Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN and Fox fighting to sign Peyton [Merge]

RockThatBlue

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

1 thing I never really adjusted to was TNF because [speaking only for me here] it's too much football too close together on Sunday, Monday, & now Thursday which seeps into your weekend. I just don't care for TNF unless INDY is playing. Besides, if the prime time game is good NFL Network will re-air it the following week anyway. 

Like an article said above, I'd like to know who Fox Network would pair Manning up with. That's huge. 

I just don't like ESPN period. Such an over bloated network to me who has always hated INDY, which would force 18 to defend the Colts organization 24/7. It sounds cool initially yes, but eventually, it might make fans wish Manning would just talk about the 2 teams on the field exclusively & nothing else. 

I love ESPN every network crew has their biases and rarely is Indy a favorite 

29 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now now SW, your hatred for the Cowboys is bleeding over to Romo.  IMO he is a better announcer than quite a few others. I dislike the Cowboys too but Romo was just an employee. :D

haha Yes, I do hate the Cowboys with the heat of a thousand suns & by association; any former player of that pathetic franchise that last won a SB in 1995. Ooh, did you hear that the HOfer Charles Haley called the current crop of players on their rosters "losers?" Harsh perhaps, but funny & accurate IMO. More an indictment on their lack of playoff success than their personal character. 

Loved it! But, to answer your question CC1, I'm still mad at CBS executives for replacing Phil Simms with Romo. I get very attached to booth guys I like & in my opinion, Tony doesn't have it. Nowhere near as good as Phil is. Okay sure Simms won a SB for the NY Giants which plays into my bias too. I'll own that & yes, Tony didn't get Phil reassigned at CBS technically CC1. I just want Phil back in the booth man. I miss him in that role. He was so good at it. 

I'll believe it when it happens but I don't see it happening there are so many rumors surrounding what he'll do next and nothing has panned out besides commercials.

And I think that's what he's doing for the time being make commercials, go to Eli's games and raise his family.

Sounds like a great life to me.

Granted when they're older I see him wanting to own a team.

Manning is not going to risk the possibility of being fired at this point in his life.

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

haha Yes, I do hate the Cowboys with the heat of a thousand suns & by association; any former player of that pathetic franchise that last won a SB in 1995. Ooh, did you hear the HOfer Charles Haley called the current crop of players on their rosters "losers?" Harsh perhaps, but funny & accurate IMO. More an indictment on their lack of playoff success than their personal character. 

Loved it! But, to answer your question CC1, I'm still mad at CBS executives for replacing Phil Simms with Romo. I get very attached to booth guys I like & in my opinion, Tony doesn't have it. Nowhere near as good as Phil is. Okay sure Simms won a SB for the NY Giants which plays into my bias too. I'll own that & yes, Tony didn't get Phil reassigned at CBS technically CC1. I just want Phil back in the booth man. I miss him in that role. He was so good at it. 

Call it the coach in me but I often tune out or down the announce crew

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

haha Yes, I do hate the Cowboys with the heat of a thousand suns & by association; any former player of that pathetic franchise that last won a SB in 1995. Ooh, did you hear the HOfer Charles Haley called the current crop of players on their rosters "losers?" Harsh perhaps, but funny & accurate IMO. More an indictment on their lack of playoff success than their personal character. 

Just pulling your leg SW, Hell, I don't care who is calling the games. I don't listen to none of the announcers anyway. I normally watch the games with no sound while I listen to some classic rock. :hat:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Call it the coach in me but I often tune out or down the announce crew

I just liked what Charles said because with 5 SB rings under his belt he's got the cache to say Dallas is overrated which they are. Basically, stop listening to how great Jerry Jones tells you that you are players, stop resting on previous glory that this roster wasn't around for, & prove to the world that the Cowboys are relevant again by getting to the NFC Championship in the 21st Century. 

I do like Dak Prescott a lot & think that kid is special. As much as it kills me to say that, it's true. I'll pardon him from criticism, but nobody else on this roster. 

