Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think Luck will have a better rookie season than Peyton Manning did?

StewieG

You ask a lot of Questions Stewie lol

But I definitely think he'll have a better season. One of the reasons being, IMO I think Luck has a better Defense then Peyton did so this should also be a + for Luck to do better.

PS: I was not into Football when Peyton's Rookie year happened. I was either 4-5 years old. So if anyone thinks that the Defense Peyton had was better, I'd have to take your word for it since I was little lol

You ask a lot of Questions Stewie lol

But I definitely think he'll have a better season. One of the reasons being, IMO I think Luck has a better Defense then Peyton did so this should also be a + for Luck to do better.

PS: I was not into Football when Peyton's Rookie year happened. I was either 4-5 years old. So if anyone thinks that the Defense Peyton had was better, I'd have to take your word for it since I was little lol

No, the defense was horrible. The O was better than what Luck has.

Even that is arguable.

Running Backs

Faulk is better than any back on the 98 team, but the trio that will see the field this year, will be productive. I doubt this years group see's the amount of passes that Faulk saw.

Wide Receivers

18 had a young Marvin and that is it. Luck has far better group of receivers.

Tight Ends.

Dilger & Pollard were solid, but if push comes to shove I'd take Allen and Fleener.

OL

Some will argue Glenn & Meadows are better than the tackles playing this year and overall they are, but they were young and about on par with what you see here now, they certainly weren't anything special at that point. A couple of young guys and a couple of vets looking for last/second chances... If anything I'd give the OL a push and call the sum of each OL about equal.

Defense I'd say this year has the edge.

Special teams, I would say that this year has the edge as well.

They should win more games.

He should have better stats based on the way the game was played.

We also didn't discard a hall of famer in 1998 for Manning, so Luck has higher expectations whether they are fair or not.

Well you know the saying "defense wins championships" lol

Ironically, it did when we beat CHI. Crazy how an Offensive Powerhouse became a Defensive Powerhouse in one Post-Season. Then after that, started to fall apart lol

Ironically, it did when we beat CHI. Crazy how an Offensive Powerhouse became a Defensive Powerhouse in one Post-Season. Then after that, started to fall apart lol

That was true back 20 + yrs ago,not so much today (however it helps)

Luck stats would be inflated compared to Mannings being that the rules has changed drastically since Mannigs rookie year, so of course Luck's numbers are going to be better. Now if Luck had to play when the NFL let defensive backs harrass receivers up and down the field then this would be a fair question to ask

The emergence of young 6th round rookie Antoine Bethea certainly helped. The guy was a play maker right away.

The emergence of young 6th round rookie Antoine Bethea certainly helped. The guy was a play maker right away.

He was, & still is. Can't wait for him to get his 1st pick in this NEW Defense. He got it at PIT, but I mean the one that Actually counts.

I'm waiting on his Pick, Mathis', Freeney's, & Powers

Being that we haven't shown much in the running game thus far, I would guess that we will rely heavely on the pass. So Luck may end up having better stats. I think that he will have more wins, (he needs to win more than 3 games). I also think that he will have less INT's because the passing game so far has shown to have a lot of short and intermediate routes. He will not be taking too many chances.

He's got a shot. Hopefully he can approach 26 TD's but not throw 28 INT's. Don't know if he'll go over 3,700 yards first time out though with a young receiving core. He might not beat out Peyton's rookie year statistically (only Cam has) but right now he is further along developmentally than when Peyton first came into the league. It will be interesting.

The way I look at it is that Peyton redefined the position - he has made possible what Luck is about to do. QB's come to the league more prepared today as rookies because of the preparation standard set by QB's of the last 15 years. Manning is the poster child for that. It is more of a passing league, defensive rules are restrictive, and the statistics are watered down as a result. Manning and contemporaries were change agents for all that. As a result, yes, I think Luck will have a better rookie season than Peyton did - more wins, more yards, more TD's and fewer picks.

The way I look at it is that Peyton redefined the position - he has made possible what Luck is about to do. QB's come to the league more prepared today as rookies because of the preparation standard set by QB's of the last 15 years. Manning is the poster child for that. It is more of a passing league, defensive rules are restrictive, and the statistics are watered down as a result. Manning and contemporaries were change agents for all that. As a result, yes, I think Luck will have a better rookie season than Peyton did - more wins, more yards, more TD's and fewer picks.

I couldn't agree more.

Yes and yes.

Yes, I think the 2012 Colts will have a better record than the 1998 Colts. More than 3 wins? Yes.

And yes, I think Luck will have better stats than Manning. Not because he's better, but because all the rules changes of the last 15 years favor the offense. Luck should have better stats than Peyton.

Even that is arguable.

Running Backs

Faulk is better than any back on the 98 team, but the trio that will see the field this year, will be productive. I doubt this years group see's the amount of passes that Faulk saw.

Wide Receivers

18 had a young Marvin and that is it. Luck has far better group of receivers.

Tight Ends.

Dilger & Pollard were solid, but if push comes to shove I'd take Allen and Fleener.

OL

Some will argue Glenn & Meadows are better than the tackles playing this year and overall they are, but they were young and about on par with what you see here now, they certainly weren't anything special at that point. A couple of young guys and a couple of vets looking for last/second chances... If anything I'd give the OL a push and call the sum of each OL about equal.

Defense I'd say this year has the edge.

Special teams, I would say that this year has the edge as well.

They should win more games.

He should have better stats based on the way the game was played.

We also didn't discard a hall of famer in 1998 for Manning, so Luck has higher expectations whether they are fair or not.

That's fair. We also have the luxury of looking back at the 98 team to see what they eventually became. Who knows, Costanza could be better than Glenn. Reitz and Angerer, and even Hughes could be guys that we'll be saying were great 15 years from now. Link could end up being an all... never mind, no one will believe that one...