Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hughes And Brown

ColtsHoosiersBB

Colts  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Are they a Top 10 Team in the NFL

I don't think these guys make the final cut if they were undrafted free agents and not

top draft choices on this team.

Does Hughes beat out Chick, Anderson and Brayton? Hughes has no strength and is not fast enough to get around the corner to beat out all of these guys out of a roster spot.

I would pick Evans and James over Brown, to backup Addai and Carter. He will be the #2

backup, because he is Polians Coveted #1 draft pick.

If these guys were UDFA's, they would not sniff the 53 man roster. Thoughts???

I don't think these guys make the final cut if they were undrafted free agents and not

top draft choices on this team.

Does Hughes beat out Chick, Anderson and Brayton? Hughes has no strength and is not fast enough to get around the corner to beat out all of these guys out of a roster spot.

I would pick Evans and James over Brown, to backup Addai and Carter. He will be the #2

backup, because he is Polians Coveted #1 draft pick.

If these guys were UDFA's, they would not sniff the 53 man roster. Thoughts???

if i saw it right wheeler was playing in hughes spot when wheeler got the sack? what was this?

Does your question suppose that Brown has no past history to look at? I've seen him tear around the left side for a 15-30 yard gain enough times to want him on my team. And he's very effective catching the ball as well. He's not going anywhere, nor should he.

I think fondly of James because of Edge, but he's not in the same league. His average yards per carry last year was horrific and he has neither big play potential nor any special short yardage skills. A better question might be 1) How many RBs will the Colts carry, and 2) If only 4, will James be able to hold off Evans and Span. Personally I doubt it.

Hughes has tons of speed. I've seen him whip around the left side and close in on the QB on multiple occasions this pre-season. I haven't noticed Chick at all except for one play yesterday chasing the backup QB towards the sideline. It's true that Hughes often looks weak, but I'd like to think that muscle can be added and techniques learned. He's just starting his second season for crying out loud. Hughes isn't going anywhere either, nor should he be. I don't think he's competing with Anderson or Brayton - they are different types of players. The question is whether whether both Anderson and Brayton make the team - if not, which one?

I get a little tired of people making snide comments suggesting that Polian acts irrationally to protect his ego. #1 picks get more leeway partially because it is expensive to dump them before their initial salaries expire, and partially because they have first round talent. Every blessed team in the league does the same thing.

I'm waiting for the two of them to prove some of you wrong about them. Jerry Hughes is the fastest defense end besides Dwight on this team. http://www.nfl.com/videos/st-louis-rams/09000d5d82172223/Bradford-six-yard-TD-pass Although the other team scored you can clearly see how fast Jerry Hughes is. One more second and that was a sack.

You get the trout for this one. :trout: . Robert Mathis is arguably the fastest

DE on the team. " I said arguably, Freeney lovers".

Hughes gets manhandled and pushed out of the play, more often than not.If he had a little bit of strenght to go along with his speed, he would be alright.

You get the trout for this one. :trout: . Robert Mathis is arguably the fastest

DE on the team. " I said arguably, Freeney lovers".

Hughes gets manhandled and pushed out of the play, more often than not.If he had a little bit of strenght to go along with his speed, he would be alright.

could hughes play linebacker?

Hughes would make it, not sure about Brown. This is only the start of Hughes' 2nd season. No way do you give up on him already. Thats why I laugh when people suggest we keep Chick over Hughes. Chick is almost 29 yrs. old with no NFL experience and Hughes just barely turned 23. I know Hughes has struggled so far but he has a lot of time to improve. Chick has reached his potential and thats not much.

I think that it might take a while during the season but that Donald Brown won't produce without a mile wide hole to run through while Joe and Carter will produce with nothing, let alone when nice holes opened up. I guess I'm indifferent on DB but do think without a doubt Carter will eventually be #2 & during this season most likely. Not really sure what they will do with Evans. Donald has potential to be the best RB in open space but id rather have two solid consistent strong RBs who can move people with Joe and Carter. Carter can block as well!!

I picked no for the poll, in terms of Jerry, he needs to step up this year.

I am done with Brown I say cut him. It's one thing to stink when all the running backs stink. It's another to stink when Addai, Carter, James and Evans are all getting very nice runs behind the exact same line and Brown still can't get more than three yards a carry.

As for Hughes I am seeing progress from him. He still looks a little weak and needs some more time in the weight room I think. You don't give up on a first round pick after one year.

It's way too soon to get rid of Hughes. Defensive linemen need at least 2-3 years to develop before you can make a judgement on them.

Evidence? Look at Fili Moala. People were ready to give up on him the past few years. This year (his 3rd), he absolutely looks like a total stud. Ask Coffeedrinker, and you'd think he was the best D-lineman in the entire league. :D

Brown has been short on performance. Last year he had the Jax game that was great. He sewems to go down with the first contact. Hughes is fast but cant shed a block or hold up at the point of attack. Make him a linebacker,special teams or something. I guess time will tell with both. Not a lot of patience these days. There was a time when a rookie QB rode the bench until he was 30 before he played.

