Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

number changes

CR91

I just dont get the bigstink about not wanting to let future players wear former team legends jerseys, if we do that pretty soon we are gonna have #256 (for example) so an so makes the tackle or runs up the middle, They are numbers not the legends themselves

I'm more irritated that it has consistently been an option for someone to wear.

I kind of get your point, and yes Edge was special, but he was just a really good player in a really good team era to me - he didn't sustain greatness long enough to have protected identity status.

I kind of get your point, and yes Edge was special, but he was just a really good player in a really good team era to me - he didn't sustain greatness long enough to have protected identity status.

I get that he's not Manning, but it should at least by off limits for 10 years or so. It made me sick to see Painter stink up Jones' #7, but quite some time has passed since Jones wore it.

I just dont get the bigstink about not wanting to let future players wear former team legends jerseys, if we do that pretty soon we are gonna have #256 (for example) so an so makes the tackle or runs up the middle, They are numbers not the legends themselves

Obviously there are limits, and I'm not saying retire it, but it should take someone special to wear it. Nobody special has worn it since Edge.

A select few #'s should be honored... Edge is the best back this franchise has ever had... same with 18 & 88 and their positions.

I get that he's not Manning, but it should at least by off limits for 10 years or so. It made me sick to see Painter stink up Jones' #7, but quite some time has passed since Jones wore it.

I like it when a player has a sense of history, and I'd like it if Vaughn had figured it out for himself, but Darren Evans was just wearing it....to him, it was wide open and a # he liked. He was in high school the last time Edge had that # on in a Colt's jersey.

I like it when a player has a sense of history, and I'd like it if Vaughn had figured it out for himself, but Darren Evans was just wearing it....to him, it was wide open and a # he liked. He was in high school the last time Edge had that # on in a Colt's jersey.

It's not fair to fault Vaughn, like you said, Darren Evans was wearing Mike Hart wore it and shouldn't have even been allowed to look at it.

Most everyone has a few favorite #'s that they like. I get that. More power to them, but that doesn't mean I'll agree with it.

I still remember when my favorite Colt Ken Dilger left for Tampa making his #85 available and then Mike Roberg was given the number.

Until a number is retired it can be worn

I just wish numbers of fan favorites can be temporarily un available.

Right, frankly if he hadn't blown out his knew he would have probably made a very strong case for having his number retired but he did. Frankly to me that's exactly what the Ring of Honor is for, for guys who the fans loved and meant a lot to the team that you want to honor but shouldn't have their number retired. To me retired numbers should be reserved for the best of the best. I think Manning and Harrison are the only recent Colts that fit what I think would deserve having their numbers retired. They are true all-time NFL greats not just Colts greats.