Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Castonzo May Not Start Due To Lockout says National Football Post

bayone

By

Dan Pompei of the National Football Post.

*The lockout has dimmed the hopes of the Colts’ coaching staff for Anthony Castonzo. With the benefit of a full offseason, the Colts thought Castonzo might have been able to step right in and start at left tackle from day one. Without OTAs, the Colts are dubious about Castonzo’s chances to be an immediate starter. They do believe he will be a quick study however. It’s possible at some point during the season he will be ready to start.

My Thoughts

Think about that the coaches then also must not have much hope that Ijalana will start on the right side, they were always more vocal regarding Castonzo than Ilalana

CJ Now will surly be signed & may command more $, What about Diem Now ???

Once u use link Scroll down 1/3 or so to the section called ++ Things I Didn’t Used To Know ++ but i copied all that was on the colts, rest is long article on m,any topics

My link

Well if Castonzo the bio-chemist won't start, then there's no way Ilalana will. Last I checked, Castonzo was still delivering pizza's during the lockout as many rookies were "struggling" to support themselves. I don't know if pizza deliveries will help protect Manning.

Peyton Manning is too important to risk getting injured. The play Manning finally gets injured on (if ever), you can bet everyone is going to dissect that play from top to bottom to see which o-linemen was the culprit. If it gets traced to Castonzo or Ilalana, they'll be wracked with guilt they don't necessarily deserve.

So... Diem, get your *** in here. Don't smile too hard... you're signing on for another year, and stop standing so close to me or I'll throw a flag at you.

Well if Castonzo the bio-chemist won't start, then there's no way Ilalana will. Last I checked, Castonzo was still delivering pizza's during the lockout as many rookies were "struggling" to support themselves. I don't know if pizza deliveries will help protect Manning.

Peyton Manning is too important to risk getting injured. The play Manning finally gets injured on (if ever), you can bet everyone is going to dissect that play from top to bottom to see which o-linemen was the culprit. If it gets traced to Castonzo or Ilalana, they'll be wracked with guilt they don't necessarily deserve.

So... Diem, get your *** in here. Don't smile too hard... you're signing on for another year, and stop standing so close to me or I'll throw a flag at you.

:rock:

I can't help but feel it won't be that big an issue. Yeah, the coaches won't get to Castonzo, but Peyton will and probably has. I'm sure Peyton knows all of the blocking schemes the O-line uses and will be able to teach Castonzo.

the article was as stated from the National Football Post and believe it was simply an opinion, though he is a descent reporter, not great BUT do doubt highly Colts staff would of said anything to him so untill we here officially just get this lockout over and get our guys in gear

one problem is Diem would of definitely been cut i believe and cap room made, now not that sure & we could use all the cap room & roster spots available

Isn't saying he may not start pretty much the same thing as he may start?

I don't know how anyone would know Castonzo not starting to be true given he has yet to practice with the team and his coaches. Seems like they just needed something to write about with all the football nothingnessgoing on right now.

I don't know how anyone would know Castonzo not starting to be true given he has yet to practice with the team and his coaches. Seems like they just needed something to write about with all the football nothingnessgoing on right now.

as I noted I highly doubt Colts Staff would talk about this , the author is guessing based on time missed working out & learning

Authors Background

Dan Pompei, who writes analysis and opinions for the National Football Post, has covered the National Football League for a quarter of a century. He currently writes about the NFL and Bears for the Chicago Tribune. He previously authored the NFL Insider column for The Sporting News. He is one of 44 members on the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors board and also is one of nine members on the seniors committee. He has covered 23 Super Bowls and served as a pool reporter at five Super Bowls.

My link

You think it was a leak? The author doesn't say how he knows what he is saying. I was assuming he had a psychic vision

It's just a smokescreen leaked by the front office to counter Bill's brag about Hughes last spring. If he's good enough, he'll get his shot sooner rather than later.

Well of course this is derived from an absolute void in substantial NFL news, aside from the CBA game.

