Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Whalen

WoolMagnet

Oh , I thought he could be claimed similar to the Giant TE that NE "stole".

I think there was a difference since Ballard was injured before camps and whatnot. I don't know all the legal mumbo jumbo of the league, but I'm pretty sure a player can't be claimed once he clears waivers and goes to IR.

about the same as Peyton and Eli playing each other seeing as the Whalen's are also brothers.... lol ( I had no idea before the game either )

I don't think they're brothers.

Ryan was born July 1989, and Grif was born March 1990. Not enough time in-between their births.

Yes...... as has been noted, Ryan Whalen and Griff Whalen both went to Stanford, and are not brothers.

They are similar in style. Good possession receivers with very good hands and run good routes. They're not particularly fast or quick, but they can still be effective if used in the right way.

Whether either of them makes an active 53 man roster this year is still up for debate. I don't think either is a lock.

Good guys though.

Also, both of them were walk-on's at Stanford. In Luck's first year as Stanford's QB, Ryan was the top WR. In Luck's final year, Griff ended up being top WR.

Yes...... as has been noted, Ryan Whalen and Griff Whalen both went to Stanford, and are not brothers.

They are similar in style. Good possession receivers with very good hands and run good routes. They're not particularly fast or quick, but they can still be effective if used in the right way.

I think there was a difference since Ballard was injured before camps and whatnot. I don't know all the legal mumbo jumbo of the league, but I'm pretty sure a player can't be claimed once he clears waivers and goes to IR.

He can't be claimed off waivers but if he's on IR but is able to play he can reach an injury settlement with his current team which in effect makes him a free agent and then he can sign and play with another team that year. That happened to a Colts CB a few years ago, Donald Strickland.

Sorgi brought up an interesting point tonight. He was wondering if Whalen will be our IR guy under the new rules that could return later this season.

It was a good point. A broken bone in your foot shouldn't take any longer than 8 to maybe 9 weeks to fully heal. Its possible he could be the guy we take off IR and bring back.

I'm fairly certain for Whalen to be the the guy to return from IR, he would have had to have been placed on the 53 man roster last night and then moved to the IR.

NFL-NFLPA AGREE TO ADOPT BYLAW PROPOSALS

INVOLVING TRADE DEADLINE, INJURED RESERVE RULES

The NFL Management Council and NFL Players Association have agreed to adopt 2012 Bylaw Proposals No. 2 and No. 6A, the NFL and NFLPA announced today.

Bylaw proposal No. 2 moves the trading deadline from Tuesday, October 16 – the Tuesday after Week 6 of the regular season – to Tuesday, October 30, the Tuesday after Week 8.

Bylaw proposal No. 6A permits clubs to re-activate one player from Reserve/Injured during the 2012 season, subject to certain restrictions.

Since this rule is being adopted after the cutdown to 75 players, for 2012 only, the NFL and NFLPA have agreed to a transition procedure that permits clubs to return to their 53-player active list one player placed on Reserve/Injured since the start of preseason training camp. This selection of that player must be made no later than 9:00 p.m. ET tomorrow, Friday, August 31.

Following the cutdown to 53 players, the new Reserve/Injured rule will work as follows:

1. Only players with a “major injury” who are placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4, or thereafter during the season, will be eligible to be reactivated at a later time.

2. A “major injury” is defined as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks (42 calendar days) from the date of injury.

3. Each team may reactivate only one player placed on Reserve/Injured after 4:00 p.m., New York time, on Tuesday, September 4. That player must be “designated for return” at the time the club places him on Reserve/Injured, and such designation shall appear on that day’s Personnel Notice.

4. Such player is eligible to return to practice if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least six weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve. He is eligible to return to the Active List if he has been on Reserve/Injured for at least eight weeks from the date he is placed on Reserve.

I'm fairly certain for Whalen to be the the guy to return from IR, he would have had to have been placed on the 53 man roster last night and then moved to the IR.

