• 75 replies
    • 5.4k views
  6. remove this post

• 1 reply
    • 3 replies
    • 181 replies
    • 13.2k views
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Season Ticket Wait List

• I mean the comparison being made in the article/thread. And that's probably not the right word, it's just an example to illustrate the point that you're making -- it takes more than six games for a QB to figure out how to do their job.
    • I agree that any realisitic playoff hopes are likely done if we go 0-3. But I don't think anything drastic has to happen mid season. At worse, fire Gus Bradley. Ballard's job can be determined in the off-season.
    • Specifically regarding the run defense, the players obviously need to play better. And while it's trite and annoying to hear, it really is little things that lead to bad defensive performances in the run game. That's illustrated by how the run defense appeared to correct itself halfway through the Packers game.    For example, the Packers ran a similar run play at least three times in this game. It stood out to me because it had some misdirection and a reverse side handoff. The first time they ran it, it was a big gain. The second time, more moderate gain. By the third time, in the second half, the Colts defense was ready for it, and I think they stopped it for a loss. Same defensive personnel, much different results. My point is that the Colts have sufficient personnel to be better against the run (setting aside questions about Buckner's absence). We can definitely point to assignment failures, poor tackling, and lack of physicality, which are personnel issues. But those issues should be addressed by the current players performing better, which we have evidence of them doing already this season. I'm not saying the run defense is "fixed" because they did better in the second half vs the Packers, only saying that's evidence that they can play much better than they have so far.   The scheme issues are many and varied. This latest decision to put Bryan at NT is mind boggling, not just because I don't think Bryan is a good player. Mostly, it's because we have a proven NT in Stewart, and secondly because we signed a mountainous backup to Stewart in Davis. So why are we using the undersized 3T who underperforms, we presumably have two better options ahead of him? It's like we're making a personnel issue a scheme issue.   Which gets back to coaching in general. I have a lot of questions about coaching right now. Some are pretty obvious, and they're on both sides of the ball (like JT's usage). Even STs, like why Matt Gay is kicking when he just had a hernia "procedure." I think we have coaching and personnel issues, but the coaching issues seem self-inflicted and mostly correctable.    And just to go back to defense, again, I agree that there are personnel issues. But I don't think it matters what personnel we have, Gus Bradley is not going to adjust his scheme, and that limits the defensive output. 
    • "See where we are midway through the season. If we’re 0-8 then your hopes will be more realized."  
    • Bryan is subpar regardless of where they try to hide him on the d-line so it wasn't going to look good anyway...
  • Topics