Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

(Replacement Refs) Roger Goodell Can You Hear The NFL Players And Fans Now? (merge)

southwest1

Dolphins head coach was on M&M this morning ... said he is pleased with the replacement refs and thinks they have been doing a good job. He said of course there have been a few ticky tack calls, but he said you get that with any group of refs!

Again, IMO its the media that has / is blowing the story up into something much more than it is!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dolphins head coach was on M&M this morning ... said he is pleased with the replacement refs and thinks they have been doing a good job. He said of course there have been a few ticky tack calls, but he said you get that with any group of refs!

Again, IMO its the media that has / is blowing the story up into something much more than it is!

Uh, did you watch MNF?

Those replacement refs were ridiculously pathetic.

Former NFL official: Goodell doesn't care about replacement problems

THERE IS A 6 MINUTE VIDEO DEBATE DISCUSSING EACH SIDE OF THE ISSUE

In it I love 1 point, the NFL is a league that cares about the color of your socks or how high they are they are so tight about the game rules & protecting their shield & they let this happen

( Personally I remember they wouldn't let Peyton honor Unitas with black high tops )

Former NFL official Jerry Markbreit believes the NFL and commissioner Roger Goodell are acting arrogantly regarding the lockout of its regular officials.

“It’s obvious to me that (Goodell) just doesn’t even care,” Markbreit said on ESPN’s 98.7 “The Mike Lupica Show.”

“Otherwise, how could they replace professionalism with unprofessionalism in a game that’s so tough to work, even for the best officials in the land? How could he care about it?”

Markbreit, who was an NFL official for 23 years,

does not anticipate the replacement officiating to improve as the season progresses.

“The management of the game gets tougher,” Markbreit said.

now they have a bunch of amateurs out there and it’s going to fall apart. It’s not going to get better as the commissioner said. It’s going to get worse.”

http://aol.sportingn...odell-markbreit

Interesting point on here about the NFL strict rigidness regarding football attire, uniforms, and the height and color of socks, but zebra experience and professionalism is insignificant. I remember the league forbidding QB Peyton Manning from paying tribute to Johnny Unitas by wearing identical shoes/cleats of his era.

http://community.sea...0914&slug=les14

And yet NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has no issue with rookie referees who drastically alter the flow of the game, are not consistent on pass interference calls or roughing the passer calls, and are easily pushed around, manipulated, and intimidated. Oh yes, the pink elephant in the room: The NFL shield, integrity, gambling, and a less than bulletproof reputation that is starting to rust, decay, and corrode to its core.

Nice post Bayone. :thmup:

I think whats going to have to happen, is a huge brawl on the field where the replacement refs completely loose control.

The NFL will blame the players involved, fine them, and suspend them, then will have a softer stance in negotiations with the real refs. They will take the credit but it will be pathetic because it took complete chaos to force them to really negotiate.

Or maybe the importance of officiating will drop to the level where we will see players chasing refs around the field because they didn't like the call. J/k

Another thing that bothers me about this whole rookie referee vs seasoned zebra fiasco: People who say that this problem can't be solved with money. Yes it can. It's always about the money, especially in professional sports. Everyone has a price and money makes tension, frustration, and near venomous hatred for another negotiating party disappear as soon as you are paid and sign on the dotted line.

Maybe the seasoned zebras are asking for too much right now perhaps that is true, but that is how contract negotiations work: high ball your asking price, gradually make concessions, and you arrive somewhere in the middle at a nice bump in salary and improved benefits. It's how the world works baby.

Interesting point on here about the NFL strict rigidness regarding football attire, uniforms, and the height and color of socks, but zebra experience and professionalism is insignificant. I remember the league forbidding QB Peyton Manning from paying tribute to Johnny Unitas by wearing identical shoes/cleats of his era.

http://community.sea...0914&slug=les14

And yet NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has no issue with rookie referees who drastically alter the flow of the game, are not consistent on pass interference calls or roughing the passer calls, and are easily pushed around, manipulated, and intimidated. Oh yes, the pink elephant in the room: The NFL shield, integrity, gambling, and a less than bulletproof reputation that is starting to rust, decay, and corrode to its core.

Nice post Bayone. :thmup:

Like that link thats what i meant

from it

just to be sure, Manning called the Unitas family. He had heard that while Unitas loved the Baltimore Colts he was not too fond of the franchise after it moved to Indianapolis. He wanted to make sure that wearing black high-tops would not serve to bring more heartbreak.