I had to read it a couple times, but I agree. Either he would have had to be on IR from the start of camp, or he would have had to make it to the final roster and been there on 9/4, then placed on IR.

If this rule had been agreed upon and finalized two weeks ago, we probably would have held off on putting him on IR. This rule is perfect for his situation, I think.

I had to read it a couple times, but I agree. Either he would have had to be on IR from the start of camp, or he would have had to make it to the final roster and been there on 9/4, then placed on IR.

If this rule had been agreed upon and finalized two weeks ago, we probably would have held off on putting him on IR. This rule is perfect for his situation, I think.

I agree that his injury is perfect for the situation.

I'm not certain he's worthy of it having that done for him.

The one thing I'm not 100% clear on is that if for example he would have been put back on the roster last night, and then designated for the IR next week, and then say someone that is more important, Luck, Wayne, etc have an injury in week 1 or 2, that isn't an IR type injury such as torn ACL or something, but something similar to Whalen's injury, would they be able to replace his designation and have him go on full blown IR. It's pretty ambiguous.

The way it is written, I'm not sure you would risk that with him. You almost have to hold onto it in case you need it for a player that is a bigger part of your game plan.

Sorgi brought up an interesting point tonight. He was wondering if Whalen will be our IR guy under the new rules that could return later this season.

I know you weren't the one who suggested this, but why would we move a bubble player from IR to active at a position we are deep at? IMO, his getting injured is the only reason he still has an association with the Colts. He did play well in the preseason. However, Adams brings a dimension that our receiving corps lack.

I agree that his injury is perfect for the situation.

I'm not certain he's worthy of it having that done for him.

The one thing I'm not 100% clear on is that if for example he would have been put back on the roster last night, and then designated for the IR next week, and then say someone that is more important, Luck, Wayne, etc have an injury in week 1 or 2, that isn't an IR type injury such as torn ACL or something, but something similar to Whalen's injury, would they be able to replace his designation and have him go on full blown IR. It's pretty ambiguous.

The way it is written, I'm not sure you would risk that with him. You almost have to hold onto it in case you need it for a player that is a bigger part of your game plan.

Agreed.

I don't know why they don't just relax the IR rules to allow a team to reserve players for shorter periods of time, assuming legitimate injuries exist. It's more jobs for the players, and it's more flexibility for the teams. Give team a 4 week reserve, and 8 week reserve, and a full season reserve option. Get rid of PUP after the preseason ends. Expose all 4 year and less players who will be reserved to waivers. Once they clear waivers, they go on the short term reserve lists. Once the reserve period ends, they either get activated for at least three weeks (like the practice squad call-ups), they go full reserve, or they go to waivers. Maybe they even have to clear waivers to go full reserve.

A guy like Whalen probably would get 8 weeks to get better, otherwise he goes full reserve or gets put on waivers. Chapman would be a 4 week designation. And so on. I've never understood why the NFL has to be so restrictive with the IR rules. I know discouraging stashing is important, but it's a little overboard.

Agreed.

I don't know why they don't just relax the IR rules to allow a team to reserve players for shorter periods of time, assuming legitimate injuries exist. It's more jobs for the players, and it's more flexibility for the teams. Give team a 4 week reserve, and 8 week reserve, and a full season reserve option. Get rid of PUP after the preseason ends. Expose all 4 year and less players who will be reserved to waivers. Once they clear waivers, they go on the short term reserve lists. Once the reserve period ends, they either get activated for at least three weeks (like the practice squad call-ups), they go full reserve, or they go to waivers. Maybe they even have to clear waivers to go full reserve.

A guy like Whalen probably would get 8 weeks to get better, otherwise he goes full reserve or gets put on waivers. Chapman would be a 4 week designation. And so on. I've never understood why the NFL has to be so restrictive with the IR rules. I know discouraging stashing is important, but it's a little overboard.

I mentioned in another post something similar.. More like baseball's 15-30-60 DL list.. They could easily have 4-8-Season. Obviously some teams would abuse the system which is why they are strict.. Some teams would be perfectly happy with putting a guy on IR and likely working him out privately to develop him.

