not meant to be a keys to winning, if it turned into that, I apologize.