Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts get new OT

CS Colts Fan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure about that. It isn't like he's playing QB, RB, TE, WR or even CB. He's on the O-Line. Long as he knows "hey, I'm run blocking or pass blocking" then he can start. The full terminology can be learned through practice, but obviously he was brought in to replace someone and start now.

Football isn't such easy game to play. It's a little bit more complex than that.

Football isn't such easy game to play. It's a little bit more complex than that.

I'm aware of this, seeing as how I played center several times in high school. It still comes down to run blocking and pass blocking. The technical stuff can be learned and added into the game play as he practices. I know running end arounds and tosses require a little more, but it isn't like Essex is some guy they picked up off the street. He blocked for Big Ben for how many years? Obviously he isn't a scrub with no NFL experience at all.

Sunday the line will be AC at LT, Olsen at LG, Satele at C, McGlynn at RG at Link at RT......sorry....it just will be.

Essex knows the Arian's system, but as GoColts8818 says 'they do not know the playbook.' (Never exactly the same terminology) The best thing is he is versatile. The worst is he is versatile because of injuries and losing his position due to said injuries.

I am also with Shakedownstreet: Jeff Saturday was selling insurance? ( I slept since then) Colt fans at the time were laughing at him. He persevered.....it CAN happen. Not going to say this will happen with Sowell.....

Lucas Oil Stadium will be ROCKING. I will once again support whomever we have healthy to suit up until we find adequate replacements or 'reinforcements.' Until the next roster move or Sunday..... :colts: :colts: :colts::coltslogo: :coltslogo:

I think there's a good chance Essex may start in place of Olsen. All he needs to learn is the blocking schemes and that probably won't be to difficult since he's familiar with the system.

I'm aware of this, seeing as how I played center several times in high school. It still comes down to run blocking and pass blocking. The technical stuff can be learned and added into the game play as he practices. I know running end arounds and tosses require a little more, but it isn't like Essex is some guy they picked up off the street. He blocked for Big Ben for how many years? Obviously he isn't a scrub with no NFL experience at all.

I expect Essex playing earlier than Sowell...he may be more familiar with Arinas' play calls. Sowell has to learn playbook and develop before stepping on the field in Colts' suit...

just saw on Colts.com

picked up Bradley Sowell OT from Tampa's PS

NDIANAPOLIS – The Indianapolis Colts today signed offensive tackle Bradley Sowell from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers practice squad to the 53-man roster.

Sowell, 6-7, 320 pounds, is in his rookie season after being signed by Tampa Bay as an undrafted free agent on April 30, 2012. He competed in 49 collegiate contests (36 starts) at the University of Mississippi and was named an All-SEC second-team selection by The Associated Press in 2010 and a third-team choice by College Sport Madness in 2011. In 2010, Sowell was part of an Ole Miss offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the conference while helping the offense rank third in rushing. In 2009, he helped Mississippi’s offense rank 14th in the country in sacks allowed while blocking for Dexter McCluster’s 1,169-yard season, the second-highest total in Ole Miss history.

Hope this helps

can he be another michael oher? would be nice lol

Sunday the line will be AC at LT, Olsen at LG, Satele at C, McGlynn at RG at Link at RT......sorry....it just will be.

Essex knows the Arian's system, but as GoColts8818 says 'they do not know the playbook.' (Never exactly the same terminology) The best thing is he is versatile. The worst is he is versatile because of injuries and losing his position due to said injuries.

I am also with Shakedownstreet: Jeff Saturday was selling insurance? ( I slept since then) Colt fans at the time were laughing at him. He persevered.....it CAN happen. Not going to say this will happen with Sowell.....

Lucas Oil Stadium will be ROCKING. I will once again support whomever we have healthy to suit up until we find adequate replacements or 'reinforcements.' Until the next roster move or Sunday..... :colts: :colts: :colts::coltslogo: :coltslogo:

Not sure if I agree with you in full on this one, but I can respect your angle. I believe Essex will play and has a decent chance at starting this week. If you brought Hines Ward into the Colts right now, even if it was the day before game day we all know that he would know the playbook offensively speaking because he breathed that playbook for years. Trai Essex has gone to two Super Bowls breathing that same playbook. The plays are exactly the same, he's got the whole week to get down any small nuances which I believe will be very minor.