Obviously we will know how the coaches view each player in comparison to their teammates when the final 53 rolls out. They watch them more frequently, and a lot more closely than any of us, so...yeah.

Brown's probably entering his last chances. Hughes still has time. He's a DE, after all, in this system. I'd give him this season, and perhaps even next season.

Brown's probably entering his last chances. Hughes still has time. He's a DE, after all, in this system. I'd give him this season, and perhaps even next season.

Hughes, I'd definitely give him this season to show us what he can do. 3 years is a good time frame by which you should expect a high draft pick to contribute on the defensive line. Brown is playing RB, a position that should be easier to contribute as a high draft pick. Carter has already shown more vision and it is not just Carter, other RBs like Baby J as well. Brown is on his last leg this year.

donald brown just seems to be an average runner, he doesnt show any unique skills when running with the ball , when i see players like addai and carter, they run fiercely but also with flair, they seem to have that certain ability to make defenders miss or juke em out...unfortunately DB doesnt have it, he is straight up an avg player , cut him or trade him for a pick , w/e we can get

How can you not criticize Polian on his draft picks lately? He is striking out far more than he is hitting home runs. Looks like this year could be an exception but still too early to tell.

because beyond round one he has hit some real homerooms lately, Collie, Garcon, Powers, McAfee, Moala just to name a few. His first round picks (Hughes and Brown) have not lived up to expectations so far but beyond that he has probably gotten as much if not more value out of the draft than anyone else drafting. If you want to rip him for the round one misses you have to give him credit for the hits.

With that said this years class looks very promisng. Castonzo has already played his way into the starting line up. Ijalana has shown some promise. Nevis is pushing for a starting job. Carter is a beat to bring down. The only one who isn't making an impact yet is Rucker and he was the last guy taken.

I think Hughes still has potential. He needs to work on the spin move or have Mathis teach him how to take an angle. He has the speed, he just needs a something to go with it-spin move, bull rush, swim, something.

Unfortunately, RB have to prove their worth from the start. They don't get time to develop. I'm conflicted on Brown. I think he has shown flashes and has actual game experience. On the other hand Carter looks like the real deal and James looks to be coming along too.

because beyond round one he has hit some real homerooms lately, Collie, Garcon, Powers, McAfee, Moala just to name a few. His first round picks (Hughes and Brown) have not lived up to expectations so far but beyond that he has probably gotten as much if not more value out of the draft than anyone else drafting. If you want to rip him for the round one misses you have to give him credit for the hits.

With that said this years class looks very promisng. Castonzo has already played his way into the starting line up. Ijalana has shown some promise. Nevis is pushing for a starting job. Carter is a beat to bring down. The only one who isn't making an impact yet is Rucker and he was the last guy taken.

I agree totally... We havent got a good pick in round one since Addai, and even he hasnt had first round production, though he is of 1st round importance to the team IMO... I almost wish we would trade out of the first round every draft. Maybe get a 2,3,and 4, or whatever the value is depending the their numbers. Thats wheere the production has came from. --Bullit, Bethea, Powers, Angerer,Conner,Collie, Garcon, Mcaffe.. and Moala is coming around too lately.

10 years ago we had a 3yr streak of Reggie,Freeney, and Clark. And now a drought in the first round. Idk if they are just looking too much at the upside and potential in the first round instead of just picking a guy for what he is and what he brings to the table. I sure hope Castonzo gets us back on the right foot. He was my pick for us to take, I just didnt think hed drop in our laps so easily. Looks promising so far

I agree totally... We havent got a good pick in round one since Addai, and even he hasnt had first round production, though he is of 1st round importance to the team IMO... I almost wish we would trade out of the first round every draft. Maybe get a 2,3,and 4, or whatever the value is depending the their numbers. Thats wheere the production has came from. --Bullit, Bethea, Powers, Angerer,Conner,Collie, Garcon, Mcaffe.. and Moala is coming around too lately.

10 years ago we had a 3yr streak of Reggie,Freeney, and Clark. And now a drought in the first round. Idk if they are just looking too much at the upside and potential in the first round instead of just picking a guy for what he is and what he brings to the table. I sure hope Castonzo gets us back on the right foot. He was my pick for us to take, I just didnt think hed drop in our laps so easily. Looks promising so far

The draft is probably as much an art as it is a science. I think the successes have been kind of random with respect to the round of the draftee. Over a handful of years, that might not be so obvious.

Trading out of the first round? Maybe. We effectively did that to take Ugoh, a second rounder. I don't foresee the FO giving up on first round picking, though.

Pollack and Tim Jennings were also 2nd rounders and for a while the 3rd round was so horribly bad that many people on the forum said it was a cursed round and we should trade out of it. Then, we got Wheeler (still on the team, anyway), Powers and, though still early, now Nevis from the 3rd round. Over the last few years, maybe the first round has looked worse, but as you say, Castonzo does look promising so far.

I know it's still too early to say, but at this point I do like the "Chris" stamp on personnel decisions.