I appreciate your coaching background too PT. I just have zero sympathy for the Cowboys & admired the dose of tough love he gave that franchise recently. Dallas always acts like they're a relevant organization & that's just not the case IMO. Wishful thinking perhaps, but their record since 1995 speaks for itself, which is what Haley was driving at. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just pulling your leg SW, Hell, I don't care who is calling the games. I don't listen to none of the announcers anyway. I normally watch the games with no sound while I listen to some classic rock. :hat:

I knew ya were buddy. It's all good. I like it when a regular calls me on my pet peeves or teams where my objectivity goes out the widow. LOL! 

Sound off & classic rock. Good combo there. I should try that once. 

Yeah, I  probably massacre Tony's play by play ability more than I should.

If I wanted to be really mean, I'd suggest pairing Romo up with an enthusiastic soccer announcer that hasn't mastered all the intricacies of American football yet. There's always the downside though that this crazy duo would be an overnight sensation making CBS ratings go through the roof. On 2nd thought, maybe not. 

18 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I would love to see 18 on CBS for the Colts games I think it would be awesome ESPN sucks as does FOX .IMO 

Exactly Adonis. Peyton on CBS would be the best fit. You know, Manning & Marino his idol in the booth would be next level QB greatness. I'd live for that on TV every week brother. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't listen to none of the announcers anyway.

Even on say questionable pass interference calls or eyebrow raising roughing the passer flags? 

Cris Collinsworth is a riot whenever NBC covers the Pats & Brady on SNF. His unhealthy addiction to Brady I mean. 

Dan Fouts & Ian Eagle AKA 'the Beard & the Bird' are funny when they get going too, especially when they pan the stadium audience present or personal anecdotes about players all in harmless fun. Dan is priceless! 

50 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I would love to see 18 on CBS for the Colts games I think it would be awesome ESPN sucks as does FOX .IMO 

This is largely why I don't see this happening I find it hard to believe Romo was the first choice for CBS to replace Phil Simms. I bet it was Manning and he said no.

If he turned that down why would he go for a job that's lower level in comparison? I don't think he would.

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I understand that many here don't like ESPN and Fox for their news and opinions shows....

But do you also dislike them for their game broadcasts?      Really?

May I ask why?      What do they do that you don't like on game broadcasts?

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand that many here don't like ESPN and Fox for their news and opinions shows....

I like both but prefer the ESPN(SEC,Longhorn, and ACC) over Fox(BTN and RSN) Game Broadcast   

What exactly, if anything, has Manning said about pursuing a TV analyst career? Anything? 

We can all speculate as fans of his. I just find it bizarre to hear about bidding wars for Manning without hearing anything directly from his mouth personally. I know that's what agents are for, but still. 

It directly impacts Peyton's future. He should have some feedback to offer right? 

Besides, chilling with the kids at home sounds great for awhile until the wife says honey, you really need to get out of the house now. It's why Coughlin is in the Jacksonville front office right now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I just see no chance that Peyton will ever take a TV job criticizing other NFL players

Just not his nature.

If the money's right, even the most polished field general can engage in constructive as opposed to malicious criticism of any player OUM. 

Besides, fans wanna see how quickly Peyton would dissect elite defenses over the air. And put you in the head of elite quarterbacks. I'd love to hear how Peyton viewed throwing interceptions & how he gained confidence on the next drive. That stuff fascinates me. How you respond when the wheels fall off & then methodically erect a comeback for the ages like what he was thinking in that Tampa Bay Bucs comeback & how the current QB needs to settle down & re-establish their will on the defense the rest of the game. 

Manning would soon grow to be hated by fellow broadcasters because of his preparation before going in to the booth. He would spend hours analyzing everything and his partner would fall asleep during the games every week. But to be serious I don't want to see him go in to broadcasting. He should go in to college coaching a much more honorable trade.

45 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Manning would soon grow to be hated by fellow broadcasters because of his preparation before going in to the booth. He would spend hours analyzing everything and his partner would fall asleep during the games every week. But to be serious I don't want to see him go in to broadcasting. He should go in to college coaching a much more honorable trade.

Your post is an interesting one KC. It makes me wonder how different TV personalities get ready for 16 weeks to do games. There is an art form to working with your partner & knowing when to talk, when to be silent, & when to let your sidekick shine. Voice inflections take time to perfect too in order to heighten the excitement of fans listening & watching the game. I know a couple of radio personalities who spin records for a living & they have clued me in too how hard it is to literally find your voice on the air, pacing, & even storytelling on the air about concerts, artists, & comical stories from their youth & whether or not a group has improved with age or not. 

