Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

3 Round Mock draft - 2 scenarios

I think the Colts will do enough to have the rights to the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. With that said...here's a look at a couple of possible scenarios.

1st Mock - No Trade

Round 1 - Luke Joeckel OT - Texas A&M : Castonzo on the left, Joeckel on the right...we're in a good spot to keep Luck off his butt.

Round 3 - Margus Hunt DE - SMU : The Defensive End position is deep and Hunt is ranked around 62 at this time. This is great news for us in the 3rd to put an under valued player opposite Redding.

2nd Mock - Trade Down

It's impossible to guess at who we would trade with or where that team would be in the draft so I'm just going to put the trade in the middle at #16.

Round 1 - Chance Warmack G - Alabama : Instant upgrade over any guard on the roster and Luck will thank Grigson for this pick.

Round 2 - C.J. Mosley OLB - Alabama : Freeney left early in the game against Chicago and took the pass rush with him. Mosley is another member of the Crimson Tide that we could benefit from next year with Freeney likely out the door.

Round 3 - Kenny Vaccaro SS - Texas : Zbikowski is a great guy but he is not the answer. Vaccaro had a big game this weekend with a couple of INT's. He's a beast of a safety and does plenty of blitzing. Just what we need.

I think the Colts will do enough to have the rights to the 3rd or 4th pick in the draft. With that said...here's a look at a couple of possible scenarios.

1st Mock - No Trade

Round 1 - Luke Joeckel OT - Texas A&M : Castonzo on the left, Joeckel on the right...we're in a good spot to keep Luck off his butt.

Round 3 - Margus Hunt DE - SMU : The Defensive End position is deep and Hunt is ranked around 62 at this time. This is great news for us in the 3rd to put an under valued player opposite Redding.

2nd Mock - Trade Down

It's impossible to guess at who we would trade with or where that team would be in the draft so I'm just going to put the trade in the middle at #16.

Round 1 - Chance Warmack G - Alabama : Instant upgrade over any guard on the roster and Luck will thank Grigson for this pick.

Round 2 - C.J. Mosley OLB - Alabama : Freeney left early in the game against Chicago and took the pass rush with him. Mosley is another member of the Crimson Tide that we could benefit from next year with Freeney likely out the door.

Round 3 - Kenny Vaccaro SS - Texas : Zbikowski is a great guy but he is not the answer. Vaccaro had a big game this weekend with a couple of INT's. He's a beast of a safety and does plenty of blitzing. Just what we need.

I do like your first mock best, but what do you think about going after O-Line via Free Agency and going after the DT from UTAH or one of the top Safety's in the Draft?

I do like your first mock best, but what do you think about going after O-Line...

Going after O-line in FA is a must for the sake of competing right now, but likely only a temporary fix. Building a young O-line through the draft will keep us dominant for years to come.

... going after the DT from UTAH...

As far as drafting Star Lotulelei goes...I'm waiting to see what Josh Chapman can do. I think we'll see Chapman come back in week 6 and if he is not doing well by week 12...then it's definitely a cause for concern. I have a good feeling that Chapman will continue to be dominant however. Just has to make a good recovery from his surgery.

...or one of the top Safety's in the Draft?

Kenny Vaccaro is a top safety. Getting him in the 3rd round would be ridiculously good value. I don't think it's high enough on the priority list to spend a 1st round pick on a Safety though.

Yes i just feel with the way Pagano runs his defense, we need D-Line Improvement to let the LB's flow to the football and make plays, as well as a Safety that can make plays all over the field, hence a Troy P, Ed Reed type player. Anything in that mold in the third would be great value.

Yes i just feel with the way Pagano runs his defense, we need D-Line Improvement to let the LB's flow to the football and make plays, as well as a Safety that can make plays all over the field, hence a Troy P, Ed Reed type player. Anything in that mold in the third would be great value.

I agree. Our D-line needs to be improved at NT and DE. They gotta command the double team and hold gaps for the linebackers to get through, which in return will help out our secondary a ton.

I agree. Our D-line needs to be improved at NT and DE. They gotta command the double team and hold gaps for the linebackers to get through, which in return will help out our secondary a ton.

Yes, I believe Davis will get better as well. He's been here two weeks and going against a top 10 WR in the NFL and people are getting on him. Saying we should never have made the trade. It takes people time to adjust. Makes me shake my head sometimes.

#2, just don't know if Vaccaro will be available in the third.

Yeah. that's why these are so fun. It's going to be a huge game of unknowns until the actual draft day. Vontaze Burfict/Cliff Harris are good examples of "clear cut" first round picks that went undrafted in less than 6 months. Pretty amazing.

The key thing to focus on is the position more than the player.

1st Mock - No Trade

2nd Mock - Trade Down

Several thoughts....

Hunt just showed up on Kiper's first Big Board as a 1st round pick. Your chances of finding him in the 3rd round are not likely.

Doesn't mean he'll be drafted in the first round, just saying he's not an under the radar guy. I think he's 6'8" and 275+... scouts love raw talent like that.

Second.... if there are 4-5 OT's with first round grades, unless we are insanely in love with one and that player is there for us when we pick, then I think it's best that we trade down and get a Tackle later in the first round while picking up additional picks.

The only way to get more quality picks is to trade down. And if we stink up the joint and have a 4 win season, which is what I think you're predicting, then we've got a chance to trade down not just once, but maybe even twice and gain multiple additional picks while still filling a position of need.

We're sitting today with a 1, 3 and 4. We're not going to get much trading back in the 3rd or 4th round. What will we get? Some 5's or 6's or 7's? OK. But if you want some serious talent, you'll have to trade down in the first round. It's the only way.

I just down see us standing pat and taking 3 players and calling it a draft. Makes no sense to me. We clearly have a lot of needs. Grigson is really going to earn his money this off-season. Between Free Agency and the draft, we're going to have to make many, many correct decisions.

