Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who Played Well or Poorly Against the Packers [Merge]

Coltsman1788

(Delone) seeing the way he runs,and how explosive he is i bet team will automatically blitz when they see him out,which opens up

play action

This ^ is what was discussed in April, and is spot-on. Defenses will have to honor our 3rd & short running ability, which will open up all kinds of opportunity such as the slants the better teams have been able to key on and take away from us when it counts most over the recent years....deep routes, etc.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueShoe

I really liked what i seen out of him tonight,great movement,he knew where he was on the field and made lots of plays out of situations that should have been losses or short yardage...

I believe that Carter is going to be our short yardage back.

It appears that Addai and Brown will alternate drives while Carter will come in on short yardage situations.

Guest BlueShoe

A rotation with those ^ three is what I'd like to see.

In a way it will be, but only using them at their strengths. Addai is a great third down back if we are in third and long, but short yardage is not his game. Brown needs a hole to run through but once he breaks through then he getting 10 or more yards every time. Carter creates holes to run through.

We will likely do what we have always done with Addai and Brown by mixing it up and alternating Brown in for Addai every other drive or so. But when we need a yard then we are going to bring the hammer in! ;)

I really liked what i seen out of him tonight,great movement,he knew where he was on the field and made lots of plays out of situations that should have been losses or short yardage...

I am excited about Carter. He is short. But he packs a load. If only he pans out! Polian will have finally made up for passing on MJD.

That's the most emotion I have ever seen from Caldwell and he took him out of the game at that very moment. Good move Coach...

Hahaha! I actually said, "Oh oh, Chip woke up Caldwell AND made him take his hat off!"

I'd hold my horses on this one. Some of you are acting as if he's going up against number one or 2 defenses. He is a great runner no doubt about it, he'll even run when a hole isn't there. We have to see him go up against a number one team defense first.

Yess!!! i love donald but right now he just isnt cutting it maybe that will change but carter is not afraid to take it to the edge and thats what the colts have always needed.

I keep hoping donald will do something since he was a high pick. But he isnt doing it. HE MIGHT BE CUT.Carter is showing more.

We don't need that kind of crap on this team. His late hit and stupid taunting ended up souring what was a good night and cost us a winable preseason game. Caldwell was visibly upset. Saw a hint of some fire in his eyes...ever so faint but I could tell that he was fuming inside. Chip Vaughn will be hard pressed to make this team now. Go play for the Jags with that type of bull crap.

not somthing the colts do cut him.

I'm actually going to defend Donald Brown!! I don't know if it's bad luck or something but it seems like the O-line doesn't block well for him at all. I try to look back and see if he has any running lanes and i don't see much he could do any different. I'm just not talking about the pre-season it happened a lot last year too besides the Jaguar game. I do think that Addai and Carter should be ahead of him but he still deserves a roster spot.

The only rookie I'm taking anything for right now is Drake Nevis, because he went up against number one offensive lineman. Delone Carter is a great player and we're going to need him. I think we'll have 3 great rb's and I'm excited about that.

I'd hold my horses on this one. Some of you are acting as if he's going up against number one or 2 defenses. He is a great runner no doubt about it, he'll even run when a hole isn't there. We have to see him go up against a number one team defense first.

First guy that we've had in years that looks to be effective running inside & then some is reason to be stoked.

Donald Brown has had proven success in real NFL games. Carter has not. There is no proof, whatsoever, that he is better. People like him right now because he has flashes in pre-season games, and he's the new kid. Everyone on these boards always assumes the new guy is better. Brown has also dramatically improved his pass blocking; or so it seems.

I guarantee you, Brown will still be #2.

Carter should be our answer for third and one. but he has shown he can power his way through the linebackers,there is a place for him. but i still want brown to show us something

That's actually The reason I'd prefer to see Carter over Brown. I've seen Brown for nearly 3 years now, and he hasnt impressed. We know, and have seen what brown is capable of, but Carter is still a mystery. Time for his shot.

You seen him for 2 years, he has barely played in the preseason, and he had a good year in his rookie season. Last year was bad somewhat due to the bad O-line. Let's see how he does this year; it's his make or break year.

Keeper - Brooks, The kid made a couple of good hands catches and at 6'2" makes a big target.

Keeper - Harris, will do an excellent job on the defensive line rotation with Nevis, Moala

and Johnson.

Goner - Vaughn, nuff said.

Goner - Ricardo Matthews, absolutely no penetration against 3rd stringers.

Who ya got???

Matthews isn't going anywhere. Espesially if you're just talking about the cut down to 80.

Right now I think there is 88 on the roster so only 8 people will be cut and those will be people that haven't really spent much time on the field. The exception being Vaughn, he is as good as gone. I also expect Hartline to be gone this rd. of cutdowns, the others would just be a guess.

