Top 3 pick

Do you trade the top 3 pick?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trade the top 3 pick

• No draft BPA
    • No draft LT from Texas
    • Yes presuming there's a suitor
    • No draft fill in the blank

For me it would take multiple first rounders to want to trade back. I don't think any LT in this upcoming draft is a top 5 talent so it might be a reach to take McGlinchey or Williams. Arden Key is thought of as a can't miss pass rusher, I haven't seen it based on this play this year though. I always lean best defensive player available, but if you can get a kings ransom in a trade back, OL may be the way to go.

There is no great option that I think will maximize the value for the Colts of a top 3 pick. The players at the very top in projected mocks are Saquon Barkley and QBs. Even though I would be OK with picking Barkley, I'm generally against taking RBs in the first. I don't believe the pass rushers of this draft are the traditional top 3 level prospects and same goes for most O-line prospects. Nelson who is a guard is probably a top 5 player in the draft but the positional value is not there for him to be picked top 3. Overall I think if we can drop to 8-10 and collect an additional first + other picks from a QB hungry team, that would be ideal. This way we can select one of the pass-rushers or OTs in a more reasonable range for their talent and get additional assets in the process. 

24 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

For me it would take multiple first rounders to want to trade back. I don't think any LT in this upcoming draft is a top 5 talent so it might be a reach to take McGlinchey or Williams. Arden Key is thought of as a can't miss pass rusher, I haven't seen it based on this play this year though. I always lean best defensive player available, but if you can get a kings ransom in a trade back, OL may be the way to go.

Key comes with a boat load of off the field issues....   plus he's been injured a fair amount of the year.

He had a great 2016,  but he's going to have finish strong in 17 to hold his high ranking.

He's very talented,  but he's got a large number of Red Flag warnings that come with him....

24 minutes ago, stitches said:

There is no great option that I think will maximize the value for the Colts of a top 3 pick. The players at the very top in projected mocks are Saquon Barkley and QBs. Even though I would be OK with picking Barkley, I'm generally against taking RBs in the first. I don't believe the pass rushers of this draft are the traditional top 3 level prospects and same goes for most O-line prospects. Nelson who is a guard is probably a top 5 player in the draft but the positional value is not there for him to be picked top 3. Overall I think if we can drop to 8-10 and collect an additional first + other picks from a QB hungry team, that would be ideal. This way we can select one of the pass-rushers or OTs in a more reasonable range for their talent and get additional assets in the process. 

Totally agree..... Barkley is a stud though that is for sure, just don't think his skill set is going to fix as many problems as maybe another position would.... such as a good linebacker or lineman.  If there is such a thing come April.  We need impact game changing players and not that Barkley isn't, but just not in the areas we need to improve the most in the shortest amount of time.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

No LT is a top 5 talent possibly but Quenton Nelson is a top 5 player at OG. Sounds crazy to take a guard that high but the Redskins took Scherff at 5.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No LT is a top 5 talent possibly but Quenton Nelson is a top 5 player at OG. Sounds crazy to take a guard that high but the Redskins took Scherff at 5.

I dont know about top 5 but he's really good. If we had 2 first rounders id say target Nelson and a pass rusher, but we'll likely have to settle for one or the other unless we get a 2nd first rounder in a trade or trade up in the backend of the 1st.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Refdkins drafted Scherff to be a tackle.    Playing guard was the fallback.

And I haven't seen anyone yet call Nelson a Top-5 player.    I think Kiper has him at 11 and that is high.

The Colts can sign a guard or two in FA, but there likely won't be a tackle that we want to sign.    A tackle is going to have to come from the draft and that likely means the first round.

Fill in the blank vote: an offensive lineman. Not sure who that is yet, but it's time to stop worrying about anything else but Luck. He will win us games if he is upright throughout the contest. We would also be able to run the ball more efficiently with a better. I don't think Ballard goes elsewhere than the trenches for the first few rounds unless a better BPA is there. I personally need to wait to start deciding who is good and who is likely being drafted where, but we desperately need Luck to be healthy. A few Super Bowls depend on it. 