The quarterback's son, Joe Unitas, told Manning the family would be honored.

Then the iron fist of the NFL came crashing down.

The Colts, you see, don't wear black shoes. They wear white shoes. And in the color-coded world of the NFL, where conformity matters, Manning wearing black high-tops would not be tolerated.

I think whats going to have to happen, is a huge brawl on the field where the replacement refs completely loose control.

The NFL will blame the players involved, fine them, and suspend them, then will have a softer stance in negotiations with the real refs. They will take the credit but it will be pathetic because it took complete chaos to force them to really negotiate.

Or maybe the importance of officiating will drop to the level where we will see players chasing refs around the field because they didn't like the call. J/k

I like your final conclusion on the referee lockout better than mine i.e. a catastrophic NFL player injury like a broken vertebrae or spinal cord injury. Maybe the national embarrassment of a brawl on broadcast/satellite TV will force the NFL to hammer out a new deal. God I hope so man. I do like the idea of a LB or DE running after a rookie referee though. haha Who needs a treadmill or gym membership right? Only teasing of course.

I know the World Wrestling Federation is a joke as a sport, but this cartoon made me laugh. It reminded me of the lack of professionalism the NFL is willing to accept right now with no reservations at all.

Just click on the cartoon to read it.

jlvn241l.jpg

Am I the only one who thinks that Godell will hear us when the OWNERS like Kraft and Jerry Jones get ticked off because their teams lose a game (or two) because of the replacement refs? jONES WILL HAVE AN ANURISM IF WHAT HAPPENED TO THE pATS HAPPENS TO THE cOWBOYS. (Yes a minor call but JJ is a hot head and would lose it..)

Hahaha good 1 Bayone. The NFLs concern over its image and reputation is a bad joke, their concern is dictated by popularity and money. The concern over concussions and safety was just a counter to the lawsuites coming in. Goodell is just a puppet who will receive most of the blame , instead of the owners, unless your Jerry Jones and make stupid statements that the replacements are fine.

Am I the only one who thinks that Godell will hear us when the OWNERS like Kraft and Jerry Jones get ticked off because their teams lose a game (or two) because of the replacement refs? jONES WILL HAVE AN ANURISM IF WHAT HAPPENED TO THE pATS HAPPENS TO THE cOWBOYS. (Yes a minor call but JJ is a hot head and would lose it..)

Yeah, I could see Jerry Jones blowing his top over a horrible call preventing the Cowboys from making the Playoffs. :mindblow: Good point JimJaime. :disco:

That would be classic because Jones has been quoted saying the replacements are fine and fans have always complained.

The NFLs concern over its image and reputation is a bad joke, their concern is dictated by popularity and money. The concern over concussions and safety was just a counter to the lawsuites coming in.

Can we put this on a plaque with gold leaf engraving and give it to every owner in the NFL from a ticked off Santa Claus who has put them all on his naughty list this year?

And we're not talkin' bout the good kind of "naughty" here either if you catch my drift Joker... :funny:haha:lol:

Hahaha good 1 Bayone. The NFLs concern over its image and reputation is a bad joke, their concern is dictated by popularity and money. The concern over concussions and safety was just a counter to the lawsuites coming in. Goodell is just a puppet who will receive most of the blame , instead of the owners, unless your Jerry Jones and make stupid statements that the replacements are fine.

Can we put this on a plaque with gold leaf engraving and give it to every owner in the NFL from a ticked off Santa Claus who has put them all on his naughty list this year?

And we're not talkin' bout the good kind of "naughty" here either if you catch my drift Joker... :funny:haha:lol:

NFL warns all 32 teams about confronting replacement officials

Cites Specifically Broncos / Falcons game

In the wake of a tough weekend for replacement officials -- including several high-profile confrontations between players, coaches and the referees -- several senior NFL officials made phone calls Thursday to the owners, general managers and coaches from all 32 teams in an effort to rein in on-field behavior.

"The purpose was to send a message that everyone has a responsibility on respect for the game," NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson explained by phone Thursday night. "Everyone needs to be mindful that this respect for the game has to be practiced at all times, and that the events of Monday evening, in the first half of that game, represented unacceptable behavior

"We're ( NFL ) not gonna tolerate it.

