Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brian Cushing out for the season?

FightLikeSin

"@McClain_on_NFL : Brian Cushing appears to be done for season with a torn ACL. Tim Dobbins replaced him. What a loss for the Texans' defense."

After a cheap shot from Matt Slauson...Cushing is out for the season with a torn ACL according to one source.

As a Colts fan, it certainly makes a matchup against the Texans look better on paper, but as a football fan I don't wanna see anyone get injured and certainly not another member of the AFC South getting taken out like that by a JET. They still have a legit shot at going to the SB, but that road is going to be much harder without that guy.

Hope he has a speedy recovery. He's fun to watch.

This type of injury is famous for altering a very aggressive player's style. When they mak a comeback it is typically noted they are "not the same player". Recall Cushing's head butt on a Cleveland Browns player when Cushing had no helmet on and the Browns player did!! This will feel very bad on this young player to have to sit the sidelines while his team goes for the crown. I wish him the best and hope he comes back with avengance.

I seen Clay Matthews (a college teammate of Cushing) is going off on the league for the cheap shot ... asking about the double standard with regards to player safety...

That chop block was very ugly!

I think Matthews is 100% right. I ***hate*** chop blocks. And if the NFL is going to claim to be concerned about player safety, then they should do something. And the NFLPA should fight for it.

You know who supports things like chop blocks and leg whips? OL coaches who don't have much talent and their players can't win in an honest man to man approach. So, they've got to resort to chop blocks. It's *. That's a premier player who is now out for the rest of the season due to something stupid like this.

A change in this rule can't come fast enough..... :wall:

Teams this year seem very eager to take our stars out. If you can't beat them, injure them. Sickening.

Schaub and now Cushing right? yea.

We haven't had many injuries off of cheap shots, but we've had multiple defenders hitting Luck late out of bounds...seems like when they get frustrated, they go after him.

there have been a lot of cheap shots all over the NFL. you just notice it more when its your guys

Yeah, Jeff Fisher's goon Finnegan always takes a shot after the whistle, times it just right to make it seem like he could not hold back. He had done that for years with the Colts in our division, now those tactics are prevalent with the Rams. RG3 just vocalized what we have seen for years with Fisher's teams coached D by Chuck Cecil, a chippy bunch forever.

Rodney Harrison used to do that as well, just thought I'd throw that in too. :)

Yeah, Jeff Fisher's goon Finnegan always takes a shot after the whistle, times it just right to make it seem like he could not hold back. He had done that for years with the Colts in our division, now those tactics are prevalent with the Rams. RG3 just vocalized what we have seen for years with Fisher's teams coached D by Chuck Cecil, a chippy bunch forever.

Rodney Harrison used to do that as well, just thought I'd throw that in too. :)

Ask a few people around here about that and they'll say that Griffin was whining. :) I'm not surprised a Jeff Fisher team is using dirty tactics...and you spelled his name wrong, man. It's Innegan, remember?

Teams this year seem very eager to take our stars out. If you can't beat them, injure them. Sickening.

I severely doubt the intent was to take Cushing out. Slauson whiffed on the block and made an incredibly ill-advised move in desperation to make up for it and try to keep the play alive (which it ultimately didn't). It probably should have been flagged... but those kinds of plays do happen and the intent is rarely malicious.

Let's be honest, the kind of ZBS that Alex Gibbs was known to coach up and serves as the basis of the Texans and Redskins run scheme featured a lot of cut blocking. Most of it is harmless but every now and then this kind of thing will happen.

Texans should be fine.

But, the Jets better not take out any Colts. :thmdown::no: We are having enough issues fielding enough guys in some areas as is. One more injury at CB and fans might start trying out and Irsay is crazy enough to hold a fan competition.

I agree about the double standard stuff. It's not fair that QB's might as well come with red flags hanging off their belt and defensive players are allowed to be face-masked and take hits like Cushing did. It's not right at all.

defensive players have brought the new rules on themselves. they have spent the last 20 years utilizing spearing the qb in the head....late hits, etc...pretty much trying to injure. after seeing the the shaub hit it's ridiculous that was legal just a few years ago. and after watching a little coaches tape on nfl network....you gotta have some balls to play quarterback.

Ouch blow to the Texans for sure. Hate to see anyone lost for the year.

That was a cut block, not a chop block. One is legal, one is not. I do believe that they should not let players cut block from behind like that. Also, you do not hear much complaining by the Texans, probably because they cut block more than most.

That was a cut block, not a chop block. One is legal, one is not. I do believe that they should not let players cut block from behind like that. Also, you do not hear much complaining by the Texans, probably because they cut block more than most.

Umm okay. I didn't say anything about the play he was hurt on let alone if it was a dirty block or not. I was just saying him bring out is a blow to the texans and that I hate to see anyone hurt.

The NFL needs to eliminate this kind of thing. If you're going to protect offensive players you have to protect defensive players too. Cushing never even saw Slausson.

The Bronocs have historically been a team that employs a lot of this type of strategy in blocking schemes... it's gotta go.

The NFL needs to eliminate this kind of thing. If you're going to protect offensive players you have to protect defensive players too. Cushing never even saw Slausson.

The Bronocs have historically been a team that employs a lot of this type of strategy in blocking schemes... it's gotta go.

The NFL does need to put an end to this. How many Knees and ankles are messed up a season from this.

Umm okay. I didn't say anything about the play he was hurt on let alone if it was a dirty block or not. I was just saying him bring out is a blow to the texans and that I hate to see anyone hurt.

Sorry, I did not mean to quote you. When I use my tablet to make a post, using a quote, it sometimes brings up the wrong quote for some reason.

I seen Clay Matthews (a college teammate of Cushing) is going off on the league for the cheap shot ... asking about the double standard with regards to player safety...

That chop block was very ugly!

True..but its player-on-player...union member on union member..

Apparently this guy was silent when his labor rep asked him about anything he wanted to bring up in the labor-management negotiations..

If the majority of the players had wanted this type of block to be illegal...no owner would be against it...they dont want their linemen hurt....it costs them money

so take it up with the NFLPA..,..or shut up about it..

players dont cry about helmet to helmet hits and those make you kill yourself when you're 50