Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

why doesn't Carter get any playing time?

hambone35

I don't understand why carter does not get significant play time in my opinion he's way better than brown he does have a little bit fumbling issues but what are the coaches seeing iam not? I feel it should be carter and ballard mean i don't have anything against brown and i realise our o line play needs alot of help but cmon what do we have to loose

I agree that he should be playing time. I am not sure why he would be benched in favor of Moore. Moore is redundant since Ballard can do what he can do. Carter can actually move a pile and is a good north-south runner. I think with us having a bad O-Line it would be even more reason for Carter to play.

How is he better than Brown?

He didn't do better than him last year, he wans't better than him in the preseaosn or TC. He's not even better than Ballard, imo.

Now, this upcoming part is my opinion... I think he tries a different kind of running back. He's 225 pounds, but he doesn't like to take on too many hits. He likes to juke, and you know what, he just can't do that. At least Ballard goes head on on every run and plays like his size.

My point for Carter though, he isn't intelligent, he has fumbling problems and he doesn't have a great motor.

How is he better than Brown?

He didn't do better than him last year, he wans't better than him in the preseaosn or TC. He's not even better than Ballard, imo.

Now, this upcoming part is my opinion... I think he tries a different kind of running back. He's 225 pounds, but he doesn't like to take on too many hits. He likes to juke, and you know what, he just can't do that. At least Ballard goes head on on every run and plays like his size.

My point for Carter though, he isn't intelligent, he has fumbling problems and he doesn't have a great motor.

Can I ask what you're basing the assertion of Carter lacking intelligence on? I'm not saying he is or he isn't...just curious what you have to base that on. Did you read it on PFF? ;)

I don't understand why carter does not get significant play time in my opinion he's way better than brown he does have a little bit fumbling issues but what are the coaches seeing iam not? I feel it should be carter and ballard mean i don't have anything against brown and i realise our o line play needs alot of help but cmon what do we have to loose

Oh, you clearly have nothing against Brown. *Slaps Knee whilst laughing*

Cuz it doesn't really matter who runs the ball. The short passing game is our running game, because it actually takes the front 4 out (kinda like an Oline is supposed to do), and allows the back or WR to try to make someone miss in the open field. Brown is actually a pretty good back, especially with the ball in his hands. If he had more opportunities and some semblance of run blocking, he would be a stud.

Actually Delone Carter been healthy for like 3 weeks now according to Phillip Wilson on twitter it's just we carry 3 backs on gamedays (Brown, Ballard, and Moore) with Moore being questionable hopefully we see a Carter sighting I love this man's running style. Could really use his presence in the short yardage and red zone because Ballard has been a disappointment for me not just running wise but he has whiffed on a few blocking assignments out there( i don't know I just don't see the samething y'all see in Ballard but that's just me) and I just can't wrap my mind over Moore in the backfield in the redzone. I just hope Carter will get a chance at some point in the season.

Actually Delone Carter been healthy for like 3 weeks now according to Phillip Wilson on twitter it's just we carry 3 backs on gamedays (Brown, Ballard, and Moore) with Moore being questionable hopefully we see a Carter sighting I love this man's running style. Could really use his presence in the short yardage and red zone because Ballard has been a disappointment for me not just running wise but he has whiffed on a few blocking assignments out there( i don't know I just don't see the samething y'all see in Ballard but that's just me) and I just can't wrap my mind over Moore in the backfield in the redzone. I just hope Carter will get a chance at some point in the season.

I saw some place on twitter this week he's still questionable with a rib injury. With that said if he's healthy he should at least dress this week we have enough hurt other players we might only have to scratch one healthy player who would in all likely hood be harnish.

I think he said he's been healthy enough to practice, which doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to play. We've had several guys practice fully yet be scratches. A chest injury and a known fumble tendency isn't a good combination on game day.

I agree that Moore has looked bad and Ballard just doesn't look like he's NFL ready right now. Carter is our best short yardage guy, assuming he holds onto the ball.

I think he said he's been healthy enough to practice, which doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to play. We've had several guys practice fully yet be scratches. A chest injury and a known fumble tendency isn't a good combination on game day.

I agree that Moore has looked bad and Ballard just doesn't look like he's NFL ready right now. Carter is our best short yardage guy, assuming he holds onto the ball.