Matthews isn't going anywhere. Espesially if you're just talking about the cut down to 80.

Right now I think there is 88 on the roster so only 8 people will be cut and those will be people that haven't really spent much time on the field. The exception being Vaughn, he is as good as gone. I also expect Hartline to be gone this rd. of cutdowns, the others would just be a guess.

He will make the cut to 80, but he will be gone when we play the Texans.

He will make the cut to 80, but he will be gone when we play the Texans.

Im not so sure about that. He has shown flashes of being pretty good. In my opinion he is a more valuable asset than Foster, although I know a lot of people don't agree with that. I have never understood the love affair people have with Foster. The few plays he makes does not make up for the many many other times he gets pushed around like a rag doll.

The bottom line is that Brown does not run with passion,he crumbles with first contact.

There is no fight in that dog.

I see the same thing, but he has never been that bruising type of back. We run a zone blocking system and it is all about hole recognition, and I just do not think he can recognize the hole once it opens.

I think he would be a superb back in a different type of blocking system. Similair to say, the Steelers system where it is hit the hole and go.

We don't need that kind of crap on this team. His late hit and stupid taunting ended up souring what was a good night and cost us a winable preseason game. Caldwell was visibly upset. Saw a hint of some fire in his eyes...ever so faint but I could tell that he was fuming inside. Chip Vaughn will be hard pressed to make this team now. Go play for the Jags with that type of bull crap.

dont worry he sealed his own fate last night. He wont play another down of colt football

I agree with you on that one. I have been saying for a few weeks not that I think Carter will be the #2 back for the Colts by the end of the season. I feel that the Colts will continue to give Brown some opportunities in the first half of the season simply because he was drafted so high. If he continues to not produce the way Carter can, I really see Carter being our #2 back (hopefully) going into the playoffs.

I hope you are right he runs hard and is elusive. I think he can learn some great things from Addai and can be our future number 1 RB in 3 years.

Im not so sure about that. He has shown flashes of being pretty good. In my opinion he is a more valuable asset than Foster, although I know a lot of people don't agree with that. I have never understood the love affair people have with Foster. The few plays he makes does not make up for the many many other times he gets pushed around like a rag doll.

Two different positions, they won't be competing against each other. There's some good competition across the D-Line this year. Chick has outplayed Hughes, but he probably won't win a spot. Harris looked decent and has experience, Anderson is on the bubble IMHO.

Two different positions, they won't be competing against each other. There's some good competition across the D-Line this year. Chick has outplayed Hughes, but he probably won't win a spot. Harris looked decent and has experience, Anderson is on the bubble IMHO.

Hughes and Brown have a roster spot, because they are high draft picks. I really

dislike how the team coddles their high draftees.

If they were UDFA's, they would not get a sniff of the 53 man roster.Guaranteed!!!

You might be right, but I think it plays into Anderson's and Brayton's favor that the Colts seem to want to get bigger across the d-line and having them play the end posistions during run plays to give Freeney and Mathis a rest will help them. Either one could also slide inside during passing downs.

Am I the only person that feels Javaris James probably won't get a roster spot even though he has played so much better than Brown. James seems to locate the hole quicker than Brown anyway. I can understand wanting to keep Hughes around because he was a high draft pick and the D-line takes a while to pickup. The running back position, however, is the easiest position to transition from college to pro. I just feel bad for James in this situation because he was undrafted and has been working his tail off. All of that hard work might be for nothing just because Brown was a higher draft pick.

I think its just bad coaching. Vaughn should have been coached to not do those things and he should have been pulled on the first late hit 15 yard mental lapse. What was up with that pathetic attempt to counter a onside kick. Deer In The Headlights again Jim? Jim Caldwell is the worst coach in the leage in a close game with little time left.

One problem with your knee jerk blame it on Cladwell statement.

Under Caldwell's leadership we were the 2nd least penalized team in the league in 2009 and the 3rd least in 2010. That's what is called good coaching.

It looked like Sims started over Conner on the weakside. He seemed to play ok, had a few good cleanup tackles in run support. Tied for the team lead in tackles after being out of practice for two weeks. Wasn't quite as taken with his cover skills, though. Haven't seen anybody mention him yet.

He should have known better. We run that route with Clark consistently. He should have known he had TE responsibility and not have gotten caught with his pants down creeping up to the line like that.

He didn't, Angerer had great coverage on that play, it was just a perfect pass and a great catch.Angerer%252520coverage.JPG

You really can't cover any better than that.

He didn't, Angerer had great coverage on that play, it was just a perfect pass and a great catch.Angerer%252520coverage.JPG

You really can't cover any better than that.

That Angerer play was the perfect example of why I love the NFL. Everything about it was beautiful. Great coverage, great throw, great catch, great play call. Its all about matchups today in the NFL, and a player like Finley is a dream.