Not for the faint of heart! :oops::hide:

Of the two, Id take the 2nd scenario becuase we get an extra player. This team has so many needs. The only players AS OF NOW that I would stay put and draft simply because of their stud potential, are NT Star Lotulelei, WR Keenan Allen, and DE/OLB Jarvis Jones.

I believe we should focus on defense in this draft, with maybe a WR and OL mixed in. But its clear if Hughes cant play well in the regular season, and Addison cant help there either, then we desperately need a DE/OLB to replace Freeney. Our secondary will look much better if we can have 2 good pass rushers in Mathis and Jones.

Luck will continue to get better, but the defense still needs more players to be what they can be.

I'm torn because Warmack would help our run game tremendously and help keep Andrew upright. But we saw what is was like when Freeney went down yesterday, no pass rush. We would do well getting Jones when Freeney is not retained next year. Even then, Lotulelei can be that Ngata type piece we can move around the line and hopefully shore up the run D. Too many holes to fill, not enough picks.

I'm torn because Warmack would help our run game tremendously and help keep Andrew upright. But we saw what is was like when Freeney went down yesterday, no pass rush. We would do well getting Jones when Freeney is not retained next year. Even then, Lotulelei can be that Ngata type piece we can move around the line and hopefully shore up the run D. Too many holes to fill, not enough picks.

I think it is a no brainer: Protect your franchise QB first! If needed spend the whole draft on the Oline and fix it. These bad Olines are haunting us for to long... We still can get a big NT like Kwame Geathers with the 3rd or 4th pick

1.Barrett Jones (trade down to 20th pick picking up a 2nd rounder)

2.D.J. Fluker

3.Margus Hunt

4.Kwame Geathers

5.Nico Johnson

6.Brandon Bishop

7.Emory Blake

Are you saying we get 5th, 6th,7th as compensation picks? I personally hope we get another 3rd for Garcon walking out on us.

We go 3-13 and trade down twice, picking up 2 seconds in the process.

1. OG Chance Warmack

2. NT Jonathan Jenkins

2. S Tony Jefferson

3. OT Brennan Williams

4. WR Aaron Dobson

5. DE Kenjon Barner

6. Dominique Easley

7. OLB Trevardo Williams

Sub S Tony Jefferson with either SS Eric Reid or TJ McDonald and that is an amazing draft.

How many O-linemen around the league are restricted free agents in 2013 (UFAs in 2014)? I would swap first rounders with a team picking in the middle (assuming we pick top 10) and get a young enough (younger than 30) bonafide O-lineman in the process if I could. It would not be a bad idea. That accomplishes the same thing of 2 picks in round 1, IMO.

The question is, who would we want from which team that has a plethora of O-linemen?

I would love to find out what our comp. picks should be. I did some investigative work on my own and according to Wikipedia, we should get at least a 4th for Garcon and maybe a 3rd, because of the size of his contract. Another member said it did not matter due to he was only drafted in the 6th and that limited what we got in comp. I did not see this as a limiting factor in wiki, since they would not be the best source, just the one I thought of. You look at them and say at least a 4, possibly a 3 for Garcon, which is as high as possible, a 5-6 for Saturday and a 5-6 for Tamme. We had one other free agent sign who I can't think of right now. Anyone who knows all the rules that guide the comp. picks I would love to know what each one of those players should bring us in comp picks so we can look at the draft from that angle. At this point due to only having a 1,3,4 I would definitely choose option 2, but if we are going to get 3-4 comp. picks, my mind might change but I would really love to have the two back!

I still believe Pagano will get production from Davis and with his size and talent and our need at CB, I was OK with the trade, but we need talent. Thank god for FA, but that is going to be a thin market this year the way it looks. Anyone know about the comp. picks, I would really love to know about the guidelines and what we should get. Thanks!

I would love to find out what our comp. picks should be. I did some investigative work on my own and according to Wikipedia, we should get at least a 4th for Garcon and maybe a 3rd, because of the size of his contract. Another member said it did not matter due to he was only drafted in the 6th and that limited what we got in comp. I did not see this as a limiting factor in wiki, since they would not be the best source, just the one I thought of. You look at them and say at least a 4, possibly a 3 for Garcon, which is as high as possible, a 5-6 for Saturday and a 5-6 for Tamme. We had one other free agent sign who I can't think of right now. Anyone who knows all the rules that guide the comp. picks I would love to know what each one of those players should bring us in comp picks so we can look at the draft from that angle. At this point due to only having a 1,3,4 I would definitely choose option 2, but if we are going to get 3-4 comp. picks, my mind might change but I would really love to have the two back!

I still believe Pagano will get production from Davis and with his size and talent and our need at CB, I was OK with the trade, but we need talent. Thank god for FA, but that is going to be a thin market this year the way it looks. Anyone know about the comp. picks, I would really love to know about the guidelines and what we should get. Thanks!

Thanks!!

How many O-linemen around the league are restricted free agents in 2013 (UFAs in 2014)? I would swap first rounders with a team picking in the middle (assuming we pick top 10) and get a young enough (younger than 30) bonafide O-lineman in the process if I could. It would not be a bad idea. That accomplishes the same thing of 2 picks in round 1, IMO.

The question is, who would we want from which team that has a plethora of O-linemen?

well we got Justice and Mcglynn and they been in the league 5 and 6 years, most cases O Lineman are let go because they are journeymen (such as Mcglynn and Justice) in other words just stop gap players in MOST cases. I will take the hungry talented early first round O Lineman (Barrett Jones or Chance Warmack) over a journeyman any day and take my chances that I am getting value with which I spent on him rather then already knowing the value of a journeyman which is a stop gap value