"@pwilson24: @tonywiltshire Delone Carter is good to go and has been. Colts just haven't given him chance yet. Don't know what that's about."

That's his response to a fan that asked for an update on delone Carter 2 days ago

http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/nfl/players/player28191.html

Not the best source in the world but still lists him as questionable for the packers game on Sunday. Either way I think it's been established he has had a rib injury that has accounted for some of why he hasn't been playing. My other guess is that he's viewed as a specialty back and right now they think they have a greater need for a third down back than a short yardage back. With that said if Moore can't go Sunday and carter is healthy I am sure carter will get a chance.

Carter has more burst than Ballard, and a little wiggle. Carter had a number of nice runs last year

Can I ask what you're basing the assertion of Carter lacking intelligence on? I'm not saying he is or he isn't...just curious what you have to base that on. Did you read it on PFF? ;)

I base his intelligence on many things. For starters, he doesn't run through the right holes. Last year, the O-line would open up a big hole through the 2 gap (for example) and he would cut back in and try to run to the other side. That doesn't work and he did that in college to. His reading (not actual reading) skills are poor, something that I've noticed and many scouts have noticed. It was one of his faults coming out of college. That's number 1.

Number 2, and this is something maybe you noticed too, but who knows? He doesn't play a brash hard style of play. He's 225 pounds and thick as heck, the guy needs to start taking hits head on. He doesn't do that, he likes to try to avoid tackles, when realistically he can't because his jukes and deking skills aren't good. This could also fall in intelligence, but I iike to make it a seperate thing.

Now, I don't think this is the reason he isn't starting; I think this is the reason he didn't produce last year when he had the chance. Because he didn't produce, it was easy to find a replacement, and that's why they got Ballard.

Don't think I use PFF that much, I use it occasionally usually for other games.

Umm the whole game? And carter is not bettee than brown...not even close

I base his intelligence on many things. For starters, he doesn't run through the right holes. Last year, the O-line would open up a big hole through the 2 gap (for example) and he would cut back in and try to run to the other side. That doesn't work and he did that in college to. His reading (not actual reading) skills are poor, something that I've noticed and many scouts have noticed. It was one of his faults coming out of college. That's number 1.

Number 2, and this is something maybe you noticed too, but who knows? He doesn't play a brash hard style of play. He's 225 pounds and thick as heck, the guy needs to start taking hits head on. He doesn't do that, he likes to try to avoid tackles, when realistically he can't because his jukes and deking skills aren't good. This could also fall in intelligence, but I iike to make it a seperate thing.

Now, I don't think this is the reason he isn't starting; I think this is the reason he didn't produce last year when he had the chance. Because he didn't produce, it was easy to find a replacement, and that's why they got Ballard.

Don't think I use PFF that much, I use it occasionally usually for other games.

ok, i can buy some of that. Though if I can make a suggestion, I'd specify that he may lack football intelligence, not intelligence in general. He could be a very intelligent person in general and just not possess football intelligence. You may consider this a minor gripe but I don't think it's right to say he lacks intelligence, in general, just based on his play on the field.

I haven't seen anything that says he is hurt. Maybe in the preseason but that was a rib injury.

We know he didn't practice the first week. After that, we're not sure. IMHO the rib/chest injury must still concern the staff because we haven't really seen much from Moore or Ballard yet they're ahead of him. But he beat out Evans, so apparently they still think he can play.

IDK, I hope he's back soon.

I really liked what little I've seen of Carter. What a waste of a good pick. I don't think he fumbled even once is his college career. I can only speculate that he's continued fumbling in practice as we've seen him do during live action. It's strange that his hands would get all buttery after establishing a reputation for not turning the ball over.

I really liked what little I've seen of Carter. What a waste of a good pick. I don't think he fumbled even once is his college career. I can only speculate that he's continued fumbling in practice as we've seen him do during live action. It's strange that his hands would get all buttery after establishing a reputation for not turning the ball over.

http://forums.colts....ard-in-college/

Though before I saw the thread I quoted, I had your mindset. I thought it was really surprising that Carter would just start fumbling after being known to have fairly sure hands in college.

Considering how much we've passed the ball. We never needed more than three backs in the game. Moore has never excited me, but he's perhaps a better blocker than Carter in third and long situations. Ballard also overlaps Carter's role as a third down pounder back.