And we expect that everyone we talked to pass word on to everyone involved on the sideline that we expect there to be a respect for what's going on."

On potential penalties for any such behavior going forward, Anderson said: "Fines. And if it's egregious, over-the-line stuff, we could include any other penalties, like suspensions, that are normally assessed."

The NFL and NFL Referees Association, meanwhile, remain at a standstill. The parties had back-door discussions Tuesday and Wednesday that, according to sources with direct knowledge of the discussions, did not go particularly well.

"Whoever the official is needs to be respected," Anderson said

I've heard the substitute-teacher analogy This isn't a classroom. These guys are professionals, and we expect a professional football environment.

http://www.nfl.com/n...ement-officials

Las Vegas is adapting point spread wise to the rookie referees...Roger Goodell you are turning into a national joke.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8402489/nfl-replacement-officials-affecting-vegas-bets

Sheer Incompetence in time management by the NFL front office not valuing experience and professionalism.

http://youtu.be/oFkGNQePbXc

I noted somewhere else too its changing vegas odds makers

Thanks if not said it

Monday night was a disaster...I still don't know how Atlanta recovered that fumble unless there was some strong arming going down in that pile.

Full agreement, a ref was supposed to wait & unscramble the pile before making a call, even announcers said it

also announcers pointed out that Broncos lucky was insde 2 minutes so upstairs took a look at DT 's TD catch footwork as Ref called it out of bounds but should have been down near ground watching sideline and not standing up when making such a call & was overturned

& just read this,

DID ATLANTA DO 2 illegal picks r to extend last drive denying peyton a chance for comeback

Did Falcons get away with illegal play to extinguish rally by Broncos?

NOW this is a denver article so take it for what its worth

in a prime example of how the sport's integrity and the league standings are being compromised by substandard officiating.

With the game's outcome in the balance,

Atlanta gained a first down, squelched a furious rally by the Broncos and iceda 27-21 victorywith a pass play where the Falcons were obviously guilty of offensive pass interference that went unpunished by inexperienced NFL refs. Commissioner Roger Goodell should cringe with embarrassment if he inspects the third-down play by Atlanta with 2 minutes, 35 seconds remaining and the Falcons on their own 25-yard line.

Atlanta receiver Roddy White committed offensive pass interference against Denver cornerback Champ Bailey on a classic, illegal pick play that resulted in a six-yard catch by Julio Jones, the beneficiary of the Falcons' disregard for the rules in a situation where replacement officials would naturally be hesitant to make a crucial call certain to be unpopular with the home crowd.

Needing five yards to keep the drive alive and avoid punting to give Denver quarterback Peyton Manning a chance at late-game heroics, the Falcons set two illegal picks to free Jones on an underneath route.

With Bailey at the line of scrimmage in press coverage, he gets shoved down the field by White. Before the snap, the Atlanta tight end points at Broncos safety Mike Adams, lining up a target to clear out even more space for a short, easy throw from quarterback Matt Ryan to Jones. It's tough to accuse Atlanta of breaking the rules, but it's a conclusion reached only after repeated viewings of the play in question and conversations with longtime NFL observers, given anonymity to avoid the wrath of the league office.

The failure of zebras who haven't earned their stripes cost Manning a shot to complete one of the greatest comebacks in the history of "Monday Night Football."

The NFL knows America loves the game too much to stop watching.

It's too bad the NFL doesn't love the game enough to care about making the correct calls.

Read more:Did Falcons get away with illegal play to extinguish rally by Broncos? - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpos...y#ixzz278FPhdN9

Check out this latest NFL rookie referee cartoon in the Wisconsin State Journal from Sept. 13, 2012. :funny:haha:lol:

See Attached file labeled: "NFL Replacement Ref's Hand Signals."

Click on the cartoon to read it.

How could u post that, the NFL wont tolerate making fun of their professionals u may get suspended ,( LOL )

How could u post that, the NFL wont tolerate making fun of their professionals u may get suspended ,( LOL )

I would just make the following counter argument: I agree 100% Roger Goodell. Professionalism, or the gross lack there of professionalism, is precisely the root of the WHOLE problem. That has been my fundamental thesis throughout this entire topic and I refuse to wavier from that philosophy at all. Goodell and the NFL owners know that I am exactly right too.