To your point KC, preparation means different things to different people & no one wants to feel upstaged or frequently interrupted by their colleague so yes, it's a delicate dance on the air to figure out what your partner likes & if you accommodate them, they will make you look good too because it's ultimately about creating an outstanding picture for the fan who can't be there. Peyton wouldn't upstage anybody in the booth. Not in his DNA. I will admit though that the hardest part of any duo is remembering it's all about the game before them not endless wacky stories about players you knew from previous seasons in the NFL. Don't become an amateur comedian just tell me what you see & how to neutralize it. Don't became the waka waka Dennis Miller guy on TV like he was on MNF as a color commentator. 

I joke around constantly yes, but the difference is this: Nobody at Fox, CBS, or ESPN is paying me to breakdown football games for a living. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The thing Everyone is not bringing up is how he would do on live TV

20 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I'm sure he would do great.   Look at all the ex players that are doing it.   The question is,   does he want to do it?

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

Yes,   being a broadcaster is such a dishonorable career. 

wth are you talking about??

17 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Good point. Usually, if you can process information quickly, you can articulate it in short order. 

Then again, sometimes wicked smart people don't always respond well to quick little soundbites either that the media thrives on. Detailed folks can't always condense elaborate thoughts into short sentences day after day. 

I'm longwinded a lot & sometimes my family & friends are like enough SW1 yes or no just give me a quick answer please. haha

Knowing Peyton though. He'd turn a brief struggle into a strength by the 2nd half just like when he was an elite QB in INDY & Denver. I can't fathom 18 failing at anything personally. Plus, we'd all give Manning plenty of time to excel anyway. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

My thoughts exactly!

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Good point. Usually, if you can process information quickly, you can articulate it in short order. 

Then again, sometimes wicked smart people don't always respond well to quick little soundbites either that the media thrives on. Detailed folks can't always condense elaborate thoughts into short sentences day after day. 

I'm longwinded a lot & sometimes my family & friends are like enough SW1 yes or no just give me a quick answer please. haha

Knowing Peyton though. He'd turn a brief struggle into a strength by the 2nd half just like when he was an elite QB in INDY & Denver. I can't fathom 18 failing at anything personally. Plus, we'd all give Manning plenty of time to excel anyway. 

We might but TV execs won’t   

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

We might but TV execs won’t   

I will admit that figuring out how to talk for 3 hours during a game isn't easy. I remember Jeff Saturday talking about this once before he went on ESPN full time after his NFL career was over. There was also a boot camp segment at ESPN on learning how to write copy, read a teleprompter smoothly, verify sources, & process what happens around you with colleagues lightning fast. 

Like I said before with the professional radio personalities I know, speaking in a rhythm & coming across as natural takes time. It just does. 

Given Peyton's popularity on TV with ESPY hosting, SNL skits, MasterCard advice ads, & Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket promos, executives will give Manning a long leash to excel PT particularly a 1st ballot Hall Of Fame QB. 

Anything can happen of course, but 18 will generate consistently high ratings. Producers know fans will tune in just to go what did Peyton say this week on MNF? 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

I will admit that figuring out how to talk for 3 hours during a game isn't easy. I remember Jeff Saturday talking about this once before he went on ESPN full time after his NFL career was over. There was also a boot camp segment at ESPN on learning how to write copy, read a teleprompter smoothly, verify sources, & process what happens around you with colleagues lightning fast. 

Like I said before with the professional radio personalities I know, speaking in a rhythm & coming across as natural takes time. It just does. 

Given Peyton's popularity on TV with ESPY hosting, SNL skits, MasterCard advice ads, & Direct TV NFL Sunday Ticket promos, executives will give Manning a long leash to excel PT particularly a 1st ballot Hall Of Fame QB. 

Anything can happen of course, but 18 will generate consistently high ratings. Producers know fans will tune in just to go what did Peyton say this week on MNF? 

