Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I don't think it's cut and dried.  You read what a couple former D linemen said about Garrett.  Most of his sacks come against lesser competition.  

Warren sapp? lmao 

You draft for potential and skillset/special traits, not their college stats. 

Garret is going #1. I'm sure the brownies will try to trade up and take Mitch T also. 

30 minutes ago, Qwiz said:

I think it's a given that it will be Garrett unless someone else trades up. I don't think the Browns have seriously considered taking a QB first overall this year. 

They want to keep 1, but reportedly want to trade up for Trubisky.  If they move up to 2, then the people who made the Vegas bets on the sure thing Garrett may be hosed.  He could be their second pick.  

5 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don't think it's cut and dried.  You read what a couple former D linemen said about Garrett.  Most of his sacks come against lesser competition.  

For whatever it's worth,  Sapp's negative view of Garrett was relayed to Polian and Mark Dominick.

Both said they didn't think Sapp knows what he's talking about and couldn't disagree more.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth,  Sapp's negative view of Garrett was relayed to Polian and Mark Dominick.

Both said they didn't think Sapp knows what he's talking about and couldn't disagree more.

It's been reported that the coaches all want Garrett but the front office wants Trubisky - face of the franchise, and all that.

The Browns know they have to move ahead of the Jets.  But the 49ers and Bears are also looking for a QB, so they may move to #2.  Everyone agrees that none of the guys are worth that high of a pick, but you know how crazy teams get when it gets down to crunch time.

In that scenario, Garrett may end up being the 2nd pick in the draft.  Stranger things have happened!

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

It's been reported that the coaches all want Garrett but the front office wants Trubisky - face of the franchise, and all that.

The Browns know they have to move ahead of the Jets.  But the 49ers and Bears are also looking for a QB, so they may move to #2.  Everyone agrees that none of the guys are worth that high of a pick, but you know how crazy teams get when it gets down to crunch time.

In that scenario, Garrett may end up being the 2nd pick in the draft.  Stranger things have happened!

They can get both.     They have the resources (picks) to get both.      It doesn't have to be one or the other.

If they go with Trubusky 1st,  they lose Garrett.      But if they go Garrett first,  they should be able to get Trubisky later...

14 hours ago, Smonroe said:

They want to keep 1, but reportedly want to trade up for Trubisky.  If they move up to 2, then the people who made the Vegas bets on the sure thing Garrett may be hosed.  He could be their second pick.  

That'd be bizarre and unnecessary but also funny. Wouldn't put it past Cleveland lol. 

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

They can get both.     They have the resources (picks) to get both.      It doesn't have to be one or the other.

If they go with Trubusky 1st,  they lose Garrett.      But if they go Garrett first,  they should be able to get Trubisky later...

You're last sentence is likely.  However, they do have to be wary of SF, so it's possible to deal for their pick. 

As others have said, if anyone can find a way to screw things up, it's the Browns.  Amongst all of the bad moves they made in the last 20 years, the TRich ranks up there.  They make a bad pick, taking him 3rd overall.  Make a good move fleecing the Colts, then blow that pick on Johnny Noball.

57 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Or... Get Garrett, possibly lose Trubisky ( who needs to sit and learn anyway) and get even better elsewhere, simplify the offense for Osweiler and his strengths (there's enough tape to know where he does well, and what he can't handle) , and target getting a much better QB i the 2018 draft.  2018 QB selection is much deeper and much better.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

You're last sentence is likely.  However, they do have to be wary of SF, so it's possible to deal for their pick. 

As others have said, if anyone can find a way to screw things up, it's the Browns.  Amongst all of the bad moves they made in the last 20 years, the TRich ranks up there.  They make a bad pick, taking him 3rd overall.  Make a good move fleecing the Colts, then blow that pick on Johnny Noball.

18 hours ago, Smonroe said:

That won't happen. It's virtually impossible. The 49ers can't trade the pick I don't think until they are on the clock. In which case if the Browns were stupid enough to take the qb first the 49ers would simply renege on their trade offer and take Garrett themselves or could use it to get a better trade. So Browns have to take Garrett first if they want to ensure Trubisky will be traded to them. I don't think even the Browns could screw that one up. I think the Browns are just looking to get up ahead of the Jets honestly....likely meaning a trade with the Titans who don't have a 2nd rd pick this year. The difference in trading up is 550 and the value of the first pick in rd 2 is 580 so that's pretty close swap. This would give Cleveland 1 and 5 (1 pick ahead of NY who is the first likely team to take a qb) so if nobody jumps ahead that's the right spot to be. Tennessee would have 12 and 18....both very much in range of top WRs/TEs in this draft and a top corner....however likely missing out on the top safeties...but that 2nd rd pick that they are missing this year would allow them to address that safety spot there or corner or wr so I think that trade works for both teams. Cleveland already has two seconds and also next year they have multiple picks early so they can get their qb and still build....all of this assuming they want a qb this year and aren't going to wait til next years deeper qb draft.