He's not coming from a team with a similar scheme, and going to a team with different coaches who have a similar scheme. That's when the terminology is different. He is coming into the EXACT same playbook he's had for years. There is no learning curve as far as the playbook is concerned. None.

Remember when they bought Booger Mcfarland in at about a week before a game was to be played and he started immediately? If you are going to the same coaching staff you've been with, the plays and terminology don't change. I think the issue may be getting on the same page with Luck and how he communicates may be an issue. As you can see from the comments below, Essex sees the situation the same way.

“The terminology is basically the same, the protection's the same,” Essex said. “I'll be protecting somebody a little different in Andrew Luck. He probably has his own cadence and the way he does things. But the offense as a whole is the same one I've been with all my career. I'm going into a good situation where I can be ahead of the curve.”

http://www.news-sent...PORTS/120919954

I think there's a good chance Essex may start in place of Olsen. All he needs to learn is the blocking schemes and that probably won't be to difficult since he's familiar with the system.

If he is in shape, I said if he can play...you are paying the man to play....I do not care if the man starts or issues Gatorade until called upon. What has he been doing this entire time others have been playing football? If he's been eating bon bons or readying for a hot dog eating contest....he will get run over and around like Freeney has done to him.....when he was healthy.

We need bodies...for when the next one goes down....I knew we were doomed last week when I saw backups for the game.....Link and Shipley. Coaches...suit the best man up.....go 100 % of what you have.

I hear ya GoColts, but I definitely think Grigs see's the issues and is trying to get what he can to help ( with the limited sources ) and he may be able to become a good catch... he was obviously part of a good Oline... not holding my breath, but one can hope...

Oh and trust me I I hope so too. I would love for the Colts to find a steal that just slipped threw everyone's fingers. I am just saying that probably isn't likely because I can already see people complaining why these new guys weren't playing if they don't play on Sunday. Trust me I would love it if Girgson just finds a couple of giant steels right now that are the answers to our prayers on the o-line I just don't see it happening I think it's much more likely those will be found in the draft and or free agency next year. With that said like you said we can all hope and I sure as heck don't blame Grigson for looking under every rock he can find to try to make the o-line better.

Not sure if I agree with you in full on this one, but I can respect your angle. I believe Essex will play and has a decent chance at starting this week. If you brought Hines Ward into the Colts right now, even if it was the day before game day we all know that he would know the playbook offensively speaking because he breathed that playbook for years. Trai Essex has gone to two Super Bowls breathing that same playbook. The plays are exactly the same, he's got the whole week to get down any small nuances which I believe will be very minor.

He's not coming from a team with a similar scheme, and going to a team with different coaches who have a similar scheme. That's when the terminology is different. He is coming into the EXACT same playbook he's had for years. There is no learning curve as far as the playbook is concerned. None.

I think the issue may be getting on the same page with Luck and how he communicates may be an issue. As you can see from the comments below, Essex sees the situation the same way.

“The terminology is basically the same, the protection's the same,” Essex said. “I'll be protecting somebody a little different in Andrew Luck. He probably has his own cadence and the way he does things. But the offense as a whole is the same one I've been with all my career. I'm going into a good situation where I can be ahead of the curve.”

http://www.news-sent...PORTS/120919954

Good post krunk.....like I will say... I am for the best person in the best shape within the system to do the job on Sunday.....I will root for Grigson if he plays the OL....I hope Essex is ready and Sowell impersonates Jake Long.....:)

If he is in shape, I said if he can play...you are paying the man to play....I do not care if the man starts or issues Gatorade until called upon. What has he been doing this entire time others have been playing football? If he's been eating bon bons or readying for a hot dog eating contest....he will get run over and around like Freeney has done to him.....when he was healthy.

We need bodies...for when the next one goes down....I knew we were doomed last week when I saw backups for the game.....Link and Shipley. Coaches...suit the best man up.....go 100 % of what you have.

He was with Pittsburgh all preseason, didn't get cut till final cuts so he's been playing and went through Pittsburghs camp.

per nfl rules, we have to keep him on the 53 man roster for a minimum of 3 weeks

Not technically. We have to dedicate a roster spot to him for three weeks, but we could waive him if we wanted. Wouldn't really make sense, as we'd still be paying him and using a roster spot on him, but we could waive him if we choose to do so.