I would just make the following counter argument: I agree 100% Roger Goodell. Professionalism, or the gross lack there of professionalism, is precisely the root of the WHOLE problem. That has been my fundamental thesis throughout this entire topic and I refuse to wavier from that philosophy at all. Goodell and the NFL owners know that I am exactly right too.

Dont matter what they know is right Does it, ???

they are doing whatever they want the way they want ! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last year was a lockout & Face of NFL / Peyton couldnt be seen by his trusted Colt rehab staff setting him back more

this year its the refs issue

Untill we all shut our TV & dont show up at games they make their $$$$$$$$$$ and proceed as they want

Not that all feel , GREEED IS GOOD but enough , Goodell feel;s POWER IS GOOD & his ego loves it

Dont matter what they know is right Does it, ???

they are doing whatever they want the way they want ! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last year was a lockout & Face of NFL / Peyton couldnt be seen by his trusted Colt rehab staff setting him back more

this year its the refs issue

Untill we all shut our TV & dont show up at games they make their $$$$$$$$$$ and proceed as they want

Not that all feel , GREEED IS GOOD but enough , Goodell feel;s POWER IS GOOD & his ego loves it

Yup, unless the fan base boycotts the NFL by refusing to watch the games on TV, Roger Goodell isn't going to alter his original position that rookie zebras will adapt, learn on the fly, and do just fine.

Cue Gordon Gekko from the Oliver Stone film "Wallstreet" please...[2 curse words in this clip. Sorry.]

Yup, unless the NFL fan base boycotts the NFL by refusing to watch the games on TV, Roger Goodell isn't going to alter his original position that rookie zebras will adapt, learn on the fly, and do just fine.

Cue Gordon Geeco from the Oliver Stone film "Wallstreet" please...[2 curse words in this clip. Sorry.]

Obviously That's Where I got my GREED IS GOOD Line from

Liked latest version too Wall Street Money Never Sleeps,

Anyway, enjoy the games Go Colts , Go Broncos , have to go now ( Go Now , no am not listening toi it but is early song by THE WHO just like and got to love this name ODERAMA though my spelling may be off

Obviously That's Where I got my GREED IS GOOD Line from

Liked latest version too Wall Street Money Never Sleeps,

Anyway, enjoy the games Go Colts , Go Broncos , have to go now ( Go Now , no am not listening toi it but is early song by THE WHO just like and got to love this name ODERAMA though my spelling may be off

I always remember that infamous line from "WallStreet" "Money isn't lost or gained. It's simply transferred." It sends chills down my spine everytime I hear it...As long as you're the recipient of the transfer it's great, if not, your future looks bleak by comparison.

I always remember that infamous line from "WallStreet" "Money isn't lost or gained. It's simply transferred." It sends chills down my spine everytime I hear it...As long as you're the recipient of the transfer it's great, if not, your future looks bleak by comparison.

to true

Sunday Night Football against the NE Patriots and Baltimore Ravens was some of the worst referee officiating I have seen in my entire life. Hammer out a new deal with the regular NFL zebras now Roger Goodell.

I can see why Coach Bill Belicheck and Jim Harbaugh are so upset. Even NBC SNF host Cris Collinsworth said these rookie zebras "aren't equipped to handle officiating at the NFL level." Their lack of consistency is astonishingly horrible IMO.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/20343228/bill-belichick-accosts-official-after-patriotsravens-game-sunday-night

"Here's a suggestion: fine Belichick $3 million and use the money to bridge the gap between the locked-out refs and the league. It's not even that the new guys are doing that bad a job, it's just that another week of hearing about the job they're doing is going to take the fun out of watching football."

Sorry that the Grey Hoodie might have to play the sacrificial lamb and take the heat here, but if Bill Belicheck gets the regular zebras back on the football field, I will hug Robert Kraft for ending the CBA gridlock, Bill for paying the money to get decent calls again, and Jeff Saturday because well #63 is AWESOME man come on. haha:thmup:

Interesting theory floated after the game tonight that the coaches may start going to Goodell behind the scenes and start putting pressure on him to get a deal done.

Interesting theory floated after the game tonight that the coaches may start going to Goodell behind the scenes and start putting pressure on him to get a deal done.

Good! Last night was just hard to watch because it was on the brink of getting out of control. I only got to watch the first half and at no point did I really feel like they were in control of that game. Players and coaches are taking advantage of their ignorance out there and pushing all the boundaries.

