Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Recent History Shows the Last Hire of the Coaching Carousel Is Sometimes the Best Hire

NannyMcafee

Campbell seems the safest pick since he has HC experience. He is a hot head, the polar opposite of Pagano which may be good or not. To be honest I didnt care for any of the coaches to be here that were hired recently. McDuffus seemed to be the hot pick but he showed his character to the whole world. That said we dodged a bullet. 

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Campbell seems the safest pick since he has HC experience. He is a hot head, the polar opposite of Pagano which may be good or not. To be honest I didnt care for any of the coaches to be here that were hired recently. McDuffus seemed to be the hot pick but he showed his character to the whole world. That said we dodged a bullet. 

Gosh, the stereotyping here on this forum is unreal.

Frank Reich is a rah rah coach, he will be like blinkie Caldwell with just a headset on. 

Dan Campbell is a metallica guy and fiery screamer, so he is a hot head. 

Carry on. I can't wait for Ballard to make his HC decision soon enough. 

10 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Frank Reich is a rah rah coach, he will be like blinkie Caldwell with just a headset on. 

Sometime next week. That's a long time in Colts-Forum land... lol

The only way to please everyone in a fan base is to win the big one. 

I will say this. Sometimes history repeats itself and a pattern emerges. Sometimes it looks like a pattern is forming, but in reality it all means nothing. Sometimes there are no patterns at all. History is finicky. Humankind is finicky. Right now there is as much chance for an implosion as there is to making the playoffs. It's impossible to tell until the cleats hit the field on gamedays. 

Buckle up. It's going to be an interesting ride this year.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I just want someone who can lead a team, formulate a good game plan, make adjustments during game and at half time and get the team fired up and willing to run through a brick wall for him. I don't care what his name is.

Yep, that is what I want too. As long as an objective evaluation is done, I will be happy and support.

Well, every head coach in the history of the NFL had to get their first head coaching job without prior head coaching experience.

Some worked out, others didn't...only one way to find out if a first time head coach will be successful or fail, is to hire one, and let them prove you right or wrong.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Stereotyping?... Hmmm. Since when is describing someone's demeanor stereotyping?

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

LOL...

Ha, no kidding, give me a Metallica head coach anyday, no more of these Paul Simon listening HC's...

LOL... For the record I much prefer Paul Simon to Metallica... 

18 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I think it has more to do with the tendancy of using one specific attribute to define/judge the whole person...

Brother I know what it means but without writing a book about each coaching possibility list attributes. I'm not reticent to talk about these guys in detail there's certain things about them that I like and certain things I don't.

28 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

Brother I know what it means but without writing a book about each coaching possibility list attributes. I'm not reticent to talk about these guys in detail there's certain things about them that I like and certain things I don't.

That's all fine, & nothing against anyone who prefers a specific personal attribute over another...

I just find it comical, the way that several of these coaching prospects are being described, as the descriptions are largely subjective. Statements like he is a "fiery coach" he is a "leader of men", he is a "player's coach", etc., may give a brief outlook on a prospects demeanour or philosophy, but ultimately don't say much & in @chad72 's initial response he did illustrate the tendency of some fans to relate these somewhat generic descriptions with other coaches due to a generalization...

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

I just want someone who can lead a team, formulate a good game plan, make adjustments during game and at half time and get the team fired up and willing to run through a brick wall for him. I don't care what his name is.

For what I hear Campbell is not the guy for X's & O's, gameplans, and adjustments.

11 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

That's all fine, & nothing against anyone who prefers a specific personal attribute over another...

I just find it comical, the way that several of these coaching prospects are being described, as the descriptions are largely subjective. Statements like he is a "fiery coach" he is a "leader of men", he is a "player's coach", etc., may give a brief outlook on a prospects demeanour or philosophy, but ultimately don't say much & in @chad72 's initial response he did illustrate the tendency of some fans to relate these somewhat generic descriptions with other coaches due to a generalization...

I guess next time I describe anybody I'll be as demonstrative as possible. I don't know why we can't describe somebody by a trait. We're not diminishing them down to a single word or a phrase. Either a guy's a player's coach or isn't. Either a guy is fiery or he isn't. Sorry I wasn't more detailed than what I said.

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I guess next time I describe anybody I'll be as demonstrative as possible. I don't know why we can't describe somebody by a trait. We're not diminishing them down to a single word or a phrase. Either a guy's a player's coach or isn't. Either a guy is fiery or he isn't. Sorry I wasn't more detailed than what I said.

Yeah, not speaking for anyone else but my contributions to this thread have all been meant with only joking/comical intent...

I also agree with much of your initial post, well Reich would be my choice over Campbell, but I don't think any of the other potential candiates that the Colts, lost out on, were any better or will have any more success than what Reich, Campbell, or even Frazier are capable of...

11 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I just got tired of people generalizing saying Campbell is a hot head because of the fiery nature. A hot head was never mentioned anywhere in the articles about him, and is an extreme generalization/extrapolation of fiery, IMO, and has a negative connotation if you ask me. If you are talking about Jim Schwartz based on his Lions' HC incident with Harbaugh, you can be probably justified calling him a hot head but I never read that about Campbell anywhere, hence my objection to the "hot head" term. 

Same way with Frank Reich. I got tired of people just trying to pick him apart despite his qualified resume making assumptions he won't take more charge although in his own way and hold others accountable. 

My response to yours was a culmination of my frustration with all the generalization going on here. It wasn't personal, I can assure you.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

I just got tired of people generalizing saying Campbell is a hot head because of the fiery nature. A hot head was never mentioned anywhere in the articles about him, and is an extreme generalization/extrapolation of fiery, IMO, and has a negative connotation if you ask me. If you are talking about Jim Schwartz based on his Lions' HC incident with Harbaugh, you can be probably justified calling him a hot head but I never read that about Campbell anywhere, hence my objection to the "hot head" term. 

Same way with Frank Reich. I got tired of people just trying to pick him apart despite his qualified resume making assumptions he won't take more charge although in his own way and hold others accountable. 

My response to yours was a culmination of my frustration with all the generalization going on here. It wasn't personal, I can assure you.

Glad to help lol. Let's it off to anger management classes together :)

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Exactly! that's all I want to is a smart coach who will make the right decision at right time. Who will also make smart adjustments when needed and will have the team very prepared and ready to play. I'm not sure Campbell is that guy or not but time will tell. 

5 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Yeah, not speaking for anyone else but my contributions to this thread have all been meant with only joking/comical intent...

I also agree with much of your initial post, well Reich would be my choice over Campbell, but I don't think any of the other potential candiates that the Colts, lost out on, were any better or will have any more success than what Reich, Campbell, or even Frazier are capable of...

That's probably the most truthful statement of all I've heard on here.