If you want a laugh and aren't easily offended, google Sowell's name and look for a thread from when he played for Ole Miss. I guess you could say his play was certainly noticed. The thread is 3 years old. He either improved enough to make the NFL or he just wasn't appreciated in college.

Not technically. We have to dedicate a roster spot to him for three weeks, but we could waive him if we wanted. Wouldn't really make sense, as we'd still be paying him and using a roster spot on him, but we could waive him if we choose to do so.

yeah sure. splitting hairs a little :)

i think the rule is intended to prevent teams from plucking players from upcoming opponents practice squads solely to mine them for intel

If you want a laugh and aren't easily offended, google Sowell's name and look for a thread from when he played for Ole Miss. I guess you could say his play was certainly noticed. The thread is 3 years old. He either improved enough to make the NFL or he just wasn't appreciated in college.

i saw that. it's starts off with expletives. it's amazing how people can be so asinine when guarded by their computer moniter

Good post krunk.....like I will say... I am for the best person in the best shape within the system to do the job on Sunday.....I will root for Grigson if he plays the OL....I hope Essex is ready and Sowell impersonates Jake Long..... :)

Now I'm not sure if Sowell is going to play. He's coming from a different, but I assume a similar scheme.

He will have to learn the terminology in his case. I'm guessing they are thinking that it won't be too huge

of a leap for him because when you make a move like this you have to put that player on the 53 man roster.

So I believe he would have to be somewhere near ready. Although we could make him inactive.

Now I'm not sure if Sowell is going to play. He's coming from a different, but I assume a similar scheme.

He will have to learn the terminology in his case. I'm guessing they are thinking that it won't be too huge

of a leap for him because when you make a move like this you have to put that player on the 53 man roster.

So I believe he would have to be somewhere near ready. Although we could make him inactive.

No matter what we need someone...2 guys last week did not cut it....Hicks...Sowell? 1 PM Sunday...at LOS! Pagano is gonna tell them to put hat on hat...all you can do is give 100% and leave it all on the field!

I tried to see if the offensive coordinator in Tampa Bay had any ties with Bruce Arians at all but I didn't

see any connections. Mike Sullivan used to be with the Giants, so I tried to also see if Coughlin had any

ties to Arians, but I didn't see any connections.

I tried to see if the offensive coordinator in Tampa Bay had any ties with Bruce Arians at all but I didn't

see any connections. Mike Sullivan used to be with the Giants, so I tried to also see if Coughlin had any

I was going to look...got to cooking ...HA HA....and ya wonder why I cannot type...walking the avatar...typing and cooking at the same time....I will coach OL too if needed :)

It very well could be something as simple as Sowell was in the running for Mr. Irrelevant and he signed with Tampa via free agency and they liked him enough to put him on the 53man roster.

Playbook? If Ariana is running the same system he did in Pittsburgh then not even the terminology should be hard for Essex... I expect him to start.

Sowell will likely backup Link since Links been here longer and knows the playbook (I think). My guess is Olsen and Mcglynn both start sunday but only 1 of them finishes,

i doubt essex was brought in to replace either starting guard. my sources say he'll replace justice until he returns and if reitz is back provide quality at either guard or tackle.

It very well could be something as simple as Sowell was in the running for Mr. Irrelevant and he signed with Tampa via free agency and they liked him enough to put him on the 53man roster.

If Sowell is anything like our Mr. Irrelevant then I will be happy. Harnish was a very nice find! Kids got good potential

Just because they are new doesn't mean they know the playbook yet and doesn't mean they are better than what we had. If they were don't you think Grigson would have brought them in sooner? I am not saying they can't be but if they were so much better than what the Colts had I doubt they would have been on the market to start with. I hope they are better but I don't think it's a sure thing.

The whole thing with Essex was he was cut two weeks ago and from what i understand from listening to 1070 if you bring them in after the first week you don't have to guarantee their contract. Thats why Essex wasn't brought in sooner.

The Indianapolis Colts today released wide receiver Kashif Moore from the practice squad and signed center A.Q. Shipley to the practice squad. Moore was originally claimed off waivers by the Colts on August 28, 2012. He was released on August 31 and added to the practice squad on September 1.

Shipley was originally signed by the Colts on January 28, 2012 and was waived yesterday. He appeared in last week’s game at Chicago.