Not if he is bad

Not everyone likes his many “characters” and most execs do not care about his playing career but just how many TVs are turned on because of him 

CC had a HOF career and still the majority of fans hate him

15 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not if he is bad

Not everyone likes his many “characters” and most execs do not care about his playing career but just how many TVs are turned on because of him 

CC had a HOF career and still the majority of fans hate him

I will grant you that point PT. Case in point: LaDainian Tomlinson. I respect his HOF career as a Chargers RB, but man he struggles to talk on the air at NFL Network. I feel sorry for him because he's a darn nice guy. He just has difficulty speaking on TV with any kind of flow to his speech at all. He's not dumb. He just doesn't sound professional when the camera is on at all. 

If Peyton gives new insights to how a QB thinks about what a safety is thinking in a certain formation & how to look a DB off giving a WR or TE an extra few seconds to get open on a route, fans will definitely eat that up & want more. 

True, some fans hate players no matter what they do. I'm not fond of Deion Sanders but he was 1 hades of a corner in San Fran & Dallas when he was younger. I gotta give him props for his shutdown ability back in the day. Do I listen to him regularly now? Not really. So yeah, I get where you're going there PT. 

Being a HOFer & dissecting game film in a suit is a whole different animal I agree. I will concede you could be right about 18 in a broadcast booth. I can't prove otherwise at this moment. Call it blind faith then, I just think Peyton would flourish doing play by play live call it intuition. Just like a can hear a new song from a band & go that group is gonna be around for 3 decades easy. When I know; I know. I can't explain it. Peyton would be a smash on TV. 

Sometimes, hatred can work in a celebrity's favor too. Just like shock jock Howard Stern. Both his followers & his detractors listen religiously to every word he says without fail & Howard's ratings are always high with no erratic drop-off. 

Jules's post makes me wonder if Peyton still wants to own an NFL team one day. 

I know he's competitive & would prefer to keep 1 foot in football. It boils down to this: Is talking about NFL for 10-14 yrs gonna generate enough money to allow Peyton to have substantial ownership shares with another boss/investor or not? 

Say he bought into a lousy franchise like the Browns or even the Broncos with no franchise QB right now. Could he handle owning a team with a losing record when he's so used to dominating as a player? 

I'm not slamming Manning here. I just mean that winners hate being affiliated with underperforming assets. Micheal Jordan went through the exact same thing himself. HOF Bull followed by ownership woes or a lack of winning at a level #23 had grown accustom to. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, southwest1 said:

If the money's right, even the most polished field general can engage in constructive as opposed to malicious criticism of any player OUM. 

Besides, fans wanna see how quickly Peyton would dissect elite defenses over the air. And put you in the head of elite quarterbacks. I'd love to hear how Peyton viewed throwing interceptions & how he gained confidence on the next drive. That stuff fascinates me. How you respond when the wheels fall off & then methodically erect a comeback for the ages like what he was thinking in that Tampa Bay Bucs comeback & how the current QB needs to settle down & re-establish their will on the defense the rest of the game. 

I would love to hear Peyton analyze a game but he wont do it on TV. He has far more money than TV networks could think about paying him. Dollars wont get him to criticize other NFL QBs, a group that includes his brother.

I dont think there's any chance that Peyton will be in the booth on Monday or Thursday.  'Constructive criticism' isnt always seem as such. Players and coaches take offense.

Can you really see Peyton pointing out the mistakes of Eli on national TV?. No chance.

I believe he wants to be in management like John Elway.

But I'm just guessing.

I dont know because I have never heard him say anything publically about his future plans..

• Like 2

14 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I actually think the exact opposite SDS. ESPN is dead & clownville while Fox is the future with Joe Buck, Colin Cowherd, Mark Schlereth, & Shannon Sharpe. ESPN is a complete joke. 

I'd rather see Manning as a play by play guy on Fox taking over John Lynch's old booth job with a partner. Forget ESPN that company is on life support & nobody subscribes to that lousy TV Network anymore. I sure don't. 

Either that or go to CBS & pair Manning up with Phil Simms who got railroaded by Tony Romo whom I hate & think is so overrated that it's not even funny. 

Do you dislike Romo as an analyst because he was with the Cowboys? I know how much you hate the Cowboys, so wondering if that's part of it. I'm asking because almost everyone I know likes hearing Romo.; you're one of the few who doesn't.

Anyway, Manning can take over for Collinsworth any day. Collinsworth never bothered me at first, but this season he started to get on my nerves. I don't watch ESPN except for MNF.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I would love to hear Peyton analyze a game but he wont do it on TV. He has far more money than TV networks could think about paying him. Dollars wont get him to criticize other NFL QBs, a group that includes his brother.