A first round draft pick is, more often than not, expected to start. This report may serve to temper such expectations. With good reason, I might add.

You essentially answered your own question. "I don't know how anyone would know Castonzo not starting to be true" followed by "he has yet to practice with the team".

LG/RG are, under any circumstances, high end cerebral positions. Combine the very nature of this position with the added complexity of a Manning led offense and a far delayed start to any semblance of synergy or practice, and we have been provided ample reason to put some merit to this report.

Dude, you really need to get over your Polianphobia it makes you look petty and dumb.

No it doesn't, and you need to take off your Polian Shaped glasses. See, two can play at that game! He went out on a limb last year and got it soooo wrong, it is logical he doesn't want to make the same mistake again. If only he'd learned about resting starters, eh!!

I can't help but feel it won't be that big an issue. Yeah, the coaches won't get to Castonzo, but Peyton will and probably has. I'm sure Peyton knows all of the blocking schemes the O-line uses and will be able to teach Castonzo.

Manning might be the closest thing to a coach on the field and may know the offense inside-out but at the end of the day, he's a QB, not a position coach and will not be able to teach technique or correct errors in fundamentals - all he can do is teach the offense from a schematic point of view.

Working with the best QB in the world is no substitute for having time with dedicated position coaches who can review film with you and point out mistakes and coach em up

Having said that, if there's one consolation, then it's the fact that linemen are usually a position that can best make an immediate impact as rookies

Well of course this is derived from an absolute void in substantial NFL news, aside from the CBA game.

A first round draft pick is, more often than not, expected to start. This report may serve to temper such expectations. With good reason, I might add.

You essentially answered your own question. "I don't know how anyone would know Castonzo not starting to be true" followed by "he has yet to practice with the team".

LG/RG are, under any circumstances, high end cerebral positions. Combine the very nature of this position with the added complexity of a Manning led offense and a far delayed start to any semblance of synergy or practice, and we have been provided ample reason to put some merit to this report.

You can spare telling me the expectations of a first round pick. This is something that I am more than accutely aware of. That and the intellectual requirements of o linemen playing with Peyton Manning.

My point is the article says nothing. Castonzo may not know the lingo now but he will given every opportunity to play. If he picks things up, great. If not, CJ and Diem may be back in the line up. In either case, we have no idea.

You can spare telling me the expectations of a first round pick. This is something that I am more than accutely aware of. That and the intellectual requirements of o linemen playing with Peyton Manning.

Whoa there cowboy......not accusing you of ignorance. Was just saying my bit on the subject.

No it doesn't, and you need to take off your Polian Shaped glasses. See, two can play at that game! He went out on a limb last year and got it soooo wrong, it is logical he doesn't want to make the same mistake again. If only he'd learned about resting starters, eh!!

Yep all of Polian's mistakes....like winning the exec of the year award 6 times...like choosing Peyton over Ryan Leaf and Edge over Williams. It looks like people forget about all of the brilliant moves Polian has made over the years eg Saturday, Sanders, Addai, Bracket, Bethea etc. And that's just with Indy. I am a definite believer in Polian and I feel Bill and his son made all of the correct moves in the draft this year. Also, to say Polian got it sooo wrong last year...it is way too early to tell! First Hughes is a backup to two pro bowl defensive ends. Noone will rest a pro bowler just to give a rookie some playing time, especially when our defense is based on getting pressure from our front four. It also takes more than a year for a defensive lineman to mature and transition from college to the pros (unless you are a very special player like Suh). I personally think Polian made the correct decision in getting Hughes, especially since he did not know what the salary cap would be like after the new CBA. Polian wasn't sure if he would be able to afford Mathis after his contract year (this season).

As far as Costanzo is concerned I am feeling more and more confident that he will start this year. Give him a few days of working with Peyton and the rest of the O Line, and battling against Mathis and Freeney won't hurt either. I hope he plays nearly the whole pre-season to get his feet wet so he will be ready to go against the Texans' new 3-4 defense week 1.