Edit: I trade back if I'm Ballard if I either:

1) stay top 10 in the draft

2) get 2018 and 2019 first rounder, 2018 2nd and 2018 3rd (this would be a jump far back into the first, around the 20s (pretty sure value is there)

3) like how the board is falling and feel that I could still get the player I want in another spot

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The Refdkins drafted Scherff to be a tackle.    Playing guard was the fallback.

And I haven't seen anyone yet call Nelson a Top-5 player.    I think Kiper has him at 11 and that is high.

The Colts can sign a guard or two in FA, but there likely won't be a tackle that we want to sign.    A tackle is going to have to come from the draft and that likely means the first round.

I think you can get a good tackle rounds 2-3. Trey Adams might be there and the kid from Western Michigan. You won’t find a guard as good as Nelson later or next year. I think if you ranked the top players regardless of position for 2018, Nelson would have to be up there. There are very little holes in his game and nothing that isn’t easily correctable. I know the value for taking a guard that high isn’t there but this isn’t a great draft for a top 5 pick unless you need a QB. If we can’t trade down and get him, he wouldn’t be a terrible pick at #4.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I think you can get a good tackle rounds 2-3. Trey Adams might be there and the kid from Western Michigan. You won’t find a guard as good as Nelson later or next year. I think if you ranked the top players regardless of position for 2018, Nelson would have to be up there. There are very little holes in his game and nothing that isn’t easily correctable. I know the value for taking a guard that high isn’t there but this isn’t a great draft for a top 5 pick unless you need a QB. If we can’t trade down and get him, he wouldn’t be a terrible pick at #4.

Nelson also spent one whole year at LT.  His sophomore year, and he was not bad at all.  He has versatility that is needed in today's NFL.  McGlinchey played RT that year and this year has shown he is a solid LT.  Both have a lot of upside and will be drafted high.

I think it's far far too early for this question.  A lot can happen, not only in College football but the NFL as well.  some of these "studs" may get hurt or start underperforming etc.

That said, I think a trade back is an option, i just dont want to trade any farther back than 10th.

Perhaps several free agent offensive lineman, a guard, and two tackles can be had in free agency...the Giants have two possibilities! And then we can wheel and deal that early pick without reaching. I like the ND players but much later than the first three picks...

In general, I don't like taking a RB that high (presuming top 5).  I haven't since about 1995 when the NFL sort of transitioned to more pass-oriented.  I think this team would benefit much more from trading down and acquiring picks and building the lines first (as a true rebuild SHOULD do).  However, I DO like Barkley and think he will become a very good NFL player.  If the Colts stood pat and took him I couldn't be mad.  But I think they could trade back to the middle of the first and get quality OL or DL and still get quality at RB later.  Jordan Howard was a 5th rounder last year. And 2018 is shaping up to be a DEEP draft at RB.  I think trading down would help them more in the long run.  But I also couldn't be mad if they got a guy that many analysts think will be better than Elliott and can pass-block (without the knuckle-headedness).

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Barkley may be the next Barry Sanders

That's the first time I've seen that comparison.

Physically they are nothing alike.

Barkley is 5'11" and 220ish.

Sanders was 5'8" and about 205.

Not even sure their running style is similar...    

We will learn mor going forward..

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's the first time I've seen that comparison.

Physically they are nothing alike.

Barkley is 5'11" and 220ish.

Sanders was 5'8" and about 205.

Not even sure their running style is similar...    

We will learn mor going forward..

I made that comparison because I think he's that great talent wise and it's his speed to the outside, once he gets to the outside he's gone normally.

20 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Nelson also spent one whole year at LT.  His sophomore year, and he was not bad at all.  He has versatility that is needed in today's NFL.  McGlinchey played RT that year and this year has shown he is a solid LT.  Both have a lot of upside and will be drafted high.

Who would you take at 4 though? Assume Barkley is gone. You can take either McGlinchey or Nelson. Who’s the pick for the Colts?

23 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Who would you take at 4 though? Assume Barkley is gone. You can take either McGlinchey or Nelson. Who’s the pick for the Colts?

That is hard to answer. We trade back to get picks or take the LT to put the value on the pick. Way too early to say though. 

I am hoping we sign an experienced OL starter in FA.  If we are able to trade our top 3 or 5 pick I would like to bring in an experienced OL starter as part of the trade along with the extra picks.  That way we have addressed our OL with a couple of veterans and we have more flexibility with our new No. 1 pick.