The sad thing is Roger really does not have to do anything. The fans continue to come every Sunday and sit their butts in those seats. Sure they go home and complain on social media sites, but the next Sunday they are right back in those seats. Until the fans start not showing up and the NFL feels it in their wallets they have no reason to get this resolved.

The only way I see this being resolved quickly is as JJ said. A top tier owner like Kraft or Jones would have to watch his team get blatantly screwed and to go to Roger. I would not be suprised if we go all season with replacement refs as long as something horrible like what almost happened in the Seahawks game a few weeks ago. It is a shame the Seahawks did not pull the win off after getting an extra timeout because that would probably bee the pressure the media, fans, and the ref union needed.

Good! Last night was just hard to watch because it was on the brink of getting out of control. I only got to watch the first half and at no point did I really feel like they were in control of that game. Players and coaches are taking advantage of their ignorance out there and pushing all the boundaries.

The sad thing is Roger really does not have to do anything. The fans continue to come every Sunday and sit their butts in those seats. Sure they go home and complain on social media sites, but the next Sunday they are right back in those seats. Until the fans start not showing up and the NFL feels it in their wallets they have no reason to get this resolved.

The only way I see this being resolved quickly is as JJ said. A top tier owner like Kraft or Jones would have to watch his team get blatantly screwed and to go to Roger. I would not be suprised if we go all season with replacement refs as long as something horrible like what almost happened in the Seahawks game a few weeks ago. It is a shame the Seahawks did not pull the win off after getting an extra timeout because that would probably bee the pressure the media, fans, and the ref union needed.

I don't blame players and coaches one bit. I'd be pushing the envelope every chance I got. Can you say substitute teacher? Let the mayhem and chaos be unleashed.

Just wait for a controversial call that keeps a deserving team out of the Playoffs. It's gonna happen; I can feel it down to my bones. If it happened to Jerry Jones, I'd laugh my caboose off. :lol:

Owners you refused to pay the regular zebras...You made this bed now sleep in it or buy a new bed. :thmup: You all know what must be done.

I'm confused and am hoping that someone can unconfuse me.

Many are blaming Roger Goodell for this fiasco; but aren't the owners just as much, if not more, to blame?

I always thought that in cases like this Roger Goodell was working on behalf of and at the directive of the owners.

Okay, we have all seen it, the Monday night ESPN game that robbed the GB Packers of a game winning interception and handed the SeaHawks a victory in the Pacific Northwest by zebra incompetence. How can 2 officials standing next to each other in the endzone get the call so wrong...1 says touchdown and the other says no catch?

HOF 49ers QB Steve Young said it best tonight. The NFL's revered reputation as an international sport is unraveling at it's seams and is becoming a joke when it comes to integrity.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8422593

On Sunday night, the Raven fans were chanting "Bull [expletive]!!! Over pass interference calls or holding calls against the Patriots that weren't exactly accurate and that is the nicest way I can phrase it.

Tonight, Packers QB Aaron Rogers refers to the final outcome as "awful" and Coach McCarthy says "I've never seen anything like that in all my years of football." What's it gonna take to hammer a deal and get the regular zebras back on the field? I am fuming right now... :cuss: I have no real solutions right now. I am merely ticked off to level 12 on a 1 out of 10 scale.

Okay, we have all seen it, the Monday night ESPN game that robbed the GB Packers of a game winning interception and handed the SeaHawks a victory in the Pacific Northwest by zebra incompetence. How can 2 officials standing next to each other in the endzone get the call so wrong...1 says touchdown and the other says no catch?

HOF 49ers QB Steve Young said it best tonight. The NFL's revered reputation as an international sport is unraveling at it's seams and is becoming a joke when it comes to integrity.

http://espn.go.com/v...clip?id=8422593

Okay if the players and coaches are so upset about the refs how about they open up their pocket books and volunteer to take some money out of their pockets to pay the refs to have them back. That's what this debate is coming down too money. SO if they all think the game is in danger of becoming a joke and stuff like that then I say do something about it and tell Goodell you'll pay to cover the different in the dispute. I have a feeling if it comes down to hitting them in the pocket book they will be just fine with the replacement refs. If they think these guys stink they say that but I don't want to hear them talk about the integrity of the game because most of them don't care about they are seeing a chance to take a shot at a commissioner they don't like and doing it.