It's an improvement, but it's not a huge improvement. Say Luck breaks his thumb in game 1, and Reggie Wayne partially tears a hamstring in game 2. Do you put Luck on the IR and recall him in 8 weeks when his thumb might not be fully healed, or do you cut someone else and carry 4 QBs..

If you have a decent player get dinged up this week, you might have more of a star player have a similar injury the next... It seems like it's a bit like a franchise tag... You can't tag Joe, then work out a deal and turn around and tag Billy. It seems one you use it, then it is gone.

This rule seems a bit rushed... I know they debated it in the winter meetings, but I think it could be streamlined to make it easier and more understandable.

• 4 weeks later...

I find this a little odd. On colts.com I found this picture in which Whalen is shown walking just fine for his 2012-2013 team photo shoot.

http://www.colts.com/media-center/photo-gallery/2012-Team-Photo-Shoot/2f4cd271-277d-4929-8ff0-fe28a55520ef#40b220c3-0915-4364-b725-b4a42f05e2a4

The picture is very recent since Brad Sowell (#60), acquired recently is in the picture, walking in front of Whalen. This may show that they just decided to stash him on IR and he is not that seriously injured.

I find this a little odd. On colts.com I found this picture in which Whalen is shown walking just fine for his 2012-2013 team photo shoot.

http://www.colts.com...25-b4a42f05e2a4

The picture is very recent since Brad Sowell (#60), acquired recently is in the picture, walking in front of Whalen. This may show that they just decided to stash him on IR and he is not that seriously injured.

I don't think a still picture, as opposed to video, shows anything one way or another. Yes, he might be being stashed by the team. But I don' think a still picture proves anything. Especially to a foot, ankle, knee or any other part of a leg. You can't tell much of anything with a still shot.

So, you maybe right.... but a still doesn't prove it one way or the other....

Then would not be such a bad pick up for the colts with the loss of collie for the year and possibly just releasing him anyway at the end of the season.

Once Collie was hurt we went and picked up Nate Palmer from the 49ers practice squad and put him on our active roster. He is Collies replacement. From what I've seen he appears to have alot of potential. According to Pagano his game is similar to Donnie Avery. Very speedy. I watched some video on him and he reminds me of T.Y. a little bit. Colts were going to draft him back in April, but they had other needs at the time.

http://blogs.colts.c...-path-together/

This is why we have not picked up Shipley or anyone else at WR. Palmer is already on the 53 man roster

Anyone else worried someone is gonna grab Whalen off our PS even tho he's injured?

He might be worth it.

Not me.

Of all the issues this team has I am not concerned some team grabs Whalen(even if they can) off the PS.

He's not big,he's not fast and he reminds me of Blair White. Though a few players who go undrafted are difference makers in the NFL, I seriously doubt Whalen ever will. I even doubt he will have any kind of career.

http://www.colts.com...25-b4a42f05e2a4

Walking in next to the lineman was not a smart idea on Grif's part.

Once Collie was hurt we went and picked up Nate Palmer from the 49ers practice squad and put him on our active roster. He is Collies replacement. From what I've seen he appears to have alot of potential. According to Pagano his game is similar to Donnie Avery. Very speedy. I watched some video on him and he reminds me of T.Y. a little bit. Colts were going to draft him back in April, but they had other needs at the time.

http://blogs.colts.c...-path-together/

This is why we have not picked up Shipley or anyone else at WR. Palmer is already on the 53 man roster

How tall is this kid? we could use a big man with speed. someone to jump over those 5'10 DB's. I was really hoping that in some miraculous way during the draft that michael floyd would fall into the second round lol. i was hoping it would be a dream come true.

How tall is this kid? we could use a big man with speed. someone to jump over those 5'10 DB's. I was really hoping that in some miraculous way during the draft that michael floyd would fall into the second round lol. i was hoping it would be a dream come true.

Don't mean to dissapoint, but he's 5'11"