Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mayfield to jets done deal?

Not a Mayfield fan.  I think his personality is a fit for college but not for grown men.  I don't worry about Mayfield on a bad team. I worry bout him if he actually becomes a good qb in the NFL.  I really think he would become intolerable.  Rosen will become the best qb out of this draft hands down.  People r forcing themselves to love the other qbs and hate Rosen.  Who is the best qb based on college tape?  Who played the qb like a professional NFL qb out of college?  That's what I care bout. Sure he does have some injury concerns.  That being said, I would rather risk that then drafting a guy who comes to camp and then he wings it around practice. I then  realize what a big mistake I made in drafting him because he can't hit a tight window....read a defence or hit the broad side of a barn

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s no way they traded up that far for a guy who isn’t quite as bad as Manziel but isn’t close to Russell Wilson. They’re taking Rosen or Allen

The only thing Mayfield and Manziel have in common is their height....    otherwise, almost nothing....

See beyond the obvious....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

The only thing Mayfield and Manziel have in common is their height....    otherwise, almost nothing....

See beyond the obvious....

-Off the field concerns

-Extra movement in the pocket that is sometimes wasted

-Average arm talent

-Ridiculous college production in a college offense that might not translate at the next level

-No one truly blue chip trait

-Lots of wins

-Emotional immaturity described as being a "fiery" competitor

-Boom or bust prospect

They've got a bunch of similarities. I don't think he is 100% Manziel, but he also isn't Brees or Wilson who people try to say is his ceiling because of his height. I think he's somewhere in-between. He's a better overall QB than Manziel but he doesn't have the skillset of a Wilson.

8 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

-Off the field concerns

-Average arm talent

-Ridiculous college production in a college offense that might not translate at the next level

-Lots of wins

-Boom or bust prospect

They've got a bunch of similarities. I don't think he is 100% Manziel, but he also isn't Brees or Wilson who people try to say is his ceiling because of his height. I think he's somewhere in-between. He's a better overall QB than Manziel but he doesn't have the skillset of a Wilson.

I don't know if those are your views of Mayfield or if you read that somewhere....

But I've yet to read comments from professional evaluators that would agree with what you wrote.

I think if the views you wrote were popular, I'd have read them elsewhere...   and for the most part,  I haven't.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tvturner said:

The Jets will ruin him.

Truer words have never been so eloquently spoken. The Jets are so dysfunctional as a franchise I wouldn't want to go there. Maybe he should pull a John Elway or Eli Manning & refuse to play for Big Blue's illegitimate step child in New Jersey. I'd talk it over with my agent for sure. 

I get that the writing is on the wall & Baker will in all likelihood end up there, but jesus. What's their team abbreviation again? Oh yeah, Just End The Season. Yep. 

What's Firemen Ed think? Or is he still not attending games? I don't blame him.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

-Off the field concerns

-Average arm talent

-Lots of wins

-Boom or bust prospect

He's the most accurate QB in the draft....

He's a leader, and a damn good one. His crotch grab doesn't make him a villain. He has the passion to win. Coaches love it.

He doesn't have off the field problems, he was drunk and didn't do anything disastrous.

Don't agree with your average arm assessment

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

His personality would fit in well in New York. I really like the guy and honestly think he’s the best QB in the draft. I only hope the Jets can get some help around him. I wonder if he’d sit behind Bridgewater for a year, but I think he’s as pro ready as anyone. 

Hey there Peytonator, 

Always good to read a post from you. I don't understand why Baker gets so much grief. He'll be fine. Some off the field stuff that's overblown in my estimation. The kid can play. I agree let Bridgewater get knocked around first & give Mayfield time to get used to the tempo of the NFL, film study, & that defensive guys can close distance a lot faster than in college. 

Hope all is well BTW. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

There’s no way they traded up that far for a guy who isn’t quite as bad as Manziel but isn’t close to Russell Wilson. They’re taking Rosen or Allen

J. Allen is the least ready QB in the top tier.  That is one reason he fits the Browns... develop him behind Tyrod Taylor...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tvturner said:

He's the most accurate QB in the draft....

He's a leader, and a damn good one. His crotch grab doesn't make him a villain. He has the passion to win. Coaches love it.

He doesn't have off the field problems, he was drunk and didn't do anything disastrous.

Don't agree with your average arm assessment

Accuracy isn't really a trait. There are so many different things that play into that. The receivers, how often a QB is under pressure, weather, scheme, opposing coverage, etc... For it to be a trait it has to be something that can't fluctuate.

Passion to win is a blanket statement for immaturity. No one called Manziel "fiery" and "passionate" when he flipped off a bunch of fans in the NFL. If he can't handle not getting his hand shook in college, he isn't ready to lead grown men. Trash talk is fine but he should just let his play speak. Luck is as passionate as they come and you don't see him crotch grabbing.

And he does have off the field issues. He was arrested for public intoxication, disorderly conduct, and resisting and fleeing arrest. He reached a plead deal of course, but that's significant. There's a video of the whole ordeal too. The whole "college kids make mistakes" mantra doesn't just mean the incident gets swept under the rug

And his arm talent is average. Actually, Allen is the only QB in the class with elite arm talent. Darnold and Jackson have good but not great arms, and everyone else has average arms (although Rosen did let a couple rainbows fly at the combine).

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

Accuracy isn't really a trait. There are so many different things that play into that. The receivers, how often a QB is under pressure, weather, scheme, opposing coverage, etc... For it to be a trait it has to be something that can't fluctuate.

Passion to win is a blanket statement for immaturity. No one called Manziel "fiery" and "passionate" when he flipped off a bunch of fans in the NFL. If he can't handle not getting his hand shook in college, he isn't ready to lead grown men. Trash talk is fine but he should just let his play speak. Luck is as passionate as they come and you don't see him crotch grabbing.

And he does have off the field issues. He was arrested for public intoxication, disorderly conduct, and resisting and fleeing arrest. He reached a plead deal of course, but that's significant. There's a video of the whole ordeal too. The whole "college kids make mistakes" mantra doesn't just mean the incident gets swept under the rug

And his arm talent is average. Actually, Allen is the only QB in the class with elite arm talent. Darnold and Jackson have good but not great arms, and everyone else has average arms (although Rosen did let a couple rainbows fly at the combine).

If it's not a trait, why do analysts nail Allen for being inaccurate? It's 100% a trait.

Baker has done nothing of the sort to fans.

He's also walked on twice, and has let his play talk, ala blowing out Kansas after the disrespect before the game

Do those off the field "problems" fall into the:

Domestic abuse

Drugs

Partying

etc

No, it's not a problem.

He's got the arm for every throw in the NFL