I know we all love Manning, but this is just going a bit to far. Manning may know where the blocking goes and the in and outs of the offense, but he is still not an OL guru. Manning is not going to be able to teach Castonzo the technique great OL have. He is not going to be tacking him themes and outs of blocking.

The lockout is really going to hurt all of the rookies development for all teams.

I have no doubt by playoff time Catonzo will be starting, but I really doubt he will be starting game one.

Yep all of Polian's mistakes....like winning the exec of the year award 6 times...like choosing Peyton over Ryan Leaf and Edge over Williams. It looks like people forget about all of the brilliant moves Polian has made over the years eg Saturday, Sanders, Addai, Bracket, Bethea etc. And that's just with Indy. I am a definite believer in Polian and I feel Bill and his son made all of the correct moves in the draft this year. Also, to say Polian got it sooo wrong last year...it is way too early to tell! First Hughes is a backup to two pro bowl defensive ends. Noone will rest a pro bowler just to give a rookie some playing time, especially when our defense is based on getting pressure from our front four. It also takes more than a year for a defensive lineman to mature and transition from college to the pros (unless you are a very special player like Suh). I personally think Polian made the correct decision in getting Hughes, especially since he did not know what the salary cap would be like after the new CBA. Polian wasn't sure if he would be able to afford Mathis after his contract year (this season).

As far as Costanzo is concerned I am feeling more and more confident that he will start this year. Give him a few days of working with Peyton and the rest of the O Line, and battling against Mathis and Freeney won't hurt either. I hope he plays nearly the whole pre-season to get his feet wet so he will be ready to go against the Texans' new 3-4 defense week 1.

Who's forgot the brilliant moves - Manning over Leaf? Are you serious? At best a coin flip. Half of the posters on here would have got that one right. One SB in how many years with Manning and Kelly. Wow.

Clearly he's done some good stuff, but he's also clearly lost it in the past 5 years. Even Marvin had to hang it up. I'm more behind the guys who actually take the field, not the pen pushers who dictate from the box.

Who's forgot the brilliant moves - Manning over Leaf? Are you serious? At best a coin flip. Half of the posters on here would have got that one right. One SB in how many years with Manning and Kelly. Wow.

Clearly he's done some good stuff, but he's also clearly lost it in the past 5 years. Even Marvin had to hang it up. I'm more behind the guys who actually take the field, not the pen pushers who dictate from the box.

In the past 2 years the Colts have gone to two super bowls and won one....yep he's totally lost it

To diminish Polian's role to that of a "pen pusher" is rather over-simplifying. The man constructed some of the most dominant teams in the AFC for the better part of 20 years now.

Who's forgot the brilliant moves - Manning over Leaf? Are you serious? At best a coin flip. Half of the posters on here would have got that one right.

Colt front office character question to Leaf: What would you do if the Colts draft you #1?

Leaf: Go to Vegas!!

Colt front office character question to Manning: What would you do if the Colts draft you #1?

Manning: Get a copy of the playbook and start studying.

The rest is history.

edit to add.....Castonzo will play in game 1 of the regular season.

To diminish Polian's role to that of a "pen pusher" is rather over-simplifying. The man constructed some of the most dominant teams in the AFC for the better part of 20 years now.

Of course I am! Using poetic licence to emphasise a point is fun. As I've said many times, hiw many fans wear Polian Jerseys to games? Zero. It's the players who win matches, not the bureaucrats.

Without Manning, Colts would likely still be struggling along, and certainly without Bill. I just don't think one decision should elevate him to the hero status he holds on here.

Sorry, way off topic. Castonzo will become a starter around week 6 (forecast)!

Of course I am! Using poetic licence to emphasise a point is fun. As I've said many times, hiw many fans wear Polian Jerseys to games? Zero. It's the players who win matches, not the bureaucrats.

Without Manning, Colts would likely still be struggling along, and certainly without Bill. I just don't think one decision should elevate him to the hero status he holds on here.