I dont think there's any chance that Peyton will be in the booth on Monday or Thursday.  'Constructive criticism' isnt always seem as such. Players and coaches take offense.

Can you really see Peyton pointing out the mistakes of Eli on national TV?. No chance.

I believe he wants to be in management like John Elway.

But I'm just guessing.

I dont know because I have never heard him say anything publically about his future plans..

Well he could always do what Gruden did. Gruden praised every player he ever seen. It got him by for quite a while.

I also think Peyton would have been smarter that Elway. He wouldn't turn down the opportunity to be a part owner like Elway did with Bowlen.

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Yes,   being a broadcaster is such a dishonorable career. 

wth are you talking about??

You seldom if ever read before you react/post and so I ask what does  "to be serious" in my post mean in relation to the two sentences prior??!!. Get a grip.

9 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I will grant you that point PT. Case in point: LaDainian Tomlinson. I respect his HOF career as a Chargers RB, but man he struggles to talk on the air at NFL Network. I feel sorry for him because he's a darn nice guy. He just has difficulty speaking on TV with any kind of flow to his speech at all. He's not dumb. He just doesn't sound professional when the camera is on at all. 

If Peyton gives new insights to how a QB thinks about what a safety is thinking in a certain formation & how to look a DB off giving a WR or TE an extra few seconds to get open on a route, fans will definitely eat that up & want more. 

True, some fans hate players no matter what they do. I'm not fond of Deion Sanders but he was 1 hades of a corner in San Fran & Dallas when he was younger. I gotta give him props for his shutdown ability back in the day. Do I listen to him regularly now? Not really. So yeah, I get where you're going there PT. 

Being a HOFer & dissecting game film in a suit is a whole different animal I agree. I will concede you could be right about 18 in a broadcast booth. I can't prove otherwise at this moment. Call it blind faith then, I just think Peyton would flourish doing play by play live call it intuition. Just like a can hear a new song from a band & go that group is gonna be around for 3 decades easy. When I know; I know. I can't explain it. Peyton would be a smash on TV. 

Sometimes, hatred can work in a celebrity's favor too. Just like shock jock Howard Stern. Both his followers & his detractors listen religiously to every word he says without fail & Howard's ratings are always high with no erratic drop-off. 

As far as Deion Sanders Is concerned I think the only thing he was good at was his fishing show on TV. Other than that IMO he come off arrogant. Now I did enjoy him having different guest go out on a lake and do some fishing while talking about all kinds of football stuff.

But like all the network channels, I can't watch them more than a few minute then I out of there.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well he could always do what Gruden did. Gruden praised every player he ever seen. It got him by for quite a while.

I also think Peyton would have been smarter that Elway. He wouldn't turn down the opportunity to be a part owner like Elway did with Bowlen.

I think you're right..Peyton probably does want own a own team.

GM or part owner....is  a role I see for him.

The thing about broadcasting is: You dont compete. Pays well. Fun. But you don't win or lose.

I think Peyton (like Elway) enjoys the 'win or lose' thing.

Again though, its been 2 years now and I've never seen quotes from him saying where he's going professionally..

Lots of speculation from other people but if he has said what he'd like to do for a living now (other than make commercials) I have missed it.  I have no real idea what he wants to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I remember him walking into the booth during a game a couple of years ago when he was being honored...

.......and he fell right into the analyst role.

It was only a few minutes but he seemed quite good at analyzing what he was seeing../.

....and this guy has hosted Saturday Night Live and done a stand up comedy routine at the ESPN awards.

I'd guess he'd be Okay on live TV discussing football.

I just wonder whether he would want to.

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

I remember him walking into the booth during a game a couple of years ago when he was being honored...

.......and he fell right into the analyst role.

It was only a few minutes but he seemed quite good at analyzing what he was seeing../.

....and this guy has hosted Saturday Night Live and done a stand up comedy routine at the ESPN awards.

I'd guess he'd be Okay on live TV discussing football.

I just wonder whether he would want to.

Little segments and or rehearsed skits can be different than carrying a broadcast for a complete game

This reminds of people saying Michael Jordan would/should be a great a baseball based on his basketball greatness