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That won't happen. It's virtually impossible. The 49ers can't trade the pick I don't think until they are on the clock. In which case if the Browns were stupid enough to take the qb first the 49ers would simply renege on their trade offer and take Garrett themselves or could use it to get a better trade. So Browns have to take Garrett first if they want to ensure Trubisky will be traded to them. I don't think even the Browns could screw that one up. I think the Browns are just looking to get up ahead of the Jets honestly....likely meaning a trade with the Titans who don't have a 2nd rd pick this year. The difference in trading up is 550 and the value of the first pick in rd 2 is 580 so that's pretty close swap. This would give Cleveland 1 and 5 (1 pick ahead of NY who is the first likely team to take a qb) so if nobody jumps ahead that's the right spot to be. Tennessee would have 12 and 18....both very much in range of top WRs/TEs in this draft and a top corner....however likely missing out on the top safeties...but that 2nd rd pick that they are missing this year would allow them to address that safety spot there or corner or wr so I think that trade works for both teams. Cleveland already has two seconds and also next year they have multiple picks early so they can get their qb and still build....all of this assuming they want a qb this year and aren't going to wait til next years deeper qb draft.

I don't understand why the 49ers couldn't trade the pick until they were on the clock.  Picks are traded all the time, sometimes years in advance.  The trade could easily be made prior to the draft.

Like I said, it's not likely, but it is possible - especially if it's true that Browns ownership wants Trubisky and they're afraid the 49ers could take him.  Like you said, they have a lot of picks to trade if they really want to make it happen.  And the 49ers have a ton of holes to fill.

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I don't understand why the 49ers couldn't trade the pick until they were on the clock.  Picks are traded all the time, sometimes years in advance.  The trade could easily be made prior to the draft.

Like I said, it's not likely, but it is possible - especially if it's true that Browns ownership wants Trubisky and they're afraid the 49ers could take him.  Like you said, they have a lot of picks to trade if they really want to make it happen.  And the 49ers have a ton of holes to fill.

Suppose your right about trading before their selection..but as a 9er exec I'm not trading it before the pick...and then I'd take him myself or see what other teams might move up for Garrett themselves...may get more than what Cleveland will give you. Imo you keep Garrett. SF has like 10 picks I think in the draft...they have time to build the team and they won't find a better building block then Garrett. Cleveland will take Garrett first because chances Mitch goes number 2 is slim to none imo but if Garrett is at 2 someone will fight you for him and he will go 2. I think the earliest you have to trade up is to 5 tops. That would be a second rd pick to go from 12-5. To go 12-2 it's a next years first (which is still likely to be a high pick) nope I don't give that up. The Titans are the logical trade partner if you feel you have to move up for Mitch. Not only are they wanting to move back but the Jets are the first team imo to take Mitch. Sorry don't see SF in market for him that high for them. If someone else moves up good for them. Still other options at 12 or in second rd and defiantly next year.

On 4/25/2017 at 8:57 PM, Smonroe said:

He tore up University of Texas

....San Antonio

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Suppose your right about trading before their selection..but as a 9er exec I'm not trading it before the pick...and then I'd take him myself or see what other teams might move up for Garrett themselves...may get more than what Cleveland will give you. Imo you keep Garrett. SF has like 10 picks I think in the draft...they have time to build the team and they won't find a better building block then Garrett. Cleveland will take Garrett first because chances Mitch goes number 2 is slim to none imo but if Garrett is at 2 someone will fight you for him and he will go 2. I think the earliest you have to trade up is to 5 tops. That would be a second rd pick to go from 12-5. To go 12-2 it's a next years first (which is still likely to be a high pick) nope I don't give that up. The Titans are the logical trade partner if you feel you have to move up for Mitch. Not only are they wanting to move back but the Jets are the first team imo to take Mitch. Sorry don't see SF in market for him that high for them. If someone else moves up good for them. Still other options at 12 or in second rd and defiantly next year.

Lol!  You're getting waaay too deep on this.  I only said there's a possibility that Cleveland could trade up for the first 2 picks.  I really doubt they do it.   But, then again, it's Cleveland....so....

19 minutes ago, BOTT said:

He tore up University of Texas

....San Antonio

You got me!  Yes, more than half of his sacks for the season were in one game.  

Before anyone goes off, we all know he's a great player, he had injuries, and sack count isn't the end all measurement.  And after his sophomore year, everyone had to gameplan for him, etc.   

On 4/25/2017 at 9:02 PM, Malakai432 said:

I felt like that article headline was so out of context. Not your fault, of course. But yahoo's headline was not close to the vibe of the actual quote IMO.

15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I felt like that article headline was so out of context. Not your fault, of course. But yahoo's headline was not close to the vibe of the actual quote IMO.

Yeah it is, he's just stating how he feels about his accomplishments but isn't really saying anything negative about MT at all.  Very misleading indeed, not shocking coming from yahoosports lol. 

16 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Ooo...sounds like a good basis for Hollywood. Someone get Kevin Costner on the phone. Draft Day 2.