No one hero is smitten with Polian as a heroic figure head. The man deserves some respect, and conversely, doesn't deserve such disrespect. Yes, It is the race car that crosses the finish line but who built the darn thing?

I agree with your forecast of Costonzo. Due to the lockout, he will be several games late in arriving on the starting roster. But he will get there, and stay there. Solid pick from Polian Jr.

Sorry, way off topic. Castonzo will become a starter around week 6 (forecast)!

Polian isn't a player, he is a GM, GM's don't have jerseys. Players win matches, but solid management builds a good team. And if players win matches, why are you blaming Polian for having just 1 SB win, wouldn't you put the blame on the players?

It hasn't been 1 decision that has so many people respecting and liking Polian, it's been him having good drafts, finding good undrafted rookies and making good trades (McFarland, Tryon to name a few)

SO back to the original topic, Castonzo starting, its just one guys opinion, based on his experience.

Of course he doesnt take into account (as some posting here as well) that Castonzo WAS practicing with the team earlier.

He was working out with other lineman and Manning. It was reported and all over Stampede Blue and 18to88 as well as many posts on the old forum.

So, given that, its likely he does know a little something about the line, and some of the ins and outs.

As much as he would had there been a normal off-season? Probably not, but its not like he has been doing nothing.

Were some of the other lineman smart, and Im sure at least some of them are, they would have given him their playbook to study, or copies of it, and offered to help in any way.

I cant help but think some posters are fairly short sighted at times (arent we all?), to not think something like that is as possible as him sitting around doing nothing football related and not being even close to ready to step in and contribute at a high level from day one.

SO back to the original topic, Castonzo starting, its just one guys opinion, based on his experience.

Of course he doesnt take into account (as some posting here as well) that Castonzo WAS practicing with the team earlier.

He was working out with other lineman and Manning. It was reported and all over Stampede Blue and 18to88 as well as many posts on the old forum.

So, given that, its likely he does know a little something about the line, and some of the ins and outs.

As much as he would had there been a normal off-season? Probably not, but its not like he has been doing nothing.

Were some of the other lineman smart, and Im sure at least some of them are, they would have given him their playbook to study, or copies of it, and offered to help in any way.

I cant help but think some posters are fairly short sighted at times (arent we all?), to not think something like that is as possible as him sitting around doing nothing football related and not being even close to ready to step in and contribute at a high level from day one.

Still, that was only temporary and is not the same as a line coach teaching technigue for various situations and even with that as Freeney says, he loves to school rookie tackles

Polian isn't a player, he is a GM, GM's don't have jerseys. Players win matches, but solid management builds a good team. And if players win matches, why are you blaming Polian for having just 1 SB win, wouldn't you put the blame on the players?

It hasn't been 1 decision that has so many people respecting and liking Polian, it's been him having good drafts, finding good undrafted rookies and making good trades (McFarland, Tryon to name a few)

The one SB barb was to counter those who DO believe GM's are the Gods. But very well spotted! Enough now, I apologise for derailing the topic. My bad...

The one SB barb was to counter those who DO believe GM's are the Gods. But very well spotted! Enough now, I apologise for derailing the topic. My bad...

I dont always agree with u but acknowledge respect when someone steps up and says I apologize

Costanzo is smart and if you're going to play for the Colts' offense intelligence is a must. We drafted him #1, which means he's gonna start. Especially after the way Polian has verbally ripped into the offensive line in past seasons. The organization wants him to start and I bet he wants to start as well.

Costanzo is smart and if you're going to play for the Colts' offense intelligence is a must. We drafted him #1, which means he's gonna start. Especially after the way Polian has verbally ripped into the offensive line in past seasons. The organization wants him to start and I bet he wants to start as well.

2010 - Hughes did not start

2009 - Brown did not start

2007 - Gonzo did not start

2006 - Addai did not start

2005 - Jackson did not start

Using his status as a # 1 pick to mean he will start is countered by the evidence above.