Hughes hasn't done much, but neither have Chick and (especially)Brayton. Hughes got to Rodgers a couple times against Green Bay but Freeney got there first. He still could be a replacement for Mathis next year. He certainly hasn't blown me away, but neither has anybody else @ DE except Freeney.

10 years ago we had a 3yr streak of Reggie,Freeney, and Clark.

I love the short memories people have on this forum. On was on Indystar.com forum at the time and many people were calling Reggie a bust going into his third year because he could not beat out Qadry Ismail for the #2 WR spot. For the first 8 games people talked about how stupid Polian had been to draft Freeney when they could have had Haynesworth, they stated if he was any good he would have been starting from the get go. And regarding Clark, most people thought it was a mistake to draft a TE, let a lone in the first round because the Colts already had Pollard and Clark didn't offer anything different from Pollard and then he didn't play much his rookie season and now he is an irreplaceable part of the team.
And now a drought in the first round. Idk if they are just looking too much at the upside and potential in the first round instead of just picking a guy for what he is and what he brings to the table. I sure hope Castonzo gets us back on the right foot. He was my pick for us to take, I just didnt think hed drop in our laps so easily. Looks promising so far

Brown was a not a good pick, IMO, and I have explained why. But Hughes was an excellent pick and he's been playing very well in the preseason (people will disagree because they look at his stats). That does not mean he does everything perfect, he is still making mistakes but that is to be expected, he's a second year player who doesn't get a lot of game time because he's behind two pro-bowlers. And for those that say Chick is outplaying him, Chick is doing well but he's not outplaying Hughes, too many people confuse movement for production and that is not the case. Chick gets out of position about 30% more than Hughes in the preseason games so far this year. Plus AC is already proving to be a good pick.

Brown was a not a good pick, IMO, and I have explained why. But Hughes was an excellent pick and he's been playing very well in the preseason (people will disagree because they look at his stats). That does not mean he does everything perfect, he is still making mistakes but that is to be expected, he's a second year player who doesn't get a lot of game time because he's behind two pro-bowlers. And for those that say Chick is outplaying him, Chick is doing well but he's not outplaying Hughes, too many people confuse movement for production and that is not the case. Chick gets out of position about 30% more than Hughes in the preseason games so far this year. Plus AC is already proving to be a good pick.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was beginning to think I was the only one that was paying attention. It seems like people have fell in love with Chick like many have for Foster. I appreciate the hustle they show but there are better players that bring more versatility to the team.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was beginning to think I was the only one that was paying attention. It seems like people have fell in love with Chick like many have for Foster. I appreciate the hustle they show but there are better players that bring more versatility to the team.

I have spent years trying to teach people on the forum how to evaluate players during the preseason, it doesn't take :drink: .

People, myself included, see what they want to see. I usually try to go back and watch the game to try to see what nobody else (fan wise) sees.

Caldwell stated the other day in an interview that they record everything. And they review film every day after practices, games, walk through, everything. After doing that, they talk about how good Hughes is doing, they don't mention Chick as much.

I have spent years trying to teach people on the forum how to evaluate players during the preseason, it doesn't take :drink: .

People, myself included, see what they want to see. I usually try to go back and watch the game to try to see what nobody else (fan wise) sees.

Caldwell stated the other day in an interview that they record everything. And they review film every day after practices, games, walk through, everything. After doing that, they talk about how good Hughes is doing, they don't mention Chick as much.

That's because a lot of people are more interested in having their opinion about a player proven right than they are about objectivaly trying to watch the games. I am sure I have my bias as well that's why I tend to default to what the coaches or Polian say because they know more about what they are looking for than I ever will. Normally when they explain why they did something I can go okay that makes sense now.

could hughes play linebacker?

This.... Indy has got to get something out of this guy and he is NOT strong enuogh at he point of attack. This was his issue last season. He needs time to get buffed up in the upper body, but he could play LB. He runs like a deer.

Brown and Hughes can both play. They both just need to make it happen.

If Brown is healthy he will produce. And with Hughes... He has to get stronger, he is only 22 or 23 so there is no way in heck the Colts are cutting him.

Foster is making this team.... Chick vs Hughes? I like Chick, but he is older and not getting paid what JH is. All things being equal RIGHT NOW Chick would make the team. But Hughes will be a player in time, only problem is it will take time. IMO, Jerry will be worth the wait.

You just don't get rich at the end of the first round of the draft all the time.

That's because a lot of people are more interested in having their opinion about a player proven right than they are about objectivaly trying to watch the games. I am sure I have my bias as well that's why I tend to default to what the coaches or Polian say because they know more about what they are looking for than I ever will. Normally when they explain why they did something I can go okay that makes sense now.

I completely agree that is the reason. That is why I also chuckle when people talk about Polian's ego won't let him admit he made mistake, when the same people who post that, never admit they are wrong about a player no matter the evidence.

And, I also agree that we as fans, make our decisions based on what we see from the TV camera. The organization makes it decisions based on games, practices, walk throughs, game plan tests, how they do in the film room, how they interact with other players, the list goes on. They (the organization) is in a much better position to make the right decision than the fans could ever hope to be.