Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could Giants play spoiler?

lance_m8

17 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

And who might that be?

You have caught me, I deliberately left that open! haha

I don't like picking now as things change so much between now and draft day.  Chubb and Barkley seem to be the hot names and both would be good fits but the HC hire may also affect what we are looking for.

I also still don't put it past Ballard trading back but the terms would need to be right and would need to be a really attractive offer.  It is so rare to get that top 5 selection, let alone 3rd after two very QB hungry teams.

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Almost always if a team is jumping another team to select a franchise QB they receive 1 or even 2 future 1st round picks if we get shafted and don't get the return like the others then that will suck 

You are not getting another first rounder from the Jets or Broncos if they move up with us unless you give something up this draft. You will, with the Cardinals, definitely. If you want to get another future first rounder from the Jets or Broncos, we may have to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder at least this year or next, and if we want to just accrue picks and not lose ANY, then the best you will get from the Jets is a swap of the 1st rounders and both their second rounders, IMO.

Most cases of multiple first rounders gained without giving up anything is when teams move more than 5 spots at least, you can look it up. Plus, Mike Ditka giving up the farm for 1 player is an anamoly, not going to repeat itself. :) 

Here is an article for you to peruse:

https://www.draftkings.com/playbook/nfl/biggest-draft-pick-trades-nfl-history

But then, I maybe wrong and history could repeat itself from the RG3 trade. 

To everyone who wants to take Barkley. Look, I get that he would be an amazing compliment to Luck.

But look at this stat:

Andrew Luck is undefeated (25-0) when the Colts allow 19 points or less in his NFL career.

That said, I feel that we have to take Chubb and then go with the O-Line in later rounds and with free agency as well.

Imagine if we could allow 19 points or less every game in 2018? Not 16-0, but very close to that.

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

The one thing we see a lot is QB's being taken surprisingly early (Trubisky et al last year).  Hopefully that trend continues and we get the best player in the draft. :thmup:

Except there wasn't any et al last year.

Yes, Trubisky went high (2nd) but Watson went around 12 and Mahomes went around 20 (give or take)...   so not every first round quarterback is taken in the top 5.

It would be great if that happens this year because it would help the Colts.   I just don't see that happening.

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

You are not getting another first rounder from the Jets or Broncos if they move up with us unless you give something up this draft. You will, with the Cardinals, definitely. If you want to get another future first rounder from the Jets or Broncos, we may have to give up a 3rd or 4th rounder at least this year or next, and if we want to just accrue picks and not lose ANY, then the best you will get from the Jets is a swap of the 1st rounders and both their second rounders, IMO.

Most cases of multiple first rounders gained without giving up anything is when teams move more than 5 spots at least, you can look it up. Plus, Mike Ditka giving up the farm for 1 player is an anamoly, not going to repeat itself. :) 

Here is an article for you to peruse:

https://www.draftkings.com/playbook/nfl/biggest-draft-pick-trades-nfl-history

But then, I maybe wrong and history could repeat itself from the RG3 trade. 

That's what I'm going by is the RG3 trade 

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Except there wasn't any et al last year.

Yes, Trubisky went high (2nd) but Watson went around 12 and Mahomes went around 20 (give or take)...   so not every first round quarterback is taken in the top 5.

It would be great if that happens this year because it would help the Colts.   I just don't see that happening.

Agreed, my perspective on the "et al" was mostly due to my memory of the surprise of Watson being taken that high as I don't think many draft "experts" had him that high......obviously now proven to be great value based on rookie year.

8 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Or as previously stated, draft Barkley, let the giants do as they please because they know we wont be drafting a QB, and then get the next best QB at 4th.  They get what they want and save picks. 

But then they would get 3rd choice at QB and the QB they like most will likely be gone. If they don’t take a QB at 1 then other teams will be looking to trade for our pick to leapfrog the Browns 

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

That's what I'm going by is the RG3 trade 

We will see. I don't see such a QB hyped in this draft. Luck and RG3 were both really hyped then and thankfully, we had the #1 pick then. I'd rather expect less and be surprised than expect more and be disappointed. :) 

4 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

But then they would get 3rd choice at QB and the QB they like most will likely be gone. If they don’t take a QB at 1 then other teams will be looking to trade for our pick to leapfrog the Browns 

How do you figure 3rd choice ?! Are we drafting a QB? There's no way were trading the pick. Too many great options that we won't get anywhere else.

Regardless, they can still get a top RB and a good QB, while saving tons of picks. 

3 hours ago, Narcosys said:

How do you figure 3rd choice ?! Are we drafting a QB? There's no way were trading the pick. Too many great options that we won't get anywhere else.

Regardless, they can still get a top RB and a good QB, while saving tons of picks. 

Don’t say there’s no way. If the Browns pass on a QB we will more than likely trade back to a team wanting the 2nd QB while still staying in the top 10. Lots of teams need QBs and will pay a premium to get their guy. It’s not a smart move by the Browns unless they are confident the QB they like will still be available at 4.

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

I would bet a lot of money that if they take barkley first that the colts would be trading back.  Theres no way were not going to trade back in that scenario. 

5 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

Don’t say there’s no way. If the Browns pass on a QB we will more than likely trade back to a team wanting the 2nd QB while still staying in the top 10. Lots of teams need QBs and will pay a premium to get their guy. It’s not a smart move by the Browns unless they are confident the QB they like will still be available at 4.

And how many picks will we lose out on? Williams, nelson, and chubbs to name few. People that will round out the the next 3. 

On 1/3/2018 at 5:14 AM, Narcosys said:

I hope this happens...we don't even have a need for RB, its a ridiculous idea. 

I agree.  A RB is a fragile asset.  They take such a beating.  You're better off with 3-4 versatile backs, some of whom can catch.  There is no shortage.  It's all a waste too, if your o-line sucks.

12 hours ago, Narcosys said:

And how many picks will we lose out on? Williams, nelson, and chubbs to name few. People that will round out the the next 3. 

In that scenario we would likely trade back to 5 or 6 with the broncos or jets who are looking to leapfrog the Browns for a QB. We can still get any of those 3 you listed and any non QB not named Barkley. We pick up an extra 2nd round pick at least and still get our guy.